Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,276,206 Views | 10508 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by QBCade
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anniversary/ Easter wine

cheeky
AG
BSD said:

The Crow has landed!

And yet I'm just up the road from you and my order was placed on weather delay, along with VHR. Doesn't make sense.
JMC04
AG
cecil77 said:

Quote:

ICeledon had worked with California-based consultant Paul Hobbs at his previous winery, the domestic Chilean giant Via San Pedro. With Hobbs' help, he spent two months in Napa Valley, working in To Kalon vineyard. The lessons have stayed with him.

"I saw all these things we were doing in Chile on expensive wines, they were not doing," Celedon says. "Like [we were leaving] one bunch per vine [for more concentration]. They spent much time in the vineyard. They didn't use as much heavy-toasted oak."

Quote:

Another Napa bashing article...yay.

Actually it discussed both good and bad of what Napa and Chile have been doing. Not all bashing. But even if it is, I guess it's just a counter to yet another Napa "Wow!" wine pic, right?

And we've been going through a few St Emilion ourselves. I find myself really liking them right now. IMO some of the best value right now is a $30-60 Bordeaux..
Really enjoy the articles, keep em coming!

Any Bordeaux recs in that $30-$60 range? I just ordered my first right bank wine from winex.com, 2015 Ch Baleau. Had some nice scores for $23, so I decided to give it a shot. Hopefully it's nothing like the soulless Cali Merlots.

Would love to try some left bank stuff
FarmerJohn
AG
I'm headed to Napa in under a month and most trips I stay close to the valley floor. Thinking about exploring Howell mountain a little this trip, maybe a day of it. In reading through this thread there are a few places mentioned (CADE, Outpost) but what would be a couple good places to try and schedule a visit? Keep in mind I know very little about the region. I'm also not that top tier wine consumer. We have spent $100 on a bottle of wine at a winery. We have not spent $200. But I'm not going to the castle either.
BSD
AG
I love Lamborn. If I was still a drinker, I'd be buying their zins and cabs. It's a great visit on the patio of their home over looking the mountains. And the big dogs are friendly as well.
BSD
AG
Have you thought about Spring Mountain one day as well? Pride, Berhens, etc.
aggiejumper
AG
Dunn and Black Sears are great older wineries. Outpost is great to but in its own way. Cade is more newer Napa contemporary feel for wine tourists, in my opinion.

None of those comments reflect the wines themselves but rather the wineries. It's worth it to head up Howell mtn if you can.
cecil77
AG
If you do Spring Mountain, Sherwin Family is great.
FarmerJohn
AG
We thought about those other places but most of our trips, including this one, are for a couple days and we have to pick and choose. This is our fifth trip to the region and we have spent slightly more time in Sonoma. Howell mountain just appears a little different than the rest of the valley. Further north but enough production that there is a "style". Or so I would think. That's why we're going. I think it is unlikely that we spend a second day on a Napa region this trip. But who knows, so I appreciate all tips.
HTownAg98
For Howell Mountain, we made a day of going to Burgess, Viadare, Dunn, and Neal. Outpost and O'Shaunessey are good too. There are no restaurants in Anguin, so either bring a picnic with you or prepare to go back into Saint Helena for lunch.
aggiecive
AG
Has anyone tried Smith Story wines?
cecil77
AG
I'll pass, some along as we drink them...

2014 Chateau Larrivet Haut Brion. Forty bucks at Total Wine
Cyp0111
Amizetta is my favorite on Howell mtn
Tumble Weed
FarmerJohn said:

