***Official Aggies vs. 2019 MLB Draft Thread***

27,730 Views | 119 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Mr.Ackar07
TAL06RES
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
24601 said:

Is this surprising, given that he was just a draft eligible sophomore, drafted in the late rounds, and had ample time to improve his stock?

Not really. He's a redshirt and has a previous injury. He could potentially improve his stock by coming back, but that's far from a guarantee.
twk
AG
24601 said:

Is this surprising, given that he was just a draft eligible sophomore, drafted in the late rounds, and had ample time to improve his stock?
No. He couldn't get in the rotation this year. No guarantee he would have next year. He needs to play, and going to the minors is one way to do that.
histag10
AG
KT 90 said:

histag10 said:

CoachO_08 said:

None whatsoever

Ok. Was wondering. I heard he was still thinking about it.
You might see his agent use it as a negotiating ploy if they are still working out the dollars part of his contract, but people drafted that high aren't going the college route most likely. He did slide a bit in the draft from projections from prior years, so that might be part of the hangup. The agent is trying to maximize his contract, which is what he's supposed to do.

Wasnt from his agent. Was from someone very close to him who said he wanted to honor his commitment to a&m.
Mr.Ackar07
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/06/mlb-draft-signings-61619.html

Wolf signs over slot for $2.15 million topping JJ Goss with the signing bonus

Quote:

The Mets have agreed to a deal with second-round pick Josh Wolf, Yahoo Sports' Matt Ehalt reports, that will be finalized when Wolf passes a physical. Wolf will land a $2.15MM bonus, well above the 53rd overall pick's slot price of $1,370,400. The Mets drafted mostly college seniors among their top ten picks and have agreed to far below-slot contracts with several of them, creating bonus pool space for tougher signs like third-rounder Matthew Allan and his fellow high school right-hander in Wolf. The 18-year-old throws a plus curveball, and also saw a big velocity jump in his senior year that put his fastball consistently in the mid-90's. MLB.com ranked Wolf 36th on its prospect list, with Law (46th), BA (54th) and Fangraphs (60th) also showing strong regard for former Texas A&M commit.
Mr.Ackar07
Article on the White Sox and Matthew Thompson:

https://www.southsidesox.com/2019/6/16/18663391/white-sox-draft-signings-where-the-white-sox-stand

Quote:

TOTALS: $1,938,800 slotted - $410,000 bonuses = $1,528,800 savings

Those incredible savings certainly detail the shrewdness of the selections (and negotiations) for the fourth-to-10th round players. Those savings will be applied for not only the first three selections, but also provide extra cash to help pry prep stars drafted after the 10th round from their college verbal commitments.
Quote:

With the $210,000 excess bonuses spent thus far for picks 11-40, subtracted from the $1,528,000 saved on bonuses from picks 4-10, the White Sox still have an extra $1,318,000 that they could spend for over-slot amounts on the seven remaining selections. This doesn't even include the maximum 5% ($578,250) that the White Sox could spend on top of their bonus pool without incurring any loss of future draft picks.

Thus, having $1,896,250 available to spend should ensure the signings of not only top three White Sox picks but also help influence the signings of up to all four four remaining unsigned prep picks. In order of priority, here are the seven remaining unsigned picks as they relate to the signing bonus pool:
Quote:

Matthew Thompson (2): Thompson simply overmatched his prep opponents this year, to the tune of an 0.73 ERA and 15.4 K/9 ratio. However, he slid to the second round due to inconsistently maintaining his velocity and showing relatively poor control (5.08 BB/9). Thompson also has strong leverage, as he is verbally committed to in-state Texas A&M University. However, because his slot value is quite high at $1,650,200, he may not command a much higher bonus. Even though MLB Pipeline graded Thompson slightly lower than Dalquist at 69th, Thompson was ranked significantly higher by both Baseball America and FanGraphs. Thompson would likely be given a bonus higher than Dalquist's, and a $349,800 increase to a nice cool $2 million would get it done. Based on my projections, adding close to $350,000 to Thompson's bonus would still leave more than $650,000 in the bonus pool to play with (on top of each player's $125,000 max bonuses).

And a comment on Logan Britt coming to A&M:

Quote:

Logan Britt (35): Britt was selected so late more due to signability concerns than concerns about his play. He's a powerful bat, already has the classic right field build (65, 208 pounds), and a strong arm to boot; the only questions for Britt are attributable to swing-and-miss concerns. Britt was also a teammate of second overall selection Bobby Witt Jr. Like Thompson, he's verbally committed to Texas A&M, and has already stated that he'll be honoring that commitment. Would a possible $775,000 be enough to pry him from that commitment? It wouldn't hurt to find out. Inking Britt at that price would take the remainder of Chicago's "extra" bonus savings, however.
Mr.Ackar07
and in the comments section from that last article:

Quote:

As much as I want the Sox farm to get more talent

STOP STEALING PLAYERS FROM A&M'S RECRUITING CLASS!!!

