Post your Shelby Metcalf quotes here

75,971 Views | 189 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by HECUBUS
EXCELL
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I knew Shelby when he was an assistant coach to Bob Rogers (who was really, really good).
I spent some time with Shelby in the weeks after he got canned. He told me he said some things to John David that he shouldn't have said and went public with some (but not all) of it. He told me he was right in what he said and wrong in how he said it and when, and that he pretty much painted JDC into a corner that brought about the termination.

Shelby wasn't one to backtrack on what he said but he knew the score.

Shelby matching wits with JDC was like dueling with an unarmed man. No contest.
BohunkAg
AG
This makes sense....total sense from all that I've heard. Thanks for the insight.
headshrinker
AG
Shelby obviously ticked off asking a ref..."Can you give me a technical for what I'm thinking?"
Padre_Island_Ag
AG
A player made four F's and one D.

Metcalf: he spent too much time on one subject.

Let's go Brandon!

Soli Deo Gloria
dog
AG
XL2Win said:

When I first met Shelby, he was the freshman coach (fish weren't allowed to play varsity ball then) and assisted head coach Bob Rogers.

Shelby took me aside at a post-game party at Bob's home (we won)and told me that he had found heaven at A&M and wasn't leaving unless he was dead or fired.

God rest your soul, Shelby. You'll always have a seat in our hearts and the soul of Texas A&M.

Excellence First ...
What did Bob Rogers do for A&M to "run him off"?

Very glad we ended up with Shelby, but always wondered what the deal was with Rogers because his record was good at A&M. For 5 or 10 or 15 years before Rogers A&M's record was TERRIBLE!!
dog
dog
AG
aggiejim70 said:

wisdom said:

Another Shelby Metcalf quote. (I am sure of the year, but I am not 100% sure of the opponent, nor the Aggie player involved, nor even which team had the ball and was about to score. Someone who knows of this incident may want to set the record straight.) It was late in the 1968-69 season and the team was playing Baylor in G. Rollie. In those days, all the non-basketball athletes sat on the bleachers which reach down to the floor, behind the goal at the north end of G. Rollie. Somehow, Ronnie Peret for the Aggies, got behind the Baylor defense, probably a steal and then a pass to him, and he had a clear, uncontested lay-up at the goal at the north end of the court. The rest of the players for both teams were at the other end of the floor. The only defender anywhere near him came from behind and at about 45 degrees from the side, and the only possible defense of the lay-up was a flagrant foul, which is what he did. The defender raced towards him, laid him out with a very flagrant foul, and the momentum of the bodies of the 2 basketball players carried them hard into the bleachers containing the all the remaining Aggie athletes. This created some pushing and shoving and then a brawl and it was looking very ugly for a few moments, however the athletes were able to hold off the hot tempered parties and no one got hurt. The fight received lots of attention in the press.
Fast-forward to about a week later. The Aggies are SWC Champs, and the students are holding a special yell practice in G. Rollie for the team, and sending them off to the NCAA Tournament. Coach Metcalf is holding a microphone, addressing the student body and recognizing the players. In those days, whoever won the SWC rarely got out of the 1st round of the NCAA Tournament. In the media that week were discussions of the weak Southwest Conference and giving the SWC Champs very little respect in polls and in tournament match ups. Coach Metcalf addressed this issue and quipped, "Ring Magazine ranks us #1." The place erupted with a roar of laughter and then wildcat.

I was there, a 'butt in the FTAB. We got the short end of the stick from the clock operator in Waco a few days earlier and they stole a win. After the game, it wasn't a fight, some fish got beat up by the Baylor football team. So, G. Rollie was a powder keg. For the Baylor people that made the trip, most of them had to watch the game on closed circuit TV in Guien (SP?) hall. High tech of 1969, and Guien hall was where Rudder Tower is now.

So, late in the game, our center Ronnie Perrit, is going for a lay-up and the Baylor center, Friedman (sp?) slams Perrit's head into the backboard. Unfortunately he landed right where the Aggie football team sat. All hell broke loose. To my untrained eye it looked like Billy Hobbs was beating the crap out of Friedman, but I was wrong. Actually, and this is what Coach Metcalf and Coach Stalling told the SWC investigation, Hobbs fearlessly through his body across Friedman to prevent injury.

