Food & Spirits
Sponsored By

THE CIGAR THREAD

32,344 Views | 330 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by bbry81
Stringfellow Hawke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

CFTXAG10 said:

So far the leader in the clubhouse from that pack has been the Connecticut, but all have been fantastic
When I'm well stocked on stogies, I generally try to give most cigars that I get shipped to me at least 2 weeks in the humidor before I smoke em unless I can really tell they are just right moisture level, which is pretty rare. For packs I get that are all the same cigar, I like to test out one a week to see how much better they get, the longer I let em stay in the humidor.


How do you gauge moisture level?


What do you use for a humidor?
Texaggie7nine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I just have a cheap humidor box kind of like this one

https://www.cigarbid.com/a/onyx-glasstop-humidor/3646237/

I replaced the cheap humidifier disk with a better gel based one like this

https://www.thompsoncigar.com/p/xikar-crystal-humidifier/97982/#p-191436&utm_source=connexity

that you can charge with regular water or the specialized xikar solution.

The build in analog hydrometer that came with it is pretty accurate, but I got a cheap electronic one to doublecheck like this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QC7JRDP/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_7ZFiFbF0W0HXX


I usually buy sample packs off cigarbid, so can generally keep everything I have in my humidor, but for people that buy whole boxes you can store them in expensive humidors like seen in posts above, or some people just get good airtight plastic bins and use their own humidifier and hydrometer to keep tabs.

As far as being able to tell if a cigar is at the proper moisture to smoke when you get it shipped in, it's really just trial and error till your fingers understand what resistance is a good one for each cigar really because different brands and types have different feels. Take note how different cigars feel that you know smoked good and keep that in mind for that brand and cigar
CFTXAG10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
On the patio w/ a Series O Oliva , think I like this better than the G but not as much as the Connecticut
AgInSingapore
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Enjoyed a Camacho Liberty 2008 tonight (been hanging on to that one for quite some time) and it was fantastic, aged wonderfully and burned very well.
Stringfellow Hawke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

I just have a cheap humidor box kind of like this one

https://www.cigarbid.com/a/onyx-glasstop-humidor/3646237/

I replaced the cheap humidifier disk with a better gel based one like this

https://www.thompsoncigar.com/p/xikar-crystal-humidifier/97982/#p-191436&utm_source=connexity

that you can charge with regular water or the specialized xikar solution.

The build in analog hydrometer that came with it is pretty accurate, but I got a cheap electronic one to doublecheck like this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QC7JRDP/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_7ZFiFbF0W0HXX


I usually buy sample packs off cigarbid, so can generally keep everything I have in my humidor, but for people that buy whole boxes you can store them in expensive humidors like seen in posts above, or some people just get good airtight plastic bins and use their own humidifier and hydrometer to keep tabs.

As far as being able to tell if a cigar is at the proper moisture to smoke when you get it shipped in, it's really just trial and error till your fingers understand what resistance is a good one for each cigar really because different brands and types have different feels. Take note how different cigars feel that you know smoked good and keep that in mind for that brand and cigar


Gracias
AggieChemist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got a little love for the humidor. Haven't had any tatuajes in a long time.

AgInSingapore
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I often forget how much I enjoy a Tatuaje Seleccion de Cazador...
CoachLB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am seeing a lot of good things being said about the Oliva Connecticut Reserve on here. I think I will pick one up this weekend. I normally like a fuller bodied cigar. But a good Connecticut has great flavors. And I have liked the Oliva cigars I have tried. Quality cigars.
96ags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Might as well get the weekend started!
MizooAg94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agree...

Texaggie7nine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yep
CFTXAG10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In. Decided to try something different tonight. Gonna give it a go later watching the Stros.
Texaggie7nine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Campus course
MizooAg94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Windy day on the deck

https://imgur.com/gallery/1eg6HX8
CoachLB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CoachLB said:

I am seeing a lot of good things being said about the Oliva Connecticut Reserve on here. I think I will pick one up this weekend. I normally like a fuller bodied cigar. But a good Connecticut has great flavors. And I have liked the Oliva cigars I have tried. Quality cigars.
. Hey guys! Well I smoked the Oliva Connecticut Resrve toro this evening. Excellent cigar. Like I said my go to Cigar is a Padron 1964 and I also like the Fuente anejo. But I loved this Connecticut! I am not one of those who can give you 15 different notes I get from a cigar. I just know that I like or dislike a cigar. But what I picked up on this one was: in the first half inch a nice hay like flavor. Then about an inch in I picked a slightly sweet tobacco. From about the half way point I picked up something a little more sweet like a vanilla. Not overly sweet but just really nice. Stayed there the rest of the cigar. I had to make sure I did not overheat the cigar because I was wanting to get another draw on it quickly because is was so good. I had read if you smoke nothing but full bodied cigars you should throw in something like a Connecticut for a few times to reset your palate. So I picked up a couple of these and a Montecristo white series for my humidor. But I really enjoyed this Oliva. . Thanks for the heads up on these.
spud1910
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I agree. New to the cigar game and I appreciate all the suggestions made here.
Texaggie7nine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Indeed changing it up is key to really being able to appreciate all the subtleties of even your favorite sticks.
CoachLB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Texaggie7nine said:

Indeed changing it up is key to really being able to appreciate all the subtleties of even your favorite sticks.
. Thanks. Will be doing that. Even more so since I found a Connecticut I enjoy.
CoachLB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I appreciate the conversations on different cigars here too. I would have never bought the Oliva Connecticut if not for the guys on here talking about it.
spud1910
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah sitting out by the pool as the sun sets, with a cigar is becoming a favorite thing to do.
CoachLB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Man Spud! That is a beautiful view! Perfect spot for a cigar!
AgInSingapore
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nub Maduro for me tonight, such a nice full bodied stick yet easy to smoke. Got it down to about half an inch before setting it down for good (fingertips appreciated that), even draw all the way through, nice oils, even burn, and clean white ash. Accompanied by some George Dickel No. 12 neat and two dogs who thought they saw an opossum.
96ags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good Sunday morning
AggieChemist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Birthday chores.

CFTXAG10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Camacho Connecticut was actually really good, not quite on the same level as the Oliva, but I would buy again
ORAggieFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
96ags said:

Might as well get the weekend started!


These are great. I've got a few boxes I should open up one.
Stan Crowch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have a box of QDO 54s on the way. Great cigars.
96ags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Olivia Cain Daytona tonight. Pretty dang nice cigar.


96ags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CroMagnon tonight.

hopheadAg09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Opus kind of night
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tomorrow night is cigar night for me. But I'm jealous of y'all right now.
AggieChemist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG


Graycliff 10 year vintage Maduro and two fingers of OGD114.
Texaggie7nine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is tasty

ORAggieFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bunk Moreland said:

Tomorrow night is cigar night for me. But I'm jealous of y'all right now.

I've got a group that we get together every Thursday. Ive been a part of it for 12 years but it's gone in longer than that. It is a great time and nice escape from the daily grind.
Texaggie7nine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looks like we may have to go back to off texags image hosting.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.