What a bunch of baloney

16,979 Views | 117 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Postal
agdad021
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Masters is in a lousy neighborhood as well maybe they will consider a move as well.
TexasRebel
AG
Houston was not very invested in the Oilers... that's why they moved to Tennessee.
Agsuffering@bulaw
And this crap about not considering the conference tournament is just that.

-The committee is supposed to consider the total body of work
-RPI is already slanted to benefit Northern teams and those playing more on the road

Either A&M or Auburn would be favored to advance out of an Austin regional, unless maybe the #3 seed had a superstud Ace in game 1. tu is not host material.

Details:

One SP with an ERA under 4!
Staff ERA of 4.36
Only the Tuesday starter is close to a K/IP (among starters)
Their closer does not even average a K/IP.
The staff allowed a .364 OBP

SLG is 430.
379 OBP.
2.72 avg.
First 4 hitters are serious, the next 5 are not

Their star, Clemens, should be pitched around. The stats suggest regular season overachievers.

EDIT:

If the committee is dishonest enough to give the sips a regional, sending us there would risk us making the committee look bad. L$U is less likely to embarrass them. for 2 reasons:

1. LSU has a "brand" comparable to or better than tu's
2. Doxakis is statistically superior to tu's #2. LSU's #2 is probably better, but not by as much.

The committee will cover itself and send us to Lubbock.
AB2
AG
Yes, the #2 seed in Austin will be favored by Vegas to advance.
Agsncws
AG
For the record, my last comment was an extremely veiled bait for someone else and a different subject that was somewhat being discussed within the thread. Though the responses make sense and were exactly as I expected.

Moving the CWS from Omaha is not a new idea, though a controversial one. Omaha has a contractual relationship with the NCAA whereby the commit capital funds for improvements and infrastructure in return for the rights to continue hosting (someone else eluded to it). Pulling the rug out from Omaha would be bad faith practice with a good business partner. With that said, at some point the time may indeed come to change things up. Moving the regionals and super regionals has probably been considered less. The "conventional wisdom" is such that fan support would only be there for instances where home teams are hosting. While I too tend to believe that conventional wisdom, Im all for challenging long standing assumptions and think the game would do well to consider other avenues from time to time (highly selective being the key here).

In all, these are highly nuanced discussions that deserve consideration rather than simple shotgun blasts of affirmative or negatives.
[url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qh0MyYgSAQsDxvvIIU3ehE1nf8WWLQEa/view?usp=sharing[/url]
TAL06RES
AG
Postal said:

You're right I haven't been to Omaha, but I'm not a casual fan either.

No big fan of college baseball would advocate for its move from Omaha. Especially with some sort of "grow the game" narrative. It doesn't make sense. But you're sticking to your guns. Very strange Hill to die on...
Sean98
AG
agdad021 said:

The Masters is in a lousy neighborhood as well maybe they will consider a move as well.
Hey you two, get your own original ideas!
powerbelly
AG
Basketball and Chain said:

Postal said:

Agsncws said:

I wonder if its possible to grow events like the Kentucky Derby or the Indy 500 by moving them around. Just a thought.
The title is not the CWS at Omaha. I know that they have the statue, and the Aggies have Omaha written in their locker room. But your analogy doesn't work. They did grow the basketball tourny by moving it around. I get that it's a tradition, and I love tradition. But sometimes, tradition has to change. A&M used to be all male, all military. Glad we changed
If you went to Omaha for the CWS, I bet your opinion would change. It's a perfect city for the championship.
I've been twice to the CWS in Omaha and I would love if the tournament moved around every year.
Jock 07
AG
TexasRebel said:

Houston was not very invested in the Oilers... that's why they moved to Tennessee.
No Houston wasn't very interested in buying bud Adams a new stadium after already dumping a ton of money into the dome at his demand.
HTH
Postal
AG
TAL06RES said:

Postal said:

No big fan of college baseball would advocate for its move from Omaha. Especially with some sort of "grow the game" narrative. It doesn't make sense. But you're sticking to your guns. Very strange Hill to die on...
It was stated earlier that the contract for Omaha goes thru 2035. I think that there is a happy medium where you could move regional or super regionals around, but keep Omaha.

I've never been to Omaha. I've never lived in that part of the country, and when my team has gone I can't get away from work. Wanting to maybe move it around won't change the fact that other fans will travel to any major city to see their team, and just maybe if it was at a location that I could make, then yes myself and other Aggies could go, or even other locals from other major cities could go to.

But by all means, let's just keep it the exact same way. This approach has always worked very well for every organization that has tried it.
Postal
AG
Sean98 said:

agdad021 said:

Hey you two, get your own original ideas!
The Masters never moved, but it has expanded, and I bet they didn't roll the greens in the 1950s or 60s.
Postal
AG
Agsncws said:

I wonder if its possible to grow events like the Kentucky Derby or the Indy 500 by moving them around. Just a thought.
As far as the Indy 500 or Kentucky Derby, those have a geographic name, and of course they wouldn't move. The CWS has traditionally been in Omaha, but it's not in the name. The cars have changed and the horse's have gotten faster. Things have changed.

The fact is that TD Ameritrade only holds 35K, and it's only been there for 7 CWS.
TAL06RES
AG
Postal said:

TAL06RES said:

Postal said:

It was stated earlier that the contract for Omaha goes thru 2035. I think that there is a happy medium where you could move regional or super regionals around, but keep Omaha.

I've never been to Omaha. I've never lived in that part of the country, and when my team has gone I can't get away from work. Wanting to maybe move it around won't change the fact that other fans will travel to any major city to see their team, and just maybe if it was at a location that I could make, then yes myself and other Aggies could go, or even other locals from other major cities could go to.

But by all means, let's just keep it the exact same way. This approach has always worked very well for every organization that has tried it.

You're right that fans of the teams will travel. However, how often and how many fans can take a week off of work? I mean, some dedicated fans, sure. But by and large, it's not feasible for a lot of folks. As you said yourself, you haven't been to Omaha, and you're far from alone. So, putting the CWS in a big league park (which due to the length isn't really feasible either) in hopes that it'll draw more folks is more than likely a fallacy.

The Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday games (both day and night) rely heavily on local support. The community in Omaha has rallied around this event and they "own" it. Everything around town for that week and a half is geared directly or indirectly towards the tournament, the teams, and the fans. It will be hard to generate that kind of support elsewhere on a one off basis, consistently.

Also, it's not like Omaha has sat on their hands and watched time pass them by. They built a new stadium, in a better part of town that was more convenient for the fans. Rosenblatt was iconic, and they tore it down and built a new park. Once it was built and the NCAA shifted to BBCOR bats and they realized the field was too big, they moved the fences in. Beer is now available (in the last 2 years) on the main concourse. Prior to that, the NCAA did not allow alcohol sales.

Growing college baseball excitement and following would be great. But to move the tournament around every year would require a massive marketing effort by the host city, venue, and NCAA to ensure the experience met or exceeded the previous experience. To me, that makes the validity of moving it around even more remote. A huge expense for a nominal gain... not a good investment proposition.
Postal
AG
I'm conceding that the CWS should not be moved from Omaha. I didn't know about the contract, and you mentioned that Omaha has been proactive about keeping it there.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.