Why don't we have any weekend series with regional rivals?

9,086 Views | 141 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TXAggie2011
TXAggie2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dermdoc said:

So you are saying do not play any cupcakes? If so, I disagree. And I think if you play a weekend series with the sips, Baylor, or whomever, no coach is going to schedule a home and home with a respectable West Coast team. And we play tech, tcu, and Baylor at the Minute Maid classic and tu in a midweek game. Plus I know the players and coaches like the West Coast trips and it can't hurt recruiting, correct?

Tell me the upside of playing a weekend series against any of the teams you mentioned.

Nope. Need some cupcakes to get the gears rolling sometimes, certainly.

A cupcake opening weekend is always a nice way to bring in a bad club and still have butts in the seats, too.

But I did say I'd like to see some better stuff on the weekends at Olsen.

Further, the Minute Maid has not always been a dependable source of RPI help. Nor have we gone every year, right? So like I said earlier, I'd look to be more proactive that weekend. It's worked out well this year, at least it should. It often doesn't.

If some of the schedule tweaks have to be made midweek, that's fine by me. I'm not the one pushing weekends the hardest. That might be the way forward with the Longhorns.

We've shown the willingness to get to the west coast and go somewhere when the west coast comes here.

The upside is intereting, helpful games. Scheduling a little better helps the RPI. And regional teams help the atmosphere at the game. If your feelings are still hurt you don't have to go to those games and you can duke it out on the internet.
TXAggie2011
AG
I do doubt the kids were thrilled they got to go to Fresno a few years ago.
dermdoc
AG
My feelings do not get hurt. I just fail to see any upside except for some fans who can't let the Big 12 go. Ask the players if they would rather go to Waco or say Notre Dame. Or FSU. I am fine with your idea of interesting games and helping the rpi. I do not want to help out teams like the sips, bears, owls, frogs, etc. with a home and home weekend series with those guys. And trust me, no matter the outcome, it helps them more than it helps us.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

I do doubt the kids were thrilled they got to go to Fresno a few years ago.
Actually I made the trip and they were pumped.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Buford T. Justice
AG
I've never understood why college baseball can't have a major early season tournament. Ideally comprised of: ACC, SEC, PAC-14, Big 12. Only the top three teams from each conference as based on the previous years final standings.

You end your season in tournament play. Why would you not want to get an early season tournament in so that you know what you've got and what you need to work on? It's all about the end result, and thats winning the CWS, so why not get CWS like games under your belt early?

Aside from that, how does Rice score cool looking uni's from Adidas, and we always get the muti-color stripe assortment pack?
jkag89
DWren said:

dermdoc said:

May I ask why we want to play the sips or Baylor? The sips tried to trash us when we left the Big 12 and Baylor sued us and is a national embarrassment due to their scandals.

I am just trying to see the upside here. I assume some of you just selfishly want the pre conference games to be more compelling for you. Which is fine, but I fail to see any other upside. And I see a ton of downside.

What is the downside to playing texas or Baylor?
Besides a possible loss
There is usually no downside as far as the quality of them as opponents. Our our weekends draw well no matter the quality of the opponent, our midweek games do not. In other words, wouldn't it be better as a draw that these games be midweek games?
TXAggie2011
AG
dermdoc said:

My feelings do not get hurt. I just fail to see any upside except for some fans who can't let the Big 12 go. Ask the players if they would rather go to Waco or say Notre Dame. Or FSU. I am fine with your idea of interesting games and helping the rpi. I do not want to help out teams like the sips, bears, owls, frogs, etc. with a home and home weekend series with those guys. And trust me, no matter the outcome, it helps them more than it helps us.

If I was thinking about trying to get the Big 12 on the schedule I'd contribute a few bucks to fly Kansas down here in February to start each season and let them warm their hands up.

Notre Dame is not a good baseball program and flying to northern Indiana in the early spring is asking for an injury. Are you catholic? That's a fairly random team to grow in alongside FSU.

