What a bunch of baloney

16,986 Views | 117 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Postal
monarch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
College games should be played in college stadiums.
Peace for Ukraine!
MetoliusAg
dermdoc said:

Were you that smooth talking coke head on Die Hard?

Edited to add to stay away from Hans.
Underrated post.
Bunk Moreland
It means as much as you or anyone else being "sure" that auburn got hosed or that tu shouldn't have received a host.

I couldn't give 2 ****s whether you agree or disagree with me. That's why it's a discussion board. There used to be a time when it was welcomed and refreshing on this board.
dermdoc
AG
Agree
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Postal
AG
monarch said:

College games should be played in college stadiums.
Well, that settles it. Great reasons why.
Martin Cash
AG
No school with a plastic field should ever host a regional.
gemba
AG
D1 has us going to Tech and LSU to Texas.
twk
AG
Quote:

As for Omaha, it's also a minor league park that hosts 2 parallel brackets, and then plays a best of 3 on the end of that. But Omaha is not better than any other city. Any other city that hosted would also do a tremendous job. It's sweet that there are some folks in Omaha who like the SC Gamecocks, but I don't give a damn, and neither does even the most avid college baseball fan.
You are bleeding credibility out of every orifice of your body. TD Ameritrade is not a minor leauge park. The Royals minor leauge affiliate built their own park when plans were drawn up to replace Rosenblatt. They felt that TD Ameritrade would be too big.

The CWS plays those parallel brackts over about 9 days. Are you proposing to take that long for regionals?
Postal
AG
twk said:

Quote:

As for Omaha, it's also a minor league park that hosts 2 parallel brackets, and then plays a best of 3 on the end of that. But Omaha is not better than any other city. Any other city that hosted would also do a tremendous job. It's sweet that there are some folks in Omaha who like the SC Gamecocks, but I don't give a damn, and neither does even the most avid college baseball fan.
You are bleeding credibility out of every orifice of your body. TD Ameritrade is not a minor leauge park. The Royals minor leauge affiliate built their own park when plans were drawn up to replace Rosenblatt. They felt that TD Ameritrade would be too big.

The CWS plays those parallel brackts over about 9 days. Are you proposing to take that long for regionals?
Oh no, I didn't know that the only thing TD Ameritrade was used for is the CWS and the occasional Creighton Blue Jays game.

I guess you just lost credibility because they don't play a parallel bracket over 9 days at the CWS. They play a converging bracket over 9 days. The regionals would be parallel until the following weekend, but even then they could set it up like basketball, and pair two brackets that would not converge. It would take 4 days at most. If you wanted to space it out, it could take 6 with alternating days.

Nice try though. Face it, you just don't want to hear a new thought.
Agsncws
AG
I mean....you do realize that there's not a single person here who can implement your idea, right?
[url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qh0MyYgSAQsDxvvIIU3ehE1nf8WWLQEa/view?usp=sharing[/url]
W
AG
one thing I'd like to see asked of Ray Tanner...the committee chairman...

how much worse could t.u.'s RPI have been before they would not have been a host.

apparently #23 was okay. Would #25 or #28 or #30 been good enough too?
Postal
AG
Agsncws said:

I mean....you do realize that there's not a single person here who can implement your idea, right?
You're right, but there are lots of people telling me no though. It's just a thought, and so far I've answered every nay-sayer. I know it's not going to happen, but I it's fun to discuss on the internet.

Also, TexAgs knows stuff. AggieGrant busting Rhett Bomar and AD is an example. Robert Gates posting on here. General Ramirez and Johnny as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if Scott Woodard has a person who peeks here, and then brings things up to him, and then he brings it up to other ADs or the NCAA.

I'm not saying my thought will be the groundswell for this to happen. But I've presented great reasons why it should happen.

