Yell Leaders

11,320 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Sandman23
Agzonfire
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OK, I'll admit that I haven't watched much basketball the past few years but are the yell leaders still running g the show at games? It seems like this is a perfect opportunity to show off a lighter side of our school and have more fun with a dance team and cheerleaders.
No one needs to be told when to cheer at a basketball game, right? Loosen up a little!
Sananag
We need to put the student section on the side. Behind the benches. Too many old Ags are there sitting on their hands.
DDowl44
AG
When you say a few years are you including the entirety of the BCG, Turge, Kennedy eras? Yes they still lead yells but we have always had a dance team make a presence as well, and the Reed Rowdies are always loud on Defense when we have a packed house.
----------------------------------------------------
I cannot fiddle but I can build a great state from a small city-Themistocles

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2009
Titan 20
Agzonfire
Well I graduated in 2006 and I figured we maybe progressed a little since then. Honest question, what do we do now that is different/better than 14 years ago?
Philip J Fry
AG
We've been saying this for literally a decade or more. Yell leaders don't belong on basketball and it's beyond me why the admin doesn't see that after all these years.
mazag08
AG
Yeah it's time to get rid of them. It's nothing against them as people. We just don't need them. They actually restrict the atmosphere because the average student waits for them to know what to do. Time to move on
Bucketrunner
I'm good with no yell leaders so long as we don't have crotch shot cheerleaders
JayD23
AG
Bucketrunner said:

what is a crotch shot cheerleader? Real question
mazag08
AG
JayD23 said:

Bucketrunner said:

It sounds worth investigating to me..
Muy
AG
Gigemrunrs said:

We need to put the student section on the side. Behind the benches. Too many old Ags are there sitting on their hands.

Agree 100%. Embarrassing that big time programs have students right on screen and outs are tucked away in the corner.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Agzonfire said:

OK, I'll admit that I haven't watched much basketball the past few years but are the yell leaders still running g the show at games? It seems like this is a perfect opportunity to show off a lighter side of our school and have more fun with a dance team and cheerleaders.
No one needs to be told when to cheer at a basketball game, right? Loosen up a little!
You dont even know what is going on but you must comment !
AggieDruggist89
AG
Our yells are dumb. Didn't like it then and don't like it now. Tradition? Sure keep them yell leaders around but we need cheerleaders at the football games.

Yell leader gestures and moves are hideous and nothing to be proud of. Looks funny and for those who think it's a good representation of our school need to take off the Maroon Shades. Yell Leaders are like out of style fashion; mullet hairstyle, low cut bell bottom pants, disco, parachute pants....

AggieDruggist89
AG
mazag08 said:

Yeah it's time to get rid of them. It's nothing against them as people. We just don't need them. They actually restrict the atmosphere because the average student waits for them to know what to do. Time to move on

Agreed
PatAg
AG
I'd be ok with yell leaders staying, but actually doing yells needs to go away. Makes no sense at basketball games
AggieDruggist89
AG
PatAg said:

I'd be ok with yell leaders staying, but actually doing yells needs to go away. Makes no sense at basketball games

Even during football games unless during quarter breaks, time outs, and before the game. Let the students scream and make noise and this can be prompted by cheerleaders.
Aston04
AG
The ultimate example of why they shouldn't be at Reed is Aggie Baseball. It was allowed to develop its own culture and developed a great game day environment. It would be cringe worthy too if they tried to lead yells at baseball games.
bobinator
AG
This is still the worst consistent take on here
Little Rock Ag
AG
Philip J Fry said:

We've been saying this for literally a decade or more. Yell leaders don't belong on basketball and it's beyond me why the admin doesn't see that after all these years.
I think we were saying it in 1994, but my memory is aging fast.
Tobias Funke
AG
Aston04 said:

The ultimate example of why they shouldn't be at Reed is Aggie Baseball. It was allowed to develop its own culture and developed a great game day environment. It would be cringe worthy too if they tried to lead yells at baseball games.

I don't hate yell leaders at games and have never advocated removing them (although I understand the reasons why some people are anti)... but I do think this take is the strongest argument against keeping them at Reed, I would be curious to see what kind of atmosphere and unique b-ball culture our students could create on their own.

Then again, it could suck
bobinator
AG
I think we'd need to be good for a long time to have any kind of chance without the yell leaders.

