Coach McNeilly to Minnesota?

19,449 Views | 165 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by MarcAg
Wicked Good Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
expresswrittenconsent said:

Hard to give your post any credibility with the Chandler part.
Meant Caldwell sorry

as for huge minute guy yeah he was top three in minutes this season...i didnt say efficient at all nor did i say anything about his actual play but the fact that the third most mins on the team leaves for Sam ?

Hop
Staff
AG
bobinator said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

The fact that we are search the portal for it seems all 1500+ names kinda scares me in what direction this program is going.
I don't get why that would bother you at all. Just because we're being aggressive in reaching out doesn't mean we're actually offering a spot to everyone. If anything for me it's the other way. It shows the staff knows we have some holes and they're working hard to fill them.

A mediocre player that plays a small role is better than an empty roster spot.

Wait for it...

I agree with bobinator here. Gotta wait to see who he lands before we critique his portal strategy.
_lefraud_
AG
bobinator said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

The fact that we are search the portal for it seems all 1500+ names kinda scares me in what direction this program is going.
I don't get why that would bother you at all. Just because we're being aggressive in reaching out doesn't mean we're actually offering a spot to everyone. If anything for me it's the other way. It shows the staff knows we have some holes and they're working hard to fill them.

Spamming everyone in your CRM isn't considered "working hard", quite the opposite actually.
Wicked Good Ag
not disagreeing with using the portal at all

i may become the best way to recruit going forward

but the fact that we are linked to seeemingly everyone scares me a bit....do we take the first couple of guys that show interest or look for best fit.
I am more curious as to what level of reaching out is being done so to speak

but it does show that we are trying to upgrade a roster which is good, the fact thatwe are in contact with a large number to do that shows how bad the roster is
Proposition Joe
bobinator said:

For me it's not reframing the whole year as a success, but I think by the end we were "on track" of where I'd hoped Buzz would have us before the season started so that's why I consider it a moderate success. Like a C+ or B-.

But we didn't carry that momentum into the second year.

And you and I have hashed out this season many times that it's not worth going into, but whether the excuses are valid or not will depend on how good we are to start next season. If we're decent it'll be easy to say that not having a normal offseason killed us and now things are back on track, if we suck again then that was just another excuse right?

Some excuses can be legitimate reasons, but sometimes you don't know until later.

"but whether the excuses are valid or not will depend on how good we are to start next season"

... except that's what you said at the end of Year 1 and despite now starting the next season well are now "re-framing" it until "well, it will depend on how we start next year".

And that's not directed specifically at you -- while I certainly wasn't as high on the end of Year 1 as many were, I was absolutely excited about the direction the team was going and felt like we'd carry that momentum into Year 2.

But then we came into Year 2 wholly unprepared. Yes there was a great big pandemic reason you could give for that - but Kennedy's tenure should show us there's ALWAYS a reason one can point out. Every year. College hoops is a revolving door of talent and hurdles - adjustments have to be made every year.

And I agree that you often "don't know until later", but it's a message board so discussion is typically going to revolve around what we do know. Otherwise there's no point in discussing anything until we are able to look at the whole tenure... Otherwise it's a never-ending "well lets just wait and see".
MarcAg
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

but the fact that we are linked to seeemingly everyone scares me a bit....do we take the first couple of guys that show interest or look for best fit.
I am more curious as to what level of reaching out is being done so to speak
Pay attention to who they actually zoom with, not everybody they have sent a text message to.

And we all agree the talent needs to be upgraded.
expresswrittenconsent
_lefraud_ said:

bobinator said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

Spamming everyone in your CRM isn't considered "working hard", quite the opposite actually.

If we're gonna make it about real world jobs, buzz is more successful than any of us here, so maybe don't compare it to your day job?
Tavares19
AG
I agree on the Flagg deal. A lot of people have soured on him because he never became the star that some people though he could with how he looked early in his career with BK. I think it's crazy to think though that if he was hypothetically still on the team next year that he wouldn't still be a big component of the success of the team. He's proven he is solid high D1 player when he's not having to carry the burden.

That said, on his recent instagram post where he committed to Sam, TJ Starks left a comment that both Chandler and Flagg liked. I think its pretty telling into how they viewed Buzz as a coach (even though they may have a good off-court relationship) and that they both were wanting out regardless of whether or not Buzz wanted them gone or not.
Proposition Joe
But really we just look at it from 2 different angles.

