Starks?

10,850 Views | 137 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Method Man
GrayMatter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
claym711 said:

Good to know the same old Kennedy issues are still around. How many good transfers has he racked up now?
FIFY

only 1, Elijah
The conversations will be uncomfortable, but we all have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable for progress to be made.
gougler08
AG
AggieBaller98 said:

claym711 said:

Good to know the same old Kennedy issues are still around. How many good transfers has he racked up now?
FIFY

only 1, Elijah
ARob is doing quite well at TCU
GrayMatter
AG
gougler08 said:

AggieBaller98 said:

claym711 said:

FIFY

only 1, Elijah
his minutes are down this year, his scoring is down, he's a non-starter, and his team has only lost one game. You do the math.
The conversations will be uncomfortable, but we all have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable for progress to be made.
johnnyblaze36
AG
bobinator said:

Yeah, I don't know how anyone could have watched what Starks did last night and think "yep, this guy deserves to be on the floor."
He was on the floor for less than two minutes in two different stretches and zero in the second half. I don't know how anyone (you) could make a judgement on a player's performance in such a small dose and think he doesn't deserve to be on the floor.

Not to mention we've already seen Collins in huge doses and already know what he gives us. Good lord man I'm starting to think you're related to BK.
gougler08
AG
AggieBaller98 said:

gougler08 said:

AggieBaller98 said:

claym711 said:

FIFY

only 1, Elijah
his minutes are down this year, his scoring is down, he's a non-starter, and his team has only lost one game. You do the math.
He's getting 24+ minutes and scoring 7 points a game on a team that's 13-1...I think he's a good transfer (but played better last season). It's not like he's some scrub that can't play at all and he would be very helpful in our current situation right now
mhayden
We had much of the TexAgs hivemind say we would have made the tournament last year had Caldwell been eligible.

But you don't think A-Rob would have been helpful?
GrayMatter
AG
gougler08 said:

AggieBaller98 said:

gougler08 said:

AggieBaller98 said:

claym711 said:

FIFY

only 1, Elijah
He's getting 24+ minutes and scoring 7 points a game on a team that's 13-1...I think he's a good transfer (but played better last season). It's not like he's some scrub that can't play at all and he would be very helpful in our current situation right now
decent and serviceable yes but not good nor great and I really doubt Alex would have wanted to stay knowing he'd be playing off the bench.
Adam87inSA
AG
ReelDeal said:

I coach youth sports. I tell my kids all the time that we represent beyond the game. I'd rather lose playing the right way with dignity and respect than win at all cost. If Starks has attitude, he would never set foot on the court until he decides he's there for the team. Most people will say they agree with this, but when it comes down to it, they will flip when they see other teams always win. Hogg show extreme selfishness at times shooting contested 3's when Davis is sealed off under the goal. That being said, I don't always understand the logic in the BK offense or defense. Sometimes we look like we go through a set of progressions ( maybe inside-out) and other times it looks like everyone is on the perimeter and we just pass the ball along the outside till the clock is running out and we force whatever we can. It's hard to watch when you have so much talent. The Arizona game; Tyler Davis went 7 for 9. They didn't double down on him, but we didn't take advantage of him shooting 78% in the paint. Instead, he only got 9 touches. I don't understand that. Having said that, Florida did go in with the strategy of clogging the lane, but we have to learn to create with the guards instead of everyone deciding it's their night to "get theirs". It looks like college is shifting to a more "NBA" type of play with either a fast break with a dunk, or just pull up a 3. The main reason why I love college basketball is most successful teams win because they're the most fundamentally sound team; not always the most talented individuals. For this to happen, you have to play unselfishly and have good chemistry with the team. I have yet to see this from the Aggies. I wish them the best of luck.
Great post. Tyler Davis needs way more touches every game. He is a hammer we should absolutely use to bludgeon other teams into foul trouble. And this would invite double teams and create inside-out or dive to the hoop opportunities for teammates.
Hop
Staff
AG
free_mhayden said:

I don't have a problem with a coach holding a player accountable.

