Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,260,081 Views | 10410 Replies | Last: 52 min ago by cecil77
jh0400
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Thanks for the replies so far. Just returned from Muster in Austin County. We are novices so as far as how much we want to spend is probably not over $500 per day. I assume they will ship any purchases we make. Do we need to make appointments or just hit one of the tours guides for a day or two?

The numbers below should help you with your budgets. Others are welcome to chime in, but these are the general rules we use for budgeting purposes.

Tasting Fees - $15-25 for a walk-in place - some will waive with purchase, but the purchase requirements can be steep. My wife and I usually share for two reasons. One is it's cheaper, and two I find that it extends the day quite a bit. In a walk in, try the wines, hear the pitch, and leave tasting, you'll get the equivalent of a glass of wine in 15 to 20 minutes. If you start early and do that a few times, it's a good way to end up back in the hotel for a nap.

Bottle Price (Bottles that you can't get at Specs) - For white wines, I'd budget $35+ per bottle on the low end. For Cab and Cab Blends $50 is probably close to the bottom, but be prepared to see lots of $100+ offerings.
cecil77
AG
Be careful of the rookie mistake most all of us have made. Six (or more) tastings in one day. Way too many. But we've all done it so maybe it's worth doing once.

As I mentioned previously, one trips worth of walk-in tastings was enough for us. However (comma) we pay $50 and up for tastings. They are usually just the two of us with the guide and include various things to eat as well.

Just different experience. The good part is you can't really make any mistakes. It's like the guy that said, "I had the worst sex I've ever had last night..... It was wonderful."
FarmerJohn
AG
quote:
I'm probably in the minority, but I've come to dislike Napa. I'd suggest Sonoma or RRV instead. My main thing I don't like is that every tasting I've had in Napa except for a handful turned into a ****ing sales pitch.
I get not liking Napa, especially if you are only doing stop in's or light tourism. It can feel very commercial. While Sonoma is doing their best to catch up, I think it still feels more personal and friendly. I think Sonoma is like the Texas Hill Country with better wine and worse bar-b-que.

Both are pretty great though.
cecil77
AG
Yeah, it's all great. As I've mentioned before, we stay in Calistoga now.
Aggie Farmer
AG
Thanks for all the advice! It really helps.
HTownAg98
We've always stayed in Sonoma because the guesthouses are so much cheaper. Granted, it means you have an hour drive to and back from the heart of the Napa Valley everyday, but it's a beautiful drive, and I don't mind the drive.
If you're feeling adventurous, take the Oakville Grade once, but don't do it at night on your first drive. It is a white knuckle drive up and down the mountain, and it doesn't really save you any time, but damn it's fun.
BSD
AG
'06 isn't bad!

HTownAg98
What I got to drink today. Sorry if I don't have names on all these, there was a lot to drink.

Gosset Champagne NV
2011 Numanthia (Still a baby)
1996 Cakebread Cabernet
2009 Peter Michael "Ma Dansuese" (an unusual but tasty Pinot)
2005 Sanguis
2012 Condrieu (Don't know which one, but I know it wasn't cheap.)
2013 Carter To Kalon (needs another two years)
2012 Vineyard 29 Aria
2012 O'Shaunessey Howell Mountain Cabernet
JM04
AG
We took a day trip with platypus tours on our first trip and highly recommend it. I would not stay in Napa proper but look into St Helena , Calistoga or Sonoma
bularry
quote:
Thanks for all the advice! It really helps.
first visit we did like most have said, scheduled too many tastings and ended the night going to bed about 9 pm feeling miserable.

A lot more enjoyable if you take fewer and longer visits and also spitting a little bit to keep down the volume you drink is helpful, too.

Lots of people have suggested various tours, that is probably a good idea too although not anything I have ever done. We usually spend all our time in RRV/Dry Creek areas.
Elkos Magic Cookbook
AG
Sad day because we are on our flight heading home. What a great trip my wife had! Hopefully I can do a recap in the next few weeks, but this is where we went.

Tasting with Mike Smith and his wines
Hourglass
Orin Swift for about 30 seconds
Outpost
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega ERA bash
Merryvale
Checkerboard
Silver Oak
Mumm
Mending Wall
Crocker & Starr
Joseph Phleps
Chateau Montelena
Schramsberg

What a week!!

TP Ag '87
AG
Care to expand on your Orin Swift quickie?
Elkos Magic Cookbook
AG
Really love their wines, but was very underwhelmed by their tasting room. Practically empty room, a wood bar, and more ****** kabobs than a pitbull concert.
TP Ag '87
AG
Ah. I love their stuff as well, but seems so does a great more # of folks than a few years ago. I can imagine their tasting room.
HTownAg98
I got to taste through a bunch of wines from Macauley yesterday. The general consensus was that the 2013 reserve cab was better than the 2012 reserve cab, and better than the 2013 To Kalon cab. The 2013 reserve cab is about $40 cheaper than the To Kalon. Their Zinfandel, petite Syrah, and Chardonnay are also very good. Prices range from $35 to $185/btl.
AlexSAWineguy
AG
I remember buying the 2011 Cab on close out for $25. It was an amazing value.
BSD
AG
I told y'all it wasn't me!

http://napavalleyregister.com/news/local/two-indicted-in-french-laundry-wine-theft/article_990d9edc-618e-5f00-a492-9315045f829d.html
Chipotlemonger
AG
Using your "1 phone call" to post on TexAgs
Elkos Magic Cookbook
AG
Anyone order the Pott large formats today?
BSD
AG
I passed because I really shouldn't be buying magnums since I'd have to give away more than 3/4 of it! I still have a few 3L's from 2010, though.
cecil77
AG
So when are you giving those away?

aggiejumper
AG
I passed on the Pott large formats also. Need to slow down purchases after buying everything in the '13 vintage.
evan_aggie
AG
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMcUDYjfgfm-FCvn2YeQLdDFsBID2N-NtJ_w3sCsp5zRKcXHp7
Stan Crowch
AG
This just arrived in the mail!

TP Ag '87
AG
What is that exactly? As a father of Grace, that's pretty cool
TP Ag '87
AG
Found it. Assume its tasty?
Stan Crowch
AG
As far as Rose goes it's the best I've had in a long time.
Stan Crowch
AG
Would you like a bottle Tp ag?
TP Ag '87
AG
Like I'd say no? I'm loving me some Rose' over the last couple of summers. Website doesn't show price but I'm game. Or I'll trade you some of my stash.
Stan Crowch
AG
No problem it was a gift....I don't need anything in return. If you are in Houston I can meet you or otherwise will ship if you give me an address.
HTownAg98
Entre Nous makes a rose. It must be pretty outstanding at $58/btl.
TP Ag '87
AG
I have grown to really enjoy a good, dry rose' but can't see me ever paying $58 for a bottle.
cecil77
AG
Rose' has gotten a bad rep from the cheap chick-wine sold here. It's fine wine in many appellations in France. Trivia - Tavel in the Southern Rhone is the only AOC that is 100% rose'.
HTownAg98
The only rose I would consider spending that kind of money on would be either a Tavel or Bandol rose, and most of those can be found in the $30-$40 range.
TP Ag '87
AG
Heck, I'm such a (whatever) that I refuse to buy Bradgelina's Rose' simply because they're linked to it. Just tired of the celebrity wine b/s.
First Page Last Page
Page 105 of 298

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.