After a minute or so, Col. Adams figured Friedman was well enough protected and had the FTAB play the National Anthem and order was restored. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
I was there and Friedman (from Paris, Tx) was the Baylor player.

He had blood on his face and HAD to be helped from the court into the dressing room.

The game was for the SWC lead.

At Waco earlier in the year Baylor won by 1.

At G. Rollie that nite Ags won by 20.

It was never a contest.
dog
MMantle
AG
After a poor performance, Shelby was taking the stairs to his office, He had his head down, he wasn't watching where he was going.

He ended up bumping into a lady going in the opposite direction.

He helped her up, saying, "No offense, ma'am."

The lady replied, "No damn defense either, Coach."

RR

BMOC86
AG
Shelby

Three putting is like masturbation, you feel bad when you do it, but you know your gonna do it again.
74AnimalA
AG
pencil said:

Quote:

Does anybody remember the subject of his doctoral thesis? It was something along the lines of "Crowd Reaction at SWC Basketball Games". Does anybody have information on his paper? There are probably additional funny stories in there.

This should be in the library w/ all of the other theses, etc.
I seem to recall a lot of that paper included a Game against Baylor (73 or 74) played at the Heart of Texas Coliseum. Game was close and the Ags weren't getting any calls. Mario Brown was a dynamic JuCo Transfer guard that that the ability to draw a charge at almost anytime. Well I seem to recall that something happened, Shelby got PO'ed and before long he ripped off his sport coat and threw it at the bench.
It wasn't long until a melee broke out and this one even had fans from the stands heading to the court.
I had good seats but was too high to make it to the floor.
alamoaggie64
AG
Shelby's first year as varsity coach was the spring semester of senior year for '64. We were leading the league and getting ready to play at Arkansas. Another guy in our outfit went to his office to see if we could get tickets if our entire outfit went up there. He called the ticket lady up there to guarantee tickets for us and then recommended we get hold of Mike Mistovich, the Aggie basketball announcer. Mike gave us names of people in town that we could hit up for donations for the bus charter. Before he went into Barnhill, he came up to me and gave me his comp tickets to sell; that gave us some extra money until the ticket manager came out and pointed out the "Not for Sell" stamp on the back. Shelby was most gracious and even gave us a mention in his interview after the game. He also offered us to come into the dressing room to change out of our uniforms for the long bus ride home. He is still one of my favorite all-time Aggie coaches.
butchkemper
AG
I remember the Coach Metcalf story that after being fired he said "Your friends come and your friends go but your enemies accumulate."

Butch Kemper '67
Padre_Island_Ag
AG
Probably not exact, but close:

"I'm happy anytime we win a game. I'd be happy if we won a pick-up game at the Grove!"

(wonder how many Ags on here don't even know what "the Grove" is!)

Let's go Brandon!

Soli Deo Gloria
greg.w.h
AG
Padre_Island_Ag said:

Probably not exact, but close:

"I'm happy anytime we win a game. I'd be happy if we won a pick-up game at the Grove!"

(wonder how many Ags on here don't even know what "the Grove" is!)

It was even better for summer school free movies…
jickyjack1
oldschool87 said:

I gotta get me a glass bottom boat, so when I run over Abe Lemons I can see his face.

I believe that is what Abe Lemons said about DeLoss Dodds when Dodds fired him. That was when I first realized that politics and perception are as important at Texas as wins and losses.
jickyjack1
HECUBUS
AG
Ran into Shelby at the grocery store while at ATM. Threw out a " hey coach", and he stopped pushing his cart and had a conversation. Shelby stood out anywhere and everywhere and was one of those "salt of the earth" folks that make you smile.

Of all the random interactions I've had with college coaches. Shelby pushing a shopping cart and RC Slocum in maroon pants delivering free pizza to us when we were camping out for Arkansas tickets were the most memorable.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.