Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,276,285 Views | 10508 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by QBCade
Thriller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Where are you with snow on the trees?

We just got back from a weekend in Steamboat where it snowed out our baseball tournament.
BSD
AG
Thriller said:

Where are you with snow on the trees?

We just got back from a weekend in Steamboat where it snowed out our baseball tournament.

That top pic? That's just the sill iPhone lighting issue. We were actually in Hana, Maui. That the ocean past the trees! We'll be hitting snow later this summer in Alaska.

Snowed out the tournament? You don't hear that often in June!
Thriller
AG
Nice - I think Maui is in our plans next year.

yeah - rained all weekend and snowed for about 7-8 hours total over 2 days. Rabbit Ears Pass on the way up to Steamboat on Thursday had some snow hiding in the tree shadows. On the way down today had 6+ inches of snow and we drove through the cloud/snowstorm when heading over the pass.

Crazy weather in Colorado this spring/summer.
AlexSAWineguy
AG
Italian wine question: Has anyone ever had any of the Quintarelli offerings? I realize that this forum is New World heavy, I'm being told their stuff is top notch.

A2

Rosso del Bepi and Alzero in particular.
A2
BigAg95
AG
Italy has always confounded me. I'd guess that 6 or 7-of my top ten favorite wines I've had were Italian, but trying to use that info to find another one I really like yields almost nothing. Amarone is the only Italian red I've found to be pretty consistent in terms of flavor profile and style across producers.
MavsAg
AG
Celebrating my parent's 40th wedding anniversary this weekend. Any recs for a nice bottle (~$100) that I could find relatively easily at a Specs or Total Wine? Mom prefers cabs or a red blend.
cecil77
AG
MavsAg said:

Celebrating my parent's 40th wedding anniversary this weekend. Any recs for a nice bottle (~$100) that I could find relatively easily at a Specs or Total Wine? Mom prefers cabs or a red blend.

Much to choose from in that range! From Napa if you can find the Spottswoode Lyndenhurst (their 2nd label) it's very good.

Any Pr Gr Cru from St Emilion, e.g. Ch. Troplong Mondot or Ch Beau-Sejoure Becot or Ch Pavie Macquin

From St Julien I like Leoville Poyferre

Really, once you're in that price range, it's gonna be good. Some of the heavily distributed Napa stuff may be pretty sweet [cough]Caymus[cough], but other than that...

Our 40th is just 8 years away. Perfect cellaring range as long as you're shopping... Just sayin'....
Austintm
MavsAg said:

As Cecil's suggests, Spottswoode Lyndenhurst is very nice

Also look for Mark Herold Brown Label (just under $100). Total Wine carries it at some locations. Herold is a very good winemaker who works for several wineries, and also has his own label. His White Label is amazing, but $$$

Another one that TW usually carries is CJ Melka, around $90. Melka is a famous winemaker in Napa, and makes some great stuff.
HTownAg98
Chateau Montelena would be another one to try.
BigAg95
AG
Austintm said:

MavsAg said:

Also look for Mark Herold Brown Label (just under $100). Total Wine carries it at some locations. Herold is a very good winemaker who works for several wineries, and also has his own label. His White Label is amazing, but $$$

Another one that TW usually carries is CJ Melka, around $90. Melka is a famous winemaker in Napa, and makes some great stuff.
I've had Herold's Flux GSM line, and really liked them. Great QPR at $20-30/bottle. I'll have to try some of his $$$ stuff!
Tumble Weed
MavsAg said:

I agree with Cecil on the Premier Grand Cru or Grand Cru from St. Emilion. There will be several to choose from. You can also pick up a nice Pomerol at that price.

A 1979 port would be a nice dessert!
MavsAg
AG
Thanks for all the help! Should be a fun Specs run and even better weekend.
BigAg95
AG
If you want to stick with Cab but go with a Bordeaux, TW has Leoville Barton for $95 and Pontet Canet for $100-110. Those are hard to beat for the $$, IMHO.
cecil77
AG
BigAg95 said:

If you want to stick with Cab but go with a Bordeaux, TW has Leoville Barton for $95 and Pontet Canet for $100-110. Those are hard to beat for the $$, IMHO.
Here, at least Total Wine has the best Bordeaux selection and price.
Austintm
BigAg95 said:

Austintm said:

MavsAg said:

I've had Herold's Flux GSM line, and really liked them. Great QPR at $20-30/bottle. I'll have to try some of his $$$ stuff!
White label is $225.
BigAg95
AG
Austintm said:

BigAg95 said:

Austintm said:

MavsAg said:

White label is $225.
Is this it?

https://www.markheroldwines.com/product/2015-Oakville-Cabernet
BSD
AG
BigAg95 said:

I like this rec.
Austintm
BigAg95 said:

Austintm said:

BigAg95 said:

Austintm said:

MavsAg said:

White label is $225.
Is this it?

https://www.markheroldwines.com/product/2015-Oakville-Cabernet
Yes. $225 at TW. Better deal from the source.
FWIW he is also the winemaker for The Vineyardist, a highly-allocated small production winery on Diamond Mountain. Great place to visit, and the wines are spectacular:

http://www.thevineyardist.com/
BigAg95
AG
Thanks, I'll check it out!
Chipotlemonger
AG
Opened some Schramsberg this week to celebrate a new job and move to Santa Rosa, CA!

