Yell Leaders

11,361 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Sandman23
Aston04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Method Man said:

^this. Why are these kids doing horns down? Pathetic.
At least they came to the game.
Captain Pablo
AG
Get rid of the yell leaders at basketball games

And the watermelon yell is dumb. I don't care what Rick Barnes says. Bus driver, horse laugh

All dumb
jeremy
AG
I'm not trolling about the dance team. I don't go to basketball games to watch dancing women. Everytime we have some momentum, timeout is called, and the dance team comes out, the atmosphere dies. It's boring. Keep em for half-time. That's it.
bobinator
AG
Yeah I just wasn't sure. But I agree the dance team kills the atmosphere. At least give them music that the crowd can get into and kids can dance to also or something and not random mashups of songs from 20 years ago.
Harry Dunne
No yell leaders = no more time outs ever called by the opposing team. I like it.
aggietony2010
AG
bobinator said:

Yeah I just wasn't sure. But I agree the dance team kills the atmosphere. At least give them music that the crowd can get into and kids can dance to also or something and not random mashups of songs from 20 years ago.

I think that what really needs to be done with the dance team is just let them be the cheerleaders they're clearly a substitute for. Let them lead a yell by holding up signs. Let them engage the crowd. The issue i have with the yell leaders is that them being there makes it seem that they're responsible for the atmosphere.

There's no reason we should turn the lights off, do the hype video, get excited, and then let a dance team that doesn't attempt to engage the crowd have the floor for 2 minutes.

Even when we had big, rowdy crowds, any time the dance team took the floor, the crowd would just start sitting on their hands.
bobinator
AG
aggietony2010 said:

The issue i have with the yell leaders is that them being there makes it seem that they're responsible for the atmosphere.

This is really the crux of the problem. Having them there definitely stifles some creativity because people just lean on them too much. But I also don't think we can just get rid of them and hope a basketball atmosphere creates itself organically. Maybe if we were awesome and the student section was filling up regularly.

I think there's a balance there where students can be creative and and stuff can just naturally happen, but also some coordinated stuff. I don't think it has to be just one or the other.
DukeMu

I'm not getting any younger but the yell leaders look ghey as heck at a b'ball game. They look like milkmen from the movie Pleasantville making a delivery. OK, I guess at a football game...if we played with leather helmets. I'm with new army on this.

Dance team, cheerleaders would be fine. Acrobats at halftime.

DukeMu

At Cameron Indoor back in the day we didn't need yell leaders, cheerleaders, dance team, the band, etc.

The fans started a cheer, the cheerleaders followed the lead of the students not vice versa. Many of the cheers were spontaneous and became legendary.

- "Airball" chant began during a January 1979 game against UNC, when Rich Yonakor bricked a jump shot over the rim and to the side.

- "Not your Father" for Georgia Tech's Glenn Rice Jr.

- "See ya" upon opponent fouling out

- "Stand up Stokes" for UVa's diminutive Ricky Stokes

- "Left, Right" when opposing player fouled out.

- "In-Hale, Ex-Hale" When UNC player Steve Hale punctured a lung (a little cruel)

- "Not our Rivals" to Maryland

When Lorenzo Charles was arrested for stealing pizzas, the Crazies threw pizza boxes on the flow.

When Tiny Pinder was caught changing price tags on underwear, you guessed it.

Inflatable whiskey bottles when NCState coach Norm Sloan explained in an interview the Camerons fans were drunkards...and on and on.

Aggie fans were loud as hell during BCG days. It's time again, as the Buzz Dynasty begins.

All tickets should be $5. Let's fill the Reed!

Tobias Funke
AG
With all due respect, telling Duke stories on this board is annoying af
txtomster
I would like to see people support the dance team more ! Those ladies work hard and deserve some applause. I don't always love the music but they do a nice job . Please clap for them !
aggietony2010
AG
txtomster said:

I would like to see people support the dance team more ! Those ladies work hard and deserve some applause. I don't always love the music but they do a nice job . Please clap for them !

They do work hard. So do a lot of other musical groups on campus, but they aren't given a captive audience to perform routines to every week during basketball season like the Aggie Dance Team.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be at Reed. I just think them, the Rowdies, and the yell leaders need to coordinate how they can all contribute to making the Reed environment as rowdy as possible.