But if you aren't winning basketball games you should be shown the door. Either recruit guys that don't have "character" issues and win with them, or keep the guys with "character" issues in line and win.

If you want to mold young men that's great - the YMCA always is in need of coaches. You want to mold young men here? Awesome. You need to win also.

The team is nationally ranked and winning...one week removed from having the school's second highest ranked team in 100 years.

If you want to fire him because he doesn't have enough control of the team and suspensions are persistent and his recruiting has flattened out, that may be a point. Complaining that he's being too tough and not winning enough....you are pulling crap out of the air.
Hop
Staff
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

bobinator said:

Yeah, I don't know how anyone could have watched what Starks did last night and think "yep, this guy deserves to be on the floor."
He was on the floor for less than two minutes in two different stretches and zero in the second half. I don't know how anyone (you) could make a judgement on a player's performance in such a small dose and think he doesn't deserve to be on the floor.

Not to mention we've already seen Collins in huge doses and already know what he gives us. Good lord man I'm starting to think you're related to BK.

If it were me, he would have come out after the first possession when he jacked it up the first time he touched the ball. This isn't a one-time thing. He has constantly taken bad shots early in the shot clock and we know the coaches have been talking to him about running the offense as designed. If they don't listen to you on practice, then your only option as a coach is to bench a player that isn't doing what you ask and hoping that will send the right message.

I remember one time BCG didn't like how the starting five came out to play one game, so he replaced all five with all walk-ons to send a message. When BCG does it, he's a genius. When Kennedy does it, he's a moron.
expresswrittenconsent
Pretty simple to understand. Gillispie won big here. Kennedy has an overall losing conference record 6+ seasons in and has failed to make the dance over 80% of his time at A&M and over 80% of his 20 yr career. You absolutely know this, but you chose to instead be stubborn and argue with the board. Your favorite thing to do is move the goalposts. When we are having a terrible season (which again, is 5 of the 6 seasons Kennedy has been here) you like to pretend that results on the court/ record arent as important as future recruiting, but during a good season like this one you want to point only to the current record and ranking and then suggest that anyone critical of the results are stupid people pulling stuff out of the air. You also love to make the straw man claim that people who are upset with Kennedy think he is the biggest idiot to ever coach hoops when the reality is that fans just want a guy who can regularly make the dance (which Kennedy has been terrible at over the last 11 yrs - 5 at Murray and 6 at a&m).
gougler08
AG
Hop said:

johnnyblaze36 said:

bobinator said:

If it were me, he would have come out after the first possession when he jacked it up the first time he touched the ball. This isn't a one-time thing. He has constantly taken bad shots early in the shot clock and we know the coaches have been talking to him about running the offense as designed. If they don't listen to you on practice, then your only option as a coach is to bench a player that isn't doing what you ask and hoping that will send the right message.

I remember one time BCG didn't like how the starting five came out to play one game, so he replaced all five with all walk-ons to send a message. When BCG does it, he's a genius. When Kennedy does it, he's a moron.
The difference was that BCG did it and still won...(against a Big XII opponent if I remember right, maybe OU?)
czar_iv
AG
Method Man said:

BK recruits entitled AAU kids and then runs them off. Y'all defend him because he is rewarding hustle and effort. How about reaching them instead of just closing up shop?

Probably the first post by Method Man that I agree with 100%.
"Can I Ask What Exactly Is An Aggie? Sure! An Aggie is quite simply the best thing anyone can strive to be!" - Sydney Colson
jml2621
gougler08 said:

Hop said:

johnnyblaze36 said:

bobinator said:

The difference was that BCG did it and still won...(against a Big XII opponent if I remember right, maybe OU?)

Right, not an L by 20+ with incredibly poor in game adjustments and an awful defensive and offensive scheme.
czar_iv
AG
bobinator said:

I had no problem with Collins playing over Starks last night. Don't forget that Starks recently got himself suspended also and he doesn't exactly have great body language when he is on the floor. So who knows what he's been like in practice and off the floor lately.

