Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,882,930 Views | 38852 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by AgDev01
djmeen95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Grabbed these today at the WB liquors attached to the Costco up in Kingwood (same place I found a Blanton's the other week).

Eagle Rare single barrel select 375ml bottles for $16 each and George Dickel bottled in bond for $32. Good thing the wife was with me to grab that second Eagle Rare - limit was one per customer.

Edit: They had about 8 bottles left today of the George Dickel bottled in bond on shelf. Not sure about the Eagle Rare since it was in back.
AGdent07
AG
Lots of stuff dropped all over. Picked up blantons, eagle rare and weller 12. Everything is going to quick though.
D-Dubya-09
AG
Seeing if anyone in the NW Houston area has an extra WFP they would be willing to trade for a W12 and OWA. Message me if you are interested.
agcrock2005
AG
dmwilson2009 said:

Seeing if anyone in the NW Houston area has an extra WFP they would be willing to trade for a W12 and OWA. Message me if you are interested.
There's another thread for this now. I'm not being rude, just not sure if you knew it.
betadawg1
AG
Has anyone tried this one?
LPHA
AG
Just opened mine. For $22, I don't see many better options. I like it and hope it doesn't win some bull**** award in San Francisco
jetch17
AG
I saw a bunch of HBS bro's jacking off about old tub ... and all the BT releases
Post removed:
by user
LPHA
AG
It's not bad for the money
Sazerac
AG
I like Beam, so a 109 proof sounds great for a low cost bourbon. I just had some EW White label for the first time in a long time. Hard to beat that for $24 1.75
Gunner33
HBS Bros?
trouble
AG
Houston bourbon society, I assume
AgInSingapore
AG
Irritated with work this week so my better half suggested I go on a whisk(e)y run to ease my mind.

2 handles of WSR
ER
Old Forester 100 proof
WT Kentucky Spirit Single Barrel
Four Roses Single Barrel

Assortment of non-bourbon whisky as well but since this is the bourbon thread, no need to clutter.
mazag08
AG
Oh man. For some of you, this video is going to offend you. For others, this video is vindication.

betadawg1
AG
LPHA said:

Just opened mine. For $22, I don't see many better options. I like it and hope it doesn't win some bull**** award in San Francisco

Good to know. Haven't seen it in Texas and the guy at the Virginia ABC store recommended it.
agcrock2005
AG
That was great. My favorite quotes:

- "the real thing that pissed me off is the grown men that throw tantrums because they can't get their blanton's each week."

- If you pay that much for this bottle you better convince yourself "you're drinking unicorn tears"

- "Yes it's that smooth because they used water to make it 93 proof"

- "Stop treating store clerks. Stop treat store owners like **** because you can't get your pretty horsey every week"
SpiderDude
AG
agcrock2005 said:

- "the real thing that pissed me off is the grown men that throw tantrums because they can't get their blanton's each week."

- If you pay that much for this bottle you better convince yourself "you're drinking unicorn tears"

- "Stop treating store clerks. Stop treat store owners like **** because you can't get your pretty horsey every week"

My favorite quote: "**** YOU!!!"

Cuz that's exactly what I think about someone asking me to pay secondary for a bottle of pretty much anything. Vanity is driving the bourbon craze. People want to be able to brag and post "shelfies" and crotch shots on IG. Grow the **** up. I feel sorry for you if your self worth is tied up in what your liquor Cabinet looks like.

Bourbon should be about drinking what you love with good friends and enjoying one of life's sweet offerings. Friday night I went to a good friend's house and had some amazing bottles. Weller FP, Blood Oath, WT 17 BiB, KY Owl Rye, the list goes on. I don't think a single bottle was purchased beyond MSRP (maybe some retail markup but that's it). I didn't even take pictures. Just enjoyed catching up with some friends I hadn't seen in a while and drinking some damn good juice. The more people that embrace that the sooner we'll be over the insanity (yeah I know I'm not holding my breath). Rant over.

#dontpaysecondary
mazag08
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Ya his beat down of Basil Hayden's was on point. It's nothing special and the reason it's smooth is because it's been proofed down so much.

I also loved his comments on EHT. Definitely good stuff, and worth a good price, but stop paying double MSRP.
CharlieBrown17
AG
third coast.. said:

That group is the worst.

Agreed finally bailed out of it.

Can only take so much fabricated outrage and posts of cars full of shelfies
RenoAg
Just cracked open a Bookers 2015-3 Center Cut. Fantastic. Enthusiastic recommend if you can get your hands on one. Cork broke off when I opened it so I had to perform a little surgery to fix the situation. Well worth that extra effort.
mazag08
AG
The only Bookers I've had is Granny's Batch. For those that have tried many, or all, what is the variation like from release to release, and year to year? I've heard many state that there's two good releases a year and two "meh". I absolutely love Granny batch and am wondering if I should go for the Boston batch when it starts getting released, but not sure I want to pay the up charge they added.
Bunk Moreland
That video shouldn't offend 99% of bourbon drinkers. The takeaway is that people are paying stupid money for bourbons that aren't truly worth the price. People pay stupid money for status symbols all the time. Most of his comments (like 'I wouldn't pay this much for x bottle') are obvious. I'm not spending more than probably a 5% markup on top of msrp... Maybe 10% if it's something like Stagg which I've never bought. But I'm not paying 2x,3x etc.

