Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,890,358 Views | 38888 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by srob2004
SpiderDude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AGdent07 said:

Had a chance to retry Old Forester Birthday Bourbon the other night. It was phenomenal and just as good as I remembered. I've been looking to pick up EHT barrel proof and finally got to sample it. Definitely not worth the secondary market price and I wouldn't give much more than MSRP (good luck).

This got me wondering which bourbons have you tried and been very unimpressed with? Any unicorns that you finally got a hold of only to be very disappointed?

My list of overrated: Weller CYPB, EHT BP, EHT Amaranth, EHT Wharehouse, Eagle Rare BTAC, Pappy 23

I had an EHTBP at a whiskey bar in Pittsburgh, PA last year that I loved. The Amaranth I sampled a small amount at OLC (it wasn't for sale) and I wasn't blown away. I've not had Pappy 23 but I've heard the complaint that you're just chewing on oak after that many years in a barrel. CYPB is pure hype BS. I doubt the average bourbon drinker could decipher it from WSR.
TamuKid
AG
Had OF Birthday at Oak Liquor Cabinet the very first time I visited the store. Owner was handing out samples for the store's birthday/anniversary. He gave it to me blind, I was like holy wow that's good, what is it? He pulled out the bottle. Needless to stay I chatted for a bit as he kept pouring more.

That's probably my dream bottle. Never had any of the other top tier stuff. But I doubt it beats OFBB. Or maybe I just don't want to believe it can, because that'd be mind blowing.
ClickClack
AG
Birthday bourbon def a top 5 want for me. Old forester is so good. Even their lower tier 86 and 100 proof is so good at the price point.
Fall92
AG
OF1920
ER
WT RB
EC
OGD 114
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
schwack schwack
AG
There are secondary groups on facebook?!?
AggBock
AG
Yes. They are just not as in the open anymore. It is keeping this market surge inflated unfortunately. Bottles are getting kept like baseball cards in the 80's. I found I can get the hard to find stuff like eagle rare and EHT at below local store prices so it is kind of nice. For example. Eagle rare is not in shelf's here but I can get it for around 40. To ship from California is 60 plus due to shipping cost.
Sazerac
AG
Ordered for pickup tomorrow a WT 101 and a Knob Creek 120. Trying some new things.
MW03
AG
I don't think much of Sazerac Rye.
showtime
AG
https://giphy.com/gifs/the-big-lebowski-jeff-bridges-joel-coen-7BK3ZB7nNf2Jq
MW03
AG
showtime said:

https://giphy.com/gifs/the-big-lebowski-jeff-bridges-joel-coen-7BK3ZB7nNf2Jq
CactusThomas
AG
You will not be disappointed
CharlieBrown17
AG
MW03 said:

I don't think much of Sazerac Rye.

It's pretty bland. I agree

Fought through a bottle, mostly in cocktails, haven't even thought of replacing it
RenoAg
True story on the ETL death bottle. That's the bottle that hooked me into the bourbon craze. Had never even had a neat pour of bourbon prior to that. Owner of a mom and pop liquor store had to convince me to buy it off his shelf and try it. Guess he was tired of selling me Crown. Ha! One taste and I was hooked. The next few years were a blur of hunting. But I still say that death bottle has extra special juice in it. I've got an unopened one in my bunker. I'm too afraid to crack it open and discover that it's really not as special as I remember it. I will add that I've not been all that impressed with the ETL bottles I got in the subsequent years but to each their own. Only other unopened ETL I have is a 2014 that has one of those Select stickers on it. Back before store picks became more of a thing like it is now. I bought 4 bottles of it I stumbled upon at a store back then and gave 2 to a buddy of mine. He drank both of his and swore they were awesome. I donated one bottle to an online charity raffle. I've just never circled back to try my remaining one.

That's all my ETL tales. Carry on.
AggBock
AG
Picked up a Blantons and Eagle Rare for my Weller 12 trade today. Can't wait to try them! Also got a ECBP this week at a store.
HouseDivided06
AG
AggBock said:

Picked up a Blantons and Eagle Rare for my Weller 12 trade today. Can't wait to try them! Also got a ECBP this week at a store.
Personally, this is the gem of that bunch.
Sazerac
AG
What a trade and a score
agcrock2005
AG
cclearman said:

What a trade and a score

Craziest part is the other side probably feels like they won. Insane.
Naveronski
AG
agcrock2005 said:

cclearman said:

What a trade and a score

If both people can walk away thinking they got a great deal, isn't that the goal?
agcrock2005
AG
Naveronski said:

agcrock2005 said:

cclearman said:

What a trade and a score

If both people can walk away thinking they got a great deal, isn't that the goal?
Of course it is. Didn't say that one side got screwed. I think he got a great deal. Again, just commenting on my surprise at the value some people are giving for W12. They're great to have if you want to trade for something that's for sure.
Goodest Poster
AG
Bumping thread because i found some Blantons. Already traded what i found but a couple more bottles of single barrel on the way early next week.

A friend who sells bulk wine is hunting it for me. Pm if you have interest. Is there already an " Eye Guy" for alcohol on the board? Ha.
jetch17
AG
Shot you a note.
TAM85
Anyone interested in acquiring a Blanton's for a Col. E H Taylor single barrel?
jetch17
AG
I'll throw a small batch and an ER
BT1395
AG
PM sent - thanks!
TAM85
If that reply was to me, I would rather not. Spec's has small batch from time to time.
jetch17
AG
TAM85 said:

If that reply was to me, I would rather not. Spec's has small batch from time to time.

Right on, just looking to drink/have a blantons in the cabinet as I'm not chasing it nor been able to find it, but not looking to flip either.

I'll pay a LITTLE over msrp cash if interested, but not paying out the ass like others whipped up on the secondary
TAM85
I appreciate that. I am not looking to sell it. Just thought I may trade it for something I haven't had in the house but have liked in a bar. Cheers
jetch17
AG
All good, no sweat
CactusThomas
AG

Woodinville bourbon finished in port casks
mazag08
AG
And..

You gonna fill us in one what it's like?
Texas_Aggie91
AG
I've had the woodinville straight bourbon and really liked it. Haven't tried port barrel. Kinda turned off by that since I don't like the angels envy finish in port.

EHT SiB is one of my favorite pours right now.
CactusThomas
AG
I like it. Lots of flavor for a low proof 'bourbon' that's about 6 years old. But so much of that flavor is from the port cask. I really like some finished bourbons but I prefer it be more subtle. But I still like it and would recommend it. Obviously, there are better values out there. If you're looking to try something different its worth a go.

I've been up to the distillery a few times over the years. These guys are doing things the right way. Or at least saying the right things. Glad to see them getting distribution all the way down in south Texas.
Wheatables02
AG
Since everyone is going crazy on trades, I offer this one for DFW.

I have 2 Eagle Rare 750's and wanting to trade for 2 Russell's Reserve Store Picks, any store.

PM or post below.
Post removed:
by user
Sazerac
AG
The KC 120 is a smooooth badass

WT101 isn't bad for the money at all. Could be a daily pour since it's easier to find these days than BT.
First Page Last Page
Page 447 of 1112

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.