Texas A&M vs Texas - Fort Worth, December 8th

12,660 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by brandontyler
TXAggie2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
1) Don't be an ass. 2) Logan Lee today is the first source I've seen stating they're opening the arena in 2020.

https://texassports.com/news/2018/12/19/mens-basketball-world-class-ut-basketball-arena-will-host-longhorns-benefit-austin-community.aspx

https://news.utexas.edu/2018/12/20/world-class-ut-basketball-arena-will-host-longhorns-benefit-austin-community/

The original reports were all 2021 and I hadn't seen anything different.

I'm not going to say Logan is wrong, but I'd love to hear 2020 from a source better positioned to actually know.
fightinags2013
AG
Just hope the tickets aren't as BSC priced as some of those games at Toyota Center & the AAC were back in the day. Not getting my hopes up.
AgGrad99
AG
https://dickiesarena.com/event/lone-star-showdown/

Quote:

Quote:
December 8, 2019 2 p.m.
Price Range: $25-$200, $15 kids ticket
The Texas A&M University Aggies and the University of Texas Longhorns men's basketball programs are set to renew their in-state rivalry at Dickies Arena on Sunday, Dec. 8. Tipoff and television broadcast information will be announced at a later date.

Tickets will go on sale at a later date at Ticketmaster.com.
Seven Costanza
AG
Just play two games every year (one home, one away).
ghostofthebanned
tuck fexas
wacarnolds
AG
Seven Costanza said:

That's too easy and serves too many people.
Know Your Enemy
AG
wacarnolds said:

Seven Costanza said:

We don't even play all SEC teams twice each season.
wacarnolds
AG
Junkhead said:

wacarnolds said:

Seven Costanza said:

And?
expresswrittenconsent
Why stop at twice, then? 5 times and the prior season winner gets the 3rd home game.
amercer
AG
That's kind of up to the SEC.

Out of conference we can do whatever we like.
Method Man
TJ Starks coming out party
Seven Costanza
AG
Junkhead said:

wacarnolds said:

Seven Costanza said:

Why does that matter?
SECTAMU#1
My wife and I will be going. Great venue as well at the new Dickie's Arena in Fort Worth!
DFWag84
only 14k seats what a disaster
ironmanag
AG
Can't believe how many people are so ready to climb back in bed with the crazy abusive ex that we literally had to get a court order to get away from.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
JJxvi
AG
Its a game
expresswrittenconsent
JJxvi said:

Its a game

Yeah but now the governor is trying to force a football game so the '1 issue voters' are coming out.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Would love it if we played both Texas and Baylor in non-con every year. Good for NCAA resume. Good for season ticket holders.

Seems best if home-and-home series though. Not this neutral court stuff.

Flip a coin to randomly determine who gets the home game first if you can't agree.

Basketball isn't football. The 'Don't play horns' politics doesn't make much sense with hoops.
Ag CPA
AG
SMidgett87 said:

Not happy about it being at a neutral site. Play 1 in Aggieland and 1 in Austin. Reward the season ticket holders and the students! Of course, the sips didn't want us to have the first home game in the agreement...

Deserving students? Neither schools' students support their basketball program, it's probably one of the reasons a neutral site game was agreeable. I'm also assuming this is going to be a one-off game that's only happening because FW is throwing out some incentives to showcase the new arena before the NCAA Tournament comes to town.
Chuck Gay
AG
Ag CPA said:

SMidgett87 said:

Not happy about it being at a neutral site. Play 1 in Aggieland and 1 in Austin. Reward the season ticket holders and the students! Of course, the sips didn't want us to have the first home game in the agreement...

Deserving students? Neither schools' students support their basketball program, it's probably one of the reasons a neutral site game was agreeable. I'm also assuming this is going to be a one-off game that's only happening because FW is throwing out some incentives to showcase the new arena before the NCAA Tournament comes to town.
So, neither schools wants to invest and give their students a new reason to give non-conference basketball a try?
greg.w.h
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Would love it if we played both Texas and Baylor in non-con every year. Good for NCAA resume. Good for season ticket holders.

Seems best if home-and-home series though. Not this neutral court stuff.

Flip a coin to randomly determine who gets the home game first if you can't agree.

