Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,916,489 Views | 39209 Replies | Last: 57 min ago by ConfidentAg
mazag08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FriedTex said:

They price that bottle weird. Some places sell it for 45 others 25ish. It's definitely a 25dollar bottle as opposed to higher

The rep that recommended it to me said he had tried a store pick. I could definitely seeing that be worth $40 and being a lot better. The one I have isn't worth $20. It has an almost sour aftertaste, which is why I use it in cocktails.
Boro Ag 2000
AG
Makers cask - the 19-02 batch (109.6 proof)
the dude10
AG
MW03 said:

You guys ever seen any Weller 107 single barrel selects?

I have a couple, and it's by far the best weller product I have tried. Really enjoy it
Pasquale Liucci
AG
That's interesting, when I started getting into wheat more I was so excited to try the Woodford. Maybe I need to try it again but it just didn't agree with me. Completely agree on the Larceny though. Haven't had a chance to grab the barrel proof yet but for a $25 bottle the 92 proof is an incredible value.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Would agree on this. Not a lot of bourbons I would take over it
mazag08
AG
You and I might just have very different tastes as well. That's what great about the abundance of whiskey out there. Something for everyone.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Larceny barrel proof is fine.

Thought it was a bit thin, but not unhappy with the purchase.
Fall92
AG
Lester Freamon said:

Out of curiosity, do you have a go to wheater that's readily available at retail?
Any of the MMPS are good and available. I also always pick up a Redemption Wheated whenever I see one. I think they're pretty good.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
87Flyfisher
AG
Bought the Early Times BiB today based on posts in this thread. Better than half of the bourbons I have paid 3x the money for.
MW03
AG
87Flyfisher said:

Bought the Early Times BiB today based on posts in this thread. Better than half of the bourbons I have paid 3x the money for.
Excellent. I'm glad I'm not crazy. It's a sleeper bottle for sure.
SpiderDude
AG
Lester Freamon said:

For all the wheated bourbon fans out there, check out the Treaty Oak Ghost Hill Texas Bourbon. Picked up a bottle yesterday at Total Wine in The Woodlands and I was blown away. Best wheated bourbon I have had lately that's not Weller Antique. Bottled at 47.5% ABV.

TW had some of their cask strength store picks for $60 that's I'm kicking myself for not picking up.

Anyone else checked this one out?

I dig it. I have a 120 proof store pick of it. It does have a "grassy" note but in a weird way I like that. Yes it's young juice but Texas bourbon doesn't age like other places so you generally have to pull the barrel while it's young before the Texas heat over powers it.
dmart90
AG
I know it's not bourbon, but have you guys seen the Balcones Texas Bock Straight Malt Whiskey? Not normally a huge fan of the Balcones expressions, but this one seems pretty good and flavorful. The bottle says it is made from the exact Shiner Bock mashbill and fermented with their proprietary yeast strain...aged for at least 24 months in oak barrels.

I also grabbed a bottle of Ben Milan Single Barrel. It's decent - not super oakey and kind of light is the best way I can describe it. The wife and I are planning to do their Father's Day "Bottle Your Own" Whiskey Experience. Hopefully it's fun.

Also grabbed a bottle of Knob Creek 12 Year Old. Haven't cracked it open yet.

Finally, I've seen y'all talking about Pinhook. I got bottle of that in Louisville at Westport several years back. I'm starting to see it around Austin - three different bottles. Which one(s) have you tried?

Got and saw all this at the new Specs in Cedar Park. The also have Buffalo Trace and Weller Special Reserve at the correct price...
“Ambition is when you expect yourself to close the gap between what you have and what you want.

Entitlement is when you expect others to close the gap between what you have and what you want.”— James Clear
AggBock
AG
Anybody in DFW searching for ECBP or Eagle Rare1.75 let me know
HouseDivided06
AG
I'd be interested in ECBP
FTAco07
AG
Yes to both here
BR 82
Need to restock on ER
Naveronski
AG
Interested in either/both.
AggBock
AG
I sold the ER in last minute auction. Still got two batches of ECBP. Please PM
ThatOneGuy
AG
I'm out in North Carolina on a fishing trip and went into one of the state liquor stores. There was a shelf full of eagle rare, Elijah Craig barrel proof and Yamazaki 12. A little different than I am used to in Houston. A grabbed two eagle rare and a ECBP.
William Larue Weller
AG
AggBock said:

Anybody in DFW searching for ECBP or Eagle Rare1.75 let me know
I'm interested if any left, but I don't have PM access...
Furlock Bones
AG
Johnsy3 said:

mazag08 said:

Time, experience, passion..

