Coach McNeilly to Minnesota?

19,456 Views | 165 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by MarcAg
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Logan, I like you and I think we know each other well enough in real life that you know I'm not just trolling. The fact that you still think you're right about this is truly mind blowing. People on here that sometimes disagree just on principle about everything agree on this.

There is absolutely no way that team was making the NCAA Tournament unless some sort of coordinated nuclear strike took out like AT LEAST 30 other teams.
Gap
AG
We had one (and only one) path to the NCAA tournament and it was winning 4 games in 4 days in Nashville to win the SEC tournament. We had the same shot that any team not on the bubble had at that point.
bobinator
AG
Right, I shouldn't say no way, but no way other than winning the SECT.
Logan Lee
Staff
AG
"Had some work to do"

If that means winning the tournament, then so be it. I said I thought they could get to Saturday and then if they did make it to Saturday, the momentum would be rolling and anything could happen.

And, yes, you do know me, so you should know that when I say people were talking about A&M's trajectory, that's not blowing smoke, or gaslighting. I never once said I think they were making the tournament and had a good enough resume to get in at large. I simply said that people were talking about it. I had people within the SEC talking about it. I had coaching friends at small conference schools talking about the worry of A&M making a run in the conference tournament and taking their possible place.

I personally didn't believe that to be true and you can ask some of the people within the program because I told them as much, but what I communicated to this board was what I had heard. I did think they had that possibility just because of what other's believed... not from my personal opinion.

But then again, it goes back to why I wrote that, which was to show that the first year wasn't a huge disappointment. I don't think anyone thought the Ags were going to win 10 games in conference before the season started and certainly not after the Orlando tournament. I don't think anyone saw Chuck and Nebo playing the way they did to finish the season, especially with Chuck being knocked down to third string after a handful of games and Nebo not even seeing the court for the first month.

My point is simple. Covid year sucked and it sucked more for some than it did for others but is this past season really something to get upset about. The offense was terrible. The defense held its own for the most part. The rebounding was about par and the turnovers were bad. But what do you expect from a team that was primarily young, had zero offseason, played half the non-conference games than usual, missed the entire month of February due to covid pauses in the program, etc.

Covid was hard on everyone and the Ags didn't handle it as well as other programs, but IMO, the first year wasn't as underwhelming as some people are trying to pass it off as.
bobinator
AG

Quote:

I personally didn't believe that to be true and you can ask some of the people within the program because I told them as much, but what I communicated to this board was what I had heard. I did think they had that possibility just because of what other's believed... not from my personal opinion.

Now you're saying you didn't believe something that you previously said you believe. This is from page one:

Quote:

I absolutely think they were trending in the right direction to make the tourney.

I didn't say they were locks, and I did say they had some work to do, but from what the conversations were about A&M and Buzz being the COY, they had a chance to be on the bubble and making it.

I don't think they would have had to win the tournament,

Page two:

Quote:

You aren't weighing options like the committee would have done. Refer to the last post I made about possibly forgiving the HORRIBLE Orlando tournament and weight it more heavily on the final part of the season.

If all of that plays out, there was a chance. I didn't say a GREAT chance. I said a chance. And that was my point.

That said, the point about whether or not you think that team had a chance doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things and we can just move past it because I mostly agree with your larger point.

I personally am not worried too much about last season and I'm not worried much about the program under Buzz. But the people that are have some good ammo as to why.

- Year one turned out good at the end, but we were worse at the beginning than we needed to be. Figuring out the offense or learning the personnel or whatever else, we not only got blasted by Fairfield, we gave up like 35 points to one person. That shouldn't happen.

- Covid year or not, one of the guys that we were counting on to be good (Flagg), was actually worse than he was the year before. You don't expect senior players to get worse under a coach no matter what's happening off the court.

- Our offense was an absolute disaster, and was all season. You'd expect a high level coach to figure out something that works.

Those are just three points that are hard to argue against.
Mikeyshooter
AG
I still need an explanation on our weird defensive philosophy/strategy. The over helping, constantly scrambling chaos that doesn't look like a well coached unit. But hey, I'm sure we can blame it on COVID and the lack of a competent big man.
wacarnolds
AG
I can't stand to go back through this thread, did it ever become official McNeilly took the job at Minnesota?
bobinator
AG
No.
MarcAg
AG
It often takes a long time for assistants to be officially named.
wacarnolds
AG
Weird that it's been hanging out there for 5 days
wacarnolds
AG
MarcAg said:

It often takes a long time for assistants to be officially named.

So is it done? I don't care if the legalities of it are still processing, but i don't remember rumors like this going unannounced.
MarcAg
AG
Based on the staff posts and the fact A&M posted a job posting for an assistant coach I think it's done.
Ag_EE_88
AG
It's not just silence from us. There hasn't been anything from the gophers either. Wonder if the deal fell through for some reason....
MarcAg
AG
Ag_EE_88 said:

It's not just silence from us. There hasn't been anything from the gophers either. Wonder if the deal fell through for some reason....

Do you remember how long before Buzz's staff became official after being rumored? Forever!!!

Could also be a contract thing where his contract isn't up until like May and Minnesota waiting until he is officially free.

