Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,260,655 Views | 10413 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by QBCade
cecil77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In for the October 21 Realm event in Houston.
BSD
AG
cecil77 said:

In for the October 21 Realm event in Houston.

I look forward to seeing you!
cecil77
AG
FIFY

I look forward to meeting you!
ILikeTacos
AG
In for Oct. 23rd in Dallas.
JM04
AG
Looking to pull the trigger on the Realm houston event. Have you guys been and can give me an idea on what to expect?
Cyp0111
I plan on going to Realm Houston
htxag09
AG
I'll be at the houston event as well.
BSD
AG
cecil77 said:

FIFY

I look forward to meeting you!

Nah, I've known you since 9/29/11 (page one).
cecil77
AG
But I don't believe we've ever met in person, right? That's what I meant...
BSD
AG
cecil77 said:

But I don't believe we've ever met in person, right? That's what I meant...

Thus the winky face!
big-ag
AG
Any suggestions for the Portland area? Headed there for a few days in September.
HTownAg98
Last night's wines:

cecil77
AG
It's cool to see clones denoted on the label!
MooreTrucker
AG
cecil77 said:

What's a clone and what do those designations mean?
htxag09
AG
MooreTrucker said:

cecil77 said:

What's a clone and what do those designations mean?
Clones are variations of a varietal. In this example, they are two different clones (variations) of Syrah. The designation simply mean the percent makeup of each clone in this bottle.

Most people plant clones for different attributes such as a heartier growing vine, earlier ripening, resistant to mildew, etc., but they can also have some different flavor profiles.
cecil77
AG
Clonal characteristics are becoming as important as varietal characteristics.

Most of the well known international grape varieties (basically anything you've ever heard of) have numerous clones. As Htown mentioned, farming differences are one thing. More and more though it's phenolic development (flavor differences) that are the most important. The French have made an industry out of it: ENTAV-INRA.

At the Houston Taste of Howell Mountain, several producers stressed which clones of Cab Sauv they grow. No longer can you just say "it's Cabernet Sauvignon", it is becoming little more descriptive than "robust red wine".

Grape vines will clone every twenty years or so. There are undoubtedly hundreds (or thousands) of clones for a given grape variety around the world. And since you can't reverse determine a clone, must will be forever unknown. Indeed it is my opinion that much of the "I can taste the terroir" is in actuality tasting differences in clones.

Scroll through this list of Cabernet Sauvignon clones compiled by UC-Davis: Grape Variety: Cabernet Sauvignon It's pretty fascinating...

Here's a winery which shows the clones it uses and their characteristics: BELL CABERNET SAUVIGNON CLONES
BullSprig07
AG
It's fun to hear stories about where certain more known clones actually came from. Like the Pisoni Pinot Noir clone and a story about a long-haired California farmer/aspiring winemaker and his midnight trip to a certain famous Domaine in Burgundy and some vine cuttings that may have spent some time in his underwear on a transatlantic flight.
BullSprig07
AG

nm
cecil77
AG
Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
How would y'all recommend start buying wines to "collect" and cellar? I don't mean collect in the sense to resale, but collect good wine to drink at a later date. I usually just buy bottles at a time so should I just buy a case of stuff I like? Join a wine club of my favorite vineyards?
cecil77
AG
All of the above. And just have fun with with it. Of course you have to drink a lot of wine to figure out what you want to save.

You can be organized, like specializing in a grape or a region. Or just scattershoot. Keep an eye out for sales (most of mine is Total Wine or HEB) and then buy a few extra bottles to put back. Wine clubs are fine, but can be a little limiting in a way.
Thriller
AG
Anyone have suggestions on full-size free standing wine fridge/cellar? We are doing a complete remodel of the main floor of our house and have space for a 24" W-class wine fridge in our catering area/butler's pantry.

Our designer put a SubZero fridge in there, but I can go much cheaper and not have a problem with it. This will not be in the main traffic area so won't be a visual feature or a conversation piece. My wife has shown interest in the one below. Primary reasons include the horizontal storage with label view and the sliding racks with individual bottle holders.

Thoughts on this one, or other similar units?

https://www.costco.com/Wine-Enthusiast-155-Bottle-Wine-Cellar-with-VinoView-Shelving.product.100483044.html
htxag09
AG
We have an N'Finity that I bought through wine enthusiast about 5 years ago. No complaints to this point, but if I were to replace it, I'd probably just get a EuroCave.

Either way, the one you pictures is awesome looking, but I'd imagine you lose storage space with that layout/presentation of bottles.
Austintm
Bought a couple of these -- have them side by side. Very nice units with a lot of storage

https://www.costco.com/Wine-Enthusiast-Giant-300-Bottle-Wine-Cellar-with-VinoView-Shelving.product.100378590.html

cecil77
AG
My only advice is that if you get one with square "slots" make sure that they fit modern Bordeaux style bottles. I have a great chiller/cellar, but the traditional size shreds the labels on lots of bottles.
Thriller
AG
Thanks - we are looking at EuroCave as well, but my wife isn't a fan of just looking at the butts (or tops) of bottles in general.

This allows me to get a fridge/cellar, doesn't break the bank, and she's happy with it.

Cecil makes a good point below about different size bottles. I need to look at that some more before I order.
Thriller
AG
I liked that one too and it was my first choice. It's about 2-3 inches too wide for the space we have planned, unfortunately.
HTownAg98
cecil77 said:

My only advice is that if you get one with square "slots" make sure that they fit modern Bordeaux style bottles. I have a great chiller/cellar, but the traditional size shreds the labels on lots of bottles.

Mine does that a little as well. I just turn the bottles sideways so it's glass on wood.
MooreTrucker
AG
I may try turning the bottles. As it is, it's like working a puzzle to get the bottles all to fit. Four on some shelves, five on others. And three on the bottom and only two on the top where the temp display is.
cecil77
AG
HTownAg98 said:

cecil77 said:

Mine does that a little as well. I just turn the bottles sideways so it's glass on wood

Yeah, me as well. Although on mine its the metal strapping that forms the shelves I have to avoid. The corders of each slot are wood, so I need glass on metal. Even then many "weaponized" bottle that are so popular now are going to get scuffed. Not a huge problem and I'll likely never sell anything.
BullSprig07
AG
I always look forward to working the Turley bottles into the puzzle, said no on ever.
cecil77
AG
Anyone fool around blending wines you drink? I've just started. Found that some of the (for me) too fruity/oaky Napa cabs can be improved by adding a different wine.

HEB has the 2013 Kuntz Family Stagecoach Vineyard Cab for $40 (after discount). It's a really nicely structured wine with nice spice and the fruit and oak are muted. I've mixed it (about 50/50) w/ some of those fruit bombs and to me, both are improved!

Any suggestions?

Just another way to have fun with wine...
htxag09
AG
cecil77 said:

Anyone fool around blending wines you drink? I've just started. Found that some of the (for me) too fruity/oaky Napa cabs can be improved by adding a different wine.

HEB has the 2013 Kuntz Family Stagecoach Vineyard Cab for $40 (after discount). It's a really nicely structured wine with nice spice and the fruit and oak are muted. I've mixed it (about 50/50) w/ some of those fruit bombs and to me, both are improved!

Any suggestions?

I was just joking to my wife with this. She was mad at me for not having a rose in the cellar for national rose day. I told her to blend a red and white. I then asked, more seriously, why shouldn't we try blending wines?
aggiecive
AG
Sounds like a solid deflection
Austintm
cecil77 said:

Any suggestions?

Yes. Suggest buying wine you like instead of blending wine you like with wine you don't like
First Page Last Page
Page 183 of 298

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.