"Well Buzz is a routine, offseason and detailed oriented type of coach so his chances of success in a covid-environment were not good".

Ok. Agreed.

Does that somehow not make Year 2 a failure? Does it somehow not make Year 2 underwhelming? Is Buzz just gonna be a coach that can only be successful when things go as planned?
wacarnolds
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Is Buzz just gonna be a coach that can only be successful when things go as planned?

These are the types of comments flying around this board that I fail to understand. Yes this year sucked, and people are looking for explanations.

But Buzz went to the tournament 5 years in a row at Marquette, then rebuilt Virginia Tech and went 3 more years in a row before taking the A&M job. Along the way, he made an Elite 8 and 3 Sweet 16s.

But when someone says "maybe this year sucked because X or Y or Z", you immediately go to questioning if Buzz can adjust or handle adversity. I'd say his long track record shows he can win different ways with different teams at different schools in different eras and probably deserves a little time to do his thing here.
Proposition Joe
I'm not calling for his head and I do think he'll improve this program. If I were saying Year 1 and Year 2 show Buzz will never get it done here that is one thing.

I'm simply not framing Year 1 and Year 2 as something other than underwhelming. Buzz' skins on the wall don't change that.
GrayMatter
AG
Tavares19 said:

That said, on his recent instagram post where he committed to Sam, TJ Starks left a comment that both Chandler and Flagg liked. I think its pretty telling into how they viewed Buzz as a coach (even though they may have a good off-court relationship) and that they both were wanting out regardless of whether or not Buzz wanted them gone or not.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to theorize that TJ's comment was directed towards Buzz as a coach and them wanting out, etc.

That comment is meant to be between them and should stay that way.
wacarnolds
AG
Proposition Joe said:

I'm not calling for his head and I do think he'll improve this program. If I were saying Year 1 and Year 2 show Buzz will never get it done here that is one thing.

I'm simply not framing Year 1 and Year 2 as something other than underwhelming. Buzz' skins on the wall don't change that.

Everyone with two eyes and access to broadcasts of A&M basketball has been underwhelmed by the first 2 years of Buzz. I don't know how you've come to the conclusion that you are seeing things clearly and everyone else is deluding themselves.
Proposition Joe
wacarnolds said:

Proposition Joe said:

Everyone with two eyes and access to broadcasts of A&M basketball has been underwhelmed by the first 2 years of Buzz. I don't know how you've come to the conclusion that you are seeing things clearly and everyone else is deluding themselves.

There's literally a post on page 2 of this thread questioning whether Year 1 was actually underwhelming.
JJxvi
AG
Buzz has enough of a track record that I would pretty much have to see him lose big for like 4 more years (or more even) before I became convinced he wasnt good enough.

This is an extreme example from another sport meant to make my point, but if like, Nick Saban took another job and had a losing record, it'd be stupid for whatever program that hired him to be discussing changing coaches like its all on the coach.
Ag_EE_88
AG
Back to the original question. When would we expect to know for sure if it's true that Mcneilly is gone and if he takes any players with him?

bobinator
AG
Yeah, I think what some of us are saying is "sure the stock isn't where we hoped it would be, but it was due to x and y and I don't see those as issues moving forward so I'm still buying" but for some reason some people are like hung up on everyone not being more mad about it not being where we hoped.
MarcAg
AG
Ag_EE_88 said:

Back to the original question. When would we expect to know for sure if it's true that Mcneilly is gone and if he takes any players with him?

I think it's safe to say he is gone. I think it's safe to say his nephew is going with him. You don't usually see players follow assistant coaches to other schools where they are assistants, but family is different.
greg.w.h
AG
The notion we can materially change the past is misleading. I think we have had the sensation for quite a while something was shifting and the situation as described "makes sense" of what didn't make sense previously. I think we need to look forward and expect a repeat of the first season perhaps with less confusion at the start of the season regarding direction of the team.

