Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,283,829 Views | 10513 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by bularry
Cyp0111
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm getting close to that point. However, I do want to venture north into Russian River/Dry Creek out of Healdburg once.

Where would you recommend in Paso Robles and/or Santa Barbara.
ILikeTacos
AG
Bistro Jeanty was nails tonight, that tomato soup was great.
HTownAg98
Cyp0111 said:

I'm getting close to that point. However, I do want to venture north into Russian River/Dry Creek out of Healdburg once.

Where would you recommend in Paso Robles and/or Santa Barbara.

Here's my list for Paso, in no particular order:
Adelaida
Booker
Thatcher
Paix Sur Terre
Clos Solene
Daou
Epoch
Law
Linne Calodo
Denner
TH Wines (Terry Hoage)
L'Aventure
Halter Ranch
Herman Story
Paso Underground (It's a tasting room in Paso that has four wineries in it. They are all good.)
Anything in Tin City. There's about a dozen wineries in there, and they are all very good.
Taste in the Alley is a wine bar one block off the square. They will pour anything on the wall by the glass. Larry and Kitty are awesome people to just sit and talk Paso wine with. We went every night we were there.

If you go and want to bring wine back, arrange your shipping beforehand. Trust me on this.
awesome sauce
AG
HTownAg98 said:

If you go and want to bring wine back, arrange your shipping beforehand. Trust me on this.

Can you explain more about this?
HTownAg98
There aren't any facilities in town that will ship wine back for you. Herman Story will do it if you buy wine from them and they aren't too busy. There were two places in town that would do it last year, but they no longer are doing it.
cecil77
AG
If their is a corporate (not franchised) UPS or Fedex you can ship wine to yourself.
cheeky
AG
HTownAg98 said:

There aren't any facilities in town that will ship wine back for you. Herman Story will do it if you buy wine from them and they aren't too busy. There were two places in town that would do it last year, but they no longer are doing it.
Is Stagecoach one of them? Used them many times in the past
HTownAg98
No, it was Safe Haven and UPS. Stagecoach is in Napa.
cecil77
AG
If you're in your own car, just buy the wine, take it to UPS and ship it to yourself. Completely legal.
cheeky
AG
HTownAg98 said:

No, it was Safe Haven and UPS. Stagecoach is in Napa.
Guess I should read before I post. I assumed it was Napa.
ILikeTacos
AG
This trip has been nothing short of amazing, from Peju opening early for us, to the French laundry pulling out all the stops and Thomas Keller signing our menus, to Juan Mercado giving us the tour and opening 5 freaking bottles at Realm and getting toasty with us, but so far the best has been getting to stay a night at Jordan. We are here now and I am blown away and can't recommend it more to folks. Let's see if this Instagram thingy works, my wife is better at this stuff!

https://instagr.am/p/BiaiFskHLurI2jmmbTQ0iIhY0E0NvcWZwTRfZI0

I will put together Trip notes tomorrow as we stumbled onto some neat food things that maybe not everyone knows about!

bularry
last week was my trip out to Cali for wine visits

2 days in Healdsburg followed by 2 days staying near Plymouth in Amador county.

I don't post pictures and didn't really go anywhere people have likely heard of, so no sense going into a bunch of wine detail, but some random thoughts others might find interesting.

1) Definitely go to Valette for a nice dinner in Healdsburg. Stellar service. For more casual, went to Campo Fino for the first time and really liked it, too. Great patio and excellent food. It ain't cheap, but hard to beat Healdsburg as a wine-centric vacation destination.

2) Plymouth and surrounding areas are considered "next big wine area" of Cali by some. Seems to be lots of tourist traffic on weekends, I'd assume from Sacramento area mostly. Some said "Like Sonoma was 10 or 15 years ago". I'd say more like 25 years ago. Had some really bad wine - awful sweetness in many, but hey, a lot of tastings are free so there is that.

3) Despite my notes in 2, there is some awesome wine being made out in El Dorado and Amador AVA's, too. Gotta go small to find it in most cases.

4) Early May trip - weather was absolutely perfect. Sunny and highs in upper 70's every day. Ideal.

