Post your Shelby Metcalf quotes here

78,160 Views | 189 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by HECUBUS
WorthAg95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SandAG
In ’86 we were playing Arkansas in G. Rollie White. As usual, during lulls in the action, the student body would entertain themselves by throwing things around the bleachers behind the team benches. On this night, someone brought a frisbee. Everyone was into it, when someone threw it way to the top of the stands. It came floating down just above everyone’s outreached hands – gaining speed the whole way. It smacked Nolan Richardson square in the back of the head!

Someone told Shelby what had happened. Shelby walked over to the scorer’s table and picked up the microphone. It became dead silent. Shelby asked the fans to refrain from throwing anything on the court, but to “YELL LIKE HELL!”

The crowd erupted into whoops and yells. Richardson wasn’t very impressed with Shelby’s admonishment.

Ags won by 14.
AggieTFA06
AG
I don't know if i have the quote right, but i think i remember Metcalf once commenting about BCG saying:
"(BCG) works so hard, i don't think he knows where he lives."

I also liked the quote Metcalf did make about the player with 4 F's and 1D.

[This message has been edited by AggieTFA06 (edited 2/8/2007 11:28p).]
Echoes97
AG
Great, great stuff here guys, keep it coming. So very sad about Coach Metcalf, but I'm sure happy he got to see us beat KU at Lawrence AND beat the ever-livin' hell outta the sips before he left us. RIP Coach.
Adam87inSA
MaroonSpirit
AG
Thanks for all you did for us Coach!

I hope you have great season tickets above us.

ssolari94
MCKAGGIES
AG
Great stories, Shelby was a great Coach, Aggie and Person, God bless him.
EllisCoAg
AG
my fish year was the 1980's team that went to the Sweet 16, just a great memory
Whoop96
AG
Coach, this ones for you..

Metcalf recounted a wild tale that involved he and Barry Davis, who played for the Aggies from 1975-76. The two went hunting, and by request of the owner of the property Metcalf was to shoot the guy's old white mule, who had served the family well but whose time had come. So Metcalf played a joke on Davis and told him that the property owner was an angry fan — and to get revenge Metcalf was going to shoot his mule.

"But before I could tell him it was a joke," Metcalf said, smiling, "Barry had shot two of the guy's calves."
turfman80
AG
Once at The Beaumont A&M Club meeting - "Our family once had a dog with an ingrown tail...we'd have to x-ray him to find out if he was happy"
TAMU1990
AG
Just saw one that made me laugh.

Shelby was commenting on an official: "Sonny is sure on his game tonight - he's calling 3 seconds in 2 seconds flat".

BohunkAg
AG
This is a great thread. Reminds me of how lucky we were to have him at A&M.
Idk3
wildcat08
AG
One of my favorites was a quote in one of the Houston papers after we played UH in the Olajuwon days there. Olajuwon was on some ridiculous pace for blocked shots (seems like it was in double digits per game, but surely that can't be right). The Ags just shot from outside all night long (and lost), and after the game the reporters wanted to know why we didn't challenge them more inside. His reply (edited for the newspaper) was "Because if we had, we would have been [spitting] leather for a month."
Sabreman
AG
Here's two good ones I just saw on the Statesman's website:

He once referred to one of his players as "a true student-athlete in every sense of the word," then added the postscript: "God, he's lonely around here."

And:

"You can be peculiar if you can play." He once recited that to a player, then added, "You'd have to be an All-American to break even."

Sabreman '92

ColombiaAg
BigGame12- that was one of my favorite quotes.

I like the one about RC's dismissal/reassignment. He said RC should be happy. "Gates usually makes people dissappear"
TruAg
AG
I remember one game when the team was playing poorly. Shelby became so disgusted that he flung a folding chair onto the court. He got a technical foul, but the team played better after that.

G. Rollie was cramped and humid and LOUD. As a junior and senior I remember games when were fortunate enough to get on the first or second row. Shelby always had a hang-dog or pained look, even when we were ahead.
ColombiaAg
Remembering back to when the conference went from two officials to three ...Shelby said

"I think it is a good idea, as long as we give one of them a whistle without the pea and let us the coaches figure out which one it is"
DocTJC
AG
He said once that his team was so young they worked on "High fives" and rolled an ankle and jamed two fingers.

"A little pain never hurt anybody"
guvner
AG
i was one of shelby's trainers in the 60s. everytime we went to gregory gym in austin there would be a fight. on one occasion, after a paryiculary nasty fight between the players, shelby was asked by a reporter what he did when the fight broke out. he replied that he took out his comb, wrapped a piece of paper around it and accompanied the band playing the national anthem.
guvner
AG
i was one of shelby's trainers in the 60s. everytime we went to gregory gym in austin there would be a fight. on one occasion, after a paryiculary nasty fight between the players, shelby was asked by a reporter what he did when the fight broke out. he replied that he took out his comb, wrapped a piece of paper around it and accompanied the band playing the national anthem.
Dr. Mephisto
AG

Shelby was a gentleman, a friend, and a riot to be around.

