Starks?

10,743 Views | 137 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Method Man
Adam87inSA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Did he not come out of the locker room after half?
StarBurns
AG
He's about to be the next in a long line of guards transferring from A&M. Getting the same vibes as ARob and Jamaal from him.
johnnyblaze36
AG
He sat the bench the whole half mostly scratching his head. Then when the game was over he stared at the floor the entire time while shaking hands with Florida players. He was very visibly flustered.
Post removed:
by user
Method Man
Kennedy runs off more players than anyone in Ag history. Great to see collins out there who is mostly worthless.
GE
AG
Sucks. I have high hopes for him. If he can just bring his attitude and expectations into check he can be a great one here. Incredibly talented kid.
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
I think he and caldwell can't co exist. I'd take Starks over Caldwell based on what I've seen to date. Caldwell is not threat to score. Guards have to be a threat in BKs offense or we struggle.

As I said in other posts, Starks has not been the same since Caldwell started getting minutes. Would suck to lose Starks.
2nd Generation Ag
The old saying goes like this " when a couple of players have an attitude it's the players , when a bunch of them have attitudes or transfer it the coach
RG20
Thought he was playing well and progressing. Even had a game where he went off in an important stretch. Caldwell comes back, Starks gets his minutes cut. I would love to see him play more because I think he is a better overall scorer than Caldwell but what do I know, I am not a star on the board which must mean I don't know anything about basketball. I can see how some like Caldwell as well, both have potential.
johnnyblaze36
AG
In a game where you're missing Gilder and Wilson and need a scoring guard there is definitely room for Starks on the floor. In fact this game even more so than any other this year. The whole thing is puzzling.
Aston04
AG
I agree starks has more upside. He can play point too.. in the Donald sloan mold.

Caldwell wants to be show time pass all the the time . F that.
Adam87inSA
AG
Aston04 said:

I agree starks has more upside. He can play point too.. in the Donald sloan mold.

Caldwell wants to be show time pass all the the time . F that.
Yep. Starks should get Caldwell's minutes
StarBurns
AG
If we were actually trying to win this game, Starks would have played every single minute that Chris Collins got which was at least 20-25 minutes. BK needs to enable guys like TJ Starks to shine and not hide him away and fester in frustration. I'd be pissed too. Starks knows he does absolutely everything better than Chris Collins.
GE
AG
I would have started him
CypressAg09
AG
StarBurns said:

If we were actually trying to win this game, Starks would have played every single minute that Chris Collins got which was at least 20-25 minutes. BK needs to enable guys like TJ Starks to shine and not hide him away and fester in frustration. I'd be pissed too. Starks knows he does absolutely everything better than Chris Collins.
Starks got 4 and Collins got 18. That definitely should have been swapped.
warreng
If you listened to the post game radio show whatever assistant they were talking too kept saying how some guys heart wasn't in the right place and they were looking for stats over whats best for the team. I assume he is talking about starks. Id be on board with playing within the offense if we actually had a decent plan on offense to play within. Starks went the rim twice in the first half and got blocked. I guess the staff would prefer him to stand at the top of the key (wrong angle for entry pass but we try it at least 5-6 times a game) try to force the ball inside into a double team. I counted 3 possessions in a row where not 1 man on our offense moved more than 3 feet in any direction. Everyone just stands in there spot hoping to get the ball down low. When we do pass it around we pass, hold the ball for 5 seconds, let the defense rotate, then pass again. How hard is it to move the ball quickly, run hard through your cuts (not that we have much motion) and set a few screens. Everything is just so slow on offense its like we are trying to make sure the defense always has a chance to recover.

The next time I see Robert Williams with the ball at the 3 point line trying to feed in in to Tyler Im throwing my drink on the floor. How about we use a shooter to throw the entry so the defender has to at least come out a little bit. I know we are missing players but this slow offense with no plan other than throw it inside has been bad for years. Go back to the last sweet 16 team. We almost lost to Northern Nobody University trying to play this stupid offense. Finally with 1 minute left we had to abandon our gameplan and freelance and we had such better talent we erased a 12 point lead in 45 seconds. Sometimes I think wed be better if we had no plan and just let them AAU it up and down the court.
johnnyblaze36
AG
That was coach Amir and I was thinking he was talking about Starks as well. When TJ came in with under two minutes left in the first half I noticed a bad/apathetic attitude.

If you have never watched this it pretty amazing. I get that it's no longer high school but give me a break with Collins over Starks.