This is one area where I think it's hard to criticize Kennedy without knowing the whole picture. There are plenty of other more obvious areas. Starks needs to get it together.

Everything you describe is on the HC. I talk to my 12-year-old about body language and attitude. If BK can't convince Starks to change this attitude for himself, his long-term career and this team, why is BK the head basketball coach of Texas A&M University? In other words, if you can't get your best players to play for you then coaching might not be your career.
"Can I Ask What Exactly Is An Aggie? Sure! An Aggie is quite simply the best thing anyone can strive to be!" - Sydney Colson
Gap
AG

Quote:

BK recruits entitled AAU kids
Everyone at this level plays AAU. Which ones are entitled or which ones are not?
Gap
AG

Quote:

If BK can't convince Starks to change this attitude for himself, his long-term career and this team, why is BK the head basketball coach of Texas A&M University?
Isn't this the process BK is currently working through with Starks? Obviously, a lot of the result will depend on Starks.
czar_iv
AG
What about Robinson and the other guards that got run off? When is BK going to develop a guard?
mhayden
Hop said:

free_mhayden said:

I don't have a problem with a coach holding a player accountable.

But if you aren't winning basketball games you should be shown the door. Either recruit guys that don't have "character" issues and win with them, or keep the guys with "character" issues in line and win.

If you want to mold young men that's great - the YMCA always is in need of coaches. You want to mold young men here? Awesome. You need to win also.

The team is nationally ranked and winning...one week removed from having the school's second highest ranked team in 100 years.

If you want to fire him because he doesn't have enough control of the team and suspensions are persistent and his recruiting has flattened out, that may be a point. Complaining that he's being too tough and not winning enough....you are pulling crap out of the air.

Wanting him fired because he's not winning enough is hardly pulling crap out of the air. He made one tournament in 6 seasons -- a fireable offense at nearly every other major conference school.

That doesn't mean I'm a proponent of firing him this season or even mid-season -- especially not one in which we have the talent to actually do something.

But you don't hang banners for "second highest ranking in December".

Our fanbase has been starved for success (in most sports) for so long that we've come to the point that we champion such things as "top recruiting rankings", "highest revenue", and "ranked really high in December" rather than actual achievements on the field/court.

Those other things help SUPPORT the goal -- they aren't the achievement.
mallen
AG
500,000ags said:

Starks probably played into BK's issues last night. I think he took 3 shots in a row during his first few minutes.
You are correct, sir. Once you really look at the numbers over the season you will see why Starks was benched and rightfully so.

It's pretty simple statistical analysis and I'm sure the coaches don't even have to run the numbers to know that something is off with Starks. In simple terms, Starks takes WAY MORE SHOTS per minute than any other Aggie on the team including DJ Hogg, Tyler Davis, Admon Gilder, and Robert Williams.

That alone wouldn't be so bad if Starks didn't also have the WORST SHOOTING percentage on the team BY FAR. Those two statistics combined make it a NO BRAINER for any coach to sit Starks until he buys into the team concept. Starks is literally the worst shooter on the team yet he shoots at a greater rate than any other Aggie.

Here are the numbers:

FGA Per Minute
1. TJ Starks - 0.47
2. Tyler Davis - 0.35
3. JJ Chandler - 0.35
4. Duane Wilson - 0.34
5. DJ Hogg - 0.32
6. Tonny Trocha - 0.30
7. Admon Gilder - 0.30
8. Robert Williams - 0.27

FG %
1. Tyler Davis - .596
2. Robert Williams - .592
3. Admon Gilder - .489
4. Savion Flagg - .480
5. DJ Hogg - .468
6. Duane Wilson - .442
7. JJ Chandler - .438
11. TJ Starks -.310

After looking at these numbers, can someone explain to me WHY THE HECK you would continue to give TJ Starks significant minutes if he continues to take shots without feeding the high percentage shooters?

