Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,283,388 Views | 10513 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by bularry
cecil77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Or make wine you like even better! I'd never done it until taking part in our blending trials for the new labels coming out (a left bank Bordeaux blend, and two multi clone cab blends). It's amazing what a small portion of a wine can change in a blend.

Plus, I like finding ways to extend my wine passion/avocation. Turns out that if the sole expression is actually drinking the stuff - it's pretty easy to get into trouble!
HTownAg98
Well looky what came today...
MooreTrucker
AG
We were part of a blending party for a new rose' that we got to select from three different combo/ratios. Our pick was used and it was really good.

We're also part of a group that's getting two wines, Merlot and Cab, from just into the barrels to into the bottle and there will be a blending party for that, too. In the meantime, we can have a taste of both anytime we come in. The most recent pickup party I tasted both and then mixed them 50/50 and it was wonderful.

I haven't tried it at home but it might be fun to get some OK wines and play with blending them.
Austintm
HTownAg98 said:

Well looky what came today...

Awesome. Ruinart, both vintage and NV, is a really great, often overlooked champagne. We always have some on hand. Their brut rose is very nice as well.
HTownAg98
I got a bottle of the nv brut rose as well.
BullSprig07
AG
Anyone have much experience doing any tasting in the Santa Cruz Mountains area, or knowledge of wines in general from that area? I head to Monterey for work at the end of July every year and thinking of flying the wife out and taking a couple personal days on the back end this year and Santa Cruz would be right up the road.

Ridge would be the obvious one but past that I don't really know any Santa Cruz Mountains wines.
cecil77
AG
We've got a new employee that lived in the area, and she was just talking about some wineries in the area.

Ridge, David Bruce, Byington, Bonnie Doon, Calera were the ones she recommends.
BullSprig07
AG
cecil77 said:

We've got a new employee that lived in the area, and she was just talking about some wineries in the area.

Ridge, David Bruce, Byington, Bonnie Doon, Calera were the ones she recommends.
Perfect thanks! Also cecil, that was me that recognized you on the Wine Knerds facebook thread about Texas wine last night.
cecil77
AG
I was wondering. Any idea how many of us are on there? I usually just toss grenades and duck, it's an interesting group!
Austintm
Piper 2017 allocations came out today. Got my 3-pack
cecil77
AG
Austintm said:

Piper 2017 allocations came out today. Got my 3-pack
Yup.
BSD
AG
Also in. May open a 2010 for Father's Day.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Recommendations for an afternoon tasting near Santa Rosa?
wtmartinaggie
AG
Hey man! Glad you're making it out to the left coast for a few days. We're about an hour from Santa Rosa, so that may be a bridge too far for y'all, but if you want to drop in we'd love to have you out. I haven't spent much time out that way tasting, but i asked my team and they gave me a few rec's...

1) Kibelstadt
2) Lambert Bridge (one of my favorites)
3) Mantanzas Creek
4) Harvest Moon
5) Annadele

If you like beer at all, i highly, highly recommend dropping in to Russian River Brewery while you are in Santa Rosa. Great pizza, and Pliny the Elder is one of my all-time favorite beers.

If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a line. Hope we get to cross paths one of these days.

Taylor Martin '07
taylor@italicswinegrowers.com
BullSprig07
AG
Probably been recommended ad nauseum but if you want to stay in Santa Rosa you could always do Siduri. You are a stone's throw from Russian River, Alexander Valley or even Dry Creek though which all have multiple great options.
HTownAg98
Chipotlemonger said:

Recommendations for an afternoon tasting near Santa Rosa?

Siduri, Benovia, Martinelli are all close by.
MooreTrucker
AG
MooreTrucker said:

We were part of a blending party for a new rose' that we got to select from three different combo/ratios. Our pick was used and it was really good.

We're also part of a group that's getting two wines, Merlot and Cab, from just into the barrels to into the bottle and there will be a blending party for that, too. In the meantime, we can have a taste of both anytime we come in. The most recent pickup party I tasted both and then mixed them 50/50 and it was wonderful.

I haven't tried it at home but it might be fun to get some OK wines and play with blending them.
Just to brag a little, that rose' that came from our blending party just won a Gold Medal (91 points) at the Los Angeles International Wine Competition. Other wines from the winery, English Newsom Cellars here in Lubbock, won a gold with 93 points, two silvers, and a bronze. All are '17 or '18.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Thanks everyone for the Santa Rosa recs!
jh0400
AG
If you like beer at all, you owe it to yourself to stop in at Russian River Brewing Company.
BSD
AG
jh0400 said:

If you like beer at all, you owe it to yourself to stop in at Russian River Brewing Company.

My sentiments as well.
jh0400
AG
BSD said:

jh0400 said:

My sentiments as well.

