What a bunch of baloney

17,015 Views | 117 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Postal
dermdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You are correct. Sorry. They actually had them as the number 11 seed before the Big 12 tourney.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Postal
AG
Like I said, this is measurable, and maybe only having 8 sites instead of 16 would fix that pesky $ problem.
HoustonAg2106
AG
dermdoc said:

You are correct. Sorry. They actually had them as the number 11 seed before the Big 12 tourney.

Those are the only two baseball sites that I follow though, well besides Espn
twk
AG
Postal said:

Like I said, this is measurable, and maybe only having 8 sites instead of 16 would fix that pesky $ problem.
So, you'd play 2 parallel tournaments on the same field? Have you ever been to one of these? Did you watch any of the SEC tournament? Rain would be a nightmare.
AB2
AG
twk said:

Postal said:

So, you'd play 2 parallel tournaments on the same field? Have you ever been to one of these? Did you watch any of the SEC tournament? Rain would be a nightmare.

Then only play them at minor league parks that have retractable roofs, duh.
Shane Minks
AG
Auburn has a much bigger gripe than us. We finished 11th in the conference and 2-7 in our last 9 conference games. We had a great showing in the conference tourney, but probably needed to sweep through it to have a legit shot to host.

Either way, I believe we have a great shot to win any regional we are sent to. Looking forward to seeing where we're sent tomorrow!!!
DenverAg91
AG
I don't think it's a ridiculous claim to say A&M should have hosted

Softball awarded Kentucky a regional with an 8-15 SEC record (they had a 13 RPI), you shouldn't penalize teams for being in a tougher conference, strength of schedule should matter.

Auburn also probably deserved it more than tu for the above reasons
Postal
AG
twk said:

Postal said:

Too little fan interest? This is measurable. I guess we can take a look at all 16 host site attendance figures after next weekend, and then see if a nearby minor league park could hold the same.
What's the point of going to a "nearby minor league park." If you did neutral site regionals, you'd have them scattered across the country politically, rather than based upon where the 1 seeds were likely to be located. They would solicit bids to host (used to do this back in the day), but would end up giving regionals to minor leauge parks in California, the upper Midwest, and Northeast, that bid $75k
I'll go back to the basketball parallel. It works just fine for them, and that tournament makes the NCAA more money than anything else.

Let's use this year as an example, and let's go big because we're Texans! Minute Maid puts in a bid to host an opening weekend, and it's one of only 8 host sites that host 8 teams. So you'd have two brackets going on at the same time. First thing's first, weather is taken out of the equation. Second, let's start naming the teams that would be in the Houston Regional--- A&M, Texas, Baylor, Houston, Sam, LSU, Dallas Baptist, Kentucky. It would be nuts, but there would be plenty of room, parking, etc. I don't know how the money works, but the Aggies played at the Charlotte NBA stadium this year in the basketball tournament, and again the NCAA makes money. It might not always work our regionally like I've stated, but then again, neither does the basketball tourny.

Again, this is measurable, and when we know the entire field tomorrow, I can update this and other sites with a realistic 8 site bracket.

Shane Minks
AG
TXMatt15 said:

Softball awarded Kentucky a regional with an 8-15 SEC record (they had a 13 RPI), you shouldn't penalize teams for being in a tougher conference, strength of schedule should matter.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't baseball have a lot more parity than softball? Kind of an apples to oranges comparison.
twk
AG
Postal said:

twk said:

Postal said:

Too little fan interest? This is measurable. I guess we can take a look at all 16 host site attendance figures after next weekend, and then see if a nearby minor league park could hold the same.
What's the point of going to a "nearby minor league park." If you did neutral site regionals, you'd have them scattered across the country politically, rather than based upon where the 1 seeds were likely to be located. They would solicit bids to host (used to do this back in the day), but would end up giving regionals to minor leauge parks in California, the upper Midwest, and Northeast, that bid $75k
I'll go back to the basketball parallel. It works just fine for them, and that tournament makes the NCAA more money than anything else.

Let's use this year as an example, and let's go big because we're Texans! Minute Maid puts in a bid to host an opening weekend, and it's one of only 8 host sites that host 8 teams. So you'd have two brackets going on at the same time. First thing's first, weather is taken out of the equation. Second, let's start naming the teams that would be in the Houston Regional--- A&M, Texas, Baylor, Houston, Sam, LSU, Dallas Baptist, Kentucky. It would be nuts, but there would be plenty of room, parking, etc. I don't know how the money works, but the Aggies played at the Charlotte NBA stadium this year in the basketball tournament, and again the NCAA makes money. It might not always work our regionally like I've stated, but then again, neither does the basketball tourny.