I'm all for FSU but good luck making that a regular part of our schedule. Or on our schedule, ever.

Worry more about A&M, less about other schools. And I just generally don't buy we're their ticket to the promised land.
BQ_90
AG
Since joining the SEC when has our OOC RPI hurts us?

As a season ticket holder I wouldn't care if we ever play any of the B12, rice or UH at home or on the road
dermdoc
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

dermdoc said:

If I was thinking about trying to get the Big 12 on the schedule I'd contribute a few bucks to fly Kansas down here in February to start each season and let them warm their hands up.

Notre Dame is not a good baseball program and flying to northern Indiana in the early spring is asking for an injury. Are you catholic? That's a fairly random team to grow in alongside FSU.

I'm all for FSU but good luck making that a regular part of our schedule. Or on our schedule, ever.

Worry more about A&M, less about other schools. And I just generally don't buy we're their ticket to the promised land.
Actually I am worried only about A&M. Just do not see the upside in scheduling weekend series with those guys. Do not trust any of them except maybe tech as far as I can throw an 800 pound ball.
TXAggie2011
AG
I'm not sure can keep your argument straight as far as you can throw an 800 pound ball, either.
dermdoc
AG
BQ_90 said:

Since joining the SEC when has our OOC RPI hurts us?

As a season ticket holder I wouldn't care if we ever play any of the B12, rice or UH at home or on the road
Amen.
TXAggie2011
AG
We can talk about a lack of interest when Tuesday spring break with the Longhorns doesn't draw 6900 while Friday with LSU draws 6400.
Sea Gull
AG
Here's my take on it. And sorry for sounding like a dick earlier.

We are competing head to head with many of our regional "rivals" for the chance to host a regional. If you look at the RPI matchups of the past few years, A&M has a TON of top 50 and a TON of top 15 RPI matchups, while TCU, Rice, tu, (etc), struggle to get those because of their conference play. Granted the Big 12 was pretty damned good last year, but they are usually fairly top heavy, with the bottom of their league being crap. Even with the Big 12 being good, A&M still had twice as many top 15 games played as the next (tu).

So the logic goes that if you play them in 3 game series, it gives them 3 more games to play a top 50 (top 15) team (which, if they win, then that could be the tie breaker). Even if they lose, it'll more than likely give them a bump on the RPI (TCU not withstanding because they're usually top 15). Why give them that chance? It helps them out of playing in a weak conference while we have to sludge our way through the SEC. The numbers below will show y'all what level of competition we're facing without playing the regional teams. A&M is not really competing with the CS-Fullertons, Pepperdines directly for chance to host a regional.

I'm not factoring Top 15/50 records in because I think they're irrelevant to this discussion. It's more about creating opportunities to impress the committee.

So, yes, the Big 12 really needs the RPI bumps more than A&M does. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to A&M to give these teams the opportunity to "overwrite" conference opportunities. And while it does create series that have sentimental value to some fans, it doesn't add any post-season value (which is the name of the game). Plus, as others have said, it most likely takes away a home series every year.

Here's the breakout (using Warren Nolan's RPI and regular season/conference tournaments only). We'll go back to 2013, the first year we joined the SEC.

A&M - 18 Top 15 (All in the SEC), 33 Top 50, 7th SOS
Rice - 6 Top 15 (None in Conf USA), 31 Top 50, 15 SOS
TCU - 3 top 15 (all in Big 12), 24 Top 50, 23rd SOS
tu - 9 top 15 (8 in the Big 12), 18 top 50, 34th SOS
Tech - 5 top 15 (3 in Big 12), 27 top 50, 22th SOS
Baylor - 7 top 15 (all in Big 12), 15 top 50, 27th SOS
UH - 3 Top 15 (none in AAC), 23 Top 50, 68th SOS