If Kennedy DID NOT sit Starks then one might question his coaching competency, but to question his competency for benching Starks is just plain stupid.

******END OF THREAD******
basic8
mallen said:

500,000ags said:

Starks probably played into BK's issues last night. I think he took 3 shots in a row during his first few minutes.
You are correct, sir. Once you really look at the numbers over the season you will see why Starks was benched and rightfully so.

It's pretty simple statistical analysis and I'm sure the coaches don't even have to run the numbers to know that something is off with Starks. In simple terms, Starks takes WAY MORE SHOTS per minute than any other Aggie on the team including DJ Hogg, Tyler Davis, Admon Gilder, and Robert Williams.

That alone wouldn't be so bad if Starks didn't also have the WORST SHOOTING percentage on the team BY FAR. Those two statistics combined make it a NO BRAINER for any coach to sit Starks until he buys into the team concept. Starks is literally the worst shooter on the team yet he shoots at a greater rate than any other Aggie.

Here are the numbers:

FGA Per Minute
1. TJ Starks - 0.47
2. Tyler Davis - 0.35
3. JJ Chandler - 0.35
4. Duane Wilson - 0.34
5. DJ Hogg - 0.32
6. Tonny Trocha - 0.30
7. Admon Gilder - 0.30

FG %
1. Tyler Davis - .596
3. Admon Gilder - .489
4. Savion Flagg - .480
5. DJ Hogg - .468
6. Duane Wilson - .442
7. JJ Chandler - .438
11. TJ Starks -.310

After looking at these numbers, can someone explain to me WHY THE HECK you would continue to give TJ Starks significant minutes if he continues to take shots without feeding the high percentage shooters?

If Kennedy DID NOT sit Starks then one might question his coaching competency, but to question his competency for benching Starks is just plain stupid.

Plz do not confuse me with facts, in case I cannot see it with my own eyes.
expresswrittenconsent
Athletic Dept employee
mallen
AG
I'm sure Starks is a great kid but coming off a suspension and then you immediately start back with old habits doesn't leave the coaches any wiggle room to do anything other than take away minutes.
Hop
Staff
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Pretty simple to understand. Gillispie won big here. Kennedy has an overall losing conference record 6+ seasons in and has failed to make the dance over 80% of his time at A&M and over 80% of his 20 yr career. You absolutely know this, but you chose to instead be stubborn and argue with the board. Your favorite thing to do is move the goalposts. When we are having a terrible season (which again, is 5 of the 6 seasons Kennedy has been here) you like to pretend that results on the court/ record arent as important as future recruiting, but during a good season like this one you want to point only to the current record and ranking and then suggest that anyone critical of the results are stupid people pulling stuff out of the air. You also love to make the straw man claim that people who are upset with Kennedy think he is the biggest idiot to ever coach hoops when the reality is that fans just want a guy who can regularly make the dance (which Kennedy has been terrible at over the last 11 yrs - 5 at Murray and 6 at a&m).

You comprehend about 50% of what I say. I have been sending out warning signs about 2018 recruiting since the summer. I think the persistent suspensions are troubling.

For this season, I saw a team demolish West Virginia who hasn't lost since. I saw them easily handle OSU, Penn St., and USC on the road. Yes, they put together a very nice team and we were considered a Top 5 team and a projected 1/2 seed until the three top perimeter scorers missed the last two games. That is all fact. It can't be debated.

So many on this board are putting a lot more stock in the two losses without three veteran starters, and ignoring how the team performed the other 12 games. That is illogical.
CapCityAg89
AG
TexAgs?! Illogical?! Say it ain't so!
peace
S
Did you intentionally leave Collins' stats off your listing?
mgmgrand
AG
His poor body language has been going on for weeks if not months. Tuesday was exceptionally bad. He checked in with about 11:30 left in the first half, which tells me he's in the doghouse. Passes up an entry pass to Tyler Davis with great position on the low block, takes a 3 which gets blocked, and has two other fairly selfish possessions. Gets taken out with 9:30 left and immediately untucks his jersey and slouches to the end of the bench. Regardless of what his current standoff is with the staff, that's pathetic and points to exactly what Kennedy stated...lack of character.