Playing in minor league and MLB parks would be fun for the players and the fans, it would offer bigger venues for more to see, which could make more $. It would alleviate the guessing games as to who hosts at the end of the year, and there could easily be planning to alleviate conflicts between the hosting ballparks home teams. There are plenty of venues available, and keeping the field manicured properly would not be a big deal with proper scheduling either.

On the other hand all I've heard is

college games should be played at college campuses. What about Bowl Games and the NCAA tournament?

don't compare baseball to other sports. Oh the horror?

MLB wouldn't go for it. Why not? Instead of 81 games they could get money on tix and concessions for 95 games. They like money too.

Think of the fans. Instead of traveling to Gainsville, FL maybe Tampa or Miami. Instead of Lubbock, Houston or Dallas. Instead of Athens, GA, Atlanta. Instead of Greenville, NC Charlotte. Instead of Palo Alto, CA, San Fran and AT&T park. Instead of St Paul, MN Wrigley Field. Instead of Corvallis, OR, Seattle Safeco Field. And to top it all off, why not rotate the site of the CWS between any of the above and Yankee Stadium, Dodger Stadium, Fenway, etc.

In baseballl only the real die-hards and families travel to regional and super regional. Don't you want there to be a larger following for College Baseball? My idea would gather some locals from these bigger cities and their suburbs to the games.

TAL06RES
AG
Postal said:

jkag89 said:

Quote:

Just because it's not broken, doesn't mean it can't be tweaked
What you are proposing isn't a "tweak" You're simply ranting because t.u. got an undeserving bid.

Also the worst thing to propose to baseball fans is a model based upon another sport., nothing will make us dig our heels in more.
Well, I get it. Baseball is a tradition heavy sport. You probably followed the Aggies before 1989. I bet though in 1989 if someone blew bubbles when the Aggies scored, then you would have thought that was sac religious then.

I'm not ranting. I brought this up because A&M is a good team. They deserve to play close to home. It does upset me that we're not hosting. All I'm really saying is, let's take out the drama at the end of the season. Let's have the sites figured out years in advance, and let's go play the CWS in MLB parks.

TD Ameritrade in Omaha hold 25K. The numbers from 2011 (I got it from Wikipedia) was just under 23K per game. What if the CWS was at Fenway that holds 37K?

Look it's something to think about. The DH was thought to be such. As a lifelong Astros fan, I thought it was not pure, and I still don't think it's pure. But I realized it was good for the game, and I think that the NL should hop on board as well. Do you want to grow the game, or just keep it the same?

It's not really something to think about. CWS at Fenway? **** that. You clearly are a casual fan of college baseball and haven't been to Omaha.
depriest1022
AG
Postal said:

Also, I'm sure I'll catch hell for this, but I'd like to discuss it anyway.

Why not just have the site picked out years in advance a la the NCAA basketball tourny.

You could have host minor league parks, or maybe even MLB parks for Super Regions and the CWS.

I know that it won't happen because $$$. But why does Omaha get that economic blessing every year? How fun would it be if the first round this year was in places like OKC, San Antonio, Nashville, Richmond, Albuquerque, etc. Follow that up with the Supers at San Fran Giants Park, Atlanta, Phoenix, Dallas, or Houston. Finally, how cool would it be to have the CWS at Fenway, Yankee Stadium, or as I mentioned Minute Maid or Globe Life?

The argument that college ball should be played at college parks is weak. The NCAA basketball tourny is no less exciting, and UNC, Duke, UCLA, Kansas, Michigan, etc. don't host for the first rounds. However, their team and fans may only have to travel a short way--- Kentucky to Nashville as an example. The other 3 teams might be near, but then again they might not? Still makes for great ball games. The fans would still travel, and this BS of not getting to be host at the end of the season would be eliminated.

Omaha is special because they invested in college baseball before it began blowing up. That city does a fantastic job with the CWS and it will (& should) be there for a long time.
Postal
AG
depriest1022 said:

Postal said:

Also, I'm sure I'll catch hell for this, but I'd like to discuss it anyway.

