Starks?

10,852 Views | 137 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Method Man
Double Diamond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Northern Iowa is a good basketball school. No shame in losing to them. Only problem was being down so big.
Wizard
Glad this board is finally waking up to what I said weeks ago.

Thanks.
Double Diamond
So the coach is calling out character? Classy.
Adam87inSA
AG
It is entirely appropriate to have fire/retain discussion and decision made after the season. Yes, at that point it is appropriate to account for not only this season but the generally lackluster seasons that preceded it.

We are two games into SEC play now though. This season and this team stands on its own and needs to play out. Nobody is getting fired this week. Going into Bama, this Aggie team had absolutely earned a 5 ranking nationally. We are performing poorly now with multiple starters out. Let's get them back and play the rest of the schedule.
Adam87inSA
AG
In the interview, did BK was praise the character of Collins or did he single out Starks for poor character? Or both?

If he's praising the character of Collins, that's not a problem.
mhayden
Adam87inSA said:

It is entirely appropriate to have fire/retain discussion and decision made after the season. Yes, at that point it is appropriate to account for not only this season but the generally lackluster seasons that preceded it.

We are two games into SEC play now though. This season and this team stands on its own and needs to play out. Nobody is getting fired this week. Going into Bama, this Aggie team had absolutely earned a 5 ranking nationally. We are performing poorly now with multiple starters out. Let's get them back and play the rest of the schedule.

Eh. It's a message forum. People are going to discuss things as they happen and what potentially might happen based on what they've been seeing.

There were a half-dozen threads on if we would be a 1/2 seed in Dallas, if any team had won at both Rupp and the Phog in one season, etc, etc...

Discussion is discussion, and it's going to trend like the team is trending.
bobinator
AG
I had no problem with Collins playing over Starks last night. Don't forget that Starks recently got himself suspended also and he doesn't exactly have great body language when he is on the floor. So who knows what he's been like in practice and off the floor lately.

This is one area where I think it's hard to criticize Kennedy without knowing the whole picture. There are plenty of other more obvious areas. Starks needs to get it together.
500,000ags
AG
Starks probably played into BK's issues last night. I think he took 3 shots in a row during his first few minutes.
Canyon99
I hate to go after a coach mid season but I'm frustrated with the direction of this team right now. Point to the man leading this show. He is having some severe issues with some of these kids buying in to his plan. I can understand that happening in August but not January.
jml2621
Canyon99 said:

I hate to go after a coach mid season but I'm frustrated with the direction of this team right now. Point to the man leading this show. He is having some severe issues with some of these kids buying in to his plan. I can understand that happening in August but not January.

Same story as last year at this time.

Hogg can't fix things against LSU by himself. Hopefully, Gilder, Wilson are back soon.

Chef Demas 2020
AG
Starks was trying to attack the rim and then got benched. Don't blame him for being upset.
greg.w.h
AG
Not going to judge BK on non-transparent discipline. Don't like the way he always finds reasons to not win. Think he needs to be fired and immediately is fine.
PatAg
AG
salloh_tamu said:

Starks was trying to attack the rim and then got benched. Don't blame him for being upset.
I mean, thats not what happened.
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
starks is not an idiot. he will transfer and be better for it just like robinson. this is another BK shouldn't have messed up but he did. BK should have never been extended.

the players will make him look better than what he is once they are all back.
Seven Costanza
AG
It's a tough job to manage egos while getting everyone on the team to buy-in. It's part of the reason why these coaches make millions of dollars. If you consistently can't manage it, you shouldn't be at this level of the profession.
Hop
Staff
AG
StarBurns said:

If we were actually trying to win this game, Starks would have played every single minute that Chris Collins got which was at least 20-25 minutes. BK needs to enable guys like TJ Starks to shine and not hide him away and fester in frustration. I'd be pissed too. Starks knows he does absolutely everything better than Chris Collins.

When Starks goes in the game, he jacks o shots and doesn't run the offense. Now, I guess you can argue that Starks jacking it up is more effective than running the offense...but if the kid refuses to listen to what the coach wants, you should expect the kid to sit.

So which is it? Do you want Kennedy to "get control" and coach more as some of you constantly complain, or do you want him to look past that a freshman is ignoring his coaching and then pouting about it when he's benched?

He certainly is more talented, but you can't let a player dictate the terms of his playing time.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, I don't know how anyone could have watched what Starks did last night and think "yep, this guy deserves to be on the floor."
Seven Costanza
AG
The key for a leader is "how do you get these guys to want to do what you want them to do?" It's not easy, and it takes a certain level of charisma.
FTAG 2000
AG
Canyon99 said:

Same thing happens every year. It's remarkable how we hsomehow ave all these problem children but Kennedy continues to excel come tournament team. Am I right?
FTAG 2000
AG
In defense of Starks, his AAU team had a more diverse offense than Billy runs.
jml2621
bobinator said:

Yeah, I don't know how anyone could have watched what Starks did last night and think "yep, this guy deserves to be on the floor."