I do fully agree with his sentiment and most of his opinions though. Bourbon has been too hot for 10 years now so I don't see it going away.

Does suck when you can't find a bottle like weller 12 that you never even questioned would be on the shelf 5 years ago.
mazag08
AG
Good take. In reality, something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. The end. So no matter their goal, if they are willing to buy $60 whiskey for $200, then congrats to the seller.

My goal is to find the best bang for the buck. It's nice to have a unicorn every once in a while, but I'm perfectly happy with KC 9, Russels SB, OF 1920, and throwing in a bookers, Elijah craig, and eagle rare if found at MSRP.
MW03
AG
It's an odd conundrum. There's so many offerings out there, and it's hard to just gamble on a label. So you go for word of mouth, and often times find yourself right back in the same spot chasing the things everyone else is. Otherwise, you're just throwing $50 darts.

I think I'm just going to start buying based on age statements and proof, and stop trying to research ahead of time entirely. Staying away from lists and reddit and everything. Especially since Belle Meade Cask appears to be sourced MGP bourbon, and it's one the very best bottles I've bought in the last couple of years, and I found it by just randomly throwing a dart one day.

ClickClack
AG
Entertaining video. Seems like a very fair analysis to me.

I've never understood the basil Hayden love. Glad to get that validated.
ClickClack
AG
mazag08 said:

The only Bookers I've had is Granny's Batch. For those that have tried many, or all, what is the variation like from release to release, and year to year? I've heard many state that there's two good releases a year and two "meh". I absolutely love Granny batch and am wondering if I should go for the Boston batch when it starts getting released, but not sure I want to pay the up charge they added.

Boston batch is on shelves. Saw one the other day but I'm in the NE. I personally loved beaten biscuits but that's the only batch I've had in the last 4-5 years.

I always want to buy bookers but I agree with that video that it's overpriced. $50-$60 seems fair.
AggieBarstool
MW03 said:

I think I'm just going to start buying based on age statements and proof, and stop trying to research ahead of time entirely. Staying away from lists and reddit and everything. Especially since Belle Meade Cask appears to be sourced MGP bourbon, and it's one the very best bottles I've bought in the last couple of years, and I found it by just randomly throwing a dart one day.
Truth!

I had Belle Meade's entry-level offering last night and thought it was damned tasty and smooth for a $40 bourbon you can find literally anywhere in DFW. Gonna have to give that one a try once my bourbon assortment starts thinning out.
Superdave1993
AG
I pretty much stopped buying it after the price increase.
ClickClack
AG
Superdave1993 said:

I pretty much stopped buying it after the price increase.

It's gotten crazy. I remember buying it maybe 7-8 years ago for $50. I think I could find it sub-$50 at spec's on sale if I remember right.
Superdave1993
AG
That was where it was when I finally tried it, and really liked it. Nursed that bottle a while and went to grab another and "boom" there was the new price. I am too cheap to risk a bad bottle at the new price. Plus if I add a little more and wait I can usually end up with something else from my local store's drawing. I have gotten two EC18 at retail since that bookers.
ClickClack
AG

I want to try this but can't find it anywhere near me.

For those who don't read r/bourbon on reddit, this guy's reviews are pretty funny and now I can't stop thinking about mellow corn. He's a budget bourbon guy, which is kind of fun too to find good sub-$20 bottles. I'm starting to think I'd rather spend my time on that than hunting down Elmer T. Lee or Rock Hill Farms.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bourbon/comments/gxg1xm/review_1_a_thinly_veiled_ploy_to_get_a_flair_that/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

https://www.reddit.com/r/bourbon/comments/hxdp7j/not_mellow_corn_review_8_trash_garbage_refuse_no/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

https://www.reddit.com/r/bourbon/comments/i1ix4k/not_mellow_corn_review_9_ancient_ancient_ancient/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x
V8Aggie
AG
ClickClack said:

I want to try this but can't find it anywhere near me.

For those who don't read r/bourbon on reddit, this guy's reviews are pretty funny and now I can't stop thinking about mellow corn. He's a budget bourbon guy, which is kind of fun too to find good sub-$20 bottles. I'm starting to think I'd rather spend my time on that than hunting down Elmer T. Lee or Rock Hill Farms.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bourbon/comments/gxg1xm/review_1_a_thinly_veiled_ploy_to_get_a_flair_that/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

https://www.reddit.com/r/bourbon/comments/hxdp7j/not_mellow_corn_review_8_trash_garbage_refuse_no/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

https://www.reddit.com/r/bourbon/comments/i1ix4k/not_mellow_corn_review_9_ancient_ancient_ancient/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x
I enjoyed my taste. See them all over the place in Houston.
Post removed:
by user
CactusThomas
AG
I'll check the dates on mine
Elsjuan
AG
I have 7-17-20
With a sharpie it can be 7-27. Pokerface
First Page Last Page
Page 505 of 1111

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.