Evaluation

6,991 Views | 111 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Double Diamond
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is the only case people can come up with and even then that Tennessee team was in the play-in game after back-to-back NIT seasons.
JJxvi
AG
Cuonzo Martin's tenure at Tennessee wasn't as good as Kennedy's last three years, even if you accept the logical leap that Tennessee actually would have fired him.

They were an 11 seed barely making the good side of the bubble, not a 7. They beat 13 seed Mercer and not a team like defending champs UNC to make the sweet sixteen. Martin's last season at UT was not as good as Kennedy's 2017-18. He also didn't have a second sweet sixteen appearance as a 3 seed two years prior. The whole reason people were upset is because he hadn't made the dance at all in his first two years after Pearl making it every year. If he went to the sweet sixteen as a 3 seed in his first year, people would have absolutely wrote the second year off as a rebuilding year between two sweet sixteen years and he wouldn't have been under pressure at all.
TXAggie2011
AG
The Tennessee fanbase's "passion" might seem admirable, but I'm not sure they're the model I necessarily want Texas A&M to follow.
Method Man
They've been way more successful than us. Atrocious fans though.
Double Diamond
So here we are waiting for a bottom out or praying the recruiting that's not happening picks up.
TXAggie2011
AG
I have nothing against Jeremy Pruitt but gosh I hope he fails there so bad.
bobinator
AG
Double Diamond said:

So here we are waiting for a bottom out or praying the recruiting that's not happening picks up.
Exactly!
wacarnolds
AG
Double Diamond said:

We're almost at the point where a new contract negotiation will be required before either of those have a chance to happen. He only has 3 yrs left on his contract, so next year he'll be trying to convince 2019 recruits to commit even though he only has a contract through their sophomore year. And 2020 kids even though he only has a contract through their freshmen year.

Hopefully a little more discernment is used this time around.
Double Diamond
Contract extension and more protection. And on and on it goes. That's why things need to be evaluated as a whole not a prisoner of the moment.
cedar
I've given up on Kennedy ever being fired. He's conned the people he needed to and I don't see him going anywhere. He's a bad coach. Not a mediocre coach a bad coach. He was a terrible hire and should have resigned after his medical situation became known. He's lied to and used people to keep his job. Based on the present situation I didn't see him ever leaving.
Mikeyshooter
AG
Quote:

He only has 3 yrs left on his contract, so next year he'll be trying to convince 2019 recruits to commit even though he only has a contract through their sophomore year. And 2020 kids even though he only has a contract through their freshmen year.
And add the horrible disease to the situation that will continue to erode his coaching abilities and it becomes impossible to recruit on an even playing field. The only way this ends well is if he decides on his own to step down (maybe after Tyler and Admon's last season). Its a terribly sad situation but its a reality that has to be dealt with by the AD.
txag72
AG
Everyone had been looking at this year as The Year ever since the trio got on campus. Then add Williams. The Year ended up being anti-climactic. All but Gilder figured to be going pro of the original 3. How the year played out wasn't envisioned by anyone. At this moment its like looking into the black hole of basketball.

We're all used to a 3 year script being played out, but then a suprise ending. This year was a rller coaster, an ok year but not The Year.

3 years ago if someone told you Gilder Hogg Davis would be here in 2018/2019 we'd be elated and excited for next year. According to this thread that prospect is anything but exciting.

Why?
_lefraud_
AG
txag72 said:

Everyone had been looking at this year as The Year ever since the trio got on campus. Then add Williams. The Year ended up being anti-climactic. All but Gilder figured to be going pro of the original 3. How the year played out wasn't envisioned by anyone. At this moment its like looking into the black hole of basketball.

We're all used to a 3 year script being played out, but then a suprise ending. This year was a rller coaster, an ok year but not The Year.

3 years ago if someone told you Gilder Hogg Davis would be here in 2018/2019 we'd be elated and excited for next year. According to this thread that prospect is anything but exciting.

Why?

Not real sure what you were trying to say with the first two parts, but to answer your last question...

After 7 years of data, it's likely that he won't get the most out of his team, relative to their potential.

Davis has been a stud, and deserves a stud coach, Gilder has been solid, and deserves a solid coach. Hogg has been disappointing, so Kennedy is probably the right coach for him.
Method Man
Harsh but I tend to agree
txag72
AG
I guess my point is that theres no excitement because this was supposed to be the year and no one can get their head around "what now"?
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
I have resigned myself to the fate that for the next decade will will be mediocre in basketball.

Kennedy is not going anywhere until his contract is over. Then it will take 3-4 years after that for the new coach to build the program back up.(If the AD makes a good hire).

I wish I was not such a pessimist.(or is that realist?)

Pumpkinhead
AG
He is still employed today primarily because he won two Sweet Sixteens the past three years. End of story.

There was plenty of legit smoke that he would have gotten fired at the end of Year 5 had they missed the tournament. And there was plenty of legit smoke this season that he would have gotten fired had this team missed the tournament. Several national media types talked about that just a couple of weeks ago, citing 'industry sources' that the A&M job was one people were keeping an eye on as coming open had the Aggies missed the tournament (and maybe even had they lost to Providence).

So if you want Kennedy fired, then simply root for the Aggies to suck next year and miss the tournament. Get down on your knees and pray for a really bad team (which means root for inexplicable transfers this season, Tyler Davis to not come back, etc.). The more bad news the better your chances of Kennedy getting whacked.