I worked with him in an office when I was a graduate student. He set me up with his niece once, and we dated for a while. I would spend as much time in the guy's office I could, because every other line was about 10 times better than what you hear on late night television today. Seriously, the guy's quick wit was genius.

He was hilarious on a daily basis.

He was the kind of spirit that seems so rare today--he made everyone's day better just by showing up.

He loved to make everyone smile, and had a grace that is tragic for the Aggie family to have lost.

He was never mean or cruel, and he could smile in the face of what made everybody else cringe.

He made friends and conversation readily, and even the most resistant sourpuss' would be sucked in by his contagious good spirit.

And he didn't let people stay strangers for long.

One of the coolest memories I had was him inviting me to come with him to some property outside of Bryan that he was thinking of buying. He wanted my advice, and that day I rode ~ 45 minutes each way having a one on one conversation, loving the wit and wisdom of Shelby Metcalf.

I love the guy. I am glad he was my friend.

I will miss him.

Cheers to you, Shelby, wherever you are reading this.

You now have the best seat in the house for Aggie Basketball, and a seat in our hearts forever.

Here.
aggie123
I got to know Shelby pretty well over the years and I remember two stories that I will never forget. When we were going to play UCLA when Wooden was their coach and I asked Shelby how did it feel to be a 20 underdog to UCLA and he said, “You know what an underdog is?” and I said, “No, what is an underdog, Shelby” and he said, “That’s dog that has all of the puppies and non of the fun.” The second funny thing that I remember was when we were playing U of H in Houston. We were getting fouled really badly and the refs weren’t calling the fouls. Shelby called a time out and asked the ref to come over and talk. Shelby stood by one of his players with his arm around him who had blood running down his face and looked at the ref and asked him just one question, “Look at my player, do you see anything suspicious?” The ref broke out in laughter and so did I.
21dlg64
AG
I was in a class with Shelby when he was working on his Ph.D. It was a riot when he gave a presentation. I remember the following story but you really need to imagine Shelby’s slow country talk to get the full effect. He said he went to speak at the Rusk Mental facility. He started speaking and was going great guns when one of the inmates yelled, “Crazy, Crazy, Crazies thing I ever heard”. Well that knocked him off of his stride and it took awhile to get back to going good. Then the inmate interrupted again.
“Crazy, Crazy, Crazies thing I ever heard”. Again Shelby tried to get going again and, of course, again the inmate shouted, “Crazy, Crazy, Crazies thing I ever heard”.

Shelby motioned one of the guards to go out in the hall and Shelby asked him if he could control the inmate. The guard said, ‘We could Mr. Metcalf, but he has been here for seven years and this is the first time he has ever made any sense.’
21dlg64
AG
One year when Shelby was coach we had a shooter that could make what would now be a ‘three’ from the baseline. We were going someplace (Waco I think) where they were going to televise the game and had to add lights for TV. Baylor (if it was Waco) set the lights so that they were aimed right where that shooter like to shot from. Shelby said to turn them off or we would forfeit. They turned them off.
TAMC66
Another Gregory Gym moment.

When asked if the tu game in Austin was going to be on tv, Shelby said, "I do not know who is sponsoring the game, but Gillette is sponsoring the fight"
Antman92
AG
bump
traveler1
AG
Related to me by a friend who knew Shelby.

During the recruitment of an unnamed player years ago, Shelby had worked extremely hard in trying to convince the young man to come to A&M but the boy wouldn't sign. He finally to him to dinner one night and was trying to talk to him about coming to A&M when a booster came by the table and began talking to him. Shelby said he had drunk about a gallon of tea so he excused himself to go to the bathroom. When he got back the booster was gone and the player was ready to be a Texas Aggie. Of course Shelby's response to all of this was "One of the two of us must have been real persuasive"
4ZORRO
AG
Shelby was a great guy, I just wish he had written a book. I asked him years ago and he said maybe, later.
Michael Carroll
AG
Shelby was a great man and my roomate during my sophomore year worked with the basketball team on a daily basis. He told me so many Shelby stories and quotes that were so funny that I would laugh until it hurt.

Apparently after one particularly poor game Shelby tells the team afterwards that they were stealing from him. He goes on to say it several more times and then he says "You guys are stealing a scholarship from me because you all told me that you could play basketball." and then he walked out of the dressing room.
DOG XO 84
AG
After "whipping out" as a first day fish...

he said "This is a pleasure..You can call me Shelby"
thrownhill
Great stuff. The mental institution story was great.
tallboy
As you all know, Shelby liked to fish. His lake near Palestine was called "Lake Gig'em". When Shelby and a friend showed up unannounced one day, Shelby discovered that the caretaker of the lake had let some friends fish. Now Shelby was strictly a "catch and release" guy. When Shelby asked if they had any luck, they held up a large stringer of fish of considerable size. Shelby looked at the stringer and didn't say a word. Well, the caretaker told Shelby that they were all about to leave since they had been there a while. As they were driving off, Shelby and the friend quietly put their boat in the water. Not a word was said until they reached the far end of the lake and then Shelby screamed "son of a #$@*&!"
SEHorn
He was a true original. Guys like him and Abe made the game fun! An amazing gift for humor. RIP!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.