Again, this is measurable, and when we know the entire field tomorrow, I can update this and other sites with a realistic 8 site bracket.

MLB won't let their teams host conference tournaments because of the wear and tear on the field (didn't like what happened at Arlington when the Big XII played there). No way they go for your type of set up.
Postal
AG
twk said:

Postal said:

Dude, they did it at Hoover, AL didn't they? After the play in game, there were 8 teams remaining. They battled weather, but they got it all in. Also, this would be playoffs, and if they had to finish on Monday or Tuesday then it's not a big deal, they do it now anyway.

jkag89
Postal said:

Okay, then pick 8 and have 8 teams at each site. It's what they do for the SEC tournament. School is out, people will still come to the games. Again the NCAA basketball tournament (mens and womens) spills over into the weekdays, and people still attend.

Why do you think having eight sites is going to mean t.u. is not going to host when it is not deserved? Before the the expansion from 48 to 64, there were eight six team tournaments and more often than not during the era of college ball there was a regional in Austin. Most of the time the sips deserved to host, but not always.

Baseball is not boundyball. Just because a certain model works well for basketball does not mean it will work for baseball. The regional bid systems works for baseball,, it is the second most profitable NCAA championship behind the men's basketball tournament which makes the lion share of its profit through TV rights not ticket sales.

As for why Omaha should get to host the CWS every year. First, the city does a tremendous job of hosting year in and year out. The cities residents often adopt the teams as their own especially those that make regular appearances. Second, the city made a big commitment to the event building a brand new ballpark to host the event. The event is synonymous with Omaha now. There are not chants of CWS when a team achieves a berth but chants of Omaha.
HoustonAg2106
AG
TXMatt15 said:

If A&M had been selected to host I agree that wouldn't be ridiculous, but when you finish 11th place in your conference is it really a shock when you're not selected to host? The horns strength of schedule was close to ours and they won their conference (2nd best conference in terms of rpi)
Sean98
AG
Shane Minks said:

TXMatt15 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't baseball have a lot more parity than softball? Kind of an apples to oranges comparison.
A LOT more parity. Top 16 seeds advanced to the Supers, Top 8 all advanced to WCWS.
jkag89
Dude, this is a ridiculous over reaction to the sips hosting. I rather have an occasional undeserving host than eff with a system that works very well for baseball.
Wicked Good Ag
Shane Minks said:

TXMatt15 said:

I would think softball will have 3-4 SEC teams 3-4 PAC 12 teams Oklahoma and then one or two others every year in the WCWS. all 16 host seeds advanced and also the host won the super regionals this year
Sean98
AG
Postal said:

twk said:

Postal said:

Dude, they did it at Hoover, AL didn't they? After the play in game, there were 8 teams remaining. They battled weather, but they got it all in. Also, this would be playoffs, and if they had to finish on Monday or Tuesday then it's not a big deal, they do it now anyway.

Hoover's "8 team" tournament (removing the first day single elimination games) is a planned 5 day tourney. FIVE. Without rain delays. They begin playing at 9:30am. Little/no room to squeeze in a rained out game. Do you really think we should be playing actual post season games at 9:30? The current regionals are 3 days. Games begin in the afternoon, one night game, you have extra space in the morning to make up and weather delayed games if necessary.

There is nothing wrong with the current regional format. It doesn't need to be changed. Moving to the 8 team regional "neutral" site would increase costs as well be extending hotel stays and requiring 16 more teams to travel.
Postal
AG
They're going to play baseball not football. All that standing around by 3 dudes in the outfield is not going to completely tear it up. Also, the most that would happen would be 14 games in 4 days. The Minute Maid Classic plays 9 games in 3 days. It is played at the beginning of March, and the regular season MLB doesn't start until the end of March. Also, this year the Astros have a 11 day road stand (I'm just using them as an example) from 7-18 June. If you added one more series and make it a full 14 days away, then there would be plenty of time to rehab the field.

Also, your example was from 20 years ago. Baseball is in an upswing, and I believe there will be more and more of the next generation playing and watching baseball.
jkag89
Postal said:

They're going to play baseball not football. All that standing around by 3 dudes in the outfield is not going to completely tear it up. Also, the most that would happen would be 14 games in 4 days. The Minute Maid Classic plays 9 games in 3 days. It is played at the beginning of March, and the regular season MLB doesn't start until the end of March. Also, this year the Astros have a 11 day road stand (I'm just using them as an example) from 7-18 June. If you added one more series and make it a full 14 days away, then there would be plenty of time to rehab the field.

Also, your example was from 20 years ago. Baseball is in an upswing, and I believe there will be more and more of the next generation playing and watching baseball.
There is a reason that MLB no longer allows tournaments on its field during the season. It is not because they don't want to help popularize the college game, it is because such tournaments are tough on fields.

