Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

The Hot Sauce Thread

39,276 Views | 181 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by big ben
TX_AG_10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone tried any of the Buc-ees sauces? Just picked up this one yesterday..
The Milkman
AG
What're yalls thoughts on Torchbearer sauces? I've heard great things but haven't grabbed any bottles yes. I'm especially interested in the Headless Horseradish and Garlic Reaper
TX_AG_10
AG
I'd love to try the Headless Horseradish as well. I'm about ready to stock up on an Amazon order with more sauces and need to add that to the list.
Phrasing
AG

Picked this up from Hebert's in Houston the other day - didn't realize Slap was making hot sauce, I've used the seasoning as an all purpose for years. Excited to try it
TX_AG_10
AG
Got some new sauces and kept Dirty Dicks in the rotation. Really excited to try the smoked onion..
maca1028
Really enjoying this one.
GoAgs92
AG
The OP lost me at "in the fridge"....wtf?
Philip J Fry
AG
Really been enjoying this on grilled chicken.

TXAG 05
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Really been enjoying this on grilled chicken.

I like it too
TX_AG_10
AG
It's been while since this thread has been bumped. Added a few more to the line up this week. Truff is extremely rich and surprisingly sweet. Need to do some more experimenting with it. I don't think it's an everyday sauce but I think it has a niche somewhere.

Headless Horseradish is tasty but has a good kick. Can't wait to try it on a roast beef sandwich or burgers.

halibut sinclair
My favorite other than various Tabasco sauces:

My wife's favorite:

We both love this stuff also:

aTm_bomb
AG
Came across this hot sauce while at my mom's place in Florida. Not a real burner but has great flavor; for context, I enjoy original Cholula most of the time. It's from a restaurant in Florida.

I have only found it through their website and got a few bottles for Xmas.

Columbia Hot Sauce

Ornlu
AG
I saw these in the store the other day:

I will probably pick up the scorpion or reaper once my current bottle of Blueberry ghost pepper runs out.
Potcake
AG
aTm_bomb said:

Came across this hot sauce while at my mom's place in Florida. Not a real burner but has great flavor; for context, I enjoy original Cholula most of the time. It's from a restaurant in Florida.

I have only found it through their website and got a few bottles for Xmas.

Columbia Hot Sauce

Columbia restaurant in Ybor City is awesome.
Bruce Almighty
AG
TXAG 05
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Ooooh. Hadn't seen that. Will look for it next time I'm at HEB
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Really love Secret Aardvark. Most breakfast restaurants out here in Oregon have it.
Bruce Almighty
AG
TXAG 05 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Ooooh. Hadn't seen that. Will look for it next time I'm at HEB

You probably won't find it. They only made 1,000 bottles. I'm surprised I was able to get one.
wessimo
AG
Current lineup including several I ordered from Heatonist recently.

The Yellow Last Dab isn't nearly as hot as I was expecting it to be. XXX has a bit more heat. I'm not sure either of them are as painful as Da Bomb.
Misplacedtexan87
That stuff is amazing
Misplacedtexan87
Holy ****
TX_AG_10
AG
Nice line up. I can't imagine even trying Da Bomb..

My next sauce is the Dawsons Cremini Habanero..
agcrock2005
AG
TX_AG_10 said:

Anyone tried any of the Buc-ees sauces? Just picked up this one yesterday..

I really like the Carolina Reaper one below (pic courtesy of google). Has great heat but good flavor. Little watery so have to be careful when pouring.

wessimo
AG
TX_AG_10 said:

Nice line up. I can't imagine even trying Da Bomb..

My next sauce is the Dawsons Cremini Habanero..

Da Bomb is not to be trifled with. A few months ago I made the mistake of eating a breakfast of a teaspoon or so of it on some tortilla chips. The fire in my mouth was tolerable but a short time later I started experiencing intense stomach cramps that lasted 20-30 minutes. Lesson learned to not eat the super spicy stuff on an empty stomach.
Max Power
AG
Got a shipment in from Heatonist this weekend. I mainly like hot sauce that's big on vinegar and low on sugar, that's what I like the most on eggs, which is my main vessel for hot sauce delivery.

Included:
Hot Ones | The Classic Duo
[url=https://heatonist.com/collections/medium-hot-sauces/products/hot-ones-los-calientes][/url]Hot Ones | Los Calientes Duo
Queen Majesty | Jalapeno Tequila Lime Hot
Howler Monkey | Original

I tried The Classic this morning, love it. Flavor is great, very mild spice level. Uses chile de arbol as it's pepper component, which I'm a big fan of. Will try to get a taste of as many as possible this week, but we're off to a great start.

Others I considered getting:
Cantina Royal Hot Sauce | Tamaulipeka
Double Take Salsa Co | Scotch Bonnet Mustard
Mark's Hot Sauce | Barbados Style
Dirty Dick's | "No Name" Chipotle
Queen Majesty | Red Habanero & Black Coffee
Butterfly Bakery | Smoked Onion
Dawson's | Big Smoke
Angry Goat | Goat Rider
heddleston
AG
Anyone ever tried to make their own Yellowbird style sauce? I can't get it out where I'm at and am trying to decide if it's worth giving it a shot. The ingredients are simple but I'm sure the process is anything but.
Bruce Almighty
AG
You can get Yellowbird on Amazon Prime
heddleston
AG
I know and I'll probably get a bottle from there, but during a non pandemic I spend most of my time overseas and so I'd like to figure out how to get started trying to make my own.
Max Power
AG
Got a couple new ones in this week that I've had a chance to try out.

It's very similar to Louisiana Hot Sauce but just a little bit spicier, not bad. It's not just a runny liquid like Tabasco is, which is why Louisiana Hot Sauce is my old standby for cajun applications. I need to make some gumbo to try this out on.

This sauce is oil-based, which I don't know that I've had before. It tastes wonderful, I love it. Tastes very familiar, I can't figure out what it reminds me of. I just tried it on eggs but it probably goes awesome with anything. I feel like I want some more just writing about it.
agcrock2005
AG
Someone had bought this and left it out at our deer lease (we have a little collection of hot sauces) last week. Holy **** it's hot! "250,000 - 1,000,000" scoville units. Feels like closer to 1M.

tlepoC
AG
I've gotta say, I've converted almost entirely over to various chili crisps for eggs which means most of my hot sauces aren't getting much use these days

Momo***u and Fly by Jing really take it up a notch compared to your Lao Gan Ma at the grocery store. IMO, worth the comparatively high cost. If you want to diversify your hot sauces further - this white guy highly recommends giving these a shot.

Ducks4brkfast
AG
Yes - Fly by Jing is damn near a staple on every plate I make.
Proc92
Enjoying Smokin Marie by Marie Sharpes. For some reason I go back to el yucateco black. The whisker bomb hot is a good everyday sauce for me.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
tlepoC said:

I've gotta say, I've converted almost entirely over to various chili crisps for eggs which means most of my hot sauces aren't getting much use these days

Momo***u and Fly by Jing really take it up a notch compared to your Lao Gan Ma at the grocery store. IMO, worth the comparatively high cost. If you want to diversify your hot sauces further - this white guy highly recommends giving these a shot.

Havent had the Fly By Jing yet, but the Momo***o Chili Crunch is fantastic. Spicy, salty, touch of sweet.
Sazerac
AG
Nanny introduced me to this, very tasty and not burn your face off.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.