Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,259,003 Views | 10397 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by cecil77
HTownAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cyp0111 said:

Is Paso a worthwhile trip? I've done Napa/Sonoma 6 or so times and looking for something different.

Hell yes. It's a longer drive unless you can afford to fly into San Luis Obispo, but there are plenty good wineries to visit. The square in Paso will remind you of Sonoma, but Paso has better restaurants. We got into a couple of places that normally don't take drop-ins (we got to taste at Terry Hoage on a day they were closed because the lady running the tasting room at L'Aventure made a phone call for us) because Paso isn't nearly as cutthroat as Napa has become. There's still a sense of "we don't know exactly what works, so we will all just do something different and see what works" so there's a lot of camaraderie among the winemakers here. That translates into a bunch of "go try this winery, it's little known but awesome" recommendations. If this isn't your style, I understand. But if you're willing to fly by the seat of your pants for a trip, go to Paso.
jrweinberger
For Muscadet, Specs might have some of these I mention below (especially the main Smith St. location in Houston) but I've never had luck with French wines at Total Wine (unless I was looking for Bordeaux). The best examples from Muscadet are most likely going to be found at small independent wine shops that specialize in imported wines. In Houston I would go with Vinology or Houston Wine Merchant, Austin Wine Merchant in Austin, and High Street Wine Company or Joe Saglembini Fine Wines if you are in San Antonio. I don't have as much experience buying wine in Dallas but I've had good experiences finding quality French wines at Pogo's and at Bar and Garden.

For classic Muscadet, my favorites are Domaine de la Pepiere and Domaine Pierre Luneau-Papin. Both of their entry level bottles are around $15 and drink like wines that easily cost twice that. Pepiere's "Clos des Briords" and Luneau-Papin's "Clos des Allees" are single vineyard Muscadets that will age and evolve for many, many years and are worth seeking out.

If you are looking for something a bit more esoteric you could try Jo Landron or Domaine de l'Ecu. l'Ecu categories their Muscadets by the type of soil they are grown on (Granite, Gneiss, and Orthogneiss) and Landron's "le Fief du Breil" is a single-vineyard Muscadet that sees up to 24 months of lees contact.

Melon de Bourgogne ages very well. I bought a bottle of Michel Delhommeau's 2000 Clos Armand VV last year and it was a knockout (and also only $35 retail--you can't beat that). Muscadet is still actually cheap enough for you to easily buy 6-12 bottles of and set it down for 10-20 years to see how it ages. Muscadet offers some of the best QPR of any white wine. Cheers!
bularry
Cyp0111 said:

Is Paso a worthwhile trip? I've done Napa/Sonoma 6 or so times and looking for something different.
you should check it out. I'd also look into the Lompoc area, come cool places to stay (including Santa Barbara if the coast is your thing) and some great pinot/chard in the area along with Rhone varietals.

When you say Napa/Sonoma 6 or so times, do you do some of each or go to one exclusively? how long are the trips?

I ask because there are 4 distinct AVA's in Sonoma and then another just north in Mendocino, so potentially you could return to that area and do a completely different visit.
Cyp0111
I've stayed in St. Helena, Yountville, Calistoga and the City of Sonoma. Done the tours of the mountain fruit in Napa, the floor, areas north of City of Sonoma (I love Repris) in addition to Carneros.

I love the area, however, I'm also probably at my limit on larger price point allocations.

Looking for newer, more affordable regions.
Tumble Weed
jrweinberger said:

For Muscadet, Specs might have some of these I mention below (especially the main Smith St. location in Houston) but I've never had luck with French wines at Total Wine (unless I was looking for Bordeaux). The best examples from Muscadet are most likely going to be found at small independent wine shops that specialize in imported wines. In Houston I would go with Vinology or Houston Wine Merchant, Austin Wine Merchant in Austin, and High Street Wine Company or Joe Saglembini Fine Wines if you are in San Antonio. I don't have as much experience buying wine in Dallas but I've had good experiences finding quality French wines at Pogo's and at Bar and Garden.

For classic Muscadet, my favorites are Domaine de la Pepiere and Domaine Pierre Luneau-Papin. Both of their entry level bottles are around $15 and drink like wines that easily cost twice that. Pepiere's "Clos des Briords" and Luneau-Papin's "Clos des Allees" are single vineyard Muscadets that will age and evolve for many, many years and are worth seeking out.

If you are looking for something a bit more esoteric you could try Jo Landron or Domaine de l'Ecu. l'Ecu categories their Muscadets by the type of soil they are grown on (Granite, Gneiss, and Orthogneiss) and Landron's "le Fief du Breil" is a single-vineyard Muscadet that sees up to 24 months of lees contact.