Long road trips are when ground cres take care of fields to keep the pristine. The last thing they want is multiple games being played when the home team is away.
CapCityAg89
AG
dermdoc said:

D1 already leaked it last week when they had them as the #12 seed. I predict they are 13-14.

Back on topic - IF Texas isn't the 16 paired with UF, I would eat up that 2 seed. Texas is a mediocre baseball team that lucked into a slot vacated by an epic collapse (OSU). If we got sent there, I'd be thrilled as by every metric we are the better team.
dermdoc
AG
Agree but I would rather go to Lubbock as I do not think Tech is any better than tu. And the super pairing would be better.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Postal
AG
jkag89 said:

Postal said:

Okay, then pick 8 and have 8 teams at each site. It's what they do for the SEC tournament. School is out, people will still come to the games. Again the NCAA basketball tournament (mens and womens) spills over into the weekdays, and people still attend.

Why do you think having eight sites is going to mean t.u. is not going to host when it is not deserved? Before the the expansion from 48 to 64, there were eight six team tournaments and more often than not during the era of college ball there was a regional in Austin. Most of the time the sips deserved to host, but not always.

Baseball is not boundyball. Just because a certain model works well for basketball does not mean it will work for baseball. The regional bid systems works for baseball,, it is the second most profitable NCAA championship behind the men's basketball tournament which makes the lion share of its profit through TV rights not ticket sales.

As for why Omaha should get to host the CWS every year. First, the city does a tremendous job of hosting year in and year out. The cities residents often adopt the teams as their own especially those that make regular appearances. Second, the city made a big commitment to the event building a brand new ballpark to host the event. The event is synonymous with Omaha now. There are not chants of CWS when a team achieves a berth but chants of Omaha.
First, I'm sure I've said it before in your threads, but thanks for taking care of conference and regional scores on this forum. This forum is my fist and only stop to get caught up with that.

I gave an example on another response using Minute Maid as an example. I also mentioned that it is done at the SEC tournament in an outdoor Minor League Ballpark. In the Minute Maid example, A&M and Texas would be the 1 seed. Maybe it won't work out every year, but we would probably agree that at least one team from Texas would be worthy of a 1 seed each year. Maybe some years it's in Houston or Dallas, but it could also be in Dell Diamond or San Antonio. Even if Minute Maid hosted and the teams were Texas, Arkansas, SE Louisiana, Mizzou, Southern Miss, Memphis, Creighton, and New Mexico (all just examples) then there would still be 10,000 plus at the games, and not 35,000 if the teams were from TX, OK, LA, MS.

I agree baseball is not basketball. But I think this model is not truly maximizing exposure of college baseball. Just because it's not broken, doesn't mean it can't be tweaked. It is the second best, but really it's third. Football is king. You're also right in that basketball makes a lot of money through TV, but if the NCAA baseball could double it's cut by playing in a little bit bigger stadiums, then why not?

As for Omaha, it's also a minor league park that hosts 2 parallel brackets, and then plays a best of 3 on the end of that. But Omaha is not better than any other city. Any other city that hosted would also do a tremendous job. It's sweet that there are some folks in Omaha who like the SC Gamecocks, but I don't give a damn, and neither does even the most avid college baseball fan.

Postal
AG
It could be done. I've shown the numbers. I knew I'd open a can of worms when I brought this up.

We'll never know, because there are too many folks who just want it to stay the way it is.

Also, if college baseball playoffs were crazy successful in June, and then the host team goes on a big run to toward the playoffs in July, August, September, then the attendance numbers and overall popluarity for the MLB team would certainly jump as well.
dermdoc
AG
Were you that smooth talking coke head on Die Hard?

Edited to add to stay away from Hans.
DenverAg91
AG
D1 Baseball has the Longhorns as a 12 seed (updated tonight) paired with the Arkansas regional

You can make a legitimate argument for the Longhorns as a top 16 seed and I think that's reasonable but I just don't see how you could say they are deserving to be as high as 12. That seems like you are rewarding them based off their name, not performance.
jkag89
Quote:

Just because it's not broken, doesn't mean it can't be tweaked
What you are proposing isn't a "tweak" You're simply ranting because t.u. got an undeserving bid.

Also the worst thing to propose to baseball fans is a model based upon another sport., nothing will make us dig our heels in more.
Sean98
AG
Postal said:

As for Omaha, it's also a minor league park that hosts 2 parallel brackets, and then plays a best of 3 on the end of that. But Omaha is not better than any other city. Any other city that hosted would also do a tremendous job. It's sweet that there are some folks in Omaha who like the SC Gamecocks, but I don't give a damn, and neither does even the most avid college baseball fan.