We thought about those other places but most of our trips, including this one, are for a couple days and we have to pick and choose. This is our fifth trip to the region and we have spent slightly more time in Sonoma. Howell mountain just appears a little different than the rest of the valley. Further north but enough production that there is a "style". Or so I would think. That's why we're going. I think it is unlikely that we spend a second day on a Napa region this trip. But who knows, so I appreciate all tips.
We are heading to the Sonoma region next weekend. It will be our first trip. I prefer small wineries and like to spend $50 a bottle but I am not sure that I will be able to drink at this price point. What were your favorite places in Sonoma?
HTownAg98
BR Cohn, Imagery, Kunde, Schug, Loxton, B. Wise, and Ledson should all be within your budget.
turfman80
AG
Also check out Little Vineyards, close to BR Cohn. Roger Roessler tasting room near the Sonoma square was also nice and is popular with the locals.
jh0400
AG
If you're venturing into northern Sonoma County there are a lot of good wineries north of Santa Rosa. Arista is worth a visit as is Davis Family. There is a co-op tasting room in Healdsburg called Hudson Street Wineries that has wines from six or seven Sonoma County and Lake County wineries. Some of the wines aren't that great, but there are lots of good values there.

Kunde is worth the visit further south. One day I want to go back and do their mountain top tasting.
Tumble Weed
Many thanks to all for the suggestions. I am putting together an unofficial TexAgs Wino Google Map so that I can plot out my course from my Airbnb rental.

I have a rental car, but am considering using Uber to reduce my risk on the road. Has anyone used Uber or Lyft while in Sonoma? Do they have very good coverage in the region?
HTownAg98
I would imagine that they have decent coverage especially on a weekend. It may also be worth just hiring a driver for the day.
HTownAg98
Opened a 2014 Benovia La Pommeraie Pinot Noir tonight. It is still an amazingly layered and structured Pinot worth seeking out. It will remind you of Cote du Beaune Premier Cru Burgundy for about 1/3 of the price.
HTownAg98
And, we opened a 2012 Burgess Napa Valley Cabernet tonight (I've got a case of wine that I don't have room for, so I'm making room). It's really Howell Mountain, but can't call it that because rules. Deep, dark, and brooding, but a little one-dimensional. But $40 for Howell Mountain fruit makes it a steal.
FarmerJohn
AG
Exported from a running Google doc we have. This list started 4 years ago and our tastes have changed since then. The lower on the list, the more recent.

• Sonoma County (roughly in geographic order N to S. Approx 40 min drive from furthest points)
  • - Sbragia (DC): North of Healdsburg in Dry Creek- ok but wouldn't go back. I think we bought a Merlot here. There was also a snake on the patio.
    - Papapietro Perry (DC): Near Dry Creek. This is in a little group at the top of a hill that is almost an
    industrial park of wineries. Papapietro is known for their Pinot Noirs (as is much of Sonoma). There is no ambiance or impressive tasting room, but great wines. It is the more casual wine country that is Sonoma. We didn't try any of the others that shared this parking lot.
  • - Truett-hurst (DC)- Another Dry Creek- great place to linger. Start your tasting and then sip as you wal
    down through the garden to the river. They also had some tables outside if you wanted to bring a snack/lunch. Tastings was a set number, you pick what you want to taste. Very casual. Would definitely go back to this place. But you go because it is fun. I wouldn't call the wine memorable.
  • - J. Winery (DC): Just south of Healdsburg. A sparkling wine place in the Dry creek area (abt 45 min
    drive from Sonoma). They have a lot of other type too and at this point are about 50-50 sparkling and
    still. They have some unusual varieties and are generally well put together. There really wasn't a "wow", but was very solid. We liked Domaine Carneros' sparklings better but J did make a great chardonnay.
  • - Arista(RR): In the elbow of the Russian River as it turns towards the Pacific- south of Healdsburg. Another Pinot house, but what Papapietro lacks in scenery, this has it. The tasting room is a Japanese type guest house with a formal Japanese garden around it. A great place for lunch. Now getting there is a bit of a long drive down a winding road, but I liked that. Again, mostly Pinot and they don't grow it themselves. I would look into pairing it with another winery in the area. It is fun as you feel like you are discovering something.

• - Iron Horse (Green Valley AVA): They are doing more pinot noir than I remember from our first visit
    year ago. They have also become quite proud of their wine. Open tasting room that is all outside and was
    quite busy. Still make some great wine though. I just don't think it's worth the price you pay.