A&M - 6 Top 15 (All in SEC), 28 Top 50, 23rd SOS
Rice - 2 Top 15 (none in CUSA), 11 Top 50, 48th SOS
TCU - 4 Top 15 (None in Big 12), 22 Top 50, 38th SOS
tu - 3 Top 15 (all Big 12), 16 Top 50, 73rd SOS
Tech - 3 Top 15 (all Big 12), 13 Top 50, 70th SOS
Baylor - 8 Top 15 (4 in Big 12 - Also played A&M and LSU in MMC), 15 Top 50, 36th SOS
UH - 2 Top 15 (none in AAC), 25 Top 50, 32nd SOS

A&M - 14 Top 15 (12 in SEC), 34 Top 50, 8th SOS
Rice - 9 Top 15 (none in CUSA), 22 Top 50, 12th SOS
TCU - 10 Top 15 (7 in Big 12), 32 Top 50, 17th SOS,
tu - 11 Top 15 (7 in Big 12), 42 Top 50, 2nd SOS
Tech - 14 Top 15 (8 in Big 12), (30 Top 50, 9th SOS,
Baylor - 12 Top 15 (11 in Big 12), 33 Top 50, 7th SOS
UH - 6 Top 15 (None in AAC), 37 Top 50, 15th SOS

A&M - 16 Top 15 (12 in SEC), 32 Top 50, 10th SOS
Rice - 1 Top 15 ( none in CUSA), 9 Top 50, 82nd SOS
TCU - 3 Top 15 (none in Big 12), 12 Top 50, 61st SOS
tu - 0 Top 15, 10 Top 50, 36th SOS
Tech - 0 top 15, 12 Top 50, 35th SOS
Baylor - 3 Top 15 (none in Big 12), 17 Top 50, 30th SOS
UH - 0 Top 15, 10 Top 50, 103rd SOS

As you can see, A&M consistently has more top 15/50 matchups and a stronger strength of schedule. Playing the regional teams would just give them more chances at tiebreakers when determining regional hosts. This is a big factor in the committee (politics notwithstanding). As is records, but this thread isn't about hosting qualifications.

Again, that's my take on it...someone else may have a better insight/opinion on the situation. I might not have explained it very well.

TL;DR - it doesn't add any RPI value to A&M, while it gives a regional team in a worse conference the chance to "overwrite" conference level of difficulties.
dermdoc
AG
We had over seven thousand Friday night for Bowling Green. It is not the attendance that is the problem. I have dealt with those schools in the past and prefer to deal with other folks. And the way they treated us during the whole SEC thing is forgiven but not forgotten.
dermdoc
AG
Duck Patrol said:

Here's my take on it. And sorry for sounding like a dick earlier.

We are competing head to head with many of our regional "rivals" for the chance to host a regional. If you look at the RPI matchups of the past few years, A&M has a TON of top 50 and a TON of top 15 RPI matchups, while TCU, Rice, tu, (etc), struggle to get those because of their conference play. Granted the Big 12 was pretty damned good last year, but they are usually fairly top heavy, with the bottom of their league being crap. Even with the Big 12 being good, A&M still had twice as many top 15 games played as the next (tu).

So the logic goes that if you play them in 3 game series, it gives them 3 more games to play a top 50 (top 15) team (which, if they win, then that could be the tie breaker). Even if they lose, it'll more than likely give them a bump on the RPI (TCU not withstanding because they're usually top 15). Why give them that chance? It helps them out of playing in a weak conference while we have to sludge our way through the SEC. The numbers below will show y'all what level of competition we're facing without playing the regional teams. A&M is not really competing with the CS-Fullertons, Pepperdines directly for chance to host a regional.

I'm not factoring Top 15/50 records in because I think they're irrelevant to this discussion. It's more about creating opportunities to impress the committee.

