Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,279,828 Views | 10509 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Chipotlemonger
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Surprised by the slow day on here. Seems like lots of allocations were released today...Rivers-Marie Chardonnay, Quivet Syrah, Hobel, and also got an e-mail from Alpha Omega about their Beckstoffer Dr, Crane.
aggiejumper
AG
I didn't buy anything today. Trying to slow down my purchases. Tempted by RM chards though. Also received the SQN "thanks for waiting, maybe wait til next year" email.
cecil77
AG
Bunch of Quivet Syrah. One of the better bargains in Mike Smith Wine
BSD
AG
I think I've received the SQN email/card for over 7 years now. I'm not even sure if I'd buy if they offered me st this point.

I passed on all the rest. Normally I jump on the RM B. Theriot chard but I still have about a case of them in the cellar. And other than champagne and Sauternes, I've maybe opened up one bottle of white in the last year.
HTownAg98
Sanguis is being released soon. Hopefully my allocation includes a bottle of 1/1.

My spring break trip to Paso Robles is all booked. We are going to Tablas Creek, DAOU, Herman Story, Clos Solene, Adelaida, Linne Calodo (going to a members party that happens to be that weekend), Jacob Toft, and Halter Ranch. May sprinkle in a recommendation from some of the wineries we visit.
BSD
AG
My buddy who passed away a couple of years ago was a big time Tablas Creek buyer. We would go through bottle after bottle back when we could do that kinda thing. I was a fan. Enjoy the trip.
GBMont3
AG
Adding Mike's Syrahs to my list this year (been buyingpinot + cab for a while) butbwill probably do only one of Quivet/Myriad. Is there one label you prefer for Syrah?
Cyp0111
Obsidian Ridge
cecil77
AG
GBMont3 said:

Adding Mike's Syrahs to my list this year (been buyingpinot + cab for a while) butbwill probably do only one of Quivet/Myriad. Is there one label you prefer for Syrah?
To be honest, I don't pay that much attention, Just open them and drink them. And they all seem to get consumed, so I guess they're fine!

I tend to like all of Mike's wine. Only exception has been the 2015 Quivet Napa Cab. Just way too sweet/oak vanallin for me. Pretty much a "Caymus". Surprised Mike would release that...
cecil77
AG

DR. PAULO LOPES DISPELS LONG-HELD BELIEFS ABOUT CORK

Interesting article. I've read others that challenge the notion of oxygen in the cork, but I think this is interesting...

bularry
HTownAg98 said:

Sanguis is being released soon. Hopefully my allocation includes a bottle of 1/1.

My spring break trip to Paso Robles is all booked. We are going to Tablas Creek, DAOU, Herman Story, Clos Solene, Adelaida, Linne Calodo (going to a members party that happens to be that weekend), Jacob Toft, and Halter Ranch. May sprinkle in a recommendation from some of the wineries we visit.
I love Tablas Creek wines. good stuff.

I didn't enjoy my Halter Ranch visit and I would skip DAOU (my preference, I don't care for their wines/style). Maybe look into Booker, L'aventure, Saxum, or Field Recordings as other lables to check out.

A bunch of small producers do wine at Tin City which i've read is a cool spot (never been).

HTownAg98
We did L'Aventure last year. Can't get in at booker and Saxum, and Field Recordings will be closed because they are moving. We are spending Sunday in Tin City and have an appointment there at Jacob Toft.
cheeky
AG
Ordered 15's from Realm, Fairchild George III and VHR this week. Eisele and Lail on deck. Got a fairly good allocation of Schrader (16's) from a friend as well. It's so hard to cut back but I'm doing it on the 15's. 2016 looks to be another load-up year in the making.
cecil77
AG
One cool thing about VHR, they actually show the vineyard yield on the label!

And FWIW, the Boerne HEB carries some of their labels.
BSD
AG
Andy Erikson was at our HEB in Houston yesterday selling Leviathan. I saw the sign for I but didn't stop by. They usually stock some good wines there, at good prices. In fact, that is where I plan to buy 2009 Dom since I need 6 and they give you a 10% discount.
bularry
HTownAg98 said:

We did L'Aventure last year. Can't get in at booker and Saxum, and Field Recordings will be closed because they are moving. We are spending Sunday in Tin City and have an appointment there at Jacob Toft.
booker and saxum only let allocation members visit or something? Did you call?

either way, my advice was worthless! have fun
HTownAg98
No worries. We tried to book with Booker, but they literally do not have any wine to taste. Saxum is only for their allocation list people.

