Yell Leaders

11,362 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Sandman23
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
College students doing anything has about a 50/50 chance of being cringey if we're being honest.
dlbarnes76
AG
Good to see the discussion going on here. It's obvious the atmosphere at Reed is not that great. Yes, winning definitely helps. It is hard for me to believe that so few students come to the games and I would hesitate to make any changes such as giving them sections on the sideline not knowing if they will show up. It's obvious that Buzz will build a competitive/winning team, hopefully the powers that be will take more interest in basketball and do some things to promote it and help with the atmosphere.
Biz Ag
AG
mazag08 said:

JayD23 said:

Bucketrunner said:

I'm good with no yell leaders so long as we don't have crotch shot cheerleaders
what is a crotch shot cheerleader? Real question

It sounds worth investigating to me..
Where can I join that committee?
KatyAg88
Yeah, the knuckleheads that say we should even get rid of the yell leaders for football just chose the wrong school to attend. They probably couldn't get into tu like their parents did. A&M is getting watered down with people like these and do not care about the traditions that make Aggieland unique.
It is like the libs from California and NY moving to Texas because of low property costs and taxes and then voting democrat.
One thing that definitely needs to go is the dj at football games.
Proposition Joe
YEAH! POLITICS! YOU TELL 'EM KATYAG88!
Aston04
AG
bobinator said:

The dance team definitely stops momentum right before tip off. I've always hated that.
They should be the cheer team leading cheers... It's time to move on from holding on to the idea of not having cheerleaders... So dumb. Make the dance team cheerleaders and actually interact with the audience.

Send the yell leaders packing or really limit their role.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Less complaining, more crotch shot cheerleaders.
Know Your Enemy
AG
KatyAg88 said:

Yeah, the knuckleheads that say we should even get rid of the yell leaders for football just chose the wrong school to attend. They probably couldn't get into tu like their parents did. A&M is getting watered down with people like these and do not care about the traditions that make Aggieland unique.
It is like the libs from California and NY moving to Texas because of low property costs and taxes and then voting democrat.
One thing that definitely needs to go is the dj at football games.
Is it bad that I cannot tell if this is a serious post or a joke? Ah, TexAgs.
jeremy
AG
I'm well aware of media time outs. I don't think it's unrealistic to keep some momentum through a timeout during an intense run in the game.
Sgt. Schultz
AG
YL, the yells, and the whole choreographed "AAAAAAA" thing needs to stop. Just make noise, whatever it may be.
mazag08
AG
bobinator said:

College students doing anything has about a 50/50 chance of being cringey if we're being honest.

I was more making fun of you, and myself, for how dumb we looked back then. I wasn't a Rowdy. But seeing you guys decked out in arm bands made me think that's what you had to do as a basketball fan.
mazag08
AG
Junkhead said:

Less complaining, more crotch shot cheerleaders.

We should have crotch shot cheerleaders in charge of schedule release date. I bet they have great no jumpers.
aggietony2010
AG
A thought that occurred to me during tonight's game, we don't use the Spirit of Aggieland enough. We treat it like some sacred hymn that can only be sung once, pre-game, lest the gods be angered by our sacrilege.

It would be perfect for a TV timeout. It's long enough to take up most of the duration, and ends with a nice long yell that gets everyone engaged. Heck, we could even make a shortened version that just leads into the yell.

Tonight's under 4 timeout would have been a great spot for it. Have it lead into something over the loudspeaker that gets the students going.
mavsfan4ever
AG
TalK About a buzz kill that would immediately suck the life out of the arena. Can't imagine the crowd being pumped after a run and then we immediately go into spirit of aggieland. Just play an energetic song and hope that the crowd keeps the party going for the duration of the timeout.

The arena can definitely do more things to keep the crowd involved. But it's also on the crowd too. I've never been to an arena where the crowd immediately dies down during timeouts like it does at Reed. It's really weird. Maybe party of it is that the fans are so conditioned to having hell leaders tell them when to make noise at football games and they don't know what to do when they aren't being instructed?

