Coach McNeilly to Minnesota?

19,177 Views | 165 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by MarcAg
LawHall88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

MarcAg
AG
Been rumored he didn't get renewed for about a week. Will be interesting to see who he hires. Buzz likes to hire his guys. I wouldn't mind a Dallas guy being hired to help even more with recruiting the DFW area.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Becoming clearer now what is going on. Got a transfer spot open to fill for McNeilly as well (assuming he follows his uncle).

Edit: didn't intend thumbs up emoticon. Just observation.
LawHall88
AG
MarcAg said:

Been rumored he didn't get renewed for about a week. Will be interesting to see who he hires. Buzz likes to hire his guys. I wouldn't mind a Dallas guy being hired to help even more with recruiting the DFW area.
If he promotes from within, I'm guessing Vince Walden.
https://12thman.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/staff/vince-walden/303
wacarnolds
AG
Could also explain why the Canadian commit started looking around again
Logan Lee
Staff
AG
Quote:

We gonna lose Cashius?

While nothing is official and McNeilly is still technically on staff, I wouldn't be surprised if you don't see McNeilly, neither the coach or the player, on the A&M sideline next season.

We will update you if/when things become official.

Jimmy McNulty
AG
Well the player never was on the sideline
MarcAg
AG
Jimmy McNulty said:

Well the player never was on the sideline

He was on the sideline of every game his freshman year.
agtrevino07
AG
Does Buzz need a more experiencied assistant coach? Beard just put together an impressive staff comprised of the former UT arlington hc,former utep hc, top recruiter from Kansas and the least experienced is Maligi (former a&m asst). Scott Drew also has a very strong group of assistants.

Also, did Mcneilly leave or Buzz did not renew?
Gap
AG
What is going on in our basketball program? We expected Buzz to come in land some new players (impact transfers and recruits) and start kicking tail pretty much immediately.

Any and all momentum from hiring a big name like Buzz was just 2 years ago has been squandered. Players want to play for a winner and somehow Buzz is having trouble convincing folks this is a primary place you want to be. The whole thing is strange and unexpected.
WestHillsAg
AG
Buzz's tenure so far is very underwhelming......
Ag_EE_88
AG
I still don't understand why they redshirted Mcneilly. Wasted half of avyear we could of had with him.
Mikeyshooter
AG
Ag_EE_88 said:

I still don't understand why they redshirted Mcneilly. Wasted half of avyear we could of had with him.

No one knew there was a pandemic on the horizon.
Ag_EE_88
AG
Certainly he left on his own accord. Can't imagine an assistant would be let go after a season played during a pandemic. Especially after the season we had this year.

If he was not renewed, then Buzz or someone higher up thinks there needed to be some accountability for the season.
Ag_EE_88
AG
Mikeyshooter said:

Ag_EE_88 said:

But why would you ever redshirt the best player on your team when he would certainly have helped for all of conference play?
MarcAg
AG
Ag_EE_88 said:

I don't know the details, but look at Jaxson Robinson. He graduated a year early (like McNeilly), was rated higher than McNeilly and just wasn't ready to compete at the SEC level. Now imagine if Robinson had missed the first half of the season, he certainly never would have seen the court. So I think the thinking was McNeilly was never going to play that year being so young and so far behind with the missed time. Just my take on the matter without knowing what really happened.
Wicked Good Ag
Best player on the team?? How would anyone know that. He literally never played a minute at TAMU
Mikeyshooter
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

Best player on the team?? How would anyone know that. He literally never played a minute at TAMU

Only at A&M can a player show up, miss 2 full seasons, and leave as the best player on the team.
Method Man
Both McNeillys can let the doorknob hit them where the good lord split them!
greg.w.h
AG
Welp...the third first year for Buzz...
Hop
Staff
AG
Ag_EE_88 said:

Mikeyshooter said:

Ag_EE_88 said:

But why would you ever redshirt the best player on your team when he would certainly have helped for all of conference play?

He was hurt for an extended period and missed a lot of preseason practices and early season games. For the Buzz approach to work, guys have to go through boot camp and learn the systems. McNeilly didn't go through it and likely was going to struggle as a freshman. Buzz has never been a guy that recruited elite players and rolled the ball out and let them play.

You can complain that he's the "system coach" and not the "recruiting coach", but we knew what we were getting when he was hired.
DeangeloVickers
AG

Logan Lee
Staff
AG
Here's my view point of the last two years and some of the decisions made...