Basketball isn't football. The 'Don't play horns' politics doesn't make much sense with hoops.

They canceled all games not just football. That led to a cancellation of the Lone Star Showdown as well which could have been a good way to prove it wasn't vengeful.

The insistence of having the first home game is further proof of their behavior. Why schedule them ever? Why bother? Why validate them or the Aggies that accepted an inferior sports program because we occasionally beat them? I can't think of a single reason other than cash to continue interacting with them and instead to focus on building a nationally recognized program in every sport that plays everyone else. When the former conference mates are more accommodating and less like they used to be and treat us as true peers then you have the basis for starting again.

That's not dissing Buzz for working on this. I like the single game supporting the City of Fort Worth which I consider my hometown. That's cool. I don't mind us testing things out in truly neutral sites. I understand it annoys the season ticket holders and I acknowledge the frustration. But it creates political pressure on our side to appease Texas when we fuss at our leaders about restarting. That's terrible.
Pumpkinhead
AG
"single reason other than cash "

That is often the primary motivator for anything that happens in this world. If something can help the bottom line, then the money takes the driver's seat.
greg.w.h
AG
Big money no whammies. Or don't bother.
Pumpkinhead
AG
greg.w.h said:

Big money no whammies. Or don't bother.

Also the 'Why validate them?' question becomes a lot less relevant when they are playing other SEC teams (and we are playing other Big 12 teams) every season anyways. There is a Big 12/SEC Challenge in basketball every season for Pete's sake. The SEC and Big 12 are already intimately involved with each other in hoops, so saying an A&M vs tu matchup is okay out of the dozen plus SEC vs Big 12 games played anyways in hoops every year isn't that big a leap.

That is part of why I said the 'dont Play horns' politics doesn't make much sense in hoops.
greg.w.h
AG
And I argued back why playing them in an intentional, direct arrangement on a continuing basis should only be done when it's in our interests not theirs.
JJxvi
AG
What more interest for either side could possibly exist other than "scheduling a basketball game that people would like to watch"

The idea that one side is going to "gain something" at the expense of the other from a non conference basketball game is just BS posturing
ironmanag
AG
JJxvi said:

What more interest for either side could possibly exist other than "scheduling a basketball game that people would like to watch"

The idea that one side is going to "gain something" at the expense of the other from a non conference basketball game is just BS posturing

You let them in and they will take everything they can. It's what they do.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
JJxvi
AG
Sounds serious!
greg.w.h
AG
I'm not posturing. I have no say in anything. And if it were BS it is Dodds and the other school that produced it. Excepts it's SS. Done been neutered.
AgEfan
Interesting site location.
claym711
AG
Do not want. Would rather see a Baylor game. Who gives a **** about playing Texas anymore.
BoozingAg
Junkhead said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Everything I've ever read states the new arena will open in 2021, not 2020. Maybe I missed something new.
You should read this site called TexAgs. They have all kinds of information on there.

Aggies, Longhorns to renew basketball rivalry on December 8 in Fort Worth

Quote:

The original idea was a home-and-home contract with the Aggies hosting the 2019 game at Reed Arena followed by a 2020 game in Austin to open the Longhorns' new facility. However, decision-makers in Austin didn't want A&M to get the first home game, and that proposal wasn't approved.

They didn't want to potentially lose the opening game in their new gym to the Texas Aggies.

Their excuse about us not having the first home game is a lot of bs.
DukeMu
Rongagin71 said:

miller0926 said:

Gap said:

So not home and home but at a neutral site that Texas expects to have a ton of fans at due to the Big 12 championship. Did we get duped? This game could have been any day during the non-conference months and it just happens to be this one.

We did. And we HAVE to play a road or neutral game the next weekend because of graduations at Reed.
Let me guess, the refs doing the Big12 playoffs will also do our game?
Wonder if the sips already have a favorite ref picked out?

They do. And the NCAA already as OK and the whorns as the only pre-season ranked BDF darlings.

They will find a way for Texas to be in the B12 Championship game.

miller0926
AG
Just ordered my 3 tickets. All TMF donors check your inbox. They are $80 each in A&M's block and going by priority points! I'm happy they did it this way.
Tobias Funke
AG
$80 each? Sheesh
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.