So, yes, the Big 12 really needs the RPI bumps more than A&M does. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to A&M to give these teams the opportunity to "overwrite" conference opportunities. And while it does create series that have sentimental value to some fans, it doesn't add any post-season value (which is the name of the game). Plus, as others have said, it most likely takes away a home series every year.

Here's the breakout (using Warren Nolan's RPI and regular season/conference tournaments only). We'll go back to 2013, the first year we joined the SEC.

A&M - 18 Top 15 (All in the SEC), 33 Top 50, 7th SOS
Rice - 6 Top 15 (None in Conf USA), 31 Top 50, 15 SOS
TCU - 3 top 15 (all in Big 12), 24 Top 50, 23rd SOS
tu - 9 top 15 (8 in the Big 12), 18 top 50, 34th SOS
Tech - 5 top 15 (3 in Big 12), 27 top 50, 22th SOS
Baylor - 7 top 15 (all in Big 12), 15 top 50, 27th SOS
UH - 3 Top 15 (none in AAC), 23 Top 50, 68th SOS

A&M - 6 Top 15 (All in SEC), 28 Top 50, 23rd SOS
Rice - 2 Top 15 (none in CUSA), 11 Top 50, 48th SOS
TCU - 4 Top 15 (None in Big 12), 22 Top 50, 38th SOS
tu - 3 Top 15 (all Big 12), 16 Top 50, 73rd SOS
Tech - 3 Top 15 (all Big 12), 13 Top 50, 70th SOS
Baylor - 8 Top 15 (4 in Big 12 - Also played A&M and LSU in MMC), 15 Top 50, 36th SOS
UH - 2 Top 15 (none in AAC), 25 Top 50, 32nd SOS

A&M - 14 Top 15 (12 in SEC), 34 Top 50, 8th SOS
Rice - 9 Top 15 (none in CUSA), 22 Top 50, 12th SOS
TCU - 10 Top 15 (7 in Big 12), 32 Top 50, 17th SOS,
tu - 11 Top 15 (7 in Big 12), 42 Top 50, 2nd SOS
Tech - 14 Top 15 (8 in Big 12), (30 Top 50, 9th SOS,
Baylor - 12 Top 15 (11 in Big 12), 33 Top 50, 7th SOS
UH - 6 Top 15 (None in AAC), 37 Top 50, 15th SOS

A&M - 16 Top 15 (12 in SEC), 32 Top 50, 10th SOS
Rice - 1 Top 15 ( none in CUSA), 9 Top 50, 82nd SOS
TCU - 3 Top 15 (none in Big 12), 12 Top 50, 61st SOS
tu - 0 Top 15, 10 Top 50, 36th SOS
Tech - 0 top 15, 12 Top 50, 35th SOS
Baylor - 3 Top 15 (none in Big 12), 17 Top 50, 30th SOS
UH - 0 Top 15, 10 Top 50, 103rd SOS

As you can see, A&M consistently has more top 15/50 matchups and a stronger strength of schedule. Playing the regional teams would just give them more chances at tiebreakers when determining regional hosts. This is a big factor in the committee (politics notwithstanding). As is records, but this thread isn't about hosting qualifications.

Again, that's my take on it...someone else may have a better insight/opinion on the situation. I might not have explained it very well.

TL;DR - it doesn't add any RPI value to A&M, while it gives a regional team in a worse conference the chance to "overwrite" conference level of difficulties.

Another amen and blue star.
TXAggie2011
AG
Hard to know the effects so far of the non conference scheduling since the SEC.

Four data points for A&M and 2 of them we certainly were clearly not going to host anything irrelevant of our non conference schedule. Geography constraints lock stuff up without the committee picking apart the RPI outside of awarding hosts. Although maybe you avoid the 3-seed in 2014 with better scheduling. Maybe not.

Non-conference drove our higher RPI in 2013 and we got what you'd have to admit was a weak-ish 2-seed and avoided a 3-seed somewhere.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

It does not follow A&M does not get an RPI boost because the opponent does, too.