• - Dutton Goldfield (Green Valley): near Graton. Would have been a fantastic tasting if it weren't for the
    loud obnoxious guy from Dallas that was parked next to us at the bar. I'd go back. The wine is good.
    Open tasting room.

• -Siduri(RR)- just north of Santa Rosa - liked everything we tasted. Not glamorous. In a warehouse area in
    Santa Rosa.

• -Martinelli(RR) also just north of Santa Rosa- tasting room in a barn like building. Loved it. Good wine.
    Bought a late harvest. It's going to be really fruit forward, jammy wine.

• - Merry Edwards(RR): Graton- Memorable the first time and legitimately great the second time. No appt
    necessary as they will work you in if you just show up. They had a late harvest Sauv Blanc when we were
    there. Bought a bottle and we are hoarding it.

• - Paul Matthews (RR): Graton. The kind of place that I imagine the locals would go to. Nothing fancy.
    Smaller production volumes. Good wine. Right down the block from Willow Wood Market Caf. Worth a
    stop if you are in the area.

• - Mayo (Sonoma Valley)- bought two zins and a bottle of bubbles- it is a stop on some largish tours. Meh.

• -Loxton (Sonoma Valley) immediately north of Glen Ellen- great Australian style Zins and Syrahs
    warehouse tasting room.

• -Buena Vista (Sonoma Valley) just east of Sonoma - the oldest winery in California (not continuously
    operating) now owned by Boisset group has numerous Mediterranean & French style wines and
    "champagne" brewed in France sold in California in 1880 styled bottles. Father in law joined wine club but cancelled.
  • -Benziger & Imagery (Sonoma Mountain & Sonoma Valley)- sister wineries; Benziger- tram tour was
    fun. Chardonnay was our favorite. Reds were very dry. Some good tannins. Not our favorite. Benziger
    claims their reds are lower in sulfites since they do not sulfur wash the grapes. Imagery - nice bocce and
    outdoor area. Could do a picnic. Loved the variety of wine. Viognier was great. I don't know that I would recommend either as a must stop. Enjoyed Imagery more.
  • - Kivelstadt Cellars:- in Glen Ellen. Light zin. Orange wine. Very unique. Overall much lighter and
    brighter wines. Think of it as the experimental folks.
  • -Fulcrum: in the Sonoma square has some tasty reds but most need FOOD. For the price stick with
    Domaine Carneros or Pappapietro Perry. Good for a tasting when walking the square.
  • -Roche: Right off the Sonoma Square next to Girl & the Fig. They have a dangerously easy drinking
    pinot. Nice garden. Easy place to get a little cheese & crackers to go with the wine.
  • -Gundlach Bundschu: just SE of Sonoma the oldest continuously operating winery in Sonoma. Family
    owned. Nice lake picnic tables outside DOES NOT comp tastings with purchase of bottles. Been
    here once and won't go back. Quality is not commensurate with tourist appeal.
Tumble Weed
Thank you for the detailed notes FarmerJohn. Only on texags do you get wine tasting notes and a warning about a snake on the patio! It is also funny that you noted an obnoxious guy from Dallas. I think that I ran into him while in Fredericksburg. He seems to make the rounds.

I think that I will skip gunbun and benzinger.
Looking for more relaxed and low key.
Tumble Weed
We are back from California. Here are my sober tasting notes.

Hopped off the plane in Oakland and we were starving. Stopped at a winery called Viansa to get a bite to eat. The best meal that we had while in California, washed it down with a Cab Franc and a Primitivo. Solid commercial type primitivo and cab franc.

Next stop was B.R. Cohn
Bought a bottle of 97 and some olive oil from them. Solid reds, nice people. He gave me a $125 discount on the 97. Cool old olive grove. Will go back.

Dined at the Swiss Hotel Sonoma . Really good crab cake and fried oyster there. The rest of it was not memorable.

