Evaluation

6,972 Views | 111 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Double Diamond
_lefraud_
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I bet you thought Slocum was setup for long term success after the '98 season too, right?
GE
AG
free_mhayden said:

Wow. So college basketball coaches shouldn't be judged until Year 5?
Nobody said that and nobody thinks that. After year three based on the available evidence at that time a change should have been made.
GE
AG
_lefraud_ said:

I bet you thought Slocum was setup for long term success after the '98 season too, right?
Considering I was 12 years old and hated the Aggies, I was indifferent.
Double Diamond
Guess will see. I still don't see the trajectory moving forward. I still see a lot lacking despite these sweet 16s. I mean the team is still allowed to be lazy, doesn't do any number of key things well. Despite players coming and going these things never change. I think we've seen Kennedy needs a maximum roster to make an impact. Any sign of trouble and things have run off the road. The amount of bizarre in game adjustments or lack of is still too high. UNC is the highlight of Kennedy's time here. It worked because there never became a situation were Kennedy had to do anything. Credit for preparing the team and getting them to execute at a great level. I wonder why this doesn't happen more.

Kennedy is what he is. An average coach, my eyes and and the overall record shows this. Hopefully either recruiting picks up or Kennedy sees its time.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Double Diamond said:

Guess will see. I still don't see the trajectory moving forward.
The short-term trajectory moving forward isn't that hard to figure out.

If Davis/Hogg/Gilder all return, and he picks up say one solid grad transfer, then he will have a roster with 4 returning starters (including 3 seniors) from an NCAA Sweet Sixteen team. Barring major injuries and knucklehead incidents (always a significant random variable), pretty decent chance Texas A&M will be in the NCAA tournament next season. Yes, probably some inexcusable losses and some 5 game losing streak that will cause everyone to wonder (yet again) whether the end is finally near, but decent chance would pull out enough wins out to make the NCAA. And my guess would be ranked Top-25 AP pre-season going into this Fall.

And Davis/Hogg/Gilder all returning would buy him more time to afford that poor 2018 recruiting cycle. Having a really good 2019 recruiting class though would now be absolutely critical to keeping the ship afloat after next season.

If Davis and Hogg both bolt over the next month (particularly Davis) then we look a lot less like a possible NCAA team next year. And would make the recruiting misses in 2018 more significant and damaging.
Double Diamond
All hinges on the next few years. But something is up with anything after. Not sure if it's back to they can't ovetcome negative recruiting or what.
GE
AG
Double Diamond said:

All hinges on the next few years. But something is up with anything after. Not sure if it's back to they can't ovetcome negative recruiting or what.
I'd put it even more directly. All hinges on the ability to attract a quality power forward and center for 2019.
Double Diamond
100% effort is such a key for me. Why this thing goes around like a bipolar situation is frustrating. And a knock on Kennedy, he simply doesn't get it enough. I ask why.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.