Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,279,708 Views | 10508 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by QBCade
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
thanks for the rec
bularry
HTownAg98 said:

DSMerchants is the distributor, so find out where the distribute in Houston and go from there.
Found it at my neighborhood Spec's. '15 vintage for a little under $11/bottle. Wife and I have really enjoyed it. Crisp but some really nice complexity in the flavor profile. Love it! Thanks for posting about it, I would never have bought it otherwise.
HTownAg98
Glad you like it. I'm halfway through my case.
bularry
HTownAg98 said:

Glad you like it. I'm halfway through my case.
I bought 6, 2 left. probably go buy some more since we've got a lot of summer left.
HTownAg98
Just bite the bullet and get a case. It's cheaper that way.
BSD
AG
Bought Piper and Rivers Marie today. Not much though. I'm still stacked up too high for my consumption level.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
Granted I didnt go through 133 pages of stuff, but do ya'll have wine coolers/refrigerators?
FarmerJohn
AG
Yes, and 9 out of 10 of us didn't buy one big enough.
cheeky
AG
Anyone else order the "WRAITH" today? New release from Hundred Acre, blended from 2013 Ark, Kali Morgan and Few and Far Between.
cheeky
AG
Like gun safes, you'll fill it no matter how big you go.
cecil77
AG
Sprung for the Piper last week.
aggiejumper
AG
Wraith seems intriguing but I'm having a hard time justifying anther Hundred Acre order.
WestUAg
AG
The Wraith caught my attention but that's a pricey wine and the 3 pack buy keeps me away. I can buy that at heb next year for less than they sell it from winery. And lots of great options for much cheaper wine make this one a hard buy for me.
ILikeTacos
AG
WestUAg said:

The Wraith caught my attention but that's a pricey wine and the 3 pack buy keeps me away. I can buy that at heb next year for less than they sell it from winery. And lots of great options for much cheaper wine make this one a hard buy for me.

HEB has hundred acre? One less thing we get up here in dallas.
cecil77
AG
Just got 2012 FreemarkAbbey cab at HEB. Net $22.50 per bottle.
jh0400
AG
cecil77 said:

Just got 2012 FreemarkAbbey cab at HEB. Net $22.50 per bottle.

cecil77
AG
Vintage 2012. I brought seven.
cheeky
AG
WestUAg said:

cecil77
AG
That kind of bet against HEB is routinely lost.
WestUAg
AG
Stagecoach
Not sure what your point is. Hundred acre is sold at all 3 hebs I go to. Hit the fathers day sale at 20% off and you are well below $400. I have bought hundred acre there before and never paid $400. Maybe this wraith will be different but there a ton of great options for sub $400 cabs from napa.
WestUAg
AG
Dp
WestUAg
AG
AG 07 said:

WestUAg said:

HEB has hundred acre? One less thing we get up here in dallas.

In reply to AG 07
Yes they have the Kayli morgan and ark. If I knew how to post a pic I would share. The 2013 kayli is $405 and the ark is $315.
I bought the ark at the Father's Day sale and paid $284. They have the 2009 and 2011 as well, not sure what they have today but that was a few weeks ago.
cheeky
AG
Excuse my angry post. Went deep in the wine cellar last night. Still, I'll wager that you won't be seeing any Wraith at HEB.
WestUAg
AG
No worries stagecoach. Heb amazes me, today I saw 2 different bond wines there and a 2008 Petrus pomerol...you never know what will end up at heb!!! Last week they were selling Schrader
bularry
WestUAg said:

No worries stagecoach. Heb amazes me, today I saw 2 different bond wines there and a 2008 Petrus pomeral...you never know what will end up at heb!!! Last week they were selling Schrader
Schrader? what location of HEB? Bunker Hill I assume?

