Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,874,251 Views | 38772 Replies | Last: 46 min ago by Science Denier
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mazag08 said:

kappmeyer said:

Quote:

What is the current list of hard but not obscenely hard stuff to find in TX?

Anything that comes out of Buffalo Trace brand of offerings. Including BT.

For some reason, my local small shop just started allocating BT. Yellow sign on the shelf. "Allocated - 1 P/P"

Dumb.

Allocating Buffalo Trace is so insane. It's good for bottom shelf whiskey and that's about it, in my opinion.
Yeh I haven't seen this in CO. That stuff is always on the shelf. Store barrel picks even.

We also have Eagle rare usually sitting too, so I know it is a bit different environment than TX.
FTAco07
AG
I agree with everyone that OF 1920 is a great go to bourbon. It's either that or 4R Small Batch Select as my choice for best bottle readily available everywhere.
Sazerac
AG
Made 3x 750ml of Manhattan's today.
Knob Creek Rye, angostura bitters, and varied the Sweet vermouth

Used Antica for one, Dolin for the second, and a mix of the two for the third.

Keep them in my bar fridge for quick cocktails.
CTGilley
AG
mazag08 said:

lazuras_dc said:

RebelE Infantry said:

Not hard to find but I am a huge fan of Old Forester 1920. Highly recommend!
Big fan of the OF1920, last night just blinded it against a Makers Mark Private Select (from Spec's... not sure if considered a store pick?) and Makers surprisingly stood up really well. It had a little more spice to it and seemed to hit as more proofy even though its 110 vs. OF 115 but could be my OF has been opened for a few months and the MM is new

Even with the decently high proof OF1920 is a softer whiskey than most of the standard heavily oaked bourbons out there. What I love about it is the distinctly cherry flavor that comes through. It's a hard flavor to get without a cask finishing. It's also hard to balance that flavor and still have it taste distinctly like the bourbons we all know and love. It's an impressive offering.

I get more Banana and feel it compares closely to 1792 FP. I like them both a lot but the 1792 FP can be found for $10-20 cheaper.
jh0400
AG
Enjoying some bottom shelf goodness in west Texas.

kappmeyer
Quote:

Yeh I haven't seen this in CO. That stuff is always on the shelf. Store barrel picks even.

6 cases of BT store barrel picks sold out at Skips liquor in NB TX today. Limit 2pp. $28.
Line out the door when they opened at 10am.

Not Austin.
Not SA
Not Houston
Not top shelf stuff. BT barrel pick.

Small liquor store in NB, a town with 3 specs, total wine, etc.

That's how dumb the Texas market is for whiskey. Super dumb.
txaggie05
AG
kappmeyer said:

Quote:

6 cases of BT store barrel picks sold out at Skips liquor in NB TX today. Limit 2pp. $28.

Not Austin.
Not SA
Not Houston

So dumb. Walked into probably a dozen stores in Baton Rouge & New Orleans while I was there over the weekend that had BT and ER on the shelf. Bought a BT store pick SB handle for $40 at one of them.
lazuras_dc
AG
kappmeyer said:

Quote:

Not Austin.
Not SA
Not Houston

How do these fools know/hear about it ?
kappmeyer
That would be FB.

Whoever runs the stores page posts updates.

"5 cases left!"

"3 cases left!"

Sold out.

F you hoarders
lazuras_dc
AG
That doesn't explain people waiting in line for it before the store opened. Unless it was "sold out another shipment coming tomorrow am" or the store announced something.
kappmeyer
They posted last week that they would have their BT store pick for sale starting today.

That's why there was a line.

And the update throughout the day surely caused a buying frenzy.

So instead of opening a case or two a day, it all gone.
East Dallas Ag
AG
My allocation from Specs - GTS and wife's lottery pick from Goody Goody - OF150, not a bad season!

/humblebrag
lazuras_dc
AG
kappmeyer said:

They posted last week that they would have their BT store pick for sale starting today.

Got it.

