Coaching Changes

38,927 Views | 234 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mikesyracuse1
greg.w.h
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rook with single post at the time, too. I absolutely adore the mentality that says we are so special only we can get us..........NOT.

Woodward was hired to protect Young from athletics. He is a firewall. And if the hire is Buzz or someone of Buzz's caliber (or better) then Young will be well served by Woodward as will all of us. If we turn basketball into a program that can support a $4-5 million HC salary we have turned the corner on basketball.
LawHall88
AG
TXAggie2011
AG
LawHall88 said:

Guy had a heck of a career. Finally got himself that elusive NCAA tourney win this year, albeit in the first four.

I wonder if Belmont will just hire Lipscomb coach (and former Belmont player and assistant coach) Casey Alexander to come down the street and take over.
Olsen
AG
UCLA is offering Calipari 6-years, $48 million deal and Kentucky made a rebuttal to that by offering him a lifetime contract extension.
mikesyracuse1
Good Aggie Hunting said:

UCLA is offering Calipari 6-years, $48 million deal and Kentucky made a rebuttal to that by offering him a lifetime contract extension.

Here's a link to this story. UCLA administrating is ridiculous. Calipari already makes more than they offered.

https://www.thescore.com/ncaab/news/1748077
Positive Yardage
AG
I would have expected UCLA to make a run at Musselman (and they may yet), but I'm glad we aren't in that mess. Pretty savvy of Barnhart to let UCLA show its cards so he knew what he might need to answer with.
Tango_Mike
mikesyracuse1 said:

Good Aggie Hunting said:

Here's a link to this story. UCLA administrating is ridiculous. Calipari already makes more than they offered.

Step up in prestige? Nope
Step up in salary? Nope
Step up in quality of life? Debatable, I'm not a California-loving guy
Step up in rational people? Nope

Sounds like a done deal. Way to go UCLA!
HoustonAg2106
AG
Tango_Mike said:

mikesyracuse1 said:

Good Aggie Hunting said:

Step up in prestige? Nope
Step up in salary? Nope
Step up in quality of life? Debatable, I'm not a California-loving guy
Step up in rational people? Nope

Sounds like a done deal. Way to go UCLA!

Living in California is better if you're a multi millionaire
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Lexington is actually a nice town.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

So is Malibu
JJxvi
AG
Im bored
TXAggie2011
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

Maybe. Something tells me most people would choose Los Angeles but that's just a hunch. And it really only matters what Calipari thinks.

I'm pretty skeptical its a "lifetime contract" absent a bunch of other complicated bits but maybe the UK Athletic Association has lost its damn mind.
LawHall88
AG
greg.w.h
AG
LawHall88 said:

...one way or t'other...
LawHall88
AG
. . .
Quote:

Deal is NOT done with Stackhouse, but he is a leading candidate, source told @Stadium.
halfastros81
AG
Wrong ... although not denying it would be a great hire. No better than Buzz.

Beard could get a blue blood job really soon. Buzz could too but he appears to like the idea of this one and i'm All for it!

If i'm Tech i'm Raising a war chest . They have decent history - 3 more all time tournament appearances than A & M . Try like mad to keep the guy and if you can't you have the $ to hire a top flight replacement. It's not like Tech doesn't have resources.
halfastros81
AG
Musselman would be a good hire for them imo. I haven't seen TCU , is Dixon any good?
superunknown
AG
Stack has been moving up the ranks...AAU connections, G-League coaching (Vandy's new AD came from G-League) and as an NBA assistant. This is an intriguing hire.
LawHall88
AG
halfastros81 said:

Musselman would be a good hire for them imo. I haven't seen TCU , is Dixon any good?
He is good. He is also a TCU alum, so there would be a great deal of unhappiness in Fort Worth were he to leave.
TxAg76
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Coaching Changes

A&M - Billy Kennedy BUZZ WILLIAMS

Serious Lee

this coming from the guy that was so adamant that A&M WAS NOT a better job than FSU (football) last year
bobinator
AG
Who would be the call for TCU?
WGann3
AG
bobinator said:

Go get Scott Cross and let him pull a UNLV/Beard?
bobinator
AG
Maybe Mike Anderson?
WGann3
AG
bobinator said:

Maybe Mike Anderson?
If he brings Melvin with him we need to get them on the OOC schedule ASAP.
Positive Yardage
AG
bobinator said:

That's an excellent question. If you don't make a run at Cross I half wonder if they wouldn't just go get McCasland from North Texas. He took an 8-win team and has won 20+ games each of the last two seasons. Led Arkansas State to 20 wins before, and has Big 12 background at Baylor and has Texas recruiting ties through small college experience.

And would likely come on the cheap and have a shot to keep current players and recruiting class together. Not a name I have seen mentioned, but if I were an AD might make sense.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, that's not a bad idea. TCU has a hard path to success without Dixon. With an unproven coach they're probably what, the sixth best option in-state?
Pumpkinhead
AG
Looks like Dixon will be the next UCLA head coach, assuming they can work out paying his buyout from TCU.
Quote:

Jamie Dixon is on the verge of leaving his alma mater to come home.
In a dramatic plot twist for the son of a screenwriter who grew up in North Hollywood, Dixon would make a triumphant return to Southern California as UCLA's next basketball coach if he and the school can find a way to satisfy the terms of his buyout at Texas Christian, according to multiple people close to the situation.

Dixon was in negotiations with the school to reduce his $8-million buyout to a substantially lower figure, one person said. Barring that, UCLA and Dixon would have to find a way to pay the full amount.

Terms of Dixon's proposed UCLA contract were not immediately known.

Dixon has agreed in principle to leave the Horned Frogs in hopes of reviving the sagging fortunes of a program that has not been to a Final Four in more than a decade or won a national championship in nearly a quarter of a century.
https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/la-sp-jamie-dixon-ucla-basketball-coach-hired-20190403-story.html
wacarnolds
AG
Nice grab for UCLA. The last former Pitt coach they hired worked out pretty well for them.
bobinator
AG
If I were TCU I'd make sure I get every cent of that buyout.
Tango_Mike
bobinator said:

If I were TCU I'd make sure I get every cent of that buyout.
Yeah I'm not sure what motive TCU would have for accepting a lower buyout
Pumpkinhead
AG
Coaching changes site hammering on UCLA

AggieOO
bad look for TCU as well. Easy for recruiting battles to refer to Dixon having one foot out the door as soon as his buyout is lower...
Steeple
8 Million? That would just take admitting 20 kids from celebrity families and they are done!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.