Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,749,172 Views | 37531 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Aggie Therapist
the dude10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Y'all covered most of the ryes, but nobody mentioned michters cask strength and I think it's pretty solid.
austinag1997
AG
jh0400 said:

WreckitRalph90 said:

I need to find me a good liquor store to be a regular at. (Should have started when I moved to cedar park a few years ago)

This is easier said than done unless you're content to buy a bunch of fairly uninteresting things in hopes of getting a call when they get an allocated bottle.

Somewhat true. I have a whole lot of drinking time between prime bourbon releases. Where you choose to make those purchases probably makes a big difference come BTAC season.
agcrock2005
AG
cclearman said:

THH

They are never in store. Saved for bar/restaurants as far As I can tell.
I bought one at liquor store in Colleyville for $79 last year.
austinag1997
AG
agcrock2005 said:

cclearman said:

THH

They are never in store. Saved for bar/restaurants as far As I can tell.
I bought one at liquor store in Colleyville for $79 last year.

CharlieBrown17
AG
the dude10 said:

Y'all covered most of the ryes, but nobody mentioned michters cask strength and I think it's pretty solid.

Another really good one

Snagged a case (3 bottles) at MSRP this year
the dude10
AG
Y'all nailed the EHT rye also, I wanted to like it a lot more than I actually like it. I will still drink it but don't think I will purchase again at the price with all the other great rye options out there. Many others I prefer at half the price, or less
Johnsy3
AG
I love the EHT Rye; it tastes just like EHT small batch with just a spicy, rye finish. I guess it helps that EHT is one of my favorite bourbons

I agree with the price point, though. I've never bought a bottle for myself.
jh0400
AG
austinag1997 said:

jh0400 said:

WreckitRalph90 said:

I need to find me a good liquor store to be a regular at. (Should have started when I moved to cedar park a few years ago)

This is easier said than done unless you're content to buy a bunch of fairly uninteresting things in hopes of getting a call when they get an allocated bottle.

Somewhat true. I have a whole lot of drinking time between prime bourbon releases. Where you choose to make those purchases probably makes a big difference come BTAC season.

I just don't drink that much shelf bourbon. Most everything I have are special releases, store picks, or other spirits like scotch or rum.
CactusThomas
AG
Lol 'shelf bourbon'
austinag1997
AG
jh0400 said:

austinag1997 said:

jh0400 said:

WreckitRalph90 said:

I just don't drink that much shelf bourbon. Most everything I have are special releases, store picks, or other spirits like scotch or rum.

I have access to store picks year round, and consume a lot of rum. Those puchases are made at a single liquor store, and it is respected by the owner.
MOCO9
AG
Just picked up a Specs Smooth Ambler Old Scout store pick. Delicious.
jh0400
AG
If I had a store around that was more likely than not to have what I want in stock I'd probably do the same. The problem is that the store closest to me where I spend the most (Rice Liquor) doesn't get many picks, and the store that has a lot of picks (Tony K's) doesn't have much else worth buying.
austinag1997
AG
My store is 30 - 40 min from my house, so there is that. Typically along my commute, though. Except when he tells me to show up on a Saturday night for some unknown reason.
Sixdrakes
AG
mazag08, where are you located? I have the High West Double Rye finished in Rum cask selected by Specs. I'm willing to let it go.
mazag08
AG
Houston. Would definitely be interested.
WreckitRalph90
AG
Haha that moment when you just go into your total wine and bs with the purchasing manager and he gives you larceny BP .
Sixdrakes
AG
I'm in Katy. Send me a DM if you want to discuss.
Fall92
AG
I'll say this about Tony's- they always have a store pick 4RBS OESK and OGD114. I also picked up a 1.75 of ER there.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
Sazerac
AG
Knob Creek Rye is nice. Barely tastes like the cheaper Ryes I normally drink. Maybe because it's 100 proof.
Dig Doug
AG
I'm wondering if anyone else on here was able to snag a bottle of Ironroot Republic Harbinger "Magic Manna" Bourbon on Friday. I was lucky enough to get 1 of 146 bottles released that sold out in 45 seconds online. Would love to compare notes. I thought it was absolutely tasty and for me miles better than the original Harbinger. Totally different mash bill though.
MW03
AG
Maybe my pallet sucks, but I really like Early Times BiB. It's fantastic for the price.
austinag1997
AG
Fall92 said:

I'll say this about Tony's- they always have a store pick 4RBS OESK and OGD114. I also picked up a 1.75 of ER there.

