Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,750,179 Views | 37551 Replies | Last: 35 min ago by FTAC2011
tlepoC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Picked up some old forester 1920 prohibition style. Really really enjoying the depth.
07fta07
AG
One of the best readily available bottles out there
GarlandAg2012
AG
tlepoC said:

Picked up some old forester 1920 prohibition style. Really really enjoying the depth.

Had my first pour of that last night, really enjoyed it and love that it's not hard to find.
CactusThomas
AG
CactusThomas
AG
#pourdecisions

Latrobe
AG
Some great pick ups this weekend and today! The ER picks are from Costco. The Whistle Pig is actually a 16 year barrel pick from HBS and is unreal!

And then my local mom and pop came through with my first bottle of W12 and ETL! He set them aside for me over the weekend and when I stopped in this afternoon he pulled them out. Good man!

It pays to establish a relationship with a local mom and pop. I may pay an extra $2 for a bottle of wine.....but he treats me like a human, unlike that ***** at Specs.
mazag08
AG
Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel is sounding like it's an oakier, spicier Woodford Double Oaked.

Good thing it will be almost impossible to find.
V8Aggie
AG
Latrobe said:

Some great pick ups this weekend and today! The ER picks are from Costco. The Whistle Pig is actually a 16 year barrel pick from HBS and is unreal!

And then my local mom and pop came through with my first bottle of W12 and ETL! He set them aside for me over the weekend and when I stopped in this afternoon he pulled them out. Good man!

It pays to establish a relationship with a local mom and pop. I may pay an extra $2 for a bottle of wine.....but he treats me like a human, unlike that ***** at Specs.

Nice man... I swear if the guy at specs tells me to buy 1835 or potstill one more time I am going to lose it. I know he has a job to do, but when I politely say I am just browsing and he pushes that **** it really irks me.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I think it'll eventually settle into Blantons level of findable

Only getting up to 150 on secondary right at launch when demand should be highest
GarlandAg2012
AG
Latrobe said:

Great haul. How available are costco picks? Do they sell out same day usually? Never had an ER store pick and would like to try one someday.
Latrobe
AG
It was actually the second time I had ever stepped foot in Costco!

Woodlands store: had two cases of the 375 bottles sitting front and center at 10am on Friday morning so I grabbed two (Limit two per customer). I stopped back in on Saturday morning and they were gone.

AGdent07
AG
I hope that WP 10 year rye is a lot better than the last store pick I got. I really enjoy the WP 12yr old world cask.
Latrobe
AG
It's really good! It was an "all female" group through HBS that did the pick. Label says 10 year, but apparently it's a 16 year.
AGdent07
AG
I actually got a bottle just haven't picked it up yet. My old pick was from Flaks. I brought it to a bottle share and we all agreed that it was not good. Had a funky finish to it. I've heard good feedback on this bottle so hopefully it's a lot better.
Latrobe
AG
This was my last experience there this past Thursday:

I'm walking to the check out with my arms loaded up. Two bottles of wine, a four pack of Ghost in the Machine, and some margarita mix.

As I'm approaching the cashier I see a manager looking guy and decide to ask (with the recent postings of huge deliveries of BT products) if they got any ER in. It's my favorite for the money! It's not what I walked in there for, but might as well ask!

Me: Did y'all happen to get any ER this week?
Him: No
Me: (smiling) oh well, always worth asking I guess! Always looking for that good stuff!
Him: oh I have plenty of good stuff, just not that over rated crap you guys are always looking for.

Me: Do I know you? Have I offended you on some other visit by purchasing the products you sell? (No I didn't say that....just shook my head)

I get it.....grown men hounding him constantly, bla bla bla.

If someone is a jerk to you, then I get. But not the case here.

AGdent07
AG
You must have been at my specs or TW. The managers there are customer service experts. Who would of thought that customers asking for assistance and willing to spend money would elicit such an unwelcome retort.
07fta07
AG
I've never been in a Spec's where they don't treat you like crap for asking about allocateds. If they'd put them on the shelf or actually use their points system as it's designed instead of holding them for the manager's friends, they'd get a lot less questions/complaints about it.