I think it's possible without them, it's just easier with them.
BrandoC
AG
Take them out of basketball and add cheerleaders to football.
SquirrellyDan
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Other than as an auxiliary side show, they don't belong on a football field either.
Eliminatus
AG
bobinator said:

This is still the worst consistent take on here

Nah. It's legitimate.

Basketball is too fast and ....organic is the word maybe for yells. Maybe spontaneous. Yells are VERY structured pantomimes that don't fit into a fast moving and energetic bball game. At all. It is restricting and disrupts the fun atmosphere.

We would do better without them.

It's a pretty good take if I say so myself.
SunrayAg
AG
Aston04 said:

I was one of the front row raggers at Olsen from 89-92. We weren't called the Raggies yet back then. I think it was around 1991 or so, that the yell leaders decided to make an appearance at Olsen and stand in front of the student section facing the crowd and start trying to lead yells during the last home series of the year against the sips. They showed up about 5 minutes before first pitch for the Friday night game and tried to take over the front row walkway area in front of the student section on the second deck.

We basically threw them the hell out. Told them that if they didn't get a foul ball in the back of the head, they were going to get dogpiled by those of us on the front row whose space they were trying to take over. They quickly went and found seats and as far as I know never again attempted to take over baseball games.

I don't think we need "cheerleaders" at basketball games as the dance team fills that role just fine, but the yell leaders certainly don't add to the atmosphere in a basketball arena.

(And I fully support yell leaders at football games, where the tradition started.)
DeangeloVickers
AG
Arizona State is proof you don't need to be good to have a good student section

Their students got creative and made it fun

Our students made baseball fun....we can do the same with basketball

Every University used to have yell leaders and they changed...and there is a reason they changed....
It's used against us in recruiting
It's weird
It doesn't add to our environment

The sec tourney and NCAA tourney games it even gets weirder..squeezing nuts behind the goal
The dance contest two years ago of mascots took it to an all time low.

Please for the love of God get rid of yell leaders at basketball...
bobinator
AG
The "student" leaders at baseball include a lot of non-students who still sit there. So the living memory of the traditions is a lot longer. That and I think the pace of the game helps and the whole student section maybe holds 1,000 people. There are a lot of reasons that not having yell leaders works for baseball.

I just think, and have seen, that there's a middle ground between only having them and kicking them out completely. I do think the students need freedom to be more creative when the ball is live though.

A great example of how they're useful is the Rick Barnes watermelon chant. Sure, it would have been possible to do it without them, but getting them on board with it made it really easy.

There just needs to be planning an interaction between the student leaders and the yell leaders. They need to be aware when the students are planning something so they can either help or step aside (like the PJ Tucker book drive and chanting stupid all game, they were aware that was going to happen and obviously couldn't exactly help, but they didn't interfere.)

But having a small group that students are already used to looking at is much more of an opportunity to create an atmosphere than it is a hindrance to it in my opinion.

Now, if the Rowdies or other students try to work with the yell leaders and they're like 'nah, we're good' then that's a different story.
jeremy
AG
I think the dance team kills the atmosphere more than anything else.

Booooooom! I had the guts to say it.
bobinator
AG
You might be trolling, but I actually agree with this. They need better music or something.
Harry Dunne
mazag08 said:

JayD23 said:

Bucketrunner said:

It sounds worth investigating to me..

Hump it Ags!
BrandoC
AG
So wait, wait, wait. Are you saying you would rather see Corp kids bent over behind each other rather than seeing cheerleaders with skirts on. Also what the hell is crotch shot cheerleaders?
bobinator
AG
The yells being bad for basketball does not necessarily equate to the yell leaders being bad for basketball. They just need some new material (again) and for us to be good long enough for people to remember it.
DeangeloVickers
AG
We don't have a basketball environment.....
Even when we were really good the yell leaders detracted from the environment...shhh....everyone be quiet after that 12-0 run...Farmers Fight yell.....oh no bad call everyone let's call their coach a driver of young children

1950 called and they want their environment back.....

It's 2020.....get rid of the damn yell leaders..they suck....maybe 5-6 students can stop til toking and have fun creating a unique loud fun environment.

swc93
AG
Only thing I saw yesterday the least bit embarrassing were the dorks going shirtless in overalls.
Tobias Funke
AG
swc93 said:

Only thing I saw yesterday the least bit embarrassing were the dorks going shirtless in overalls.

Doing horns down anytime a camera was anywhere near them. I agree that was super cringey
Method Man
^this. Why are these kids doing horns down? Pathetic.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.