Well, I feel like the rec isn't complete without mentioning the hangover killer that is the double espresso at Flying Goat.
BSD
AG
jh0400 said:

BSD said:

jh0400 said:

My sentiments as well.

Well, I feel like the rec isn't complete without mentioning the hangover killer that is the double espresso at Flying Goat.

Well yeah, I thought that was in all the guidebooks so it goes without saying.
BSD
AG
And a hike thru Armstrong State Park.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I am fortunate enough to have gone to the RRBC Windsor location before! It was awesome.
jh0400
AG
Gotta do the OG in Santa Rosa
BSD
AG
I did both when I was out there in November. We did lunch downtown and then went over to Windsor to the new facility. It had only been open for a few weeks and we got a private tour. It was cool, but I like the pub feel of downtown better. I also like the food downtown better. Yes, Windsor has a more upscale menu, but downtown just has the RRBC feel to it. Of course, I'm old and set in my ways and I've been doing there for years, but I try to be objective. That's said, you'll enjoy both!
Cobie Scott
Howdy... a few Ags were asking about Aggie owned wineries!

The new 12 Fires Winery and Vineyard is owned by Mike & Tabitha Nance '96, Dave "Duke" Meadows '96 and Zach Hyge '97.
They are located on the 290 wine trail near Johnson City (and next door to the 'castle' winery out there).
The vines are in the ground and they have wine in the bottle. They will be breaking ground on the tasting room shortly. Until then they are hosting pop up tastings in the vineyard or by appointment.

Follow them on Instagram for times and dates.
website - www.12fires.com

Great wines and great Ags.
cecil77
AG
Cobie Scott said:

Howdy... a few Ags were asking about Aggie owned wineries!

The new 12 Fires Winery and Vineyard is owned by Mike & Tabitha Nance '96, Dave "Duke" Meadows '96 and Zach Hyge '97.
They are located on the 290 wine trail near Johnson City (and next door to the 'castle' winery out there).
The vines are in the ground and they have wine in the bottle. They will be breaking ground on the tasting room shortly. Until then they are hosting pop up tastings in the vineyard or by appointment.

Follow them on Instagram for times and dates.
website - www.12fires.com

Great wines and great Ags.

I wish them the best and look forward to meeting them! I do wish they'd plant Cab Sauv instead of Mourvedre...
Big Tuna
Chipotlemonger said:

Thanks everyone for the Santa Rosa recs!

If you end up doing a RR tour, I would suggest Gary Farrell, Lynmar, and Alquimista.

Alquimista isn't much to look at, but my God. The best wines and testing experience we have ever had. And we have been to Sonoma County several times.
BigAg95
AG
I lurk on a few wine forums, and every so often we get a storage thread. Inevitably, almost everyone agrees and commands that you must keep your wine at 55 degrees year round at all costs or all of it will be ruined immediately.

Does everyone here adhere to that?

I outgrew my wine fridge and now store my wine on a rack in my basement, and have done so for 4+ years, and have had zero ill effects (so far). Temps down there range from low 60s to about 72, with slow seasonal shifts (e.g. it's at its coldest March-June, creeping up a degree or two per month over the summer, then it starts going back down in October or November). Humidity stays between 55-65%. If these storage conditions have any impact, I expect it will be that wines may peak a bit sooner than they would if I had them in a fridge. In fact, that is what I am hoping for and betting on!

I've had probably 10-12 bottles that have spent 3-4 years in my rack, and many more that were down there for 1-2 years. So I only have anecdotal evidence so far, but I am very happy with results so far. The true test will come circa 2025 when I get into my 2010 Barolos and Brunellos!
htxag09
AG
My very uneducated opinion is there are a lot of things that ruin way. Heat, temp swings, vibration, light, etc.

I mean, ideal world you'd leave it in a dark place, at a constant temp. But I believe having it in a basement, assuming it's not under stairs or something, where it's dark, no drastic temp swings, and stays pretty cool year round, is 100% acceptable.
cecil77
AG
You're fine. Unless you're going 15+ years. The 12 degree temperature swing would be the only concern, but as long as the changes are slow, it should be ok. As long as you're comfortable, the wine is. Under say 75 degrees. No sunlight. Stable temperature. Not super low humidity. My recommendation is the bottom of your bedroom closet. In addition to the above, you aren't as tempted to drink it as your 2nd (or 3rd) bottle on a good Saturday night!
BSD
AG
Summer vacation wines so far (don't worry, I've had a lot of help drinking these):

Not pictured:
2014 Ancillary Sun Chase Whole Cluster Pinot
2012 Realm Dr Crane
2012 Myriad Elysian
gigemags87
AG
To celebrate the last week of our 30th anniversary year. Way better than I expected.

BSD
AG
Wow. Those were the good ole days of silver oak. That was the first red wine I ever liked (1995 AV). It set me on a wonderful journey.
First Page Last Page
Page 184 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.