List will probably be our last year going. We will have hit all the places we want to try, so the next trip will be Oregon/Washington.
bularry
HTownAg98 said:

No worries. We tried to book with Booker, but they literally do not have any wine to taste. Saxum is only for their allocation list people.

List will probably be our last year going. We will have hit all the places we want to try, so the next trip will be Oregon/Washington.
I'm making a quick trip to Cali in May, going to spend a couple of days in Amador/El Dorado area. Ton of cool wineries out there if you want to put that on your hit list.

My next target is Santa Barbara County/Lompoc wine ghetto area. I'm actually a member of a few of those wineries so that will be fun. Probably not till '19, though.

I've had a lot of fun on a couple of visits to Woodinville, but my next WA visit will be out east to Walla Walla. See a bit of the country out there and visit the real wineries.
BSD
AG
BSD said:

Andy Erikson was at our HEB in Houston yesterday selling Leviathan. I saw the sign for I but didn't stop by. They usually stock some good wines there, at good prices. In fact, that is where I plan to buy 2009 Dom since I need 6 and they give you a 10% discount.

I'll be damned. I stopped in for pancake mix and came out with this.

Chipotlemonger
AG
Hell yea
cecil77
AG
Champagne with pancakes is a perfectly valid pairing. Try it with butter and granulated white sugar on the pancakes. Seriously!
HTownAg98
bularry said:

HTownAg98 said:

I'm making a quick trip to Cali in May, going to spend a couple of days in Amador/El Dorado area. Ton of cool wineries out there if you want to put that on your hit list.

My next target is Santa Barbara County/Lompoc wine ghetto area. I'm actually a member of a few of those wineries so that will be fun. Probably not till '19, though.

I've had a lot of fun on a couple of visits to Woodinville, but my next WA visit will be out east to Walla Walla. See a bit of the country out there and visit the real wineries.

For Santa Barbara, are you on the allocation list for Sanguis? If not, you should go taste and get on that list.
cecil77
AG
Barefoot Remains Top Brand

It's fun to look at a list like this.

If nothing more as a reminder of just how tiny a portion of the wine drinking world we are!
jh0400
AG
How is Napa/Sonoma in August or September? We're looking to make a trip out this year. We normally try to go in the spring, but that didn't work out this year.
BSD
AG
Hot. Crowded. Go at thanksgiving if you can. Better weather, less crowds, colorful vineyards, and Ad Hoc thanksgiving lunch.
jh0400
AG
Well ***** I guess I need to find another place to go at that time then. My wife is pushing to take a trip once I'm able to get around again. I don't know if I can hold her off until Thanksgiving. We went to NOLA last year for Thanksgiving, so I'm afraid that she'll want to do family things this year.

Maybe we'll think about PDX as well. I could use a restocking of Williamette Pinot.
BSD
AG
PDX is August is great. Perfect weather for an escape from the swamp.

Napa is fun at anytime, I just prefer later in the year.
BSD
AG
If anyone wants 2015 Scarecrow, my allocation is 6 bottle. Let me know.
jh0400
AG
My cool trip idea was just vetoed. We always wake up super early when we're on the west coast, so I thought it would be cool to fly to PDX and then drive over to Walla Walla after a day or so in PDX since we're up early and could be there by noon. Apparently four hours in the car driving through the mountains isn't my wife's idea of relaxing.
WestUAg
AG
Bsd
I would probably take that scarecrow

Email me offline
Chris@robersonbuilding.com
bularry
No, but I will check them out.
bularry
jh0400 said:

My cool trip idea was just vetoed. We always wake up super early when we're on the west coast, so I thought it would be cool to fly to PDX and then drive over to Walla Walla after a day or so in PDX since we're up early and could be there by noon. Apparently four hours in the car driving through the mountains isn't my wife's idea of relaxing.
understandable. it is a long drive
bularry
jh0400 said:

How is Napa/Sonoma in August or September? We're looking to make a trip out this year. We normally try to go in the spring, but that didn't work out this year.
we went in September a few years ago and didn't find the crowds too bad, but the weather was all over the place. Actually really chilly and wet one day which kinda sucked. can be really hot, too, as BSD said.
Chipotlemonger
AG
What are Napa/Sonoma like in January?
BSD
AG
A lot quieter. Cold and rainy, though. Be careful because some restaurants shut down for annual breaks/cleaning.
First Page Last Page
Page 145 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.