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to say here but the avid come baseball fan does care. Taking the CWS out of Omaha would be like having the Indy 500 in Arizona, the Kentucky Derby at Remington Downs, or playing the Master's at (insert your local golf course here)... OMAHA is the goal, the destination, the dream. So much so that you can get in trouble for saying the word too early in the season. And it has been for longer than even the really old farts on this board can remember.
Sean98
AG
jkag89 said:

Quote:

What you are proposing isn't a "tweak" You're simply ranting because t.u. got an undeserving bid.

Also the worst thing to propose to baseball fans is a model based upon another sport., nothing will make us dig our heels in more.
You shut your mouth! Basketball is NOT a sport!
Sean98
AG
TXMatt15 said:

D1 Baseball has the Longhorns as a 12 seed (updated tonight) paired with the Arkansas regional

You can make a legitimate argument for the Longhorns as a top 16 seed and I think that's reasonable but I just don't see how you could say they are deserving to be as high as 12. That seems like you are rewarding them based off their name, not performance.
Because you are. But pairing them with WooPig is brutal. Also, Arkie as a 5 seed is too low IMO.
Postal
AG
dermdoc said:

Were you that smooth talking coke head on Die Hard?

Edited to add to stay away from Hans.
No, I just wanted to talk about how we could possibly get away from this business at the end of the year where schools are randomly awarded host sites. I've obviously upset the apple cart. I'm not trying to troll anyone. I'm being sincere.

Keeping things the same is easy. This year is the first year that the top 16 will be nationally matched and seeded. We know that it should have been done years ago. Just like we know that there should have been a CFP years ago as well.

The Aggies had a good season. They should be one of the top 16 teams, and they should play close to home. All I'm suggesting is that we have a better handle on where we will go at the end of the season. It would definitely be easier on you, as you wouldn't have to make hotel reservations in every city with a chance of hosting! You would know the host cities over a year in advance, and then you would only have 8 reservations to make instead of 16.
Tadpole
AG
Just win baby... we will get what wr deserve. We played well in the tourney...let's hope it continues in our regional!
jkag89
Sean98 said:

jkag89 said:

Quote:

You shut your mouth! Basketball is NOT a sport!

I will make the proper mea culpa to the baseball gods.
Postal
AG
jkag89 said:

Quote:

Well, I get it. Baseball is a tradition heavy sport. You probably followed the Aggies before 1989. I bet though in 1989 if someone blew bubbles when the Aggies scored, then you would have thought that was sac religious then.

I'm not ranting. I brought this up because A&M is a good team. They deserve to play close to home. It does upset me that we're not hosting. All I'm really saying is, let's take out the drama at the end of the season. Let's have the sites figured out years in advance, and let's go play the CWS in MLB parks.

TD Ameritrade in Omaha hold 25K. The numbers from 2011 (I got it from Wikipedia) was just under 23K per game. What if the CWS was at Fenway that holds 37K?

Look it's something to think about. The DH was thought to be such. As a lifelong Astros fan, I thought it was not pure, and I still don't think it's pure. But I realized it was good for the game, and I think that the NL should hop on board as well. Do you want to grow the game, or just keep it the same?
Emilio Fantastico
AG
dermdoc said:

Agree but I would rather go to Lubbock as I do not think Tech is any better than tu. And the super pairing would be better.

There's also the added bonus of not having to worry about how bad the umps are going to screw you over when playing in Austin.
MetoliusAg
Bunk Moreland said:

etcetera said:

Iirc, the selection commitee does count all games between conf members as conference games when compiling a team's conference record. It can be a conf tournament game or even a Wednesday game.

Here's a post from Gabe Bock of texags staff:
Quote:

...keep in mind that the committee counts any game played during the year against a conference opponent as a league game. So while the random "out-of-conference" midweek game between Ole Miss and Mississippi State doesn't count in the league standings, it's still a conference game as far as tournament selection goes. The same goes for the SEC Tournament games. So in order to really help itself with the committee, Texas A&M needs to make a nice little run in Hoover.

https://texags.com/s/28383/diamond-notes-examining-postseason-hopes-as-am-heads-to-hoover

That may be what they say but all I'm telling you is human nature doesn't change and they still view regular season conference record in a bucket.

If a different team in the big 12 won more games in the tourney that 0-2 tu and overtook them in total wins, they weren't going to just magically say the other team won the conference.

Imo that's the committee providing lip service to cover themselves when they make a major swing up on a team that goes on a conference tourney run.
Oh, you're saying it? Well, then, that changes everything.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.