Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

5,473,421 Views | 43525 Replies | Last: 24 min ago by Aggie Therapist
h_town_ags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AgCzar said:

Great haul. That rye is fantastic and I've heard nothing but good things about the rare character.

Cracked open the JD twice barrel rye tonight and it was fantastic, big notes of butterscotch on both the nose and pallet for me.
calebbogie
AG
So jealous. Congrats on snagging one!
BrokeAssAggie
Pic has to be a crotch shot.
tu ag
AG
I typed that out and then deleted...didn't want to say "takes crotch shots".
Aggie Therapist
AG
I could use one more for the bunker.

I might have to reach out to Rebecca Creek again and see what's next on their agenda.
rca21978
AG
This isn't a typical post on this forum, and I'm not trying to be political, but it's interesting/related because it gets into details on taxes on distilleries.

If the reaction is negative, I will delete it.

Additional info:

According to the American Distilling Institute, the federal excise tax rate for distilled spirits is split into three tiers. Distillers pay $2.70 per proof gallon (PG) on the first 100,000 PG, $13.34/PG on the next 22,130,000 PG sold, and $13.50/PG on anything above that.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I think pretty much everyone can agree that taxes are out of control in this country.
Aggie Therapist
AG
Wow thanks for sharing!

It's an election year! Let your voices be heard!
AgDev01
AG
I think the laws have changed some since that clip was taken. either way you have to love being taxed annually on what is in a barrel, while losing more it it each year.
htxag09
AG
Not arguing that taxes don't suck.

But saying "taxes in America are OUT OF CONTROL" is kind of alluding to other countries being better. But, at least in the developed world, they really aren't.

My company greatly scaled back our operations in the UK because we're effectively taxed at over 75% there.

For liquor, excise taxes in America seem to be more complicated but similar to or cheaper than most of Europe. Wine and beer, America is significantly higher.

Also, how much of the taxes he's complaining about are from the state and/or local level?
trouble
AG
Like either party is interested in getting less of our money.
rca21978
AG
Back on to the subject of Bourbon. Have any of you wheated Bourbon fans tried this? Comments?
BrokeAssAggie
Those fiddlers are damn good. One of my favorite pours.
Pac1698
AG
Yes, my wife and I really enjoyed that bottle. Definitely worth a try.
AgDev01
AG
ASW has some interesting stuff, at least with their malts. I bought a bottle of their Duality double malt cask strength and its pretty decent, though i think it would be better without any smoked malt. Unfortunately i don't think they have a malt product that doesn't have a portion of it smoked.
Aggie Therapist
AG
If it ain't Weller, it ain't in my cellar.
SydB92
AG
That's tater talk right there.......
Aggie Therapist
AG
Also, I haven't heard back from Brazos Valley Cares.

Would anyone like to suggest another charity/non-proft in the B/CS area that could really use the money and you have worked with in the past?

All suggestions are welcome.
htxag09
AG
Not bcs, but one for consideration (maybe future) would be triumph over kid cancer. A guy I went to high school with (Corpus Christi) started it when he was diagnosed with osteosarcoma.

I raised money for them when I did an Ironman.

Also, md Anderson marches all their donations so double bang for your buck.
SydB92
AG
I know Coach Schloss created an charity for childhood vision illnesses...

https://texags.com/s/51330/jim-schlossnagles-vision-to-help-children-through-his-rb-eye-foundation
Aggie Therapist
AG
htxag09 said:

Not bcs, but one for consideration (maybe future) would be triumph over kid cancer. A guy I went to high school with (Corpus Christi) started it when he was diagnosed with osteosarcoma.

I raised money for them when I did an Ironman.

Also, md Anderson marches all their donations so double bang for your buck.

I love it. I use to raise money for the Snowdrop Foundation based out of Houston and did the 55 hour relays. Kiddos fighting cancer brings tears to my eyes.

Let's do it.
lazuras_dc
AG
Triumph Over Kid Cancer is a great suggestion and def a good org. Tragic story about a local (to Corpus) kid James Ragan who had bone cancer and passed away way too young. Family started this org to promote research over Cancers that afflict children and adolescence. James was a great golfer, played with Scottie Scheffler and the the Scheffler fam was real involved with TOKC for a while.
AgCzar
AG
I would recommend getting some samples if you can. I got a sample of five offerings from ASW recently and they were alright but not what I was expecting based on the hype.

Really getting samples of anything before you buy will help your wallet greatly. I learned that the hard way buying a lot of stuff. Luckily there are tons of great people who are willing to share and do sample trades.
stroodles
AG
Not BV, but Childrens Safe Harbor in Conroe is one that's a good cause - and tough subject to talk about. They serve children who are victims of sexual crimes. I went to their luncheon last year, and it's heart breaking to hear what some kids endure
Know Your Enemy
AG
I'm up for any charity that helps needy/sick kids.
AgDev01
AG
AgCzar said:

I learned that the hard way buying a lot of stuff.

Not in regards to ASW, but in general, How bad does something have to be for it to be a true Drain Pour for y'all?

We were very poor when I was young and I try to avoid wasting stuff if at all possible because of it. I have three bottles sitting on my counter that are probably some of the worst things ever produced. 2 of the bottles are random grabs from the store and 1 was a gift from a co-worker when i left my previous job a few months ago.

As much as i want to I cannot bring my self to pour them out. I've considered sending samples out to folks as sort of a best of the worst tournament, thus spending more money just so it doesn't get wasted.
2007fightintexasaggie
AG
A similar option in BCS is Scotty's House. Very tough subject to discuss but they're doing very good things for kids in very bad situations.
rca21978
AG
What are your three near Drain Pours? As a relative Bourbon newbie, perhaps I can avoid a few poor purchases by taking advantage of your experience.
tu ag
AG
Tons of great charities in BCS, including:
-Still Creek
-Brazos Valley Food Bank
-Scotty's House
-The BEE Community
-The Elizabeth House
-Hope Pregnancy Center
-CASA for Kids of South Central Texas
-St. Vincent de Paul Society
-The Bridge Ministries Food Pantry
-Habitat for Humanity
-Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Brazos Valley
-Junction Five-O-Five
-Catholic Charities of Central Texas
-Twin City Mission
-Camp For All

Tons of others I am forgetting too.
AgDev01
AG
They are all the random stuff you see on the shelf so, fortunately im pretty much the only person who is a big enough sucker to actually buy them.

The first is Acre Single Malt - There is Texas funk and then there is this. It turns whatever issue folks have with Balcones/Old GB up to 11. It literally tastes like burnt oak.

The second is Leadslingers. Its just ****ing terrible and goes on to prove the adage nothing good have ever come form Oklahoma.

the third one is Tarnished Truth High Rye. A VA Beach distiller. It tastes like a young hot rye. the only flavor is spice. nothing redeeming about it at all. thankfully i don't think it has distribution outside of Virginia.

rca21978
AG
Thanks for the feedback.
Aggie Therapist
AG
2007fightintexasaggie said:

A similar option in BCS is Scotty's House. Very tough subject to discuss but they're doing very good things for kids in very bad situations.

I'm a social worker. I appreciate everything they do.
BrokeAssAggie
Stay away from this one!!
cc10106
Aggie Therapist said:

For all the MGP lovers and sourced whiskey haters

So good. Been nursing my barrel #32 (126.5 pf) so I don't have to open my barrel #24 (130.7 pf).
AgDev01
AG
Yeah, that looks terrible.
First Page Last Page
Page 1134 of 1244

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.