That said, the allocation game is ridiculous and then you have all these hoarders (flippers) who make it even worse. But Spec's is in the liquor business and people are trying to give them money for their products...and then they act like asses about it. Definitely makes me want to give my business to TW and other stores where they treat me well.
Farmer1906
AG
Based on some of the recommendations I've been given or heard, they have no idea what "the good stuff" is.
Farmer1906
AG
The experience is almost always better in smaller stores. Mom and pop may charge a few bucks extra, but I'd rather support them.
Naveronski
AG
Total Wine in Fort Worth also plays the "manager's friends get the rarer bottles" game.
07fta07
AG
I think they all do it to some extent, but at least the TWs in the Houston area do put it on the shelf. Maybe not all of it, but a good bit of it. I think there's always going to be holdover for good customers/managers friends (whether that's right or wrong).
tandrus
AG
AggieBarstool said:

MW03 said:

I think I'm just going to start buying based on age statements and proof, and stop trying to research ahead of time entirely. Staying away from lists and reddit and everything. Especially since Belle Meade Cask appears to be sourced MGP bourbon, and it's one the very best bottles I've bought in the last couple of years, and I found it by just randomly throwing a dart one day.
Truth!

I had Belle Meade's entry-level offering last night and thought it was damned tasty and smooth for a $40 bourbon you can find literally anywhere in DFW. Gonna have to give that one a try once my bourbon assortment starts thinning out.
Y'all better go grab as much of it as you can. Rumor around Nashville is that Belle Meade is moving away from their single barrel cask strength reserve.
SpiderDude
AG
07fta07 said:

I've never been in a Spec's where they don't treat you like crap for asking about allocateds. If they'd put them on the shelf or actually use their points system as it's designed instead of holding them for the manager's friends, they'd get a lot less questions/complaints about it.

That said, the allocation game is ridiculous and then you have all these hoarders (flippers) who make it even worse. But Spec's is in the liquor business and people are trying to give them money for their products...and then they act like asses about it. Definitely makes me want to give my business to TW and other stores where they treat me well.

Have you ever tried to contact corporate leadership in this? I'm sure they'd appreciate the feedback. If there's a customer survey process I'd take advantage and be honest with your feedback.
CactusThomas
AG
I've had some crazy good experiences with Spec's and I hardly shop there anymore. When I lived in College Station, I shopped there almost exclusively. I had a lot of key points and got a lot of allocated bottles because of it. Then I graduated and moved away. I get a call from them one day a long time after I had even been in the store and they have a Parker's Heritage for me -- they said that store got one bottle and I was the only name on the list for it. I picked it up the next gameday weekend.

In Corpus, I hardly ever go to Specs. I bought a couple Rare Breeds there last year. My wife got to talking with the guy about how crazy it was that Eagle Rare was allocated at Spec's (its easy to find on the shelf at Spanky's). She gets me signed up for a bunch of crap and I think she's wasting her time because I shop at Spanky's and TW. Couple months later they call me with a THH.
MJ20/20
AG
If you can without a doubt prove that Spec's managers and/or employees are reserving allocated bottles for friends or family you can expect action from Smith St. They don't mess around with that. They nuked the entire day shift at a northwest houston Spec's over a similar incident. I wasn't involved but knew several that were, as well as, the employees in question. It was a walk in and clean house 5 minute meeting that involved everyone from day shift manager down. This was one of the reasons Spec's no longer allows employees to purchase allocated bottles at the location they work at. That was a big part of the problem.
MJ20/20
AG
Not that anyone wants to get someone fired over a bottle of bourbon, but know that you do have some leverage in the discussion.
PearlandAg09
AG
Specs always seems to have a condescending vibe to it, specifically the one on Smith St and the gentleman that's always there during the day on weekdays. Always trying to give unsolicited advice and shoe you off at the same time.
07fta07
AG
I know exactly who you're talking about
lazuras_dc
AG
I just picked up a bottle of old forrester 1920 prohibition edition today per a friends recommendation.
betadawg1
AG
Found these today at another hole in the wall. The brown rice is pretty good, very unique flavor. The high rye is next.
austinag1997
AG
The ECBP has been pretty tasty. Just finished my 4th bottle, and sourced 4 more. Batch B520.
tripperwill
AG
Agreed, I was surprised how much I liked the brown rice. Most of the others in the collection though I wasn't a huge fan.
RaylanGivens
MJ20/20 said:

If you can without a doubt prove that Spec's managers and/or employees are reserving allocated bottles for friends or family you can expect action from Smith St. They don't mess around with that. They nuked the entire day shift at a northwest houston Spec's over a similar incident. I wasn't involved but knew several that were, as well as, the employees in question.

Damn, so that's what happened at the Jersey Village Store.
djmeen95
AG
Opened this up today and, at a $32.97 price point, it's a damn good pour.

100 proof, sippable and smooth.

If ya see it on shelf I'd recommend grabbing a bottle or two!

Sazerac
AG
One of my least favorite bottles
First Page Last Page
Page 506 of 1073

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.