Cause if the guy keeps making the NCAA tournament, and even worse, making the Sweet Sixteen when he makes the NCAA...then yeah he isn't going anywhere.
mhayden
Sunshine Pumperhead is back!
Chuck Gay
AG

Quote:

He is still employed today primarily because he made 2 Sweet Sixteens the past 3 years. End of story.
Has any other Aggie basketball coach ever accomplished that?
Pumpkinhead
AG
free_mhayden said:

Sunshine Pumperhead is back!
Kennedy has been an inconsistent coach, but one who has managed to knock out some Sweet Sixteens at just the right time. I was thinking he was probably goner just about a month ago. But nope. He righted the ship just enough and made it to the next round!
mhayden
I think at this point we pretty much know Kennedy's ceiling.

With a senior-laden squad he got blown out in the Sweet 16.

With arguably one of the most talented squads in Aggie Basketball history, he got super-duper blown out in the Sweet 16.
Pumpkinhead
AG
free_mhayden said:

With arguably one of the most talented squads in Aggie Basketball history, he got super-duper blown out in the Sweet 16.
Another blow out in a Sweet Sixteen next season would probably get him another big fat contract extension. Sweet Sixteen blow outs are not going to move the needle. If you want a change...then you can't afford any more NCAA bids. NCAA bids obviously typically help a hoops college coach stay employed.
mhayden
Yeah, I definitely liked the conference-play Pumpkinhead more.
_lefraud_
AG
Chuck Gay said:

Quote:

He is still employed today primarily because he made 2 Sweet Sixteens the past 3 years. End of story.

Get so tired of seeing this.

Gillespie - 3 NCAA wins in 3 years (3 postseasons)
Turgeon - 3 NCAA wins in 4 years (4 postseasons)
Kennedy - 4 NCAA wins in 7 years (3 postseasons)

Schools came after Gillespie. Schools came after Turgeon. No school is coming after Kennedy, why is that?

Question for the entire board. Can A&M basketball do better than Billy Kennedy? For everyone that can honestly answer that question, why doesn't A&M make a change?
_lefraud_
AG
free_mhayden said:

Unfortunately, I can only give this one star. But unlimited edits!
Pumpkinhead
AG
free_mhayden said:

Did I not cut to the bottom line? He is staying employed primarily because of the two recent NCAA appearances. If he consistently starts missing the NCAA tournament again (like his first 4 seasons), then a change will probably occur. So anyone hoping for a coaching change, you have to hope next season is not another NCAA bid.

Maybe it will, maybe it won't. Who knows, depending on how the roster actual ends up and what has seemed to be a very roller coaster style in even his better teams. But if he does make the NCAA tournament next year, that probably means another contract extension.
GE
AG
free_mhayden said:

You know as well as anyone that sweet 16 doesn't arbitrarily make a ceiling. What if we had gotten Loyola Chicago or Kansas State?
Jumbo Fister
AG
GE said:

You know as well as anyone that sweet 16 doesn't arbitrarily make a ceiling. What if we had gotten Loyola Chicago or Kansas State?

"What if we just never have to play good teams?"
mhayden
GE said:

free_mhayden said:

His career spans 20 years.

We've seen him with a senior-laden team. We've seen him with a mega-talented team.

Do I know without a doubt what his ceiling is? No. Nor do I know Melvin Watkins' ceiling had he continued as head coach.

But at a certain point the data paints a pretty clear picture.
mhayden
Pumpkinhead said:

free_mhayden said:

Did I not cut to the bottom line? He is staying employed primarily because of the two recent NCAA appearances. If he consistently starts missing the NCAA tournament again (like his first 4 seasons), then a change will probably occur. So anyone hoping for a coaching change, you have to hope next season is not another NCAA bid.

Maybe it will, maybe it won't. Who knows, depending on how the roster actual ends up and what has seemed to be a very roller coaster style in even his better teams. But if he does make the NCAA tournament next year, that probably means another contract extension.

You've been cutting the bottom line for 7 years with comments like "no sense in really discussing it, if he doesn't succeed next year he'll be gone".

It doesn't mean you are wrong (although in the case of the above quote, you were... two years in a row I believe), but it's the equivalent of telling people not to discuss things on a discussion forum because they aren't going to change the eventual outcome.

Everyone dies. Nothing really matters.
LawHall88
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Chuck Gay said:

Quote:

Schools came after Gillespie. Schools came after Turgeon. No school is coming after Kennedy, why is that?

Question for the entire board. Can A&M basketball do better than Billy Kennedy? For everyone that can honestly answer that question, why doesn't A&M make a change?
I don't know, Parkinson's? His health situation creates unique issues that you don't normally need to deal with.

Two Sweet 16s in the last three years is more relevant than what happened 7 years ago.

Pumpkin's premise is correct. Nobody get fired with two Sweet 16s in three years. Or prove me wrong and find an example.

And nobody get fired because next year's team might not be as good. Auburn and Tennessee were both picked to be near the bottom of the SEC this past season, how did that work out? Maybe next year's team will surprise you.
Chuck Gay
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Chuck Gay said:

Quote:

So, you chose not to answer the question. Everything you mention is relevant as well, but so is 2 out if 3 years advancing to the Sweet 16. Did Gillispie or Turgeon accomplish that at the basketball schools they went to with the additional resources and prestige that come with those jobs?
GE
AG
T or F: the last three seasons of Aggie basketball are better as a group than any three consecutive seasons either BCG or Turgeon had at any point in their careers?
MB19
AG
GE said:

T or F: the last three seasons of Aggie basketball are better as a group than any three consecutive seasons either BCG or Turgeon had at any point in their careers?
In terms of straight W's & L's? No.
In terms of making the Sweet 16 in the NCAA's? Yes.

This assumes the numbers I saw on Wikipedia were correct.

Method Man
No and that matters a ton because we have always been a strong basketball school with high expectations.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.