You've forgotten competition beyond those teams as far as RPI and tournament placement. They've not given the state of Texas a quota for regional or super regionals. But RPI matters within conferences and across the SEC-ACC dynamic.
JohnnytoMike
Iron sharpens iron.

Playing weak sisters is not good for the team's development. Forget the RPI argument, which is dubious to unclear at best.
dermdoc
AG
Wheredidmypantsgo said:

Iron sharpens iron.

Playing weak sisters is not good for the team's development. Forget the RPI argument, which is dubious to unclear at best.
Agree. I just do not want to sharpen my Iron with folks like Baylor and the sips. Plenty of other options.
twk
AG
Wheredidmypantsgo said:

Iron sharpens iron.

We're in the SEC. If you think we're not playing strong enough competition already, then I don't know what to tell you.
TXAggie2011
AG
twk said:

Wheredidmypantsgo said:

Iron sharpens iron.

We're in the SEC. If you think we're not playing strong enough competition already, then I don't know what to tell you.
Preferably the first time we have to figure out how to navigate a tough weekend isn't SEC play.

And another element to all of this is not every SEC schedule is built the same.

We'll go through less "sharpening" when we don't have Florida, Vanderbilt, and South Carolina on the schedule like we did last year.
greg.w.h
AG
I gotta say: those series with SEC teams are delectable. It's fun to have mid-major and northern teams. I like most of our midweek games with folks like DBU. We have a full slate of good games.

I've heard the repeated requests to turn back the clock. I get it. Nostalgia is always motivating because of great memories.

But in all honesty the SWC came apart at the seams for precisely the reason the SEC is now succeeding: quality and eyeballs. The Big 12 isn't much healthier and the loss of four teams significantly upset their "brand".

I'd argue TCU grew a lot while it was in the wilderness from the SWC (while SMU and Rice didn't and UH is just now recovering.). Of our SWC conference mates we play Arkansas every year and likely will meet one of the other four (Texas, TCU, Tech, Rice of outside chance at Baylor) every year.

That amount of scheduling with them plus mid-week games here and there is enough. Arguments for more usually descend into trash talk a name calling and honestly that's the sign of weak argumentation.

In a couple or three decades the rancor will likely be gone. That generation can decide differently. I think we vastly improved our baseball program and going back feels like going backwards.
TXAggie2011
AG
You're suggesting playing northern teams makes you feel like the program is taking steps forward?

The only name calling I've seen in this and most threads about the schedule comes from those arguing against playing Big 12/SWC clubs. But I'm going to engage in a little bit of it:

Northern teams are mostly terrible.

That massacre we just witnessed, case in point.
twk
AG
Quote:

Preferably the first time we have to figure out how to navigate a tough weekend isn't SEC play.
There's no guarantee that playing the sips (or any of our former conference brethren) will provide you the tough weekend you are looking for. Regional rivals doesn't mean strong competition.
TXAggie2011
AG
twk said:

Quote:

There's no guarantee that playing the sips (or any of our former conference brethren) will provide you the tough weekend you are looking for. Regional rivals doesn't mean strong competition.
Correct
BQ_90
AG
We're 4-1 in SEC opening series. so again how is our schedule as is hurting us again?
TXAggie2011
AG
3-1, against less than sparkling competition (Georgia and Auburn). 2014 we were the only home series win for a Auburn in SEC play. I believe 2 of the 3 times we've been swept in the SEC was in March.

I don't know what those numbers are worth. That's a hard cause and effect to boil down.

I'm not sure why it should be controversial that we test ourselves before conference play. (With anyone, I'm talking some kind of test, whoever it may be)
BQ_90
AG
It's not, you're the one saying we need it. Most of us don't really care or think we need to change they way we schedule.
Sea Gull
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

3-1, against less than sparkling competition (Georgia and Auburn). 2014 we were the only home series win for a Auburn in SEC play. I believe 2 of the 3 times we've been swept in the SEC was in March.