Last night's half court offense was such an abortion I couldn't tell the difference.

bobinator
AG
jml2621 said:

bobinator said:

Last night's half court offense was such an abortion I couldn't tell the difference.
Look, I love Starks, I've said since the first time he stepped on the court, and I think he has the tools to be an all-time great. And I have literally no idea what's going on behind the scenes between him and Kennedy. So from a talent standpoint, absolutely love the guy.

But last night he was playing extremely selfish, and bad, basketball.

I hope it's not a situation where Kennedy is screwing it up (I don't know), and I hope it's not a situation where Starks is screwing it up (I don't know.) I just know I like the kid, but he's got to be better than that.
rlb28
AG
Bob, ur right we don't know, but my thought was that the youngsters were told they needed to step up and Starks might have tried too hard. I don't think it's selfishness as Hop professes. But Kennedy pulled the trigger too quick - Starks played 4 minutes total.

He made a nice layup, missed another on a good drive and had a 3 partially blocked (And I might be wrong but the shot clock could've been winding down when he got the ball).
bobinator
AG
rlb28 said:

Bob, ur right we don't know, but my thought was that the youngsters were told they needed to step up and Starks might have tried too hard. I don't think it's selfishness as Hop professes. But Kennedy pulled the trigger too quick - Starks played 4 minutes total.

He made a nice layup, missed another on a good drive and had a 3 partially blocked (And I might be wrong but the shot clock could've been winding down when he got the ball).
It was winding down but there were still about six seconds left.

I think the fact that Kennedy played Collins so much, and didn't play Starks, is a pretty good indicator that Starks did something Kennedy said not to do or didn't do something that he said to do. He's shown this season that he doesn't just want to play Collins for the hell of it.

Again, there's A LOT to criticize Kennedy about, but I just don't think we know enough about this situation.
expresswrittenconsent
Remember last year when Kennedy needed to teach Gilder some lessons so Collins played most of the game at Kentucky where we were down by 30 early in the first half and lost by 45? Good times.
bobinator
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Remember last year when Kennedy needed to teach Gilder some lessons so Collins played most of the game at Kentucky where we were down by 30 early in the first half and lost by 45? Good times.
So you think if a guy is good enough you let him get away with anything?
JRB78
AG
Maybe not, but if we are back to counting on Collins for major minutes, this season will end up a lot like the last one.
bobinator
AG
otni said:

Maybe not, but if we are back to counting on Collins for major minutes, this season will end up a lot like the last one.

Except we totally aren't. This was one game.
expresswrittenconsent
Is that what you think my post said?
Hop
Staff
AG
rlb28 said:

I said Starks was selfish? I think I said he wasn't following the coach's instructions and was benched.
ReelDeal
AG
I coach youth sports. I tell my kids all the time that we represent beyond the game. I'd rather lose playing the right way with dignity and respect than win at all cost. If Starks has attitude, he would never set foot on the court until he decides he's there for the team. Most people will say they agree with this, but when it comes down to it, they will flip when they see other teams always win. Hogg show extreme selfishness at times shooting contested 3's when Davis is sealed off under the goal. That being said, I don't always understand the logic in the BK offense or defense. Sometimes we look like we go through a set of progressions ( maybe inside-out) and other times it looks like everyone is on the perimeter and we just pass the ball along the outside till the clock is running out and we force whatever we can. It's hard to watch when you have so much talent. The Arizona game; Tyler Davis went 7 for 9. They didn't double down on him, but we didn't take advantage of him shooting 78% in the paint. Instead, he only got 9 touches. I don't understand that. Having said that, Florida did go in with the strategy of clogging the lane, but we have to learn to create with the guards instead of everyone deciding it's their night to "get theirs". It looks like college is shifting to a more "NBA" type of play with either a fast break with a dunk, or just pull up a 3. The main reason why I love college basketball is most successful teams win because they're the most fundamentally sound team; not always the most talented individuals. For this to happen, you have to play unselfishly and have good chemistry with the team. I have yet to see this from the Aggies. I wish them the best of luck.
claym711
AG
Good to know the same old Kennedy issues are still around. How many transfers has he racked up now?
rlb28
AG
Hop said:

rlb28 said:

Bob, ur right we don't know, but my thought was that the youngsters were told they needed to step up and Starks might have tried too hard. I don't think it's selfishness as Hop infers. But Kennedy pulled the trigger too quick - Starks played 4 minutes total.

I said Starks was selfish? I think I said he wasn't following the coach's instructions and was benched.
JRB78
AG
Was it just one game? Do we know when Gilder and Wilson will be back?
GrayMatter
AG
Quote:

There could be more than just his performance on the floor. If he pouted and wasn't engaged in the game after he was taken out, why would BK put him back in?
The conversations will be uncomfortable, but we all have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable for progress to be made.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.