Why not just have the site picked out years in advance a la the NCAA basketball tourny.

You could have host minor league parks, or maybe even MLB parks for Super Regions and the CWS.

I know that it won't happen because $$$. But why does Omaha get that economic blessing every year? How fun would it be if the first round this year was in places like OKC, San Antonio, Nashville, Richmond, Albuquerque, etc. Follow that up with the Supers at San Fran Giants Park, Atlanta, Phoenix, Dallas, or Houston. Finally, how cool would it be to have the CWS at Fenway, Yankee Stadium, or as I mentioned Minute Maid or Globe Life?

The argument that college ball should be played at college parks is weak. The NCAA basketball tourny is no less exciting, and UNC, Duke, UCLA, Kansas, Michigan, etc. don't host for the first rounds. However, their team and fans may only have to travel a short way--- Kentucky to Nashville as an example. The other 3 teams might be near, but then again they might not? Still makes for great ball games. The fans would still travel, and this BS of not getting to be host at the end of the season would be eliminated.

Omaha is special because they invested in college baseball before it began blowing up. That city does a fantastic job with the CWS and it will (& should) be there for a long time.
I get it. I don't hate Omaha. I've never been, and maybe I'll change my mind if I ever go to a CWS there.

But at the same time, sentimental thoughts are not why it should be kept there.

I know that it will stay, and I'm sure that there is a contract for it to stay there for a very long time.
trm94
AG
Why does this surprise any of you? You already knew this was going to happen right down to Minnesota hosting.

What is more, the sips will get an easy path to Omaha - wait and see
depriest1022
AG
Postal said:

They're going to play baseball not football. All that standing around by 3 dudes in the outfield is not going to completely tear it up. Also, the most that would happen would be 14 games in 4 days. The Minute Maid Classic plays 9 games in 3 days. It is played at the beginning of March, and the regular season MLB doesn't start until the end of March. Also, this year the Astros have a 11 day road stand (I'm just using them as an example) from 7-18 June. If you added one more series and make it a full 14 days away, then there would be plenty of time to rehab the field.

Also, your example was from 20 years ago. Baseball is in an upswing, and I believe there will be more and more of the next generation playing and watching baseball.

You obviously don't have a clue. Just stop please.
depriest1022
AG
Most minor league parks pale in comparison to your run of the mill SEC stadium. I went to a game tonight in Arvest ballpark (northwest Arkansas naturals stadium). It is a AA park that seats about 7k. An average weekend crowd at Baum Stadium will be 9k with crowds up to 13.5k for LSU or the Aggies. College stadiums have more character than minor league ballpark that are usually a giant set of billboard ads.

It is ludicrous to suggest changing the format because tu stole a bid from uconn.
Postal
AG
depriest1022 said:

Postal said:

They're going to play baseball not football. All that standing around by 3 dudes in the outfield is not going to completely tear it up. Also, the most that would happen would be 14 games in 4 days. The Minute Maid Classic plays 9 games in 3 days. It is played at the beginning of March, and the regular season MLB doesn't start until the end of March. Also, this year the Astros have a 11 day road stand (I'm just using them as an example) from 7-18 June. If you added one more series and make it a full 14 days away, then there would be plenty of time to rehab the field.

Also, your example was from 20 years ago. Baseball is in an upswing, and I believe there will be more and more of the next generation playing and watching baseball.

You obviously don't have a clue. Just stop please.
Please explain how I'm clueless. I'm not a turf expert. But let's say that they play up to 14 games over a 7 day period. That would be 2 games a day, and alternating days for each bracket in an 8 team parallel bracket. This would also be the worst case scenario, i.e. the the team coming out of the loser's bracket comes all the way back to beat the winner's bracket team twice.