The Kroger in the Heights also occasionally pulls some unexpected stuff
WestUAg
AG
yes bunker hill for schrader.
cheeky
AG
2014 Seven Stones is out today (98 RP). Started buying last year, but had my first taste at the winery last week. For me, it may be the best $200 cab in the valley. Also tasted Mockingbird Blue from Tuck Beckstoffer. The 2014 is Melka's first effort off the former Dancing Hares Estate juice. It gets my thumbs up, although a little pricey at $240. But those are two powerful names in Napa these days. It is releasing in a couple weeks. Might be worth getting on board early for some of you collector types. Wasn't as excited about the Red, which is sourced from various Beckstoffer properties as Tuck has done in the past. It was released in the Spring.
BSD
AG
This is weird. I haven't got a single wine offer via email since I changed companies back in April. They must be getting blocked before they even get into the spam filters.

I've been in the Seven Stones list since 2005 vintage so I'll definitely be calling them to get my allocation.
cecil77
AG
I bought six Bordeaux at Total Wine last week.

A 2008 Chateau Leoville Barton (2nd growth) and a 3rd growth. Also a Premier Grand Cru St. Emillion.

I gotta tell you. I think that getting stuck in big ole Napa fruit bombs is missing out on a lot. Sure I like them, although over extraction is becoming increasingly common. But these Bordeaux are just sublime. I find many more layers of flavor and complexity than I have in most Napa's lately. Although a 2006 Opus One we had with friends last week was close.

FarmerJohn
AG
Went to Total Wine for the first time last Saturday. Holy cow, that is way beyond just your typical liquor store. Really a step up from Goody Goody and neighborhood Specs. Almost on par with midtown Specs in Houston. I was very impressed, obviously.

Also, had a Duchman for the first time on Sunday. Tried their 2014 Montepulciano. I was also impressed by that. Not quite an Italian style, but also not quite New World. Most impressively it really developed over the 2 hours we had it open. It was objectively good wine, not just a good (for) Texas wine. At $30 a bottle, other regions can beat it on value, but it's a close conversation. I am not someone that will spend too much extra on something just because it is from Texas. Maybe a little extra.
cheeky
AG
cecil77 said:

I bought six Bordeaux at Total Wine last week.

A 2008 Chateau Leoville Barton (2nd growth) and a 3rd growth. Also a Premier Grand Cru St. Emillion.

I gotta tell you. I think that getting stuck in big ole Napa fruit bombs is missing out on a lot. Sure I like them, although over extraction is becoming increasingly common. But these Bordeaux are just sublime. I find many more layers of flavor and complexity than I have in most Napa's lately. Although a 2006 Opus One we had with friends last week was close.

Opus One? Dude. Check your PM.
bularry
FarmerJohn said:

Went to Total Wine for the first time last Saturday. Holy cow, that is way beyond just your typical liquor store. Really a step up from Goody Goody and neighborhood Specs. Almost on par with midtown Specs in Houston. I was very impressed, obviously.

Also, had a Duchman for the first time on Sunday. Tried their 2014 Montepulciano. I was also impressed by that. Not quite an Italian style, but also not quite New World. Most impressively it really developed over the 2 hours we had it open. It was objectively good wine, not just a good (for) Texas wine. At $30 a bottle, other regions can beat it on value, but it's a close conversation. I am not someone that will spend too much extra on something just because it is from Texas. Maybe a little extra.
Man, I went to total wine on Memorial and just wasn't that impressed. yeah, they have a lot of wine, but I didn't find much I was interested in buying. They did have Mathiasson chard and I jumped a some of that, but not many "gems" from my POV.
bularry
I'm a fan of Seven Stones. Nice wines, but yeah, not cheap.
jh0400
AG
bularry said:

FarmerJohn said:

Man, I went to total wine on Memorial and just wasn't that impressed. yeah, they have a lot of wine, but I didn't find much I was interested in buying. They did have Mathiasson chard and I jumped a some of that, but not many "gems" from my POV.

I don't care much for Total Wine. Way too many private labels to sort through in both the wine and Bourbon/Scotch areas.
cecil77
AG
The Rim location in SA I do like. Sure there's lots of their private label stuff, but the variety from around the world is just fun for me to look through. I've been through their bourbon and scotch aisle, but I'm pretty ignorant on those so really can't have an opinion.

First Page Last Page
Page 133 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.