They can still have their routine at the beginning of the game and throughout. But let's give them some signs that spell "Aggies" and let them lead that yell pre-game while the rest of them dance.
Tobias Funke
AG
Wait, that's your solution? Original complaint invalidated
txtomster
I can agree to that ! Mix up cheers in addition to their routines.
DukeMu
Tobias Funke said:

With all due respect, telling Duke stories on this board is annoying af

Sorry - I'm saying Ags need to try harder. Getting to the game is step #1.
Baby Billy
AG
Reed sucks
The yell leaders suck
The Reed rowdies suck

The dance team does not suck, but their role at Reed sucks and doesn't serve much purpose.

The entire operation needs to be blown up and re-done from scratch. Starting with a brand new, much smaller, traditional basketball gym
Expert Analysis
AG
They had signs one season, maybe 4-5 years ago. Maybe it was just for women's basketball. Not sure it even made it the whole season.
I think gigem and Aggies and maroon and white were sign pairs they had to try and get the back and forth yell thing going. Didn't work.
Class of 65
AG
I see you have not gone to very many games the last few years. Show up and support Buzz.
Class of 65
AG
ehrmantraut said:

Reed sucks
The yell leaders suck
The Reed rowdies suck

The dance team does not suck, but their role at Reed sucks and doesn't serve much purpose.

The entire operation needs to be blown up and re-done from scratch. Starting with a brand new, much smaller, traditional basketball gym
So sorry you do not like basketball.
greg.w.h
AG
My only complaint about Reed is that it strikes me...mostly due to the lighting...as sterile. The yell leaders aren't in place in a way that helps basketball, but we do have...or had at least...some basketball-specific traditions one of which is the sit down bus driver yell. Left-right, reading Batts while the visiting team cane out and balling and throwing them were a couple of others.

It was around my time that a particularly focused baseball announcer gifted Texas A&M with a series of baseball-specific memes most of which have endured. Jackie Sherrill brought in the Steelers' terrible towels and the 12th Man kickoff squad.

Resting on traditions is itself a form of sterility. And to be honest, no one person controls traditions just like the yell leaders don't control the basketball traditions and should work hard to shape game experiences to make games more fun.

All traditions are subject to renewal of course. I really like sit down bus driver...let's keep it but perhaps we don't have to only do it as a yell...
jeremy
AG
I'm talking about the dance team.
75AG
AG
jeremy said:

I'm not trolling about the dance team. I don't go to basketball games to watch dancing women. Everytime we have some momentum, timeout is called, and the dance team comes out, the atmosphere dies. It's boring. Keep em for half-time. That's it.
Times outs are either set by TV, or expanded by TV when the coaches call them. To think the crowd will keep its intensity for a three minute timeout is goofy. The dance team does not stop any momentum.
wheelz
AG
1. Put students (at least) along one side of the court.
2. Get rid of yell leaders doing yells.
3. Welcome in a new era of big time basketball.
bobinator
AG
The dance team definitely stops momentum right before tip off. I've always hated that.
bobinator
AG
These threads always go off the rails because in part there's too many insane takes ("we shouldn't even have yell leaders at football"), but I do think there are some valid concerns/ideas/etc in here.

Hopefully now that it looks like basketball is on its way back here the yell leaders/rowdies/band/whoever can meet up in the offseason and take a look at how everything works and come up with some ideas. One thing we can all agree on is that the atmosphere at Reed needs some work, and hopefully it's something the AD has noticed as well.
Proposition Joe
Creating a raucous atmosphere at Reed is difficult to do as you're kind of stuck on what seating approach to take.

Even IF the students start showing up and being loud, being behind the baskets makes it difficult for that loudness to really impact the entire arena... but you can't move them to the sidelines without pushing out your cash cow of season ticket holders (or as I suspect, a lot of blue hairs that have lifetime/grandfathered deals that are going to make a fuss if you attempt to move them).

But said blue hairs are never going to be all that loud on the sidelines.
Captain Pablo
AG
bobinator said:

These threads always go off the rails because in part there's too many insane takes ("we shouldn't even have yell leaders at football"), but I do think there are some valid concerns/ideas/etc in here.