Melon de Bourgogne ages very well. I bought a bottle of Michel Delhommeau's 2000 Clos Armand VV last year and it was a knockout (and also only $35 retail--you can't beat that). Muscadet is still actually cheap enough for you to easily buy 6-12 bottles of and set it down for 10-20 years to see how it ages. Muscadet offers some of the best QPR of any white wine. Cheers!
I swear this thread costs me more money than any other place on the internet. I went to the Houston Wine Merchant website and found Domaine Les Pallieres - Gigondas Les Racines 2012 . It looks like it belongs in my belly.

cecil77
AG
Interesting article:

Rich People Are Ruining Wine

Quote:

Vintner is a word that implies a knowledge of vines, husbandry, and winemaking, and a significant amount of physical labor. Not so the lifestyle vintner. It is a somewhat deprecating honorarium for mostly wealthy individuals with none of the above. Their surnames hover artfully on bottles of cabernet sauvignon and chardonnay, all deeply punted and impressively expensive.
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks to the rise of the lifestyle vintner, the market is now glutted with new wines in a numbingly similar style. Critics generally favor them, most costing well over $100 a bottle, and as a result many of the richest American palates have developed a taste for alcoholic, overripe cabernet. Napa still has its small, inspired producers, but also mega-companiesConstellation, Treasury Wine Estates, Kendall-Jackson, Gallothat churn out bottles for nationwide distribution.

It's mainly an editorial supporting the "tree saving" measure Napa is considering, an issue with two sides for sure. But interesting nonetheless.
BullSprig07
AG
Quote:

Quote:

you should check it out. I'd also look into the Lompoc area, come cool places to stay (including Santa Barbara if the coast is your thing) and some great pinot/chard in the area along with Rhone varietals.
I haven't visited Paso but it's next on my list and drink a lot of wine from there.

I can speak to Santa Barbara/Lompoc area specifically. We stayed at an AirBnB in Lompoc a couple of years ago and we loved it. Tasted in Los Olivos area (Stolpman, Andrew Murray, Beckmen) one day and did more Pinot tasting the next at Melville and then the Lompoc wine ghetto (Arcadian, Fiddlehead)

Quote:

I love the area, however, I'm also probably at my limit on larger price point allocations.

Looking for newer, more affordable regions.
Would fit the bill for this, I imagine Paso would too. Going to be a way more relaxed and slow vibe than Napa.
TP Ag '87
AG
Yep. Couldn't agree more.

Thanks for posting that.
BSD
AG
The ruining of Napa has been going on for a long home, at least since all Pritchard Hill wines got to be over $100/btl!
Cyp0111
I just struggle paying $100/btl for an overripe fruit bomb. The money influx into the region has really accelerated this and made it hard to find good, honest made wine. Everything is wrapped in Restoration Hardware 101.
bularry
Water Turkey07 said:

Quote:

Quote:

I haven't visited Paso but it's next on my list and drink a lot of wine from there.

I can speak to Santa Barbara/Lompoc area specifically. We stayed at an AirBnB in Lompoc a couple of years ago and we loved it. Tasted in Los Olivos area (Stolpman, Andrew Murray, Beckmen) one day and did more Pinot tasting the next at Melville and then the Lompoc wine ghetto (Arcadian, Fiddlehead)

Sounds almost exactly what I'd do when I get to visit. Los Olivos looks like a cool town and area.
JMC04
AG
jrweinberger said:

Thanks for the recs JR! I'm in Houston, I will try Specs midtown and Houston Wine Merchant
bularry
also check out French Country Wines
Cyp0111
Just received my shipment of Repris wines. Great stuff.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Someone else on here made it to Paso Robles recently right?

Been in Bakersfield for a wedding. Made a short day trip to Paso Robles yesterday and visited Eberle and J. Lohr. Both were great. If I could only visit one it would be Eberle, but the wines were good at both places. Particularly liked the GSM at Eberle and the Petite Sirah at J. Lohr.
HTownAg98
I'm here right now. Those wines are good, but the places west of the 101 are way better. Head west on 46, take a right on Vineyard Drive, and pick a tasting room.
HTownAg98
Had a 2006 Margerum Syrah Black Oak Vineyard Santa Barbara County. Stupidly good for $28. The wine shop owner found a bunch of it stashed away in his warehouse.
https://imgur.com/a/obC3A
MooreTrucker
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Someone else on here made it to Paso Robles recently right?

