*** official interesting things in the CWS thread ***

48,162 Views | 569 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Come Out Roll
AggieBB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Did you miss the part about contacting the foul pole?
TexasRebel
AG
Nope. The pole is outside of the field of play, but fair territory. Contacted is the key.
TXAggie2011
AG
You're misunderstanding geometry, which makes some of the above pretty rich. See the following, see if you can think it out for yourself.

Hint: Foul line is horizontal, the foul pole is vertical.

TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
quote:
It means at least part of the ball was in fair territory when it broke the plane that is the outfield fence.

This isn't football. A batted ball can "cross the 'plane'" of the outfield fence, and be blown back into play if it doesn't contact anything outside of the field.

Or caught for an out.
Or bobbled back in for a hit/error.
That's a correct statement of the rules. But it doesn't change anything here, though.

Ob-tuse.
TexasRebel
AG
Correct. They overturned a call that was correct on the field yesterday.
TexasRebel
AG
quote:
You're misunderstanding geometry, which makes some of the above pretty rich. See the following, see if you can think it out for yourself.

Hint: Foul line is horizontal, the foul pole is vertical.

Do you see how the circle contacts each of the lines at a single point?
TXAggie2011
AG
Can you see how you've talked your way into a set of rules where a ball can be both fair and foul at the same time?
TexasRebel
AG
A ball that clips the foul pole by definition first contacted fair territory.

If somehow a ball lands by touching the foul pole and the foul side of the top of the fence simultaneously, it would be both foul and fair by the rules. One of those things I hope to see one day... Like an unassisted triple play. Although it's physically extremely improbable.
TXAggie2011
AG
p.s. What's your rule for, since a baseball isn't a perfect sphere, when it hits so that a seam hits in foul territory as the same time the white leather of the ball hits in fair territory?
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
A ball that clips the foul pole by definition first contacted fair territory.

If somehow a ball lands by touching the foul pole and the foul side of the top of the fence simultaneously, it would be both foul and fair by the rules. One of those things I hope to see one day... Like an unassisted triple play. Although it's physically extremely improbable.

Not what I was really getting at but close...my point is best exemplified by thinking about a ball that hits at the base of the outfield fence.

And that'd be a clearly fair home run ball.
TexasRebel
AG
That'd be a likely double. There is no way to hit both fair and foul territory simultaneously at the base of the wall.
TexasRebel
AG
If it is clear that the lace hits first... It counts. That would never be clear with existing tech.
TexasRebel
AG
oSu v. Arizona in a lightning delay.
falcon09
AG
Pulling the tarp, again. Announced start time of 8:25 CT
mgreen
Thanks falcon. There is nothing on TV so glad to finally seenthe game.
TexasRebel
AG
oSu with a lead double in the 4th followed by a single to take a 1-0 lead.
Scotty Appleton
Total bullshat call. Ball never hit that guy.

That was soccer level flopping by the okie st batter
TexasRebel
AG
oSu gifted a RISP by a HBP off of the bat. Should have been foul.
TexasRebel
AG
He didn't really flop. He just stood there and the ump sent him to first... He just didn't argue.
Scotty Appleton
He asked for the bag when it was obvious it didnt hit him. That's about as close to flopping as it gets in baseball.
DGAG92
AG
quote:
Nope. The pole is outside of the field of play, but fair territory. Contacted is the key.
Wrong.

The foul pole and foul line are both "in the field of play".
DGAG92
AG
Big XII......better lucky than good.
South Platte
Rebel, I can't believe you are in still on here arguing fair/foul. I guess you see this as a hill worth dying on.

South Platte
The ball don't lie. Pokes didn't deserve that baserunner. Promptly went 1-2-3 to botch a promising inning.
TexasRebel
AG
quote:
quote:
Wrong.

The foul poles are outside the field of play. If they were in the field a ball that bounced off of one back into the park would be playable. It is not.
TexasRebel
AG
quote:
Rebel, I can't believe you are in still on here arguing fair/foul. I guess you see this as a hill worth dying on.

Just making sure you folks know the rules of the game you're watching.
South Platte
Ha! Thanks. I really don't recognize this game. These teams have incredible pitching. Everything this AZ pitcher throws breaks 12 inches .... and is still a strike.
TexasRebel
AG
High movement pitches are tough to judge from the centerfield view. It can start crossing the plate in the strike zone then fall out and hit the plate. It's still a strike. Just has to touch the pentagonal prism that is the strike zone before touching anything else.
South Platte
What I'm saying is that this kid is filthy as piss. 9 k's on 15 outs. Movement on everything. Would be incredible if pokes win back to back 1-0 games.
TexasRebel
AG
Oh! I thought you were complaining about the calls.
TexasRebel
AG
He may not want to throw that again...
TexasRebel
AG
11 Ks against oSu now. Headed to the bottom of 6, still 1-0 Pokes.
South Platte
11k through 6. Surely 1 run won't get it done tonight.
DGAG92
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Wrong.

The foul poles are outside the field of play. If they were in the field a ball that bounced off of one back into the park would be playable. It is not.

You sir, should learn the game before making assumptions that are inaccurate.

"Foul territory or foul ground is defined as the area of the field outside of the foul poles and foul lines. The foul lines and foul poles are not part of foul territory, but are indeed
In fair territory."

TexasRebel
AG
Yes. In fair territory, but the poles are outside of the field of play.

Refer to the original quote.

Think of all of the fans behind the center field wall. They are all in fair territory, but not in the field of play.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.