So let's say all of the games get played. Do you know for sure that one week "recovery" for the field would be enough for a MLB field? You're right I'm clueless, so if you know please explain this to me.
Postal
AG
depriest1022 said:

Most minor league parks pale in comparison to your run of the mill SEC stadium. I went to a game tonight in Arvest ballpark (northwest Arkansas naturals stadium). It is a AA park that seats about 7k. An average weekend crowd at Baum Stadium will be 9k with crowds up to 13.5k for LSU or the Aggies. College stadiums have more character than minor league ballpark that are usually a giant set of billboard ads.

It is ludicrous to suggest changing the format because tu stole a bid from uconn.
I'm not saying that this should happen because Texas is hosting an we're not. Bad form on my part for not starting another thread.

Does Texas deserve to host. No. But I also don't think that Stetson should host either! Stetson might have a good team, but their 20 year old stadium holds 2500. What if at the beginning of the year, Tropicana Field was the known host site. Stetson would be the number 1 seed at Tampa. Also, instead of Tampa it could be at Atlanta, Miami, or the Jacksonville, FL minor league stadium. This would depend if it was an 8 host with 8 teams or 16 hosts with 4 teams.

Again, the character argument and romance of a college stadium are lost when you factor in a stadium like the one Stetson has.
depriest1022
AG
First, turf doesn't react well to all the the BP and infield that take place in that compressed time. There is a lot more to baseball tournaments (& games) than you see on the tube. It isn't 3 outfielders just standing around.

Second, most minor league parks are less prepared to host 4 (or as you proposed 8) different baseball clubs at the same times. Colleges use the co-located athletic facilities to insure the non-host schools are treated in style (not shoehorned into little used storage rooms that smell of rat turds).

Third, the schools that host are typically going to be close to sellouts for the regional with local people. The nearby minor league facilities usually have LOWER capacity than an Alex Box, Baum, Disch-Falk or Blue Bell. You would make it to where fewer people could attend (including season ticket holders that are there in the brutal February cold games).

Finally, the city of Omaha embraced and welcomed college baseball a long time before television helped make it popular. They made investments in TD ameritrade over and above what a AAA ballpark would need. There would be an all-out riot among long time CWS fans if the ncaa said we're going to Fenway or yankee stadium. That's just flat out "kookie talk."

Edit: You are also suggesting that MLB now add yet another constraint to a scheduling problem that basically takes a supercomputer to figure out. "Sure, let's keep X team on the road three extra days because some unaffiliated entity wants to use X's field for their tournament."

Postal
AG
depriest1022 said:

First, turf doesn't react well to all the the BP and infield that take place in that compressed time. There is a lot more to baseball tournaments (& games) than you see on the tube. It isn't 3 outfielders just standing around.

Second, most minor league parks are less prepared to host 4 (or as you proposed 8) different baseball clubs at the same times. Colleges use the co-located athletic facilities to insure the non-host schools are treated in style (not shoehorned into a little used storage room that smells of rat turds).

Third, the schools that host are typically going to be close to sellout the regional with local people. The nearby minor league facilities usually have LOWER capacity than an Alex Box, Baum, Disch-Falk or Blue Bell. You would make where fewer people could attend (including season ticket holders that are there in the brutal February cold games).

Finally, the city of Omaha embraced and welcomed college baseball a long time before television helped make it popular. They made investments in TD ameritrade over and above what a AAA ballpark would need. There would be an all-out riot among long time CWS fans if the ncaa said we're going to Fenway or yankee stadium. That's just flat out "kookier talk."
Honest question. Do they take BP between games at any level of the NCAA playoffs, or is it all done in the morning? I imagine taking BP anywhere other than the field that will be played on is seriously frowned upon, but has that ever happened? It might be hard if it was done for more than a week, but is a week of morning BP and fielding, shagging, stretching, followed by 2 games too much? It does happen at the CWS on a natural turf, but there is nothing to follow it afterward.

