Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,258,964 Views | 10397 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by cecil77
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So you are passing on Nancy Pelosi's wine?
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
I have grown to really enjoy a good, dry rose' but can't see me ever paying $58 for a bottle.

Went to a ros sampling last year. Got to sample some high end Ross that I would never imagine spending money on myself previously. But damn they were some amazing wines. There are worthwhile high end Ross.
TP Ag '87
AG
Thanks, BSD. Just threw up.
bularry
quote:
As far as Rose goes it's the best I've had in a long time.
She makes some unbelievable Grenache, also. The 2013 I had was one of the best wines I've ever drank, just loved it. The 2012 was not as good, but still very nice.

I would love to try the rose

bularry
quote:
I have grown to really enjoy a good, dry rose' but can't see me ever paying $58 for a bottle.
agree. I like Entre Nous Cab and started buying it recently, but I'm not buying any rose for $55. I have also quit buying any rose made from pinot. I like the so rhone varietal for my rose (g,m and c mostly)
TP Ag '87
AG
Don't think I've had a Provence Rose' that I didn't like.
JMC04
AG
quote:
Heck, I'm such a (whatever) that I refuse to buy Bradgelina's Rose' simply because they're linked to it. Just tired of the celebrity wine b/s.
Hate to admit it, but Miraval is actually really good
TP Ag '87
AG
Since we're talking Rose', had a 2014 Chateau d'Aqueria Tavel tonight. Got it @ HEB but didn't record the price. I gave it 4 stars on Vivino.

Now on to Caste Rock cab.
BSD
AG
In my first wine related injury, I just sprained my thumb trying to push a box of wine into a small space at my offsite locker. When I'm 8' high in the air, I guess I'm glad it wasn't anything more than that!
JMC04
AG
quote:
Since we're talking Rose', had a 2014 Chateau d'Aqueria Tavel tonight. Got it @ HEB but didn't record the price. I gave it 4 stars on Vivino.

Now on to Caste Rock cab.
I recently tried Whispering Angel Rose from HEB, and liked it a lot. Think I paid $18.

Had a fantastic glass of Rose at Dolce Vita a few weeks ago. It had a nose of peaches that was amazing. $15 a glass, which is a lot for rose . Wish I had written down the name so I could try and buy it retail. Their Planeta rose at $8 a glass was good too.

cecil77
AG
Quivet Cab ready to order today.

Got 2ea of the Napa, Pellet, and Kenefick
BSD
AG
No LPV?

Sadly I passed. It was hard to do but I just can't take on any more wine. I'm going to have to text Mike to apologize!
cecil77
AG
Budget issues. But three college graduations between May 5 and June 12, so happy days will be here again!
BSD
AG
3??? Wow! Congrats!
Elkos Magic Cookbook
AG
I just did 1 each of the Pellet, Kenefic, and Las P.

BSD, does it ever end lol? Btw, you can tell Mike that I am a new customer because of you. I bought plenty from him when I met him in April. He's a great guy!
BPCAg05
AG
Anyone have any recommendations for the best quality wine fridges in the 120-166 bottle size range? Not sure I want to splurge on a Eurocave, but the reviews on others such as Edgestar have me concerned.
JMC04
AG
So today I got a nice surprise in my inbox, I made it onto the Reynvaan allocation list. Before I made any decisions, I wanted to get input from anyone that's tried Reynvaan wines. I have 4 Syrah's to choose from, but since I can only purchase in 3 packs, I've got to pick one.

Choices:

The Contender
In the Rocks
The Unnamed
In the Hills

If anyone in the Houston area wants me to order a 3 pack for them, or mix and match just let me know!
TP Ag '87
AG
Hermann J. Weimer Chardonnay. Great stuff, even if you're not a white wine lover. Good stuff (and good people) from, of all places, Finger Lakes NY.

Their Riesling (yes, it's DRY) is good and even WS gives it hi 80's/low 90's.
bularry
quote:
So today I got a nice surprise in my inbox, I made it onto the Reynvaan allocation list. Before I made any decisions, I wanted to get input from anyone that's tried Reynvaan wines. I have 4 Syrah's to choose from, but since I can only purchase in 3 packs, I've got to pick one.