And dayum East Dallas ag. Nicely done !
PearlandAg09
AG
well done!
GarlandAg2012
AG
Have had a pretty good run over the past couple weeks. Lots of great stuff available on the shelf in the Northeast.
the_batman26: I guess yall need this, its something to take pride in. At least the Feds trusted us with the Space Center; and I seem to recall the Feds not having the best time in Dallas.
mazag08
AG
If anyone sees Barrel Bourbon New Years Batch 2020 (last year's new years), it is by far the best and most complex that I've tasted from them. Worth every penny and it beat out almost everything else at our yearly tasting.
ClickClack
AG
FTAco07 said:

I agree with everyone that OF 1920 is a great go to bourbon. It's either that or 4R Small Batch Select as my choice for best bottle readily available everywhere.

For some reason I can't find 1920 in New England. 1910 is everywhere but it's not as good.
SpiderDude
AG
kappmeyer said:

This was the line for OLC when he announced he was releasing a 4R SiB Barrel Strength for Father's Day... it went all the way around the building (past multiple other store fronts). Crazy *****
SpiderDude
AG
mazag08 said:

If anyone sees Barrel Bourbon New Years Batch 2020 (last year's new years), it is by far the best and most complex that I've tasted from them. Worth every penny and it beat out almost everything else at our yearly tasting.

Dat Dickel tho. JK...I love my Barrel Armida!
East Dallas Ag
AG
How much would be a fair amount or would you say its worth? Im seeing for $180.
Gordon McKernan
Was given a bottle of Horse Soldier Signature Series for Christmas.... Haven't cracked it open yet, anyone had it? Thoughts?

https://horsesoldierbourbon.com/our-story/
Shaggie 05
AG
Got a bottle from Spec's in Plano for $79 about 30 minutes ago. Was the last on the shelf at that location though.
mazag08
AG
East Dallas Ag said:

How much would be a fair amount or would you say its worth? Im seeing for $180.

I paid $85 at my neighborhood liquor store.

I've never seen a barrel offering below $100
MJ20/20
AG
What did you think about the Alberta Premium Rye?
SpiderDude
AG
Pretty frigging good. Just barely eclipsed by THH.
Killin Me Smalls
AG
mazag08 said:

Several bottles on the shelf at Total Wine in Fairview/Allen. $88.

Several bottles for the 2021 too.

And the single barrel store pick 14yr.
Farmer1906
AG
Did a blind tasting last night. Nothing special, but came away impressed with Bardtown's fusion series. Anyone have any opinions of Bardstown? I don't believe I had it before.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Been to the distillery a couple times (really good fried chicken) and have tried lots of their offerings. Not a fan.
07fta07
AG
Lots of Alberta cask strength rye at Houston TW and WB if anyone is looking.
trouble
AG
Not bourbon but the Brazos Valley Bourbon Society did a barrel pick with Balcones this fall. We did it blind like all of our tastings. Then had ranked voting to choose. This was an overwhelming favorite. I chose it as my top pick of the 5 we tested and Mr trouble had it as his second choice.

My notes from the initial tasting "nose is cigar, raisin, cognac. Tastes of baking spices, caramel, stonefruit, figs. Finish has chocolate and smoky caramel"

Texas single malt aged in French oak "froak" about 3 1/2 years old. 132.8 proof.

Available at Twin on Texas in CS. About $80.
tlfw378
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

Been to the distillery a couple times (really good fried chicken) and have tried lots of their offerings. Not a fan.

Interesting. The discovery series seems to get pretty favorable reviews. I've been wanting to try, but not willing to purchase with known great bottles for half the cost.
SpiderDude
AG
The OLC Balcones Single Malt pick is also excellent (possibly the best one he has for sale currently). 134 proof I believe and aged in French Oak former Rumble barrels.
trouble
AG
I've had several of the French oak bottles. I've liked all of them.
AgInSingapore
AG
Grabbed a WT Master's Keep 17 year old BiB and Booker's Pigskin Batch at TW on Memorial
Ducks4brkfast
AG
AgInSingapore said:

Grabbed a WT Master's Keep 17 year old BiB and Booker's Pigskin Batch at TW on Memorial

Nice. I'd buy another one of those turkeys if I see one.
First Page Last Page
Page 568 of 1108

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.