I started by saying that the 16 pre-planned sites should be minor league parks. I later suggested that it could be 8 MLB parks with 8 teams at each. It could be a combination too. Maybe 8 minor league sites with 4 teams, and 4 MLB sites with 8 teams. Either way, there would not be any team showering in a basement. Again, I'll use the NCAA basketball tourny, they have enough locker room space, but they also practice in different gyms throughout the city. There would be some spare ball parks used, and yes that would be some of the logistical challenges, but it could be done.

Also, Alex Box and Baum Stadium are the exception. Even Blue Bell Park comfortably holds 6, and then they can pack it in for a big playoff game. These locals and the die-hards would still travel to Dell Diamond, Wolfe Stadium, or Minute Maid or Globe Life. Instead of Baum Stadium being the host site, they would go to OKC or Globe Life, Busch Stadium, or KC Royals park.

Again, It doesn't really matter that Omaha invested heavily. I don't care. The Dodgers left Brooklyn, The Oilers left Houston. Were those towns not invested?

Look, I know that I'm arguing for something that will likely never happen. But, people would have said the same thing about conference championship football games, the Aggies to the SEC, the CFP, or an AFL and NFL merger, and Trump becoming president. I guess my point is that crazier things have happened.

Thanks for the discussion.
Postal
AG
You're right I haven't been to Omaha, but I'm not a casual fan either.
Sean98
AG
Postal said:

These locals and the die-hards would still travel to Dell Diamond, Wolfe Stadium, or Minute Maid or Globe Life. Instead of Baum Stadium being the host site, they would go to OKC or Globe Life, Busch Stadium, or KC Royals park.

The Big XII tried this same thing with their conference tournament by moving it from OKC to the Ballpark in Arlington. Bigger metro, bigger ballpark, bigger event, right?

WRONG It was a disaster. The is a reality of "right-wing" your venue. If you think you'll have 12,000 people don't put it in a 40,000 person stadium. It sucks all the life out of the event. It did significant damage to the conference tournament and took them the better part of a decade to recover.

Further, the BigXII tourney in OKC or the CWS in Omaha is an EVENT. The town's rally around it. Bringing 20,000 people to Dallas, Boston, New York or LA is nothing. The concierge at the hotel will barely wake up and answer the phone for that.

Again, It doesn't really matter that Omaha invested heavily. I don't care. The Dodgers left Brooklyn, The Oilers left Houston. Were those towns not invested?

You should care. It helps prove how much the town is willing to make the tournament an "experience." A trip to Omaha is a bucket list trip for baseball fans because of the venue and the mystique of Omaha. The Final 4 on the other hand is only interesting to the teams in it that year.

And no, Houston and Brooklyn weren't invested. They had crappy, old facilities that were out of date and they refused to upgraded them. By their very action (or lack thereof) they proved they weren't invested.

W
AG
another thing that crossed my mind...

with the committee now seeding #1 thru #16...it's likely that the travel costs for the SR round will increase and perhaps increase considerably. Such that going forward the committee has to make up for some of that increase in the regional round.

and giving the horns a host spot as opposed to UConn or Auburn helps that situation. The Austin regional is primed to have all "bus" teams. No airplane expenses

AB2
AG
Not all of college towns have nice, major airports in town. Austin does have that, making flights from the midwest more affordable and limiting the post-arrival transportation costs.
Agsncws
AG
I wonder if its possible to grow events like the Kentucky Derby or the Indy 500 by moving them around. Just a thought.
[url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qh0MyYgSAQsDxvvIIU3ehE1nf8WWLQEa/view?usp=sharing[/url]
Agsuffering@bulaw
Most Neutral site venues feel sterile and dead, at least in college sports. The Arkie game in Jerruhworld sucks. Every bowl I have attended, other than maybe the Rose Bowl sucks. JFF scorching ou in the CB was fun, because of JFF not the venue.

I saw hoops play UCLA in Anaheim. It sucked. I saw hoops play in the B12 Tourney in Dallas, it was ok b/c we were playing tu, but not the same as Reed. It would have sucked if we were playing a team from the north.

