Post your Shelby Metcalf quotes here

78,163 Views | 189 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by HECUBUS
cs69ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The year or the year after the NCAA went from 2 refs to 3 refs doing a basketball game, someone asked Shelby how he liked it.

Shelby said, " 3 blind mice are not any better than 2 blind mice!!"
Luke The Drifter
AG
In '87 we made a great run through the SWC tournament. We were the last seed, but ended up winning it all.

We beat TCU in the first round and then tech in round 2. After the tech game, some reporter asked Shelby what he planned to do before the championship game vs. Baylor. I'm paraprhasing, but he said something to the effect of, "...go out and buy some more underwear. I hadn't planned on being in Dallas this long."

FYI - We destroyed BU something like 70-45 in the title game.

For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. - Romans 6:23, NIV
Larry J. Holy 81
AG
4life: You're correct.

I'll mess this one up, but it goes something like ... we were having a terrible season and a reporter was asking Shelby about the tough road schedule. Shelby replied something like ... "Yeah, we don't give the players meal money until they get on the bus, otherwise we couldn't field a team."
NewArmy69
AG
In 1966 the Ags went to Fayetteville to play the piggies. If we win, the SWC title is ours. Unfortunately we did not. He told a story about after the game bumping into a woman who turned around and really gave him a 'go to hell look'. Coach said, "no offense Ma'am", she replied, "no defense either".
Austin_Aggie_13
See sig.

"A happy Aggie is an unhappy Aggie." -Shelby Metcalf
Austin_Aggie_13
Oops. Someone beat me to it.
agswin88
not sure if this is his but I read something that said he told the refs this one game. During the course of the game he was not real happy with the way it was being called so hollered for the lead zebra to come over and talk to him, which he did. Shelby proceeded to ask him If I called you a SOB would you give me a technical? the referee responded by saying of course I would. Shelby then asked if I just thought you were an SOB would you give me a technical. The referee responded by saying he could not read Shelby's mind so there was no way that he would be able to give him a tech. Shelby then responded by saying I think you are an SOB and had the ref laughing so hard he said he could not give him a tech for setting him up like that. Maybe this is not a true Shelby story but I always thought it was funny
Killer-K 89
AG
TTT

It needs to be revived.
agwin12
AG
I heard when they added the 3rd ref, Metcalfe replied, "They can't find 2 good ones, how are they going to find a 3rd."
Ags77
AG
When I was in school I was good friends with Sonny Parker. I used to sneak into G rollie and watch practices (they were closed to the public). Coach Metcalf would send a manager up to run me out and I would hurry down the hall and slip into another entrance and start watching again. After several days of this... Coach Metcalf spotted me and hollered at me to get my ass down on the lower level seats. I didnt know what to do at first... he smiled and said I was running his managers to death and I might as well just come on down and get a good look.
skins74
AG
One year after an A&M and Rice football game, We spotted Shelby wandering around the parking lot looking for his car. We offered him a drink which he politely declined and said he had no idea where his car was.
The next year at a coaches night I asked him if he ever found his car? He said, "No, but we play them again next year and I hope to find it then."
markag
Here's 2. Of the pencil thin Daryl McDonald, "he's living proof our players don't use steroids" and of RC Buford a not so quick forward and now an NBA exec., "Instead of running the 4 corners to stall out the clock, we had RC drive the baseline"

Fat Bib Fortuna
Sitting next to me and another Batt sportswriter on press row one night in '94.

"Tony Barone Jr. is the single worst D-1 basketball player I've ever seen."

skins74
AG
Just printed these out. These are great and funny, I don't care who you are.
SPSAg05
AG
bump for Shelby.
benz
GarlandAg2012
Aggie Q
Aggie Q
anaggieshusband
"batter up"
curry97
Dad-O-Lot
AG
Thank Guys, those were great.

Prayers for Shelby & his family
therealnick05
jm94
AG

Lots of good bull.
AgDoc03
ras848
Great stories
InternetFan02
AG
He would have had some great one-liners this week regarding the student ticket demand
90%Ag
AG
Anybody remember the one where, when asked about something good that had recently happened, he said something along the lines of it being better than having power windows in your pickup truck?

I can't remember the details, but do know that it was quoted several times for a while after he was given his freedom (fired).
SchlepRock
Oh Four Five
AG
Great thread.
txag007
Yea, we don't have any b-ball history. The man only had the most wins in the SWC.
TAMU74
AG
We have lost a great ambassador that can never be replaced.
singer10
maroonblood08
AG
didnt have the pleasure of ever meeting the man. but from the sound of it, i wish i could have known him.
Sabreman
AG
"Of the two stupidest men I've ever met, one's dead, and the other I can't talk about until August 1, 1994."

Sabreman '92

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.