Evaluation

7,009 Views | 111 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Double Diamond
Method Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GE said:

T or F: the last three seasons of Aggie basketball are better as a group than any three consecutive seasons either BCG or Turgeon had at any point in their careers?

Why the arbitrary time stamp? True or false? Kennedy has underachieved every year except one and was humiliated once he made the sweet sixteen both times.
True or false? Most of the stud recruits came when we had Keller and Stansbury and now recruiting appears to have fallen off.
Method Man
True or False? Any program that cares about basketball would have fired Kennedy after year theee or four.
LawHall88
AG
Method Man said:

True or False? Any program that cares about basketball would have fired Kennedy after year theee or four.
Leonard Hamilton didn't make the NCAAs until his 7th year at Florida State.
Method Man
Anomaly. Also, They're also a football school that really doesn't care.
GE
AG
Method Man said:

T. 3.
GE
AG
Method Man said:

GE said:

T or F: the last three seasons of Aggie basketball are better as a group than any three consecutive seasons either BCG or Turgeon had at any point in their careers?
Why the arbitrary time stamp? True or false? Kennedy has underachieved every year except one and was humiliated once he made the sweet sixteen both times.
True or false? Most of the stud recruits came when we had Keller and Stansbury and now recruiting appears to have fallen off.
Depends on if you consider Flagg, Chandler, Wilson, Nebo, and Starks stud recruits.
LawHall88
AG
Method Man said:

Anomaly. Also, They're also a football school that really doesn't care.
And Hamilton has made the Sweet 16 twice in 16 years.

So if your point is we are a "football school that really doesn't care," I'm not sure I would argue that point.
Method Man
The fourth year we missed the tourney I checked the teams in the tourney and 85-90% of them hadn't kept a coach who hadn't made the tourney in four years. I know that's not a huge sample size but cherry picking a couple of programs doesn't change much. We don't care enough and we should.
LawHall88
AG
Brad Brownell at Clemson went six years without an NCAA bid before this season. Eight seasons, one Sweet 16.

Method Man
Law,are you managing my expectations? Two sweet sixteens is great. Should have made the tourney last four years. Agreed?
_lefraud_
AG
GE said:

False.

Im not sure how you can even compare the past 3 years to BCGs 3 years at A&M.

Year 1 - 7th place, NIT (2-1)
year 2 - 4th place, NCAA (1-1 losing by 1)
Year 3 - 2nd place, NCAA (2-1 losing by 1)

Year 1 - T1 place, NCAA (2-1 blown out, miracle over double digit seed)
Year 2 - T9 place, no postseason
Year 3 - T7 place, NCAA (2-1 awesome win over UNC, blown out)

And if you want to compare any of BCGs 3 years, he went to 3 straight NCAA tournaments (06-08) and won coach of the year in TWO different P5 leagues in that span with finishes of 4th, 2nd, and 2nd.
LawHall88
AG
Method Man said:

Law,are you managing my expectations? Two sweet sixteens is great. Should have made the tourney last four years. Agreed?
It's not that I think we're doing great. It's that I think the "we are the worst program in the country" narrative some want to push is silly.
Gap
AG
Method Man said:

But we didn't and that looks to have been a prudent decision as we have made the Sweet 16 2 of the past 3 years and that is something never accomplished before in the history of our basketball program.
Method Man
OUR history is trash.
Method Man
Where did I say that? We have a perfectly mediocre coach who has maxed out with other guys' recruits.
Gap
AG
Method Man said:

OUR history is trash.
And we have made the Sweet 16, 2 of the last 3 years.

There was a list floating around here of the programs that have done that with us and it was an impressive group.
GE
AG
Method Man said:

Where did I say that? We have a perfectly mediocre coach who has maxed out with other guys' recruits.
Hate all you want but an assistant coach's recruits are a head coach's recruits. Unless you are talking about Turgeon at A&M where that would be more true but still not true because he didn't come close to maxing out the awesome team Billy left him.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Method Man said:

Could be worst. 12 months ago the assumption was that he couldn't make the NCAA without Rick Stansbury recruits and Stansbury also on the bench during games helping Kennedy coach.