Aston04
AG
It's like the idiot BK would rather play his pets (Collins, Jordan green,etc) than play superior talent that may be more difficult to manage. Moreover, playing Collins over starks was BK effectively waiving the white flag (no pun intended). Collins doesnt have the near the upside we needed to turn around that game. In fact, they started the huge run when he went in (per usual).
johnnyblaze36
AG
Here is the pic I took of Starks at the end of the game. Last suited up player to get in line. He wasn't even listening to what was going on in the huddles during timeouts. Obviously not a happy camper.

If he doesn't play more on Saturday I may have to go to Rudy's BBQ next Monday and ask BK myself why he's already ruining this seemingly good kid.

SeattleAg05
AG
Man, I love the talent that Starks brings but he's been REALLY rough the last several games. I don't think there's any doubt we were better with Collins on the floor tonight than starks. Until he can play within the flow of the game and get his teammates involved he's limited by what he can generate off the dribble which seems like it's about a 1 in 3 shot at two points
texasaggie2015
AG
jml2621
texasaggie2015 said:

Sure beats winning.

TBF, Collins played hard. He just can't defend FL or really any SEC guards. Hit a shot or two.

Starts sure didn't look any worse or made worse decisions than Caldwell.

At least we know now that Caldwell was not the answer to last year's team.

The Collective
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

**** that
Aston04
AG
Great "character" not keeping that in-house bk. Granted starks was obviously upset, but no need to mention with anyone in the media.
GE
AG
Aston04 said:

Great "character" not keeping that in-house bk. Granted starks was obviously upset, but no need to mention with anyone in the media.
Go listen to the post-game interview. I had to listen twice to see if the reporter actually mentioned Starks name. Sounded more like a Collins question
gougler08
AG
Starks was noticeably upset when Collins was the first guard off the bench and not him, and can you blame him? The fact that we are so short handed and our Mensa coach decides that Collins should be first off the bench is mind blowing
Adam87inSA
AG
gougler08 said:

Starks was noticeably upset when Collins was the first guard off the bench and not him, and can you blame him? The fact that we are so short handed and our Mensa coach decides that Collins should be first off the bench is mind blowing
I suspect that we are seeing BK holding Starks accountable for subpar preparation/effort in practice and doing his own thing in games. This is a watershed moment for Starks. BK obviously believes Starks is not fitting the team concept and is not preparing as hard as others. We need a roster of players locked in and pulling the same direction of this train will continue to wreck. Starks is either going to earn his way out of the doghouse w better habits away from games or he is not going to play at all. This is how you hold players accountable
Adam87inSA
AG
dp
GE
AG
If you're going to immediately quote yourself you need to at least blue star it and say "This"
Method Man
BK recruits entitled AAU kids and then runs them off. Y'all defend him because he is rewarding hustle and effort. How about reaching them instead of just closing up shop?
PatAg
AG
Maybe it would be easier for these guards to fit in and play within the flow of the offense if we had a real offense

For me, this is an opportunity for Gilder or Davis to go to Starks and get him to just suck it up and keep playing hard. We really need one of the freshman to have a light bulb moment as this season progresses
Wearamaskaggie
AG
Man, I like Starks I really do. But if you go in and the first time you touch the ball, you pull up from 3 and get stuffed without even thinking of passing, come on. Starks likes to hunt for shots and be aggressive, but if you pay attention literally the first time he touches the ball he's going to shoot it or drive to the rim wildly and often gets blocked. He had the talent to be very good, he just needs to be seasoned a bit more.
Complete Idiot
How many players have transferred out under BK? This feels like another one about to happen.
mhayden
I don't have a problem with a coach holding a player accountable.

But if you aren't winning basketball games you should be shown the door. Either recruit guys that don't have "character" issues and win with them, or keep the guys with "character" issues in line and win.

If you want to mold young men that's great - the YMCA always is in need of coaches. You want to mold young men here? Awesome. You need to win also.
Ulrich
I like Starks raw talent, but every time he gets the ball he forces up a terrible shot and gets yanked. I'm not sure why he expects to be rewarded with more minutes.

I actually thought this was Caldwell's best game by far... yeah, his defense was poor and he had several bad turnovers, but he also had several GREAT passes and was getting to spots on the floor to force the defense into making tough decisions. I'll take a few errors trying to do something over no errors and no contribution.

Collins does his best, that's all you can ask. Hit a couple shots and worked hard.

Starks needs to get his head right and we need Wilson and Gilder back. Losing this game wasn't on the players we had out there, they were either better or the same as they've been all year.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.