5) Skinner tasting room's views are as good as I've seen. Could see snow in Sierra Nevada mountains in the far distance. Stunning.

If anyone has a question on Healdsburg or Amador County, I'll try to answer!
FarmerJohn
AG
Quote:

I don't post pictures and didn't really go anywhere people have likely heard of
On this thread, there are probably 3 people that have already been there.

Headed to Healdsburg this weekend myself.
bularry
FarmerJohn said:

Quote:

How is forecast? Hope you get as lucky as we did. I meant wineries when I said "anywhere people have heard of"
FarmerJohn
AG
Weather is going to be fantastic, but there is an Ironman triathlon in the Santa Rosa to Lake Sonoma area on Saturday. Hopefully the bike ride doesn't jam things up too bad. Maybe I can burn calories watching someone else exercise.
bularry
FarmerJohn said:

Weather is going to be fantastic, but there is an Ironman triathlon in the Santa Rosa to Lake Sonoma area on Saturday. Hopefully the bike ride doesn't jam things up too bad. Maybe I can burn calories watching someone else exercise.
Watching is my favorite form of exercise! watching and drinking!
BSD
AG
FarmerJohn said:

Quote:

An espresso at Flying Goat Coffee is the perfect way to start the day.
jh0400
AG
This man speaks the truth.
bularry
BSD said:

FarmerJohn said:

Quote:

An espresso at Flying Goat Coffee is the perfect way to start the day.
yep, went both mornings I was in town and bought beans to take to our airbnb house the following days
BSD
AG
My wife and I split a half bottle of 2013 Hobel cab the other night. After a two hour decant, it was quite nice.
MooreTrucker
AG
BSD said:

My wife and I split a half bottle of 2013 Hobel cab the other night. After a two hour decant, it was quite nice.
We can never wait for a two-hour decant.....
HTownAg98
That's why you have a bottle of something that doesn't need decanting beforehand.
MooreTrucker
AG
HTownAg98 said:

That's why you have a bottle of something that doesn't need decanting beforehand.
I don't drink that cheap crap.
ILikeTacos
AG
MooreTrucker said:

HTownAg98 said:

Well that makes one of us.
MooreTrucker
AG
Screw top or Box?
ILikeTacos
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Screw top or Box?
cecil77
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Screw top or Box?

That's what she said...
MooreTrucker
bularry
MooreTrucker said:

HTownAg98 said:

If I think a bottle "needs" decanting, I don't open it. nothing to do with cheap or not.

bularry
I've been told to visit Anderson Valley. So if you are looking to visit north of Healdsburg (and like pinot and syrah)
MooreTrucker
AG
bularry said:

MooreTrucker said:

HTownAg98 said:

If I think a bottle "needs" decanting, I don't open it. nothing to do with cheap or not.

Decanting is a good thing. I am not usually patient enough to wait two hours.
HTownAg98
There's a lot of white wines that don't need decanting, and you don't want to do that with bubbly anyway. So if you're going to open something that needs a two hour decant, have something to drink before that too.
cecil77
AG
Quote:

This!

Hang on to it 5-10 more years and it won't need decanting!
bularry
MooreTrucker said:

bularry said:

MooreTrucker said:

HTownAg98 said:

To me, I just don't get much out of decanting. I make a small pour in my glass (3 oz or so) and give it a good hearty swirl and let is sit 5-10 minutes. If inclined, I might put the cork back in the bottle and give it a bit of a shake, but I find that fun and I'm not convinced it does anything to the wine.

MooreTrucker
AG
bularry said:

MooreTrucker said:

bularry said:

MooreTrucker said:

HTownAg98 said:

To me, I just don't get much out of decanting. I make a small pour in my glass (3 oz or so) and give it a good hearty swirl and let is sit 5-10 minutes. If inclined, I might put the cork back in the bottle and give it a bit of a shake, but I find that fun and I'm not convinced it does anything to the wine.

i don't think it does in the short term, but we've had wines where we'd drink a glass one night, and then another glass the next night and there is a noticeable difference (usually for the good).
First Page Last Page
Page 149 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.