I don't have a particular minimum bar in mind. Could we please not go as low as this year???
LawHall88
AG
MarcAg said:

Ag_EE_88 said:

I think it's safe to say he is gone. I think it's safe to say his nephew is going with him. You don't usually see players follow assistant coaches to other schools where they are assistants, but family is different.
One of the other new assistants for Minnesota is from William and Mary, and was announced about a week after Minnesota signed a William and Mary transfer.
MarcAg
AG
That's a little different though. That's a kid going from a nothing school where he broke out and realized he could play at a higher level.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Wow, I had to work all afternoon and hadn't checked TexAgs since mid morning, and this thread really took off for an offseason hoops thread! Got to a third page Lickety split!
Method Man
Great thread guys. Yes
Wicked Good Ag
What does it say when two of your top five players in minutes played per game have free eligibility to come back but transfer to South Alabama and Sam Houston.

Regardless of how you see that as good or bad it means there is some serious issues with the talent level for this program. Buzz hasn't gotten always the greatest players in his program but has likely exceed his talent level in terms of performance. But we just witnessed a National championship game that was an actual blowout and none of our players would have likely made a roster sans Miller and even then he would have gotten at best role minutes.
AgEfan
Bro you know they were told to move on, right? It was not please come back Flagg and Chandler and they said nope we are going to small conference schools instead.
Dominion Caracas Branch
I'm all for canning Buzz if no NCAAs after year four (though I think given our past history he gets at least five years).

We've never had a coach in MBB that has brought in his record. If he had that record here, he'd be our best MBB hands down. He has to produce here but I'm fine giving him four years. I'd like to see NIT level team next year and NCAA team in year four. It may happen. It may not. Buzz's track record says it will but who knows. I do think covid exposed stuff in the way he runs his program, and hopefully he will address it.

He inherited guys like flagg and chandler, maybe he should have gotten more out of them but he didn't and the fact they are going to sam and s. bama signifies maybe he did all he could.
Wicked Good Ag
AgEfan said:

Bro you know they were told to move on, right? It was not please come back Flagg and Chandler and they said nope we are going to small conference schools instead.

Yep but that also shows the level of the roster compared to what it needs to be. That is a lot on Buzz. Those guys were brought in by Kennedy and had 2 of the 5 most mins per game. And are leaving for the schools they are at the level they are. That says you roster is in seriously bad shape. And that is pretty much all on Buzz now
bobinator
AG
I don't think we can really rule yet on Buzz's recruiting here because freshmen all over the country struggled last year so I don't know what to read into the guys in the 2020 class yet.

I want to see how those guys look when next year starts before we start really writing any of them off.

It's still crazy that we didn't sign a single player in 2018.
Ag_EE_88
AG
bobinator said:

I don't think we can really rule yet on Buzz's recruiting here because freshmen all over the country struggled last year so I don't know what to read into the guys in the 2020 class yet.

I want to see how those guys look when next year starts before we start really writing any of them off.

It's still crazy that we didn't sign a single player in 2018.

You mean players that are still on the team? Wasn't that the signing class that Mahan and Mitchel were in?
bobinator
AG
Sorry I should have said high school players. We did sign two transfers. Mitchell exhausted his eligibility and Mahan left.
AggieTFA06
AG
I take it that Buzz is going to have to rely heavily on the transfer portal to fix things, correct?
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
Pumpkinhead
AG
AggieTFA06 said:

I take it that Buzz is going to have to rely heavily on the transfer portal to fix things, correct?

The transfer portal is part of the equation, they need to find a couple good players from there.

But they got a returning Miller, Diarra, Gordon, Quenton Jackson?, Robinson, Hefher, Aku, etc. and are adding new pieces 7-footer Brown (probably will be a starter), Obaseki (5-star ish level recruit, Wade, etc.

So the Transfer Portal is completing the roster but most of the roster for next season is already built.
Hop
Staff
AG
AggieTFA06 said:

No more than anybody else. People seem to forget that we'll have a Top 40-50 national prospect, a Top 100 point guard, a Top 100 post that already transferred last semester, and a Top 150 power forward coming online in June.

Yes, the transfer portal is now staple for every program going forward. It's not like Buzz is desperate and has to load up on transfers to compete. But he will need to land a couple of guys that can help.
greg.w.h
AG
Pretty exciting! Need to get them on the floor and roll the ball out!!!
Aston04
AG
His son should have played for us this year and last. It's a joke.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.