Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

5,473,450 Views | 43525 Replies | Last: 32 min ago by Aggie Therapist
BrokeAssAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Fresh crack Friday
Aggie Therapist
AG
Oh, that's such a good bottle.

13 year old Turkey Juice.

Yes please
rca21978
AG
I'm guessing that wasn't cheap?
BrokeAssAggie
$130, but it's got some old Turkey in it
rca21978
AG
I hear the Discovery Series is pretty good - depending on the Series you get. What's your opinion?
Bulldog73
AG
Not a bad day.
BrokeAssAggie
Yes. The older ones 1-6ish are really good. They started using Dickel in some of the more recent ones. This 11 is really good and looks like 12 will be too.
Shaggie 05
AG
For those going to Michter's soon, they do put out allocated stuff randomly throughout the day. They like to do bundles…example standard rye and a 10yr or barrel strength. Get there early for the fill your own though.
StinkyPinky
AG
HouseDivided06 said:

Which variation did you have? The standard small batch isn't great, and I have known a couple people who get the single barrel and get a bad batch. Sometimes the full proof needs some time to breath and mellow out. But generally, I find the Full Proof and Single Barrel to be outstanding for the money.
It was the Small Batch
h_town_ags
Nice! I live in TN, fly back to TX once a month for work. They had one spot available on the tour so grabbed it. My plan is to fly back to Nashville the morning before the tour, then drive to Louisville (2.5hrs). I grabbed an AirBNB two nights for $104 total lol, just across the river. Apparently they drop stuff throughout the day, seems like it's either at opening, around lunch or early afternoon. Some days they do the bottle your own when they don't drop stuff. So I'll be around there half a day the day before the tour, the day of the tour and then for a bit the next day, so hopefully I'll get a chance to grab a few bottles and check out some other places before driving home.
StinkyPinky
AG
Aggie Therapist said:

The 1792 FP is one of the best bang for your buck bottles I have tried.

Also, heard good things about Rittenhouse Rye picks.

For $35, I was willing to take a chance. Figured it was worth a shot

Good to know. It was the less expensive small batch so wanted to give it a try. But I'll heed all of your input and give the full proof a try.
Aggie Therapist
AG
"Just Mexican things" type of evening….maybe some bourbon if I finish on time.
AgCzar
AG
What juice goes into the fill your own?
cc10106
Shaggie 05 said:

For those going to Michter's soon, they do put out allocated stuff randomly throughout the day. They like to do bundles…example standard rye and a 10yr or barrel strength. Get there early for the fill your own though.
I doubt I'll get there in time for the latter, but I hope to score something allocated when I visit later this year. Which probably means I won't.
h_town_ags
I think right now it's been barrel strength bourbon.
AgCzar
AG
That would be awesome
AgDev01
AG
rca21978 said:

The ECBP seems like a good buy for $69.

Considering i just saw this at Total Wine, id say so. $92 for an ECBP pick is crazy, not even considering the fact that it isn't even ECBP they are selling.

h_town_ags
Today they dropped a 2 pack of regular rye and barrel strength rye
Aggie Therapist
AG
Wow that's pricey
HouseDivided06
AG
That's gotta be a mistake. They usually place a premium on the private barrels, but thats the price for the barrel proof private barrels.
AgDev01
AG
I agree and pointed it out to the guy who works the bourbon isle a few weeks ago. They took the bottles down and boxed them back up but today when i went in they were back out with the same label.
h_town_ags
Picked these up in town today, first rare character I've gotten and finally grabbed a JD twice barreled rye. The rare character is interesting in that the store did a prerelease sign up and they just received it however it was bottled 1.5 yrs ago. The rookies working the morning shift didn't know anything about it when I picked it up so I sent an email to the store just bc I thought that was weird/interesting.
AgDev01
AG
Todays random ASM purchase - Spirit Hound Straight Malt Whiskey.

Distilled in the Denver area it reminds me of another CO single malt in Stranahan's. Very similar flavor profile with that apple/pear flavor though you can tell this is a bit younger. For the $40 i i paid i was pleasantly surprised. It isn't as good as a Westward or Westland but it is better than 90% of the single malts i have had and has the taste that i really enjoy.

After cracking the bottle and doing a google search for reviews i came across this reddit thread from 5 years ago. Their bottle was from barrel 90 while mine is from 94. Im guessing the bottle i purchased has been sitting on the shelf for at least that long, and given the number of bottles left may have been the first one actually bought.

AgDev01
AG
damn nice haul. jealous of that rare character.
h_town_ags
Actually took a chance and picked up two in the preorder email. Another store had a rare character single barrel 7 yr rye finished in amburana, was able to try a sample and amburana finish is not my jam, was pretty bad lol
AgDev01
AG
amburana is very polarizing. either you seem to love it or hate it.

post your thoughts on the rare character when you crack one open. From what i recall of the reviews it aint cheap but if you like malts it is supposed to be pretty freaking good.
h_town_ags
Cracked it and lit a cigar (Foundation Tabernacle) right after I had posted it. This is my first malt, it's really smooth, easy drinker, but it's only 101 proof so it should. Not going to lie, I'm horrible at describing notes, it's more of a yes or no for me, here's the description they listed in the email, but I'd say it's fairly accurate.
tripperwill
AG
At Michters you can get a 90 min reservation at the bar upstairs mid day, hang out, have a drink and a coffee, and ask the bartenders if they can let you know if any special releases get brought out downstairs. I've done this a couple times successfully.
wmitchell
AG
tripperwill said:

At Michters you can get a 90 min reservation at the bar upstairs mid day, hang out, have a drink and a coffee, and ask the bartenders if they can let you know if any special releases get brought out downstairs. I've done this a couple times successfully.

The Michters bar is awesome
AgCzar
AG
Great haul. That rye is fantastic and I've heard nothing but good things about the rare character.
AgCzar
AG
Great tip. Thanks for that.
AgDev01
AG
in my experience American Single Malts fall in to about three general categories.

Peated/Smoked Whiskeys - these are like drinking liquid smoke. I've had a few that were decent to good but i've had just as many that are trash.

Apple/Pear forward -Stranahans, Westland, etc. These are typically aged in used barrels so less oak and more malt flavors.

bourbon profile - Westward (to some extent), and most of the Kentucky distillery releases. These are usually aged in new oak barrels and offer a good mix of your typical bourbon flavors with the thickness and viscosity of the malt and more stone fruit forward. The bread/graham cracker notes is also the malt.

from what it sounds like it falls into that third category. If you like it and want to try more Westward Cask Strength is a good one to try. Woodford is a cheap alternative with a similar mash bill.
Tom Cardy
AG
That's two of you on here today that bought bottles from stores that were around a year past dump date or older.
bmfvet
AG
Did the fill your own last October. Was a fun experience. Mine is 109.8 proof. Need to crack it. We were in for the Derby and went by Sunday afternoon, but they didn't have anything special out.
‘99
Bulldog73
AG
That's crazy. I hit a local spot I've been to a few times. I actually called before heading over (we've chatted a few times), and he said "yeah, you might want to come in. The truck was good to me today." Not MSRP, but not near secondary on either.
First Page Last Page
Page 1129 of 1244

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.