Yell Leaders

11,336 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Sandman23
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Larger issue...student organization.

There needs to be a student fan club or support organization around men's basketball that has the leadership and the drive to blitz the campus non-stop. Social Media, fliers, talk with professors, etc.

The AD also has to help by incorporating the local community more, especially in the early non-con when the gym is empty. Promote Father-Daughter night...1 ticket gets 2 seats. Work with BISD & CISD to do some events.

Get more local families into the gym for cheap during non-con, and then maybe they follow the team during the season and start buying tickets during conference play.

That's how you start. Then there's a lot to change to the actual gameday environment.
greg.w.h
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Larger issue...student organization.

There needs to be a student fan club or support organization around men's basketball that has the leadership and the drive to blitz the campus non-stop. Social Media, fliers, talk with professors, etc.

The AD also has to help by incorporating the local community more, especially in the early non-con when the gym is empty. Promote Father-Daughter night...1 ticket gets 2 seats. Work with BISD & CISD to do some events.

Get more local families into the gym for cheap during non-con, and then maybe they follow the team during the season and start buying tickets during conference play.

That's how you start. Then there's a lot to change to the actual gameday environment.
The problem is not students. The supposed professionals need to figure out what they're trying to accomplish first. I'm absolutely certain that a robust outreach program to students would help. And that a more robust local community marketing and outreach program would also help.

A very interesting question is whether the group that runs Reed and the Athletic Department and the TMF coordinate well on the outreach and on gameday experience. I suspect there are too many shared responsibilities where no one is fully accountable.
CDub06
AG
RIP 12th Man Rewards
JJxvi
AG
Quote:

A very interesting question is whether the group that runs Reed and the Athletic Department and the TMF coordinate well on the outreach and on gameday experience. I suspect there are too many shared responsibilities where no one is fully accountable.
Texas A&M Athletics runs Reed Arena and has for about 10 or more years now. In fact a guy named Darren Davis was just hired to be GM of Reed Arena about a week ago. It was Athletics who hires that position and who he works for.

https://12thman.com/news/2020/2/21/texas-am-athletics-selects-davis-as-general-manager-for-reed-arena.aspx
greg.w.h
AG
Feb 21, 2020 article. Got news on how marketing is run? They might have consolidated to address this recently...
greg.w.h
AG
I don't think he's completely focused on our intercollegiate sporting:

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/New-Reed-Arena--568263321.html
Rongagin71
AG
Does anyone else think that the Yell Leaders are a student organization that gets to decide when and where and what yells they do?
greg.w.h
AG
Rongagin71 said:

Does anyone else think that the Yell Leaders are a student organization that gets to decide when and where and what yells they do?
They almost certainly are, though in theory there is a coordinating group:

https://traditions.tamu.edu/
rwtxag83
AG
Agzonfire said:

You really can't understand how millions of Aggies live more than an hour or two away for CS? Get a grip

Why do you think I can't understand that?

Who cares? When BCG Was coaching, we had students camping out for tickets and capacity and near capacity crowds regularly. We'll get back there quickly under Buzz. The students are at A&M in significantly larger numbers than 12-13 years ago too.
Greater love hath no man than this....
rwtxag83
AG
Well, good for you for disagreeing. I've been there when we had sellouts under BCG, and it was a tremendous atmosphere. We'll be at close to that by next year under Buzz
Greater love hath no man than this....
Sandman23
AG
mazag08 said:

To be fair, the Reed rowdies in the Gillespie years, decked out with 17 arm bands and head bands, were infinitely more cringey than the overall kids last game or the yell leaders. Buy they did a way better job of facilitating an atmosphere by copying everything Duke does.
I feel personally attacked.
------- Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2007

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.