Why don't we have any weekend series with regional rivals?

9,100 Views | 141 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TXAggie2011
Aggies2009
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
themissinglink said:

Aggies2009 said:

Aggie said:

Aggies2009 said:

TMartin said:

~A&M usually plays state rivals mid week and always draws the other team's ace while A&M pitches somebody not counted on for the weekend conference games. Rice is notorious for pitching their best guy against A&M for RPI because they play in such a weak conference and can afford to do this.
Hate that they get the RPI boost when they beat us in said situation. Throw their best guy when we play them in one-off games.

Heck, even tu trotted out their best pitcher when we played them this past season. At least Barash ended him first thing out of the gate.

Do some of you actually start to believe what you say even though it's completely false??

Rice started Bryan high product Willy Amador against A&M last year.. He was far from their " best guy"
Texas started Morgan cooper who was coming off Tommy John and missed the entire 2015 season. He threw 3 straight Tuesday games including the Ags and didn't make any weekend appearances untill conference play . That was their plan with him all along and they didn't change anything because they were facing us.

UH - none of their weekend guys threw against us last year

Even Sam houston state didn't throw a weekend guy against us

I know many on here believe that all the other texas schools throw their ace against the Ags while we throw our midweek guys buy it's simply not the case.

I don't remember making the claim that SHSU, UH, or Rice threw their best against us last year. I only mentioned that tu threw their weekend guy against us. If he was already getting a bullpen session in that day (likely), it makes sense. We did the same with Stilson against Fullerton in 2011. If you're talking about the guy I quoted, respond to him. Rice HAS done it in the past, even if they didn't last year.
I'm a little late to the party, but we started Hill against tu. He was pretty good for us last year.
He ended up being good, yes.

To that point he had started a midweek game (which he did vs tu) and had a couple of relief appearances on weekends. To insinuate that he was part of the weekend rotation at the time is wrong, if that's what you were trying to do. He ended up being a big part of the weekend rotation, but that happened afterward. Wasn't some coordinated plan to use one of our ace pitchers against tu.

Same thing with Stripling in 2011 vs Fullerton. He had 0 weekend starts to that point and was only used in relief. Against Fullerton, it was his first start on the year to see if he'd be able to start a game. He was, and was made the Sunday starter AFTER that. It just happened to work out for us.... Unless you think that Coach Childress had some mastermind plan in place to feign him as a non-important pitcher for the first few weeks only to spring him on a tough midweek opponent. In that case, I don't know what to tell you.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Everyone needs to stop arguing and complaining about midweek games and nonconference series...just be in the mix to win the SEC in May and everything else will fall into place.
The Debt
We don't need Baylor or tu bringing down our oppRPI
BQ_90
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

Everyone needs to stop arguing and complaining about midweek games and nonconference series...just be in the mix to win the SEC in May and everything else will fall into place.
Did you not read the thread title? Not sure anyone is complaining, seems to me were all having a discussion
TXAggie2011
AG
BQ_90 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Did you not read the thread title? Not sure anyone is complaining, seems to me were all having a discussion

Pretty much.

And I'm not sure cliches such as "be in the mix at the end" make for much of a message board.
HoustonAg2106
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

BQ_90 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Pretty much.

And I'm not sure cliches such as "be in the mix at the end" make for much of a message board.

All I meant was that I only care how we perform in SEC play...that's the main thing the committee looks at
MaroonMack
I'm not sure it makes sense for A&M against teams like T.U., TCU, Baylor or Rice, but I love how SCar and Clemson frequently play a barnstormer weekend: one game in Clemson, one in Columbia and another at a neutral site, usually in Greenville or occasionally in Charleston. Seems like it's good for the game of college baseball when teams like these get together at neutral sites where fans who don't normally make it to campus can see them play in person and not have to settle for TV coverage.

The Rice-Houston model of Reckling-Schroeder-Constellation seems like a good template for a mid-week series, too - maybe vs. TCU with the neutral site game in Round Rock. Maybe the Aggies could make some new baseball fans here and there.

FWIW, the earlier post about playing Coastal Carolina or College of Charleston in Greenville, SC sounds like a good way to work quality opponents into the midweek.
HoustonAg2106
AG
MaroonMack said:

I'm not sure it makes sense for A&M against teams like T.U., TCU, Baylor or Rice, but I love how SCar and Clemson frequently play a barnstormer weekend: one game in Clemson, one in Columbia and another at a neutral site, usually in Greenville or occasionally in Charleston. Seems like it's good for the game of college baseball when teams like these get together at neutral sites where fans who don't normally make it to campus can see them play in person and not have to settle for TV coverage.