BigAg95
AG
Congrats on the move and the new gig!

Having a bottle of Dylan's Ghost, made by Aaron Pott. Very nice for a ~$20 bottle!
BSD
AG
Vacation wine in Alaska.

austinag1997
AG
Damn. I haven't looked at this thread in some time. I don't give 2 hoots about Screaming Eagle. My guess is it may still be great even though Heidi is long gone. There are some Texas wines that are really good. Personally, I like white Texas wines because of the terroir. Just personal palate.

Hiwever, I have enjoyed this thread for suggestions on other purcahses. I respect BSD's opinion, and have met Cecil and his wife at Hilmy. Great peeps.
cecil77
AG
Come see me at Inwood Estates some Saturday!.

Two new labels and several wines being released in the next few months.
austinag1997
AG
Dang, since he closed his tasting room in Florence, I haven't seen much of Dan. Caught him once in Fredericksburg last year, and bought a bottle of Colos. Is that where you frequent now?
bushytailed
AG
Just got back from Hye. We hit up Ab Astris, Kuhlmon, and William Chris. Of note were the Reddy Roussanne and the Montepulciono at Ab Astris and the Hensel Ros at Kuhlmon. Twas a good wine day.
cecil77
AG
austinag1997 said:

Dang, since he closed his tasting room in Florence, I haven't seen much of Dan. Caught him once in Fredericksburg last year, and bought a bottle of Colos. Is that where you frequent now?
Ben the Saturday Reserve Room host since Jan '16! Lots of really cools stuff going on now. I'm there every Saturday, but can be there any day you want with a couple days' notice.

Chipotlemonger
AG
got into my "cellar" (quotes because it's small and mainly digging into it to make the move easier/partially celebrate) tonight with this great bottle:

HTownAg98
cecil77 said:

Come see me at Inwood Estates some Saturday!.

Two new labels and several wines being released in the next few months.

We did the Super Flight again with another couple two Fridays ago with Dan. He gave us a taste of those wines by pulling barrel samples and blending it in front of us.

I strongly recommend doing that tasting with either Cecil or Dan. It's one of the best tastings you can do in Fredericksburg. The other one is the private tasting at Calais.
cecil77
AG
Cool! So glad you got to try them! I'll post review of CM next week after release...
MooreTrucker
AG
We'll be in Fbg Thursday and maybe Friday as well. How do we set up a tasting at Calais?
cecil77
AG
Calais wineryCalais WineryMooreTrucker said:

We'll be in Fbg Thursday and maybe Friday as well. How do we set up a tasting at Calais?

Reservations required. I suggest the Winemaker's Table. Call, don't use the online. If you speak to Ben, mention me, no guarantees, but couldn't hurt!

https://www.calaiswinery.com/
MooreTrucker
cecil77
AG
Dan Gatlin just published this blog entry ahead of this Sunday's release of the 2015 Chateau Marie LaRose. It's pretty long, and I understand that many of you aren't really interested in this level of detail about grapes and wine, but if you are - it's pretty good read! For those of you who have tasted at Inwood, especially the Super Flight, some will be familer...

Science and Nature, Part III: How Great Wine is Made, One Half of the Equation

TLDR: Great grapes and great wine can be grown lots of places, even really hot places. "Terroir" as it has become to be known, really isn't a useful concept.
MooreTrucker
AG
cecil77 said:

Dan Gatlin just published this blog entry ahead of this Sunday's release of the 2015 Chateau Marie LaRose. It's pretty long, and I understand that many of you aren't really interested in this level of detail about grapes and wine, but if you are - it's pretty good read! For those of you who have tasted at Inwood, especially the Super Flight, some will be familer...

Science and Nature, Part III: How Great Wine is Made, One Half of the Equation

TLDR: Great grapes and great wine can be grown lots of places, even really hot places. "Terroir" as it has become to be known, really isn't a useful concept.
I always looked a terrior as more of a "why this wine tastes this way" as opposed to "what wines can be grown where". Is this not the case? I know that cab, merlot, malbec, pinot grigio, and several others besides temp can be grown up here, though temp is by far predominant. But as I understand it, terrior affects how High Plains cab differs from Hill country cab differs from Napa cab.

(I haven't had a chance to read this yet...or parts I and II for that matter).
First Page Last Page
Page 185 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.