Choices:

The Contender
In the Rocks
The Unnamed
In the Hills

If anyone in the Houston area wants me to order a 3 pack for them, or mix and match just let me know!
very cool, I got on the list for the '13's for the first time. last year I did the wish list for the '14 Stonessence and was able to get a 3 pack.

The Unnamed is the most common and you can occasionally find it in stores. I've bought In The Hills and The Contender.
JMC04
AG
After researching Spectator and cellar tracker scores I ended up going with "in the rocks". Frustrating that I couldn't mix and match, I really wanted to sample multiple bottles to get a feel for the portfolio.

Are there major stylistic differences between the Syrah's? I believe they make 5 Syrah bottlings, but there are only two vineyard sites. Stonessence and In the Rocks both come from In the Rocks vineyard, and I would love to see how they differ, if at all.
HTownAg98
I've had The Unnamed, and it leans more toward an Old World style. It's not a big wine.
BSD
AG
quote:

BSD, does it ever end lol? Btw, you can tell Mike that I am a new customer because of you. I bought plenty from him when I met him in April. He's a great guy!

It never does!!! Even when a cardiologist says no more it still keeps happening! (In all seriousness, I have taken his advice and cut down to special occasions but the buying is still occurring). Be sure to tell Mike you are picking up my slack.
BSD
AG
Birthday wine: 2002 Cristal on a boat ride thru the BVI and this gem at dinner back at the hotel.

Chipotlemonger
AG
Blue parachute for you.
aggiejumper
AG
Tasting notes please BSD. Is that a 375?

On a side note, my wife and I are getting into champagnes after visiting there on part of my honeymoon. Does anyone have a nice grower champagne they recommend? Chardonnay based preferred.
BSD
AG
It is indeed a 375ml. Beautiful wine. Very fragrant. Great dark fruit, elegantly structured and balanced yet still concentrated and powerful. Tremendous finish that goes on and on. Pop and poured. This is an amazing wine! I'm going to give my others a good 5-7 year rest but I couldn't resist trying this.
HTownAg98
quote:
Tasting notes please BSD. Is that a 375?

On a side note, my wife and I are getting into champagnes after visiting there on part of my honeymoon. Does anyone have a nice grower champagne they recommend? Chardonnay based preferred.

How much do you want to spend?
HTownAg98
Or, just pick something from this list. http://www.skurnik.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/SKURNIK_THEISE_Champagne_2015_CATALOG_WEB.pdf
I like everything from Montagne de Reims, especially Billiot for the price. It's mostly Pinot noir if that matters.
Hugo Stiglitzz
My family and I recently relocated to Bakersfield CA. Paso Robles is relatively near to Bakersfield, and I'm looking forward to making it out to some of the wineries.

Anyone with Paso wine/wineries experience on this board that can offer recommendations?

Thanks.
HTownAg98
Stolpman
Saxum
Ridge (I think they have a tasting room somewhere down there.)
TP Ag '87
AG
Love Stolpman. Met the son in Houston and joined their club last year. Good stuff.
HTownAg98
The Para Maria de los Tecolotes may be my favorite value from them.
TP Ag '87
AG
I think I've got a couple bottles back at home. I don't know if I've tried it yet. Now I'm looking forward to it.
MHLY01
AG
I live in San Luis Obispo and pick up a lot of wine from Paso. Depends on what style you like. Have big reds in Paso, good climate Pinot and chard in San Luis, and a good mix in Santa Maria/Santa Ynez. Saxum can get some locally. Still man is in SY hour south Paso. Ridge is in Santa Cruz hour or so north of Paso. Send me a message and I will help you out.
HTownAg98
quote:
I think I've got a couple bottles back at home. I don't know if I've tried it yet. Now I'm looking forward to it.

It's a great everyday syrah. I always buy a couple bottles of La Cuadrilla too because of the story behind it.
First Page Last Page
Page 106 of 298

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.