For those that say Buzz's first two years have been underwhelming, think about this:
1. First year started slow and had bad losses to multiple bad teams, but turned it around and won 10 games in SEC play AND named SEC Coach of the Year.
2. May have made the tournament in his first year, had some work to do in the SEC tournament, but was trending as a "first four in" type selection.
3. Covid cut that run short
4. Covid season, where he didn't bring his team to campus until well into September to start working out as a team.
5. Hardly got a routine and for a coach that is sooooo routine oriented, that is hard for not just the team, but the main man and when the head guy doesn't have a routine to follow, like he did, every day for the previous 37 years of his life, it can be tough on EVERYONE.
6. didn't play a single game in the month of February
7. had a tough year

At the end of the first year, everyone was ecstatic about what he had done and how he turned the team around in the second half of the year and the future is bright.

Then Covid hit and now everything is doom and gloom.

Everyone knew it would take some time, and Covid has extended that time frame by just a year, but don't forget about the first year and winning SEC COY and a 10-8 record in conference play.
MarcAg
AG
I doubt we ever get the story, but McNeilly and Buzz have been together for 12 years. What happened? I'm not going to lose sleep over Jamie McNeilly leaving (I dont feel he is unreplaceable) , but I am curious what triggered this. Buzz become unhappy and decide a change was needed? Did Jamie become unhappy and decide a change was needed? I doubt we ever get the real story, but I am curious to hear what happened.
bobinator
AG
There is absolutely no way we were going to make the NCAA Tournament without winning the SEC Tournament. We'd have been a longshot to even make the NIT.
txag10
AG
Quote:

2. May have made the tournament in his first year, had some work to do in the SEC tournament, but was trending as a "first four in" type selection.
LOL What
Gap
AG

Quote:

What in the world? That isn't even remotely accurate. I have never seen anyone claim that before.

Our NET Ranking was 113. We weren't even listed as a bubble team for the NIT.

Our only chance for the post-season was like everyone else on the outside of the tournament and that was to win the SEC Tournament by winning 4 games in 4 days.
Logan Lee
Staff
AG
I absolutely think they were trending in the right direction to make the tourney.

I didn't say they were locks, and I did say they had some work to do, but from what the conversations were about A&M and Buzz being the COY, they had a chance to be on the bubble and making it.

I don't think they would have had to win the tournament, but I do think they had a chance to win the first two games, which I believe would have put them in the saturday game. Anything could have happened from there. The NIT was a lock after last season.
bobinator
AG
Yeah it's a wild thing to say. It's either gaslighting people who don't know how the NCAA Tournament works or not knowing yourself how the NCAA Tournament works.

There could be two 68-team NCAA Tournaments and we'd have probably been lucky to make the second one.
Logan Lee
Staff
AG
Once again, not saying it was a lock, but they werre trending in that direction. They would have had work to do, but it was work that was feasible.

It wasn't like this year where they won 2 conference games and then had to win the SEC tourney to get in. They were TRENDING in that direction, which is why conversations were starting to rumble about the possibilities.

DeangeloVickers
AG
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28577356/ncaa-tournament-bubble-watch-updated-look-wildest-bubble-years

Not even listed as work to do. We were a lock for out

Hell, our kenpom was #131 in 2020
Logan Lee
Staff
AG
I'm not gaslighting anything. I'm saying it was possible.

I follow the conversations on this board. I know the level of knowledge of the posters in here. For you to follow up with a comment that there could have been two 68-team brackets and the Ags not get in is outrageous.

Wicked Good Ag
We were not going to make the tourney in 2020 without winning the SEC tourney. As for this year every D1 program had the same battles and being in a power five with major resources we had an advantage over 70% of the programs to deal with Covid. We as a collective group failed miserably in that way. Worst I think then any program that attempted to play. That said I will see how he does in the future
txag10
AG
You stating the 2019-2020 Texas A&M Basketball team hand any opportunity to make the NCAA Tournament without gaining an auto bid by winning the SEC Tournament is an all time absurd post. If you think that was 'possible' ... geez, sure hope that's not the case for the TexAgs basketball guy.
Logan Lee
Staff
AG
I agree with this year and how the team handled Covid, in comparison to everyone else.

I think this year had just as much to do with Buzz as it did with anything else. The reason I say that is because Buzz is a very routine oriented person and he has his set schedule each and every day, each and every week, each and every month. His days are timed out and he sticks to said schedule.

This year, there was no schedule to follow. There was no routine to follow. In my opinion, it through him off course and that had the team off course. People reacted to Covid differently and while Buzz handled it the best he could, the lack of routine probably affected those people who rely on a scheduled routine more than others.

As for next year, Buzz will have a lot of work to do. This past year the team took steps backwards and they have to make up those lost steps and gain more in the same year.

They have recruits in place coming, but Buzz will have to figure out how to get them all together and on the same page in record time. And let's not forget he will most likely bring in a couple of transfer to add tot he mix and that looks like it's going to take longer than originally expected, which means less time to make it work.

Uphill battles for sure.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.