Now that assumption can be simplified to just Kennedy can't make the NCAA without Stansbury recruits.
Method Man
Everyone on Earth thought this team would be very good but BK wouldn't be good enough to maximize their potential. Did you miss that?
SA-AG72
AG
Does Men's BB meet A&M's Six Core Values? Excellence, Integrity, Leadership, Loyalty, Respect, and Selfless Service
AgsNguyen
AG
Aston04 said:

free_mhayden said:

I mean, let's be honest about what our fanbase will settle for -- Kennedy went 0-for-4 in NCAA Tournament appearances and when he finally got one in his 5th year, TexAgs wrote the equivalent of a "How do you like me now?" piece.
This.

That article is the biggest piece of crap I've ever read. Id feel so much better if I found out it was take your daughter to workday and the "writer" of that piece decided to let his kid bang out an article. Cause I could excuse some kid for have no understanding of the situation and the suckage we suffered leading up to the one good year.
Method Man
Aggies bashed Drew for making elite 8 without facing a single digit seed. He blew those teams out and played a great Duke team well. Kennedy squeaked by UNI on a miracle and got embarrased by OU. This year's game against UNC was amazing. Can't say anything bad about it. We dominated them.
AgsNguyen
AG
"With LSU having a vacancy should BK take the call"

LSU was never going to call and neither was anyone else.
Gap
AG
Method Man said:

Aggies bashed Drew for making elite 8 without facing a single digit seed. He blew those teams out and played a great Duke team well. Kennedy squeaked by UNI on a miracle and got embarrased by OU. This year's game against UNC was amazing. Can't say anything bad about it. We dominated them.
We hate Baylor and are duty bound to try and diminish any accomplishment they have. It is the same for any other school we don't like. However, fans of a school don't generally try to diminish and belittle the accomplishments of their team. They leave that to critics of that team.
JMJLAW
AG
Omg go away, please. Horrible analysis. Picking two years as your small size. Looking almost exclusively at a few tourney wins. How about his entire body of work? Wouldn't that be relevant? Don't answer because everyone knows you're a troll.
GE
AG
JMJLAW said:

Omg go away, please. Horrible analysis. Picking two years as your small size. Looking almost exclusively at a few tourney wins. How about his entire body of work? Wouldn't that be relevant? Don't answer because everyone knows you're a troll.
What post are you responding to? Must have crushed you when the team went to the sweet 16. You'll be even more upset when they're back in the tournament next season
_lefraud_
AG
Well that would be a first in his 20+ years as a head coach.
GE
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Well that would be a first in his 20+ years as a head coach.
Yes it would and I am looking forward to it. Not that common for a coach to have back to back conference championships twice but no back to back NCAA tournament appearances
_lefraud_
AG
It's probably more common than ya think for a one bid league coach.
Double Diamond
You people overate a few games. And underrate the majority of games. Like the AD here are prisoners of the moment, who seem to be able to turn off what is the norm. Poor product is the norm. UNC is the aberration. Michigan is the norm.
Double Diamond
The Kennedy lovers cry two sweet 16s boys! Forget all the rest and poor fundamentals because our boy has two sweet 16s!
Gap
AG
Isn't the most recent, the most relevant? I know it would be if we were doing poorly.
GE
AG
Double Diamond said:

The Kennedy lovers cry two sweet 16s boys! Forget all the rest and poor fundamentals because our boy has two sweet 16s!
So your argument is that regular season wins and losses count more than the postseason and conference hardware?

13-5 finishing second in the SEC, not winning the SEC tournament, and being 1 and done in the NCAA tournament is better than 9-9, not winning the SEC tournament and losing in the Sweet 16? You get more enjoyment out of the four additional regular season victories than the two additional NCAA tournament victories?
GE
AG
Method Man said:

GE said:

Time stamp is arbitrary based on when Kennedy started coaching a roster staffed fully by his own players. Obviously year 5 and onward is the most pure way to evaluate how a coach will do long term, once no residual roster impact from the previous regime still exists
mhayden
Wow. So college basketball coaches shouldn't be judged until Year 5?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.