Next day we went and hiked in the Jack London State Park . Highlight of the trip. After 6 miles of hiking I was thirsty and we went to Kunde . Zins were good, service was excellent. Did the cave tour and drank half a bottle on the patio. She gave us two free tastings. I bet their Mountaintop tour is cool, but I wouldn't pay $60 a person so I guess I will never know.

Time for a stop at Imagery . Cool vibe, not as stuffy as some of the others. They were playing Green Day on the speakers outside and had a couple of cornhole games set up and the bocce court. Had a picnic type snack on the lawn with a Mourvedre and a Malbec. Smooth wines, easy finish. Just a cool place to stop.

Last winery stop for the day at Little Vineyards . Nice people, great service. Right next door to B. R. Cohn. Bought a bottle for a picnic for the next day.

Went out to eat at Maya on the Sonoma square. Don't ever eat Mexican food when you are out of state.

On the next morning we drank a couple of expressos and headed to Sugarloaf State Park and hiked a couple of trails. Part of this park has been hit by the wildfires.

Wanted to go to B. Wise, but it was Saturday and it was overrun. Not going to fight the crowds for wine so we headed to Ledson . My least favorite stop.

I wanted to try something new so we headed north. After getting shot down at Fritz (they had a private party) I started meandering around and found Trione . Trione had the best wine that we found while in California. Even their red blends were good. Sauv blanc and Syrah had a unique taste between the vintages. Good value for the $. Will probably order some wine and have it shipped in.

On Trione's recommendation we found Stuhlmuller and closed out the day there. I like trying to find the small places and this was off the beaten path.

There were many places that I wanted to go, but could not due to time constraints and weekend crowds. I guess that I will have to hit them next time. Thanks to all for the recommendations.

Cyp0111
Good information.

In that region I would also heavily recommend Repris, Hamel, Hawkes (on Sonoma Square). Petroni is just okay.

My next trip will be Healdsburg north.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Good Mexican food exists outside of Texas. If you think it does not, then maybe the problem is that you do not like Mexican food, but instead prefer Tex-Mex.
Tumble Weed
Fair enough. I will expand my territory and say "Don't eat Mexican food outside of Texas or Mexico."
ILikeTacos
AG
Leaving tomorrow on a jet plane to Napa for 4 days, but life and work has been hectic for us so only have a few things planned. Let us know some vineyards to drop in at, and if any meal plans look like they suck!

Going to take some friends to Del Dotto to get them drunk, we got a suggestion for a place called Peju? Don't know anything about them, Realm tasting on Friday, and staying the night at Jordan on Saturday (this I am excited about). No other vineyards planned at all...

Food reservations so far:

-Wed dinner: Bistro Jeanty (never been, any good?)
-Thursday lunch: Cliff Family Vineyard food truck? (never been, also on recommendation)
-Thursday Dinner: French Laundry
-Friday Lunch: Addendum Fried Chicken
Saturday Dinner: Vallet in Healdsburg (Also never been, any good?)
jh0400
AG
Looks like a good trip. Jeanty is awesome, and I'm jealous about French Laundry. That's a bucket list place for me.
BSD
AG
Get the tomato soup at Jeanty.
bjh19
AG
headed back in early June, friend of ours who we have gone with before recommend Chase and Staglin. Been to Spring and Howell mountain; both great. Staying in Yountville but man, seems like the hotel rates go up each time we are there. It is getting pricey.
HTownAg98
BSD said:

And the coq au vin.
HTownAg98
bjh19 said:

headed back in early June, friend of ours who we have gone with before recommend Chase and Staglin. Been to Spring and Howell mountain; both great. Staying in Yountville but man, seems like the hotel rates go up each time we are there. It is getting pricey.

I'm telling everyone that wants to go to wine country now to skip Napa and Sonoma and head to Paso Robles and Santa Barbara.
BSD
AG
HTownAg98 said:

BSD said:

And the coq au vin.

Add the vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce with a shot of Armagnac on it and you've got my go-to meal!
HTownAg98
Swap the Armagnac with a rum, and I'm there.
First Page Last Page
Page 148 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.