Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

The Hot Sauce Thread

39,188 Views | 181 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by big ben
TX_AG_10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The better than Sriracha thread got me curious about everyone's current sauce line up. This is what I have in the fridge right now and I do a pretty good job of rotating them regularly! My current favorite is the Heatonist/Cutino Fiery Chipotle! What's in your fridge/pantry?

PapaJohn14
AG
HEB Santava Habanero sauce is my go to. Had a buddy go ape**** over some truffle hot sauce that's gotten very popular. I also really like Yellowbird Habanero sauce.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Crystal
Potcake
AG
We bought some of that Aardvark at Portland airport last year. Pretty good but has a curry hint.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I love Yellow Bird jalapeno and serrano. I use Valentina quite often as well. It's better than chalula.
Garrelli 5000
AG
I need to find yellow bird - I've seen it multiple times lately on this forum.

I recently started using el yucateco black label reserve habanero. a few dashes on top of fried eggs with some smoked sea salt/black pepper mix - yum. Winning breakfast.

Take the trash out staff.
AggieBarstool
I wanna try the Hot Ones Fiery Chipotle sauce but it's my understanding it's not being made any more? Can't find it on Heatonist's website.
TX_AG_10
AG
The Hot Ones Fiery Chipotle is not being made anymore. Cutino Sauce Co has a Chipotle sauce that is supposedly very similar. They were the original recipe of the Hot Ones FC sauce but they changed up the recipe slightly for the show.

Los Calientes is the new Hot Ones sauce. I'm hoping to break into that one this weekend!
schmendeler
AG
it's not really hot sauce, but I like pickapeppa sauce. I use it where Worcestershire might be used instead.

Ag_07
AG
TX_AG_10
AG
Will be adding El Yucateco and the Yellow Bird to the list!

Has anyone seen those sauces at Firehouse? That's my usual go to for trying new/different sauces.
Ornlu
AG
I really enjoy this stuff: https://www.heb.com/product-detail/del-primo-habanera-red-sauce/1667883

I'm not big into the pungent vinegar of the more Tabasco-like pepper sauces, I prefer the more salsa-like flavor.
jh0400
AG
I just ordered some Truff. I'm interested to see if it's worth the money.
GAC06
AG
Marie Sharp's
PapaJohn14
AG
jh0400 said:

I just ordered some Truff. I'm interested to see if it's worth the money.

Please report back what you think. My buddy said it's more truffle sauce than it is a hot sauce, if that makes sense. He did say it goes great on Mac and Cheese
powerbelly
AG
This is my go-to.

Not too hot with good flavor.
BQ78
AG
Silverleaf Ghost Pepper Salsa.
TXAG 05
AG
Adam Ag 98 said:

I need to find yellow bird - I've seen it multiple times lately on this forum.

I recently started using el yucateco black label reserve habanero. a few dashes on top of fried eggs with some smoked sea salt/black pepper mix - yum. Winning breakfast.

HEB carries Yellowbird, and I think you can order it from their website. The habanero is one of my favorites.
88Warrior
Crystal...
bunlundun
AG
I have really liked the Queen Majesty Scotch Bonnet & Ginger Hot Sauce. I also have the Pirates Lantern Pepper Sauce, but it is pretty mustardy. Good on sandwiches and such. Would love to try the Hot Ones Chipotle, I might have to check out the similar version that Cutino Sauce Co put out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0716G5MBX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZPR4P1I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
TX_AG_10
AG
The Hot Ones Chipotle is fantastic. That's my second bottle in the picture. I really wish they'd continue it! The ingredient list on the Cutino site is the same, just in a different order if that means anything. I need to order one and do a taste comparison while I still have some of the Hot Ones sauce left!
Slicer97
AG
What I generally have lying around:

Diamondback Sriracha
Frank's Xtra Hot or Zatarain's
Wuju and Wuju Extra hot
Mad Dog 357 Pure Ghost
Mad Dog 357 Scorpion
Cholula
Freebird's Death Sauce
Dave's Insanity

What I wish was still available:

Quizno's Batch 81
TX_AG_10
AG
That's a solid line up. I love the Freebirds Death Sauce. The Torchy's Diablo sauce is also really good. Need to snag a bottle of that!
The Milkman
AG
How is the Secret Aardvark? I feel like I see it often enough, but its label and bottling seems so janky that I've never picked it up.

I'm aware of thats where some of the best gems can be found... but its hard not judging a book by the cover
The Milkman
AG
And you bozos just got me $16 bucks on a bottle of hot sauce. Truff is on its way
schmendeler
AG
I looked up that Truff sauce. truffle oil infused hot sauce? ugh, no thanks. certainly not at that price.
TX_AG_10
AG
I like the aardvark so far. Only had it on pizza as of now. Has good heat and a bold flavor. It has a chili powder/cumin hint in my opinion. They compare it to a carribean/Tex Mex fusion I think. I'd recommend it for sure
Duncan Idaho
America test kitchen has a recipe for saracha that is pretty damn good.

I tend to just make my own hot sauce every season.
Max Power
AG
I have several of the ones already listed, I learned of this one from some friends of mine, it's not hot, it's like a cross between Franks and Louisiana Hot Sauce, it's great on pizza.

ElCheAg
AG
Love Red Devil on sandwiches.
Potcake
AG

L-R
A friend has a business that helps people get their products into stores. She just gave me all the Yellowbirds. I've had the serrano, jalapeno, and habanero before. The ghost pepper and blue agave siracha are new to me.
Bought the Secret Ardvaark at Portland airport.
First had the Baron in St. Lucia, now we order it online.
Matouks, we can buy at Central Market but we bought one in Eleuthera.
Louisiana hot sauce we use for oysters and Bloody Mary's.
Lady Di's came from Eleuthera.
Blind Betty from St. John.

I used to like Sontava when it was bottled by Marie Sharps. It's from Colombia now and doesn't taste the same.
RockwallAg99
AG
TX_AG_10 said:

I like the aardvark so far. Only had it on pizza as of now. Has good heat and a bold flavor. It has a chili powder/cumin hint in my opinion. They compare it to a carribean/Tex Mex fusion I think. I'd recommend it for sure
Used to love Aardvark. Only place I could find it in DFW was Central Market (HEB) and they stopped carrying it about a year ago. Been using Yellowbird ever since. Would love to find the Aardvark again.
Ornlu
AG
Ya'll ever tried Lizano? Similar to pickappa, it's not really hot but rather just savory with a slight heat.

bularry
I like Louisiana Hot
schmendeler
AG
Haven't heard of it. Interesting

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.