The Rice-Houston model of Reckling-Schroeder-Constellation seems like a good template for a mid-week series, too - maybe vs. TCU with the neutral site game in Round Rock. Maybe the Aggies could make some new baseball fans here and there.

FWIW, the earlier post about playing Coastal Carolina or College of Charleston in Greenville, SC sounds like a good way to work quality opponents into the midweek.
So this year we are playing Texas in Austin, Rice in College Station, and TCU/Tech/Baylor in Houston. That pretty much covers it all.

We consistently play against Rice/UH and I'm perfectly fine with just playing a midweek game against Texas from now on...no need to play series against these teams.
tjack16
AG
I'd like to see a weekend series with either Rice/Dallas Baptist. Midweek games are nice, but I would like to see at least 2-3 games against those teams. Plus those are tournament teams on a consistent basis, and wouldn't hurt our RPI if we dropped one of those games.

As well as two midweek games against Texas (one here, one there)
Last season that game against the sips here at Olsen was one of the best atmospheres in recent memory and one of the best games.

Plus even if Rice/DBU want a return trip, that is an easy trip to make for most aggies on a weekend series. Especially the students.
Signel
AG
You are correct like always Dermdoc! Then again, it is the start of a new season so lots of the 'new' fans will be on here chanting what they want, but once we drop a few games, they will disperse like always. Same old song and dance honestly.
monarch
S
I wouldn't have an issue with playing TU in Arlington one year and the next at Minute Maid to try it out; play a three game series and see what happens.
dermdoc
AG
tjholley17 said:

I'd like to see a weekend series with either Rice/Dallas Baptist. Midweek games are nice, but I would like to see at least 2-3 games against those teams. Plus those are tournament teams on a consistent basis, and wouldn't hurt our RPI if we dropped one of those games.

As well as two midweek games against Texas (one here, one there)
Last season that game against the sips here at Olsen was one of the best atmospheres in recent memory and one of the best games.

Plus even if Rice/DBU want a return trip, that is an easy trip to make for most aggies on a weekend series. Especially the students.
So do you think the players would rather go to DBU and/or Rice or the West Coast? And trips to California sure do not hurt recruiting. There is a reason for the way we schedule and it is all about trying to help us be the best we can be and not hurt recruiting by giving advantages to in state recruiting rivals,
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
tjack16
AG
I think the players want to play baseball wherever. We are a better program than Rice and DBU at this current time so I don't see them having any sort of advantage in recruiting because we would beat them. I'm sure the players would also love to play against a lot of kids they played select ball with, high school, or are friends with from the Houston/Dallas area.

Plus I'm also thinking about your average student/fan that doesn't have the money to just fly to California. A lot of my fellow students want to go to road baseball games, but can only afford to go to Minute Maid or Austin (which is what I'm doing) and possibly Baton Rouge.

I have faith in our team that we can beat any team in the state of Texas in a 3 game series (minus TCU), so I think for the average fan or student it would be more fun to play a 3 game series against Rice, rather than Pepperdine.
ensign_beedrill
AG
I get what you're saying, but this year alone we have:
Tech, TCU, Baylor in Houston
t.u. in Austin
Texas State in San Marcos
UT Arlington in Arlington

That's lots of opportunities for road trips around the state. Plus, we regularly have trips to Rice, UH, Sam Houston, and UTSA. We get so few non-conference weekend series, that I kind of like to see teams I've never seen before; I don't want to see the same ones every year.

Also, Pepperdine was way more fun than Rice, and a whole bunch of Aggies showed up. I think there were more Aggies than Waves there.
twk
AG
There were more Aggies in Malibu than in Starkville or Fayetteville last year. We don't need to schedule weekend series against in-state rivals--playing them on Tuesdays is the way to go.
tjack16
AG
ensign_beedrill said:

I get what you're saying, but this year alone we have:
Tech, TCU, Baylor in Houston
t.u. in Austin
Texas State in San Marcos
UT Arlington in Arlington

That's lots of opportunities for road trips around the state. Plus, we regularly have trips to Rice, UH, Sam Houston, and UTSA. We get so few non-conference weekend series, that I kind of like to see teams I've never seen before; I don't want to see the same ones every year.

Also, Pepperdine was way more fun than Rice, and a whole bunch of Aggies showed up. I think there were more Aggies than Waves there.
I get the midweek thing, but isn't it easier to travel on weekends than it is on tuesdays for students? Especially when March and April are midterm heavy. Plus I would rather see 3 games with both teams throwing their best pitchers, rather than one team throwing their ace vs our #4/5 pitcher.