Been in Bakersfield for a wedding. Made a short day trip to Paso Robles yesterday and visited Eberle and J. Lohr. Both were great. If I could only visit one it would be Eberle, but the wines were good at both places. Particularly liked the GSM at Eberle and the Petite Sirah at J. Lohr.
We went a couple of years ago and J.Lohr was our first stop. Took us on a tour of the place and taught us how to truly do a wine tasting.

We also went to Wild Horse, JanKris, Justin, Harmony, Halter Ranch, Sextant, Opolo, and Castoro.
BSD
AG
For those who like a delicious Napa cab at a good price, Drinkward Pecshon is out. It's a more elegant style and comes at about $75 (I think, it's been awhile since I've bought).
BSD
AG
The Crow has landed!

WestUAg
AG
BSD said:

The Crow has landed!

I am suddenly thirsty....
awesome sauce
AG
HTownAg98 said:

I'm here right now. Those wines are good, but the places west of the 101 are way better. Head west on 46, take a right on Vineyard Drive, and pick a tasting room.

Any specific recommendations? I'm considering Paso as an entry-level, first-time wine trip.

Looking primarily for cabernet, merlot, & sauvignon blanc. Not really interested in zinfandel, pinot, shiraz or chardonnay.
bularry
paso not really great for cab or merlot, IMO. few exceptions, of course
HTownAg98
If you're wanting to do the wine on the cheap, there are several places on the east side of the 101 (Eberle, J. Lohr, Tobin James to name a few) that would fit the bill. The west side of the 101 is mostly Rhone grapes, and damn good grapes and wines. Even if you don't think you like Syrah and Grenache, you should go do a tasting at some place like Epoch, L'Aventure, or Linne Calodo. The wines aren't going to be anything like southern French wines or Aussie Shiraz. I often tell people that the GSM blends from the west side of town are for cab drinkers who don't like French GSM blends.
MooreTrucker
AG
awesome sauce said:

HTownAg98 said:

Any specific recommendations? I'm considering Paso as an entry-level, first-time wine trip.

Looking primarily for cabernet, merlot, & sauvignon blanc. Not really interested in zinfandel, pinot, shiraz or chardonnay.
Repeated from above. Paso was our entry-level trip. J. Lohr and Wild Horse remain our favorites.

Quote:

We went a couple of years ago and J.Lohr was our first stop. Took us on a tour of the place and taught us how to truly do a wine tasting.

We also went to Wild Horse, JanKris, Justin, Harmony, Halter Ranch, Sextant, Opolo, and Castoro.

aggiejumper
AG
BSD said:

The Crow has landed!

Tasting notes?? There are 3 in there for a reason, one now, one in 5 years, and one in 10 years.
htxag09
AG
Just booked our next trip. Finally getting to stay in Yountville. Now to start lining up tastings.
ILikeTacos
AG
htxag09 said:

Just booked our next trip. Finally getting to stay in Yountville. Now to start lining up tastings.
When you going? We are going in May and I need to do the same.
htxag09
AG
July
BSD
AG
Ha. That is actually a six pack but unfortunately only 2 are mine. So no infanticide today!
cecil77
AG
Another interesting take. (at least I find it interesting...)

Chilean Winemaker Learns Napa Lesson

Quote:

Patricio Celedon may be the only winemaker in the world who went to Napa Valley to learn more about winemaking and came back determined to pick earlier and make his wines fresher.
BSD
AG
Another Napa bashing article...yay.

Here is what my wife drank the last two nights. I had a glass of each. Pretty good for about $60 a bottle.

cecil77
AG
Quote:

Celedon had worked with California-based consultant Paul Hobbs at his previous winery, the domestic Chilean giant Via San Pedro. With Hobbs' help, he spent two months in Napa Valley, working in To Kalon vineyard. The lessons have stayed with him.

"I saw all these things we were doing in Chile on expensive wines, they were not doing," Celedon says. "Like [we were leaving] one bunch per vine [for more concentration]. They spent much time in the vineyard. They didn't use as much heavy-toasted oak."

Quote:

Actually it discussed both good and bad of what Napa and Chile have been doing. Not all bashing. But even if it is, I guess it's just a counter to yet another Napa "Wow!" wine pic, right?

And we've been going through a few St Emilion ourselves. I find myself really liking them right now. IMO some of the best value right now is a $30-60 Bordeaux..
MooreTrucker
AG
BSD said:

Here is what my wife drank the last two nights. I had a glass of each. Pretty good for about $60 a bottle.

That seems like a lot of sediment in the bottle on the left. We had some in a bottle we had last nght. Is that a normal/bad thing?
BSD
AG
Totally normal.
First Page Last Page
Page 147 of 298

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.