To most people, whiskey is whiskey. You throw it down your throat, wince, make some joke about being tough because you stomached whiskey, then you go drink your hop flavored piss water.

Most of us, at some point, realized that when sipped at the right temperature and at the right pace, there were flavors beyond the standard "whiskey" flavor that we were tasting. Then we got curious. We started reading about the different types. We starting buying. Then we compare them. The we read more, engage our friends and family, taste more, but more. On and on.

Whiskey is unrivaled except for wine in the nuances and variety of flavors you can get. The whiskey world is crazy, but once you learn the basics of bourbon, irish, scotch, Canadian, etc it really isn't hard to form the knowledge.
Perfect post. When I first started drinking whiskey it was jack n cokes and 7-and-7s til one day I noticed I kept wanting more "whiskey" taste. Then I bought a few random bottles and added a splash of soda; then ice and water instead of soda; then just ice; and now 95% of the time I drink whiskey neat.

Then I went kind of backwards - I started getting into scotch once I realized I liked whiskey. A few years ago I started getting into bourbon and now I've recently been trying out different ryes.

Speaking of rye whiskeys - what are y'all's favorites?

What I've tried and how I personally rate it:
  • Knob Creek Cask Strength - 9
  • High West Double Rye! Rum Cask finished (Spec's Pick) - 8.6
  • Whistlepig 12 Yr Old World Cask (Spec's Pick) - 8.5
  • E.H. Taylor Straight Rye - 8.4
  • Whistlepig 10 Yr - 8.2
  • Bulleit Rye (great for cocktails) - 7.5
  • Knob Creek Rye - 7.4
  • High West Double Rye! - 7
  • Rittenhouse Rye (what I usually use for cocktails) 6.8
  • Sazerac Rye 6.6

Bottles I reeeally want to try:
  • A Midwinter Night's Dram
  • THH
  • Boss Hog

Oregon Spirit Rye is one of the most interesting whiskies I own. Not like anything else and thats what i enjoy about it so much.
MOCO9
AG
Picked up two bottles of ECBP on the shelf in Cuero, TX today. Really glad I decided to stop and take a look!
Goldie Wilson
ThatOneGuy said:

I'm out in North Carolina on a fishing trip and went into one of the state liquor stores. There was a shelf full of eagle rare, Elijah Craig barrel proof and Yamazaki 12. A little different than I am used to in Houston. A grabbed two eagle rare and a ECBP.
Where? It's almost impossible to find any of that on the shelf in Raleigh it seems like it.
AggBock
AG
I am looking to trade for weller antique or Blantons. Or my cost which is 80. Have these?
agcrock2005
AG
AggBock said:

I am looking to trade for weller antique or Blantons. Or my cost which is 80. Have these?

You paid $80 for an ECBP that you don't even want? Wow.

EDIT: added the bold part...
SpiderDude
AG
AggBock said:

Why trade... you have the best bottle of the 3 IMO?!
ThatOneGuy
AG
This was in Asheville. I stopped by another store in town hoping for similar, but they were pretty limited.
Daytona22
AG
I'm headed up to Asheville in 3 weeks or so over the Fourth of July. can you share the store you stopped in for the ecbp?? Looking to pick some stuff up for the week and would like to go somewhere that has a decent selection.
WreckitRalph90
AG
Anyone know what time of the year they like to release Stagg jr?
SpiderDude
AG
10 Year WP Store Pick (16 year barrel with the 10 year SiB label) released today at OLC. Limit one.

https://instagr.am/p/CBOtjBal9bN
CharlieBrown17
AG
^already gone
Bunk Moreland
I have not been a fan of hardly anything Whistlepig that I've been able to taste over the last few years but I'd love to know how that is.
SpiderDude
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

^already gone

All his prime store picks usually sell out same day. I literally turned around to go get this when I saw it had hit.
RGRAg1/75
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

I have not been a fan of hardly anything Whistlepig that I've been able to taste over the last few years but I'd love to know how that is.

Same.
ThatOneGuy
AG
It was the ABC state liquor store right by the airport. They had the good stuff on a separate display and on the counter near the bourbon wall. I can't say if their selection is always that good or if I just had a timely visit. I cracked open the ECBP tonight, so good.
First Page Last Page
Page 462 of 1121

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.