Omaha is one of the rare exceptions (or at least it was when I went 20 years ago). The locals grow up going to the CWS, selling concessions at the CWS, taking their kids to the CWS, etc. Other than Huskers football, that is their thing. It would be impossible to replicate.

--Caveat: most of you know more. I follow the Ags, and occasionally look at the stats or read a report on interesting opponents. I have not watched a non-Aggie CBB game in a decade.--

depriest1022
AG
Agsncws said:

I wonder if its possible to grow events like the Kentucky Derby or the Indy 500 by moving them around. Just a thought.

Double blue star
Postal
AG
Agsncws said:

The title is not the CWS at Omaha. I know that they have the statue, and the Aggies have Omaha written in their locker room. But your analogy doesn't work. They did grow the basketball tourny by moving it around. I get that it's a tradition, and I love tradition. But sometimes, tradition has to change. A&M used to be all male, all military. Glad we changed.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Postal said:

Agsncws said:

The title is not the CWS at Omaha. I know that they have the statue, and the Aggies have Omaha written in their locker room. But your analogy doesn't work. They did grow the basketball tourny by moving it around. I get that it's a tradition, and I love tradition. But sometimes, tradition has to change. A&M used to be all male, all military. Glad we changed.

NCAA is under contract through the year 2035 to have the CWS in Omaha...they signed a 25 year extension in 2008 and will probably sign another extension in 2035
Dobre casy
AG
I can see this scenario happening.

NCAA to Texas:

Good news: We're gifting you a regional.

Bad news: We're putting a higher-ranked RPI team as your #2.

Good luck!
Postal
AG
Sean98 said:

Postal said:

The Big XII tried this same thing with their conference tournament by moving it from OKC to the Ballpark in Arlington. Bigger metro, bigger ballpark, bigger event, right?

WRONG It was a disaster. The is a reality of "right-wing" your venue. If you think you'll have 12,000 people don't put it in a 40,000 person stadium. It sucks all the life out of the event. It did significant damage to the conference tournament and took them the better part of a decade to recover.

Further, the BigXII tourney in OKC or the CWS in Omaha is an EVENT. The town's rally around it. Bringing 20,000 people to Dallas, Boston, New York or LA is nothing. The concierge at the hotel will barely wake up and answer the phone for that.

So you're using the Big 12 as an example of what not to do? Perfect. That was nearly 2 decades ago. Also, of the 8 teams that went to the Rangers Ballpark in 2002 and in 2004, only 5 teams made the NCAA tournament both years. That means there were 3 teams that probably only traveled families and a few die hards (if that) I'm not talking about conference tournaments though. I'm talking about the NCAA tournament.

You should care. It helps prove how much the town is willing to make the tournament an "experience." A trip to Omaha is a bucket list trip for baseball fans because of the venue and the mystique of Omaha. The Final 4 on the other hand is only interesting to the teams in it that year.

And no, Houston and Brooklyn weren't invested. They had crappy, old facilities that were out of date and they refused to upgraded them. By their very action (or lack thereof) they proved they weren't invested.

But the fans were invested. The town was invested. Some decision makers weren't invested at the time that they left.

Postal
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

Postal said:

Agsncws said:

NCAA is under contract through the year 2035 to have the CWS in Omaha...they signed a 25 year extension in 2008 and will probably sign another extension in 2035
Well, there you have it! It's still fun to think about what could be. It's also fun to catch shizz from y'all too.
Basketball and Chain
AG
Postal said:

Agsncws said:

The title is not the CWS at Omaha. I know that they have the statue, and the Aggies have Omaha written in their locker room. But your analogy doesn't work. They did grow the basketball tourny by moving it around. I get that it's a tradition, and I love tradition. But sometimes, tradition has to change. A&M used to be all male, all military. Glad we changed
If you went to Omaha for the CWS, I bet your opinion would change. It's a perfect city for the championship.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.