Hopefully now that it looks like basketball is on its way back here the yell leaders/rowdies/band/whoever can meet up in the offseason and take a look at how everything works and come up with some ideas. One thing we can all agree on is that the atmosphere at Reed needs some work, and hopefully it's something the AD has noticed as well.

Agree with all of that

However, we've had good basketball in the last 20 years, but despite problems with Reed atmosphere being known, nothing was done

Hopefully Buzz can be a catalyst

We'll see

I am however in the camp that yell leaders are a bad fit for for basketball
bobinator
AG
At Kansas they're on the ends. I'm sure there are other good atmospheres where the students are just on the ends also, but that's just one that I've been to.

I don't think the seat location is that big of a problem, especially because they're at both ends. Back when it was just one end (with just the band on the other end) that really sucked.

I do wish we could get them closer though. That walkway behind the courtside seats and the front row of students is huge. At Oklahoma State and even Baylor for example it feels like the students are right on the court but here they're way back.
bobinator
AG
I think saying nothing was done is unfair. I think some things were tried, with varying degrees of success, and then the innovation stopped and things got stale.

The Hullabaloo band is a good example. That was created to help the environment because the Aggie Band didn't show up every game and it was a bad fit in the arena. But, I don't think the song list has changed much since they were first created.

They closed in the other end of the arena, which helped bring more people closer to the visitor's bench. That was a good change. Fans knew to wear white for a while, that made the arena at least look more full.

I remember the yell leaders trying some different yells, chants, etc. Some worked, some didn't.

But things started to get stale even under Turgeon and then we had our years in the wilderness before we were good again and by the time we were good again a whole generation of students had turned over.
bobinator
AG
Actually the old Hullabaloo director did try something that I just remembered. He actually wrote a song trying to cue up the crowd to yell "gig-em-Aggies" at a certain time but it never caught on. I didn't care for it, but it was at least an idea.
Proposition Joe
Yeah I've no doubt you CAN have a good atmosphere with students on just the ends, but for environments that are going to struggle just based on interest (read: anywhere in Texas), it handicaps you significantly.

Not to say this in an insulting way, but it's just a very old crowd on the sidelines (for reasons I've theorized above) and that impacts how lively the atmosphere is going to get.

I may be selectively seeing things, but other venues I watch on television -- even those without students on the sidelines -- skew to a significantly younger demographic in the prime sideline seats (late 30's -> 50's). If you have any of our games DVRed, go back and look at the commentators talking right before tip and the seating behind them. It looks like an assisted living facility.
Captain Pablo
AG
bobinator said:

I think saying nothing was done is unfair. I think some things were tried, with varying degrees of success, and then the innovation stopped and things got stale.

The Hullabaloo band is a good example. That was created to help the environment because the Aggie Band didn't show up every game and it was a bad fit in the arena. But, I don't think the song list has changed much since they were first created.

They closed in the other end of the arena, which helped bring more people closer to the visitor's bench. That was a good change. Fans knew to wear white for a while, that made the arena at least look more full.

I remember the yell leaders trying some different yells, chants, etc. Some worked, some didn't.

But things started to get stale even under Turgeon and then we had our years in the wilderness before we were good again and by the time we were good again a whole generation of students had turned over.

I was just about to say Hullabaloo Band

Wasn't sure when they started

Yeah spent man dreary Saturday afternoons at G Rollie with the Aggie Band playing Souza marches at basketball games

Absolutely dreadful
gigemags87
AG
I suggest attending a game live. You will see that the yell leaders are part of a very balanced experience. The dance team is actually the most prominent followed by a smattering of band, Rowdies and yell leaders.
bobinator
AG
I think some of that is just our local demographics and the fact that we haven't been very good. There is a growing number of young professionals in College Station but it's definitely not a huge part of the population. When we're good we get more people coming in from Houston and Austin, so hopefully as we improve, that will improve.

Tech did give the students a few sections on the sideline.

Maybe if they make some kind of big renovation to Reed, which has been talked about lately, they can use that as an opportunity to rethink the student seating. It would be nice if they could have the seats below the rails even if it's just in a couple of sections like 106-107.
mazag08
AG
To be fair, the Reed rowdies in the Gillespie years, decked out with 17 arm bands and head bands, were infinitely more cringey than the overall kids last game or the yell leaders. Buy they did a way better job of facilitating an atmosphere by copying everything Duke does.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.