It's the same issue we've seen from him all year. He has superior handles but it means nothing if he is only using them solely to take a bad contested layup or get blocked. He has 15 assists on the entire season. His assists per 40 minutes is 3.4. That is terrible. You are a freshman. Get your teammates involved. Quit sulking. Prove you can play a role before thinking you deserve Tyler Davis' touches.
mgmgrand
AG
double post
Method Man
mallen said:

I'm sure Starks is a great kid but coming off a suspension and then you immediately start back with old habits doesn't leave the coaches any wiggle room to do anything other than take away minutes.

Does anyone remember BCG or Turgeon having to sit guys this much? It's every year. Internal discipline and transfers! Hallmarks of the Kennedy era.
Deputy Travis Junior
Canyon99 said:

I hate to go after a coach mid season but I'm frustrated with the direction of this team right now. Point to the man leading this show. He is having some severe issues with some of these kids buying in to his plan. I can understand that happening in August but not January.

A couple bad games after a rash of injuries and suspensions is understandable. The question is if he'll adjust and put out the fire. I expect the answer will be no given his time here, but there's always a chance.
mgmgrand
AG
Method Man said:

mallen said:

Does anyone remember BCG or Turgeon having to sit guys this much? It's every year. Internal discipline and transfers! Hallmarks of the Kennedy era.
I don't remember BCG or Turge ever having such wild swings in a player's playing time from game to game. Especially the young guards. i'm in the camp that thinks Starks reduced minutes are completely warranted but this has seemed to be a trend under Kennedy. J-Mych and ARob specifically come to mind. Some games they would play the whole thing. Next game, wouldn't even crack 20.
CapCityAg89
AG
Method Man said:

mallen said:

No, I don't remember the full story, but Billy was so tough on Acie, he left the program. His Mom forced him back. I THINK that happened before the season but am not sure.

Point being, coaches are tough on players, tougher on good players and toughest on good players that are poor team players. I hope Billy IS tough on him - he'll get better (ideal) or get gone (sad).

SeattleAg05
AG
mallen said:

500,000ags said:

Here are the numbers:

FGA Per Minute
1. TJ Starks - 0.47
2. Tyler Davis - 0.35
3. JJ Chandler - 0.35
4. Duane Wilson - 0.34
5. DJ Hogg - 0.32
6. Tonny Trocha - 0.30
7. Admon Gilder - 0.30

FG %
1. Tyler Davis - .596
3. Admon Gilder - .489
4. Savion Flagg - .480
5. DJ Hogg - .468
6. Duane Wilson - .442
7. JJ Chandler - .438
11. TJ Starks -.310

Blue parachute for you. Obvious results are obvious. Starks sure looks like he could be good. But right now he is not.
Deputy Travis Junior
mallen has posted some cringe-inducing spin over the years, but he's dead on with this. Right now Starks plays like a really poor man's Marshall Henderson. Jacks a ton of shots despite the fact that he's a wretched shooter (yes, 28% from 3 and 31% overall is wretched).
expresswrittenconsent
CapCityAg89 said:

Method Man said:

mallen said:

No, I don't remember the full story, but Billy was so tough on Acie, he left the program. His Mom forced him back. I THINK that happened before the season but am not sure.

Point being, coaches are tough on players, tougher on good players and toughest on good players that are poor team players. I hope Billy IS tough on him - he'll get better (ideal) or get gone (sad).

That happened a few weeks after BCG took over a team that had gone 0-17 in conference play and a program that was a 20 year bottom feeder. He was changing the culture.
We are 7 years in. Running off players and losing more conf games than you win and trashing the players to the media is the Billy Kennedy culture.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.