There is nothing wrong with a 4RBS. I have an OBSO specifically selected by Jim Rutledge in 2013.
'03ag
WreckitRalph90 said:

Haha that moment when you just go into your total wine and bs with the purchasing manager and he gives you larceny BP .
I'm so out of the loop since I almost never bother with special releases or hard to find stuff. I didn't know Larceny had a barrel proof. They're one of favorite "value" Bourbons. No one seems to know how good it is. Hope people don't start hoarding the standard bottling for no reason.
Boro Ag 2000
AG
Did a blind tasting of 5 recently with my brother-in-law, and Early Times BiB was #1 in his ranking and #2 In mine. It's very good, imo.

Others included were Makers cask, Blanton's, 4R SiB, and McKenna 10.
SpiderDude
AG
MW03 said:

Maybe my pallet sucks, but I really like Early Times BiB. It's fantastic for the price.

I know of at least one other poster on here that raves about it. I'm kinda starting to feel the same way about Old Grandad Bonded. Just a great all around bourbon for the low 20's price point. Will stand up for itself neat or in cocktails/mixers.
SpiderDude
AG
Boro Ag 2000 said:

Did a blind tasting of 5 recently with my brother-in-law, and Early Times BiB was #1 in his ranking and #2 In mine. It's very good, imo.

Others included were Makers cask, Blanton's, 4R SiB, and McKenna 10.

That's a good list. What was your #1?!
austinag1997
AG
Agdent07 and I made a clean trade. The Larceny BP is just about gone. Guess I have learned that the Willett 4-yr Rye is somewhat variable (probably due to rickhouse location).

Agdent07, thanks for the drive.
AGdent07
AG
You're welcome. Sorry we couldn't open up those bottles and share a pour. Maybe next time.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
For all the wheated bourbon fans out there, check out the Treaty Oak Ghost Hill Texas Bourbon. Picked up a bottle yesterday at Total Wine in The Woodlands and I was blown away. Best wheated bourbon I have had lately that's not Weller Antique. Bottled at 47.5% ABV.

TW had some of their cask strength store picks for $60 that's I'm kicking myself for not picking up.

Anyone else checked this one out?
mazag08
AG
Perhaps I got a bad bottle, but the whiskey just isn't right. It tastes extremely young. It's rigid and almost bitter where it's supposed to be smooth.

I only use it for cocktails that I give to guests.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Man, I loved it. There is definitely some grassiness that could be fixed by more aging, I think it's a two year old spirit, but I felt like the wheat and corn was really well balanced and loved the fullness of flavor on the back end. A lot of the other non BT wheated mashbills I have tried feel so thin on the finish.

Out of curiosity, do you have a go to wheater that's readily available at retail?
mazag08
AG
Lester Freamon said:

Man, I loved it. There is definitely some grassiness that could be fixed by more aging, I think it's a two year old spirit, but I felt like the wheat and corn was really well balanced and loved the fullness of flavor on the back end. A lot of the other non BT wheated mashbills I have tried feel so thin on the finish.

Out of curiosity, do you have a go to wheater that's readily available at retail?

Woodford wheat. It's not a bourbon, because wheat is over 50%, but it's as smooth as it gets. $30.

Larceny is as reliable as it gets for $20-$25, though not as heavy on the wheat as the Woodford.

For nearly $40, I wouldn't buy the ghost hill over the Woodford.. ever. But I do think it has potential. I'd love to see what they could do with a little more aging. It's just too raw and young for me.
mazag08
AG
I've also heard good things about Bernheim Wheat whiskey but never tried it.
FriedTex
AG
They price that bottle weird. Some places sell it for 45 others 25ish. It's definitely a 25dollar bottle as opposed to higher
MW03
AG
You guys ever seen any Weller 107 single barrel selects?
First Page Last Page
Page 461 of 1073

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.