I'm also taking into consideration that the Minute Maid classic doesn't happen every year. On the years that we go to it, I'm fine with that being the "3 game series against regional opponents", but I'll just base it off of last year.

I'd rather play a 3 game series against Rice than a team like Hofstra. I understand why we schedule the northern teams, it would just be nice to have one really easy and convenient weekend road trip against a team a lot of people here want to really beat.
tjack16
AG
I'm not complaining about this, I was just curious to hear other's opinions and reasoning behind it. Maybe over the next few years we will start seeing a weekend series or with some old foes. I think it would be fun for the fans.
ensign_beedrill
AG
I went on several Tuesday road trips when I was in school. A bunch of us carpooled. It was a blast.

You don't feel like this now, but as a student, you have more free time right now than you are ever going to have again. Until you retire probably. Take advantage of it.
jkag89
You do have an easy convent road trip this year. One in which you can watch not only the Ags but four other Top 25 clubs.
tjack16
AG
I'm going to the Minute Maid classic, and the game in Austin (it's over spring break and its against Texas so I wouldn't miss that one).
I went to UH and Rice last year. They were a lot of fun.
ensign_beedrill
AG
Also, a reason you're not going to see many road weekend series is that Childress likes to play at home. I've heard him say it a lot.
jkag89
tjholley17 said:

I'm going to the Minute Maid classic, and the game in Austin (it's over spring break and its against Texas so I wouldn't miss that one).
I went to UH and Rice last year. They were a lot of fun.
I agree they're fun. When I was in scool it was fun to wake up on a Satuday morning and decide on the spur of the moment to catch the double header in Ft. Worth, Waco, or Houston. Unlike some posting on this thread I also think it is a good idea to play Texas schools (even old B12 foes) on the road just for general exposure around the state, but we gave the reason why we won't often see us schedule weekend series with in-state foes back at the beginning of this thread. Those factors are not going to change.
TXAggie2011
AG
twk said:

There were more Aggies in Malibu than in Starkville or Fayetteville last year.
Total attendance was 509, 598, and 711 for the three games with Pepperdine last year. Whether or not that truly comprised more Aggies than showed in Fayetteville or Starkville, well...I'll leave that one be...

...but I'm also sure recruits like to play in front of big crowds and enjoy some of the atmosphere that you simply don't get playing at what are all pretty poorly supported West Coast teams.

There are certainly more great programs that try not to go west of the Mississippi, or even leave their home state, and just play big series around their state/region than there are that head west each season.

I still don't see it as an either/or, anyways.
twk
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

twk said:

Total attendance was 509, 598, and 711 for the three games with Pepperdine last year. Whether or not that truly comprised more Aggies than showed in Fayetteville or Starkville, well...I'll leave that one be...

...but I'm also sure recruits like to play in front of big crowds and enjoy some of the atmosphere that you simply don't get playing at what are all pretty poorly supported West Coast teams.

There are certainly more great programs that try not to go west of the Mississippi, or even leave their home state, and just play big series around their state/region than there are that head west each season.

The main thing driving the OP's question, apparently, is a desire to attend road series against these teams. Maybe the OP really likes to get in the car and take in-state weekend trips, but that would seem to make him a pretty distinct minority. It's hard for me to see what A&M gets out of playing a weekend series in Austin, Fort Worth, Houston, or Lord forbid, Waco or Lubbock. Maybe the the Aggies that live in those towns enjoy it, but that's not really much of a reason for us to give up a home series, or to give up the opportunity to schedule an opponent whose return trip might be more appealing to recruits. Tech has a better baseball team than Pepperdine at the moment, but if you ask our players, I think they'd take a trip to Malibu over a trip to Lubbock every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Same for most fans that don't live in the Lubbock area.

If we are catering to the desires of travelling fans, road trips to exotic destinations seem to draw more interest than road trips to baseball hotbeds. I went to Malibu, Starkville, and Fayetteville last year, and travelled to Baton Rouge the previous year. The fact is, not many Aggies made any of those trips, except for Malibu. Some folks apparently just love going to games in Austin--I've been to my share, but now that those games don't mean much, you won't see me travelling down to the Disch for a Tuesday game, and I might not bother with a weekend series either, depending on what I else I had going on. We're up to around 150 replies on a thread that asks a question that really isn't all that important to Aggie baseball in the grand scheme of things. It's funny what people will talk about on this board.
twk
AG
One more point: it is an either/or situation. We aren't going to replace a cupcake series like Bowling Green with a weekend series against Rice, for an example. If we play a weekend series against Rice, we probably aren't playing Pepperdine. Maybe you think it shouldn't be that way, but, that's the way it works. Baseball is pretty close to paying its own way, and we do that by playing a lot of home games.
dermdoc
AG
twk said:

One more point: it is an either/or situation. We aren't going to replace a cupcake series like Bowling Green with a weekend series against Rice, for an example. If we play a weekend series against Rice, we probably aren't playing Pepperdine. Maybe you think it shouldn't be that way, but, that's the way it works. Baseball is pretty close to paying its own way, and we do that by playing a lot of home games.
Two blue stars sir. And would not the students rather go to an extra home series against anybody than having to drive somewhere? I think most of the folks wanting to play in state rivals live in one of those areas and it gives them a chance to see the Ags play. Which is fine, but just admit it instead of all the other bs.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

twk said:

About two thirds of those Pepperdine numbers were Ags. And we had a blast.Beats the hell out of Waco.
tjack16
AG
That's not it at all. In my OP I said weekend series... not road series.
I meant it as both home and road.

Also it wouldn't make me a minority since I'm a student that's on a student budget. I don't know many students who can afford to fly to california for a baseball series in the middle of school
TXAggie2011
AG
twk said:

You mean Rice, Pepperdine, and the Minute Maid, yes? We're doing the trip to Houston-West Coast thing.

I understand the scheduling. I'm on the record saying the way forward with say, the Longhorns, is probably in the midweek. For me, much of the kerfluffle is those who simply don't want to play those teams. A large number of folks on this thread that named off all the decent programs in the state and simply don't want to play them.

I think a happy medium track would be a willingness to travel for two midweek games like Arkansas will be doing, but I'm blanking if we've shown a willingness to do that.

But I would like to see A&M occasionally buck and engage in more of what it did in 2013---spend two straight non-conference weekends on the road if its the way to beef up the schedule.

Kentucky does it usually. Did it this year. At UNC and away again the next weekend. Even have UC-Santa Barbara coming to town. Switch a couple of one-offs for a home and home and there you go, West coast trip and a regional road trip.

And perhaps you drop Minute Maid one year if like a couple years ago its simply not bringing in a good out of state team. Nebraska did nothing for us. And we spent that weekend getting single games with Houston and Baylor which can quite easily be taken care of on the midweek---at least Houston.

I certainly understand A&M's entrenched at staying home and boosting revenues. But I can still disagree with that.
dermdoc
AG
tjholley17 said:

That's not it at all. In my OP I said weekend series... not road series.
I meant it as both home and road.

Also it wouldn't make me a minority since I'm a student that's on a student budget. I don't know many students who can afford to fly to california for a baseball series in the middle of school
But what you are not seeing is that if you do series with these teams you would have to do a home and home and lose a series at Olsen. I would wager you that a majority of student fans would prefer an extra home series at Olsen every year against anyone rather than traveling to Waco, Austin, Houston, Lubbock, etc. every other year.

And obviously it is cheaper to stay at Olsen than go anywhere, correct? I know when I was a poor student I loved home games.
tjack16
AG
I understand we would lose a home series. I'm just saying for me personally, I would be okay with losing a home series against a Bowling Green/Hofstra/Brown, etc if it meant getting a home and home weekend series against a team like TCU, Texas, DBU Baylor or Rice. I would be more than fine with going to Fort Worth, Austin, or Houston even if it meant losing a home series. Maybe I'm in the minority for that. It's just my personal preference and I understand why many here don't want those series.

That's part of the reason I think the supers against TCU were so hyped, even so over the one that we won over FSU. They were so exciting not only because of Omaha on the line, but because it was a team we hated and an easy road trip for many Aggie fans to make.
TheAngelFlight
Merits of west coast are debatable at best.
dermdoc
AG
TheAngelFlight said:

Or you don't go to the west coast as often, the merits which are debatable at best, which seems to be part of what he's suggesting.
True. But the merits of playing home and away weekend series against old in state rivals is debatable also.
ensign_beedrill
AG
We used to play a weekend series with DBU every year it seemed. Around finals time. That was when we had more weekends of non-conference to fill and when DBU didn't have a conference.
jkag89
tjholley17 said:

That's part of the reason I think the supers against TCU were so hyped, even so over the one that we won over FSU. They were so exciting not only because of Omaha on the line, but because it was a team we hated and an easy road trip for many Aggie fans to make.
The reason the Super Regional was so hyped is because we had not hosted one since 1999. Sure facing TCU added a dimension but that had more to do with them elminating the Ags the previous season than them being a Texas school.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.