I don't know what those numbers are worth. That's a hard cause and effect to boil down.

I'm not sure why it should be controversial that we test ourselves before conference play. (With anyone, I'm talking some kind of test, whoever it may be)

It's not controversial that we test ourselves before the SEC behind; just not with a regional rival that directly competes with our ability to host. Cal State Fullerton, UCLA, Miami, or UNC etc would be fine. I'm all for the battle tested strategy.
Wicked Good Ag
I would love to see a Spring Break trip to like Fleur Field in Greenville SC before or after a series with SC or Georgia That minor league ball park looks awesome and I am sure a College of Charleston, Coastal Carolina and a third team would be something I would watch in a heartbeat
TXAggie2011
AG
Again, there are no geographical quotas for regionals and national seeds. They've been happy to give Texas three, they've been happy to give Texas none.

The only place that really may have some kind of quota is the west coast. But we're republicans here in Texas.

Otherwise, the more defined competition is within the conference or with the ACC, from our standpoint in the SEC.

And there, RPI matters. They've skipped teams in the win-loss column for better RPIs.
Sea Gull
AG
Yes there are. They might claim there aren't, but they are. Hell, look at 2 years ago when they were trying to pick between A&M and TCU for supers. There was no way both were going to get a NS nod, even though both deserved one.
TXAggie2011
AG
Duck Patrol said:

Yes there are. They might claim there aren't, but they are. Hell, look at 2 years ago when they were trying to pick between A&M and TCU for supers. There was no way both were going to get a NS nod, even though both deserved one.

Last year both A&M and Tech got national seeds.

In 2014, both LSU and La-Lafayette got national seeds.

In 2013, Oregon and Oregon State got national seeds.

In 2011, Texas and Rice got national seeds.

The state of Florida gets two pretty much every year.
themissinglink
AG
Aggies2009 said:

Aggie said:

Aggies2009 said:

TMartin said:

~A&M usually plays state rivals mid week and always draws the other team's ace while A&M pitches somebody not counted on for the weekend conference games. Rice is notorious for pitching their best guy against A&M for RPI because they play in such a weak conference and can afford to do this.
Hate that they get the RPI boost when they beat us in said situation. Throw their best guy when we play them in one-off games.

Heck, even tu trotted out their best pitcher when we played them this past season. At least Barash ended him first thing out of the gate.

Do some of you actually start to believe what you say even though it's completely false??

Rice started Bryan high product Willy Amador against A&M last year.. He was far from their " best guy"
Texas started Morgan cooper who was coming off Tommy John and missed the entire 2015 season. He threw 3 straight Tuesday games including the Ags and didn't make any weekend appearances untill conference play . That was their plan with him all along and they didn't change anything because they were facing us.

UH - none of their weekend guys threw against us last year

Even Sam houston state didn't throw a weekend guy against us

I know many on here believe that all the other texas schools throw their ace against the Ags while we throw our midweek guys buy it's simply not the case.

I don't remember making the claim that SHSU, UH, or Rice threw their best against us last year. I only mentioned that tu threw their weekend guy against us. If he was already getting a bullpen session in that day (likely), it makes sense. We did the same with Stilson against Fullerton in 2011. If you're talking about the guy I quoted, respond to him. Rice HAS done it in the past, even if they didn't last year.
I'm a little late to the party, but we started Hill against tu. He was pretty good for us last year.
Aggies2009
AG
dermdoc said:

We had over seven thousand Friday night for Bowling Green. It is not the attendance that is the problem. I have dealt with those schools in the past and prefer to deal with other folks. And the way they treated us during the whole SEC thing is forgiven but not forgotten.
Pretty much. We've played the likes of Tech and Baylor for years. I'd like to schedule more west coast teams. The fresno series last year was great. Pepperdine is usually at least competitive. Fullerton would be hella fun too.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.