Even high school and nba games have a much better atmosphere during timeouts, which is weird bc you'd think that a student section should make the atmosphere better overall and that alumni would generally be more into the game than fans at high school and nba games.
GrayMatter
AG
Philip J Fry said:

We've been saying this for literally a decade or more. Yell leaders don't belong on basketball and it's beyond me why the admin doesn't see that after all these years.
They're there to support the team and they do serve a purpose whenever no one shows up to see a game. If they weren't there, it would dead silent in the arena. You can't have it both ways.
bobinator
AG
Yeah I got that, I was more alluding to that combined with the overalls guys that people were whining about.

I think that's actually a big issue though because we used to consider everyone a Rowdy. Like if you go to games, you're a rowdy. We used to just dress ridiculously because it was fun (though admittedly awful in retrospect) and maybe it would encourage other people to do weird stuff.

To me that's the job the Rowdies officers is help spread the traditions and get more students involved. Admittedly we spent too much time trying to entertain ourselves in the old days also instead of doing outreach, but we tried to do pregame tailgates and stuff to help encourage other folks to get there early and things like that.

I've only seen them outside the arena for one game this year.
rwtxag83
AG
No.

We don't need cheerleaders. When our program is winning enough to keep good crowds in the stands, our atmosphere is as good as anywhere in the country. The Yell Leaders do a great job.

If you want the atmosphere to improve, try starting with getting your own butt to the games. How anyone can complain about the atmosphere and in the same sentence say they aren't even there is ridiculous.
Greater love hath no man than this....
bobinator
AG
One idea we had in the old days was to use the 'saw varsity's horns off' as our version of 'Rock, Chalk, Jayhawk' or 'Go Big Blue.' Not the whole war hymn, but just repeating that part.

Like once a game is in hand, fans start swaying and singing it. Would look cool and sound cool and would become like a trademark when we win games and everybody already knows how to do it.

Downside is obviously the lyrics are about one specific team.

But we need some ideas that are unique to A&M or that are plays off of other things we already do.
mavsfan4ever
AG
rwtxag83 said:

When our program is winning enough to keep good crowds in the stands, our atmosphere is as good as anywhere in the country.

Disagree. Our football atmosphere is great. Our basketball atmosphere, even when winning, not so much. Obviously the basketball atmosphere is much better when winning than when not winning. But even then, I wouldn't call it great.
aggietony2010
AG
bobinator said:

One idea we had in the old days was to use the 'saw varsity's horns off' as our version of 'Rock, Chalk, Jayhawk' or 'Go Big Blue.' Not the whole war hymn, but just repeating that part.

Like once a game is in hand, fans start swaying and singing it. Would look cool and sound cool and would become like a trademark when we win games and everybody already knows how to do it.

But we need some ideas that are unique to A&M or that are plays off of other things we already do.

Yeah, singing the whole spirit might be a bit much, but doing the yell from the end I think would be good. If there's any chance of anything catching on, it has to be built from something familiar. We need something in that "go big blue"/"rock chalk" category. We need some coordination between what we have too. I thought the yell leaders did a decent job of getting in a BTHO kentucky at the under 4, but it took a minute to get going.

They should just have it be automatic. Any time we force a timeout with a big play/run, it should lead into a couple BTHOs as the DJ gets something going that the students can jump around to. It's just depressing how fast a timeout sucks the life out of the arena.
dragmagpuff
AG
I was a student through the 4 Turgeon years, and in grad school for the first 2 Kennedy years. When we were making the tournament and playing NCAA tournament level basketball, students would be lining up at least an hour before the game to get the best seats. As Freshman in 2008, we had to deal with a ticket lottery system just to guarantee seats for the big games. Also, the good game atmosphere carried over from the BCG era. It also helped that we were 4-8 in football that year, so we were hungry for a winner. I'm not going to say the atmosphere was perfect, but the lower bowl of the student section would fill up pretty consistently, and it would be standing room only for the big games. The yell leaders weren't really a pro or a con then. The dance team performing and killing the hype was the worst part at the time.

I still remember the first Kennedy year: The students showed up as usual and then quickly stopped going as we realized the team was abysmal. Even I, a person who used to camp out overnight for multiple games per year and went to away games, stopped going or watching on TV. Kennedy ripped all the goodwill out of a fragile program that BCG built and Turgeon maintained somewhat. Basketball games stopped being fun. Even when we lost under Turgeon, the games were still fun most of the time.