Posted by texag10 on Jun 16, 2019 | 6:52 PM
Mr.Ackar07
https://www.talkingchop.com/2019/6/5/18649631/atlanta-braves-2019-draft-pick-signing-tracker-shea-langeliers-braden-shewmake-vaughn-grissom

According to this draft tracker, Kasey Kalich signed for $347,500
Wicked Good Ag
I would have really liked to have seen Birdwell in the potential closer role
I wonder who steps up to take the ball in the final inning in 2020
Mr.Ackar07
Wicked Good Ag said:

I would have really liked to have seen Birdwell in the potential closer role
I wonder who steps up to take the ball in the final inning in 2020
I could see Childress used there next year to limit his innings; of course that depends on if he is ready by that time frame. I think Jake Nelson could also be a good candidate for this role. He did well coming off of his injury last season.

Speculation is that Saenz might transfer this offseason; haven't heard any updates recently on this.

That would leave some combination of Lacy, Roa, Weber, Jozwiak, and Menefee in the starting rotation. Miller might also be a good option for the closer role as he could also go 2 innings when needed.
Mr.Ackar07
https://www.chron.com/sports/highschool/article/Cy-Ranch-Matthew-Thompson-AGH-baseball-hitter-14029156.php

I don't see it posted anywhere else, but this article talks with Matthew Thompson on going to play for the White Sox.

Quote:

Q: Do you have any idea what the White Sox have planned for you to start your career?

A: "I'm sure I'm just going to be pitching. I probably won't be throwing this summer. I threw a lot this spring. I'll probably get out there and work out a lot and get stronger. Basically, just work on my craft."

Q: Have you wrapped you mind around the fact that you're a professional yet?

A: "I will when I get there but it's just like I have a White Sox shirt and I have a White Sox hat. I'm not there yet."
Mr.Ackar07
Mason Cole signed for $85,000 - not bad considering the injuries and limited playing time
Mr.Ackar07
https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/blue-jays-draft-outlook-becoming-clear-fourth-rounder-robertson-signs/

Dasan Brown remains unsigned, but it looks like once the Blue Jays sign Vandy's catcher, Philip Clarke, the Blue Jay's only other top 10 round pick that remains unsigned, Brown's signing will shortly follow.
Quote:

Brown, a speedy 17-year-old from Oakville, Ont., has committed to Texas A&M, but he recently told Shi Davidi that the Blue Jays were offering "a good deal" and that he wanted to "take advantage of the opportunity presented." Some in the industry believe he'll sign an over-slot deal with the Blue Jays, who certainly have room to spend more than the recommended $678,600 bonus.

As for Clarke, it's worth noting that he's catching for a Vanderbilt team that's now playing in the College World Series. Once his season ends, talks could accelerate with the draft-eligible sophomore.
Mr.Ackar07
And Jason Ruffcorn will return to OU for his senior year: https://247sports.com/college/oklahoma/Article/Jason-Ruffcorn-Oklahoma-Sooners-returns-closer-133074182/

Quote:

I would like to say thank you to the Cincinnati Reds organization for selecting me in the draft," Ruffcorn said. "After thoughtful discussion with my family, the coaching staff and the people around me, I have decided to return to The University of Oklahoma to finish my eligibility, get my degree and help return this program to Omaha!
Mr.Ackar07
https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2019/6/26/18760030/white-sox-sign-no-3-overall-pick-andrew-vaughn

Quote:

The Sox signed high school right-hander Matthew Thompson from Cypress Ranch (Texas), their second pick and 45th overall, for $2.1 million this week.
Mr.Ackar07
Just waiting on Dasan Brown to sign now:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/blue-jays-closing-deal-canadian-outfielder-dasan-brown/

Quote:

The Toronto Blue Jays and Canadian outfielder Dasan Brown are closing in on a deal pending a physical, according to industry sources.

An athletic and super-toolsy outfielder from Oakville, Ont., the 17-year-old was the first Canadian taken in this year's draft at No. 88 overall. Slot value for the pick is $678,600 although the Blue Jays have room in their bonus pool to pay him more than that.
Mr.Ackar07
Dasan Brown signs for $800,000 - https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/blue-jays-sign-canadian-dasan-brown-800k-deal/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.