The staff here has pretty much implied he is gone and haven't done anything to suggest it's still not happening.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Hop said:

But with how heavily Buzz relies on systems, routines, and team culture to be successful, losing 3-4 months of summer prep and team building was particularly challenging to the staff. Add in the in-season shut down that took away about a month of practice and games, and this program was impacted as much or more than most schools.

There's not a team in the country that wasn't under the same prep issues that A&M was, and Buzz is hardly the only coach of his kind. As far as missing in season time, Baylor missed most of February.

You're trying way too hard and your "reasons" sound way too much like excuses. Sorry, but they do. You may not intend for them to, but that's how it comes across. All the things you mentioned were events all or many other teams faced. Just because they also affected blue blood schools doesn't mean the fact that they affected A&M should be dismissed.

If your point is that, given steady progress in the next few years, this year may force an additional year to get to where we want to be as a program -- then, yeah, I can buy that. I don't think I've heard anyone say cut him loose or this just won't work out.

But if your point is that this year should be ignored in its entirety or even worse, it gives everyone a complete start from scratch reset, then no, that's just nuts. What I'm hearing here is concerns for the program -- concerns that in the past we've waited way too long to deal with. The season is also something to learn from, that maybe a coach can't be so structured that it takes several months to get a team ready to play at a high level. With the transfer portal in place, what if his starting/best players all graduated or left the same year? I don't want to go from a 3 year out of 4 Sweet 16 type team to a 12 win team the next because there's not enough time to get the players he wants on the floor to "gel" with each other.

I realize it isn't the exact same thing but my point is that every good coach should learn from failure. Hopefully, he will and the A&M basketball program will be much stronger for it.
bobinator
AG

Quote:

You're trying way too hard and your "reasons" sound way too much like excuses. Sorry, but they do. You may not intend for them to, but that's how it comes across. All the things you mentioned were events all or many other teams faced. Just because they also affected blue blood schools doesn't mean the fact that they affected A&M should be dismissed.

The only difference between a reason and an excuse is if you personally believe it. And nobody is dismissing anything.
Ag_EE_88
AG
MarcAg said:

Ag_EE_88 said:

Do you remember how long before Buzz's staff became official after being rumored? Forever!!!

Could also be a contract thing where his contract isn't up until like May and Minnesota waiting until he is officially free.

The staff here has pretty much implied he is gone and haven't done anything to suggest it's still not happening.

Good point. Could be the contract thing. If his contract isn't up until May then I could see them waiting to save a few $. Guess McNeilly is probably getting a few weeks vacay out of it. Can't imagine we'd allow him to recruit for the gophers while we are still paying him. But who knows.
wacarnolds
AG
I guess one possible explanation for the delay in announcing the move to Minnesota is that Jamie now has a much better bargaining chip in EMiller and can probably find a better job
MarcAg
AG
wacarnolds said:

I guess one possible explanation for the delay in announcing the move to Minnesota is that Jamie now has a much better bargaining chip in EMiller and can probably find a better job

I think it was a contact thing. Minnesota waiting until his contract is officially up.
Gap
AG
If Coach McNeilly is out working and recruiting for Minnesota right now (and influencing our players to go to Minnesota) and still on the Texas A&M payroll that is a terrible conflict of interest and precedent.

It isn't some buddy/buddy deal when our school and Athletic Department is still paying him and he is under contract.

If that type of understanding were "normal", we would have another coach on the recruiting trail right now with another school paying for him for us. If we are still paying McNeilly, he owes us his best work right now.
fatdad84ag
AG
Could it possibly be that his last payment was due on the 15th of the month. That is what opened the door to the transfer portal for Miller and Cassius today.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Gap said:

If Coach McNeilly is out working and recruiting for Minnesota right now (and influencing our players to go to Minnesota) and still on the Texas A&M payroll that is a terrible conflict of interest and precedent.

It isn't some buddy/buddy deal when our school and Athletic Department is still paying him and he is under contract.

If that type of understanding were "normal", we would have another coach on the recruiting trail right now with another school paying for him for us. If we are still paying McNeilly, he owes us his best work right now.
Billy Clyde was recruiting to UK while still on our payroll.
Ag_EE_88
AG
Guess Buzz finally gave McNeilly too much of the reigns. Things have changed a lot in the last year. There was a sentence in there about McNeilly always having a job if he wanted it. I guess he decided he didn't want it.

https://theeagle.com/sports/right-hand-man-jamie-mcneilly-a-crucial-piece-of-texas-a-m-mens-basketball-program/article_3122d8ce-5799-11ea-a930-4f70b1282b45.html
AggieHoopsGuy
AG
Do we have any targets to replace McNeilly? Someone with deep in-state recruiting ties would be ideal.
MarcAg
AG
AggieHoopsGuy said:

Do we have any targets to replace McNeilly? Someone with deep in-state recruiting ties would be ideal.

I'm sure Buzz already knows who he is hiring. Or at least has it down to a few candidates.
Artimus Gordon
https://gophersports.com/sports/mens-basketball/coaches

So when does Mcneilly get on board?
MarcAg
AG
Artimus Gordon said:

https://gophersports.com/sports/mens-basketball/coaches

So when does Mcneilly get on board?
I would guess next week. I bet his contract is up in May. But thats just a guess

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.