By the time 2016 came around, and we were good again, there weren't any undergrad students left from the 2011-2012 season. No one cared about basketball any more or even thought to care.

Basketball atmosphere is so hard to create because it's a feedback loop. If you don't have a critical mass of students, games are boring. We lost the critical mass, and it will take at least 1 NCAA tournament level season to get that back, if ever.

gig them
AG
With only a couple of exceptions, College Basketball support in the South is really pretty simple. A good team will draw well as long as they're good, and not a moment later. There's shockingly little goodwill.

That used to bother me, but I learned to accept it.
Agzonfire
You really can't understand how millions of Aggies live more than an hour or two away for CS? Get a grip
greg.w.h
AG
Agzonfire said:

You really can't understand how millions of Aggies live more than an hour or two away for CS? Get a grip
The Association of Former Students claims around a half million former students. So how many t-shirt fans do you think are adding to those numbers???
Isaih Smollett
Quote:

When we were making the tournament and playing NCAA tournament level basketball, students would be lining up at least an hour before the game to get the best seats.

And businesses buying into the hype. Tons of free cinnamon roll coupons, free freebirds, free pizza hut, etc
mavsfan4ever
AG
aggietony2010 said:

bobinator said:

Yeah, singing the whole spirit might be a bit much, but doing the yell from the end I think would be good. If there's any chance of anything catching on, it has to be built from something familiar. We need something in that "go big blue"/"rock chalk" category. We need some coordination between what we have too. I thought the yell leaders did a decent job of getting in a BTHO kentucky at the under 4, but it took a minute to get going.

They should just have it be automatic. Any time we force a timeout with a big play/run, it should lead into a couple BTHOs as the DJ gets something going that the students can jump around to. It's just depressing how fast a timeout sucks the life out of the arena.
Completely agree with this.
dragmagpuff
AG
machine20 said:

Quote:

When we were making the tournament and playing NCAA tournament level basketball, students would be lining up at least an hour before the game to get the best seats.

And businesses buying into the hype. Tons of free cinnamon roll coupons, free freebirds, free pizza hut, etc
Heck, the players would hang out with us and coaches would bring us pizza.
mazag08
AG
Did somebody say DJ?

What's Soulja Boy up to these days?
bobinator
AG
Since we're criticizing them for not trying anything new, it did look like they moved the DJ to the other end of the arena for this game, putting him near the core of the student section, that was a good idea.
TXAGMOM22
The Aggie DANCE Team are not CHEERLEADERS, they are DANCERS. Actually the Dance team do have to adhere to strict rules.
Aston04
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

aggietony2010 said:

bobinator said:

Completely agree with this.
Agree-100%.... T-E-X-A-S A-G-G-I-E... etc. and just end at "Gig'em Aggies 1-2-3" (or finish off the end if you want)"... Keep it loud and crisp... That would make for good atmosphere during a timeout...

We need more ideas like that.
greg.w.h
AG
TXAGMOM22 said:

The Aggie DANCE Team are not CHEERLEADERS, they are DANCERS. Actually the Dance team do have to adhere to strict rules.
So is carrying the flags into Kyle street, ballet, hip hop, or jazz??
aggietony2010
AG
TXAGMOM22 said:

If these are self-imposed rules, they need to find a new venue to perform.

If they're from some higher authority that is trying to keep them in their "place" at Reed, then I'm right there with you in letting them do more than just dance. There's a lot of energy and talent on the ADT that could be used to both boost their profile and the atmosphere at Reed.
greg.w.h
AG
If they're in the corners of the court waving poms, which kind of dance is that???

My broader point is not that they aren't dancers. But that they serve a cheering-style purpose not dissimilar to pro team cheerleaders.
Bunk Moreland
greg.w.h said:

If they're in the corners of the court waving poms, which kind of dance is that???

My broader point is not that they aren't dancers. But that they serve a cheering-style purpose not dissimilar to pro team cheerleaders.

lol wut? They absolutely are dancers. The sentence after that is correct though...Here's how it's usually deciphered:

Indoor sport = they tend to do more dancing in their routines, so they are called dancers.
Outdoor=sport tends to do more cheering routines so they're called cheerleaders.

But you have to be a good dancer to make the ADT.

Also, the ADT doesn't kill the momentum during the timeout on the floor. The timeout on the floor kills the momentum.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.