Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,283,749 Views | 10513 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by bularry
wadd96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We'll be over in a few minutes.

132 pending delivery? You bought 11 cases in Napa? Wow. Balla!

And thanks for the birthday wishes.
wadd96
AG
Oh, and BSD... if all goes according to plan, #40 will be the day after my wedding... And I could choose from the '08 J Garrett Cab, the '08 Frank Family Winston Hill, or the '08 Reynolds Reserve Cab...
BSD
AG
Go big on 40! Try a 40 year old Sauternes.

And interestingly, we had a 2005 J Garrett tonight.
wadd96
AG
Yeah, but was your J Garrett signed? ;-)

"Today, we showed the resolve of the United States. Today we made a statement to the world... That you can hit us, you can knock us down, but we're gonna get up. And when we do, we will find you and kick your ass!"
- Robert E Clark II, Cpt USN, Commandant of Midshipmen May 1, 2011
BSD
AG
Ha, long story but it doesn't need to be signed.
wadd96
AG
Ha... yeah... doesn't need to be signed but is nice that it is. Brian gave us ours for an engagement gift, along with a bottle of the new Gratitude of Fives Petit Syrah. ;-)

"Today, we showed the resolve of the United States. Today we made a statement to the world... That you can hit us, you can knock us down, but we're gonna get up. And when we do, we will find you and kick your ass!"
BSD
AG
Oh, I didn't mean I don't like signed bottles, I think those are great and love the personal touch. I just know the family on a more personal level.
cecil77
AG
quote:
Try a 40 year old Sauternes.

You offering? I'll bring the goose liver and Sauternes stems!
BSD
AG
I'm not the old man turning 40 next year!
BSD
AG
Today's wines:

2009 Zichichi zin (dry creek valley)
2006 Zichichi cab (napa)
2005 Ramian J Garrett cab
2007 Beringer cab (Knights valley Sonoma)
2009 Rockpile petite sirah (madrone spring vineyard)
2008 Cameron Hughes Lot 100 Napa cab
2008 Joel Gott 814 cab
2010 Duckhorn Decoy cab Napa
2009 Keating zin
2010 Keating zin

And a Pliny to finish the night. So we cleared out 10 bottles...only 122 more to go to call it a wash!

[This message has been edited by Bsd (edited 11/4/2012 10:19p).]
cecil77
AG
quote:
I'm not the old man turning 40 next year!

I turn 60 in 14 months. Think you can round up a '54 Y'Quem?

Oh, and two questions:

How many people is a "we" above?

And, Joel Gott seems a little beneath your normal standards? I have a signed magnum of that wine. Won it at an event.

[This message has been edited by cecil77 (edited 11/5/2012 6:58a).]
BSD
AG
Don’t see a ’54 but I can get you a ’53 for $1250…plus my finder’s fee of one glass!

Yesterday we had another couple and their kids over to have lunch and watch the Texans…so at first there were 4 of us.  Then around dinner time they left and 2 other couples heard we were having wine and watching the Cowboys so they showed up.  It wasn’t too crazy of a night. 

The Joel Gott 815 (not 814 as I had typed) was pretty good at that price point.  His dad, Cary, makes some other wines we drink so I’m sure he had some good guidance growing up. 

AlexSAWineguy
AG
BSD, killed a few braincells this weekend. Latest vintage of Fourteen Appelations (08') was very good. Also tried out a IGT called "Collazzi(08')" that over performed for the price point. Ever had Laird?
HTownAg98
I picked up a bottle of 2009 Chateau Pezat this weekend. This is definitely a terrior-driven Bordeaux, and should be had with a grilled steak. For $18, you could do a whole lot worse from Bordeaux, and it's a good wine to taste and see what Bordeaux is like without breaking the bank.
cecil77
AG
Drank a 2008 Rombauer Napa cab last night. Not expecting anything special, it's a $33-ish bottle from H.E.B. and not rated that I can find. But my goodness it good. Very drinkable right now. Just tannic enough but very smooth. It really opened up after about half an hour. Much better than I expected...
Agustus Caesar
AG
had 2007 mondavi stags leap cab. very soft. can't remember how much, it comes in a wine club shipment we started when we first got into wine 4 years ago.
had with filet topped with mushroom demi and asparagus.
wadd96
AG
So... do I break out the juice or the corn tonight?

