Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,260,449 Views | 10412 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by Objective Aggie
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BSD said:

A lot quieter. Cold and rainy, though. Be careful because some restaurants shut down for annual breaks/cleaning.

This is great to know, thanks! I'm looking at a trip possibly January next year.
jh0400
AG
We went to Napa/Sonoma last year the week before the Super Bowl, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Almost everything was open, but nothing was crowded.

He's not kidding on the rain. I think it rained the whole time we were there.
cecil77
AG
Been to Napa Valley three times. All in August. Loved it. Didn't find it too crowded at all. Second two were in Calistoga and didn't get south of St. Helena.
BSD
AG
Also, weekdays are less crowded. Weekends are a pain in the ass , as the hippies from SF drive up to spend the money that capitalism supplies them.
HTownAg98
Weekends suck, unless you can pick a small area and stay in it. Saturdays are good days to do Pritchard Hill, Howell Mountain, and Spring Mountain because only people that are really serious about wine are going to venture to these areas.
cheeky
AG
BSD said:

If anyone wants 2015 Scarecrow, my allocation is 6 bottle. Let me know.
I would like to get in on this if you have any remaining.
BSD
AG
All gone. Unless you want a $1500 mag!

But seriously, my wife may get an offering in a second wave. If she does, I'll let you know.
cheeky
AG
I hope I make the second wave!
cecil77
AG
2014 Quilceda Creek Cab tonight. Nothing like a Parker 100 point bottle on Tuesday night.
TP Ag '87
AG
Braggart
cecil77
AG
TP Ag '87 said:

Braggart
I called. You didn't answer!
TP Ag '87
AG
So, that b/s aside,...

What did you think? Was it 3x+ better than an $80 bottle?
cecil77
AG
TP Ag '87 said:

So, that b/s aside,...

What did you think? Was it 3x+ better than an $80 bottle?

Probably not. And FWIW, I purchased through a friend's allocation, paid well below the current price.

However it was VERY good. What I really liked is the subtle use of oak contrasted to so many Napa-style cabs nowadays. Fine grained tannins, both mid-palate and on the finish. And only the slightest hint of oak vanillans. Great fruit. As per a Napa style cab not a hint of any Bordeaux flavors (no pyrazines) It was a very good wine!

cecil77
AG
This article is pretty interesting:

Red wines lean heavily on oak for top-scoring flavors

Some selected quotes:

Quote:

As recently as the mid-1980s, wood flavoring in red wines was seen as a sign of poor wine making.

Quote:

The late winemaker Andre Tchelistcheff often said that aging red wines in barrels was mainly done for maturity to allow raw fermented grape juice to develop its wine-y flavors. Once you can taste the wood, Andre told me in 1986, you've lost the wine.

Quote:

Yet so many of the tasting notes we read on supposedly exalted red wines refer more to the wood than to the grape.

Quote:

But with barrels costing so much (between about $800 each to well over $2,000, or more), numerous oak alternatives have been developed that are much cheaper.
Among these are oak staves that are put into older, neutral barrels (or into stainless steel tanks), chips, "bullets" (grooved plugs), and oak powders (often dispensed with shovels into tanks).

Not very romantic, is it? They add oak-ish flavors to inexpensive wines, but the "oak" seems artificial.
JMC04
AG
HTownAg98 said:

So to bring the discussion back to some sort of sanity (I kid), and I've been drinking a lot of Muscadet Sevre et Maine lately. For $15, you can get something that has some complexity, but still enough acid to be a good palate cleanser. It is the best thing to have with raw oysters (for those of us who don't have the budget to drink grower champagne), and goes really well with simply prepared fish.
Any particular producers you recommend? I've been meaning try a Muscadet. Does Specs or Total Wine have a decent selection?
BSD
AG
Stagecoach said:

BSD said:

It looks like I can get up to 6 more bottles. Let me know!
AlexSAWineguy
AG
Twins is having their $1 sale today through Saturday, I need to learn to stay away from there on my lunch hour!

https://m.imgur.com/a/zu0iU
A2
HTownAg98
I just think of it as a way to add more miles for my Southwest Rapid Rewards card.
BSD
AG
HTownAg98 said:

I just think of it as a way to add more miles for my Southwest Rapid Rewards card.

Companion Pass, here you come.
HTownAg98
Did these last weekend. They didn't suck.
HTownAg98
BSD said:

HTownAg98 said:

Companion Pass, here you come.

Almost there.
HTownAg98
Had these two tonight with tri-tip. The Caravan won, but it was close.
cecil77
AG
IMO Caravan is a much better value than is Darioush.
Cyp0111
I've never been a fan of Darioush
TP Ag '87
AG
Can't recall if this has been discussed here or not,...

Watched "Blood into Wine" last night on Amazon Prime. (Actually, would have watched paint dry to avoid Oscars, but I digress,...)

2010 documentary about Maynard James Keenan, lead singer for Tool, and his Caduceus label and wine-making out in AZ. Pretty interesting and funny in parts as well. His wines get really good ratings on Vivino. (Of course, it could be all the Tool lovers that exaggerate a bit.)

Going to pick up a few at Total Wine to give a try.

Anyone have 1st hand knowledge?
cecil77
AG
No, but after you do, let us know!
ILikeTacos
AG
Cyp0111 said:

I've never been a fan of Darioush

Join the club. The vineyard is awful too.
HTownAg98
cecil77 said:

It's an even better deal when you can find it for $33.
BSD
AG
And yet another Scarecrow allocation is available at cost. My wife is back on the list. we added her when the price was < $200 and passed when she finally made it. She fell back to the end of the line and caught back up. March 14 for this offering.
Cyp0111
What is the $ amount.
BSD
AG
~$390/btl with tax and shipping included.
bularry
BSD said:

~$390/btl with tax and shipping included.
That actually sounds low to me.

can't believe I typed that
cheeky
AG
BSD said:

Stagecoach said:

BSD said:

It looks like I can get up to 6 more bottles. Let me know!

Finally got an allocation so I'm good!
HTownAg98
cecil77 said:

The Darius II (club allocation) is amazing, but I've never paid to drink it, so there that.

I'm wheels up to Paso Robles, CA in 36 hours, and after the last month and a half, I need it.
Cyp0111
Is Paso a worthwhile trip? I've done Napa/Sonoma 6 or so times and looking for something different.
First Page Last Page
Page 146 of 298

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.