BSD
AG
quote:
BSD, killed a few braincells this weekend. Latest vintage of Fourteen Appelations (08') was very good. Also tried out a IGT called "Collazzi(08')" that over performed for the price point. Ever had Laird?

Funny you mention 14 Apps...it's about to be 15 Apps per Steve Reynolds at dinner two weeks ago.

Never had Laird (I don't think so anyways)
Agustus Caesar
AG
napa now has 15 apps, so that would make sense.
dermdoc
AG
Very nice Hanna 07 can with a Shula's steak last night in Birmingham Alabama.

Fixing to head to Tuscaloosa.

BTHO bama!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Agustus Caesar
AG
Bourbon and soda last night with hot fries!

Fixin' to head to tailgate in T-town!
dermdoc
AG
Steaks with Caymus cab tonight.

BTHO Sam Houston state!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BSD
AG
We're all up in da club celebrating'

BSD
AG
After the game last night, we hopped in a taxi (who i had waiting 20 minutes so i could finish watching) and headed out to the Howell Mountain tasting.  Lots of good wines were poured, mostly Cabs, with a few zins, one merlot, and one port.  Below is a list of wineries that I tasted:

Aloft - good Thomas Brown made wine.  Pretty pricey at $150 so I doubt I'll be a buyer there
Arkenstone - good white and blend but they didn't pour the estate cab, which is what I was hoping to try
Cakebread - drinkable cab but not worth the $125 tariff
Cimarrosa - one of my favorites of the night.  They had 2 single vineyards and then a blend of those 2.
Cornerstone - the 1994 cab was awesome!
Haber Family - very young cab but seems like it could be better down the road 
John Robert Eppler (also poured Press Cellars) - good wine and an Ag was pouring so that was a fun table
Lamborn - awesome as always, need to order more.  Perhaps the nicest family in Napa!
La Jota - solid cab and merlot.
Notre Vin - really good cab
Outpost - no cabs tonight but it's zin was the best there
Piña - solid cab
Summit Lake - only had the port which was ok

There really wasn't a bad wine poured last night.  I wish I had another hour there to revisit some wines and hit the two tables I missed.

After the tasting, we went out on the town and met up with some friends and drank a little Perrier Jouet. Good juice, Ags btho Bama...what a perfect day.

[This message has been edited by Bsd (edited 11/11/2012 9:01a).]
wadd96
AG
Punished 4 more bottles last night during dinner...

2010 Vision White Wine
2010 Ledson Sauvignon Blanc
2007 Mayo Alecante Bouchet
2005 Reynolds Naughty Inky

All preceeded by a nice celebratory shot of Ranger Creek .36 Small Batch Bourbon.

AlexSAWineguy
AG
To celebrate the win, I cracked a 07 Orion...smoking good. Unfortunately it was my only bottle.
cecil77
AG
HEB here had 20% off per case, and you can mix all you want. So I got:

9ea 2009 Ferrari Carrano Cab - great everyday wine
2ea. 2009 Stag's Leap Artemis
1 ea. 2008 Joseph Phelps Insignia - a 97 point Parker wine. Will have to hang on to it for a decade before drinking, thogh...
dermdoc
AG
Just got my Behrens shipment.
HTownAg98
Did that include the 120/80? That's my favorite "value cult cab" if there is such a thing.
BSD
AG
Just ordered the 2010 Lewelling cabs (Wight vineyard and the regular bottling).
Atty_Ag
What did the Artemis and Insignia end up costing you? I just bought some Artemis at Costco for around $40.
cecil77
AG
Artemis $34.39

Insignia $129.59
Atty_Ag
Thanks. Those are good prices. You have to love the case discount.
BSD
AG
Had a shipment come in today.

cecil77
AG
Need any help?!!
First Page Last Page
Page 15 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.