Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,847,621 Views | 38480 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by rca21978
Wheatables02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

Elmer T Lee isnt super rare. It's just a good solid bourbon that has gotten caught up in the general insanity that people currently have about anything made at the Buffalo Trace distillery. Lee was about a $26 bottle when your father bought it, and it mostly sat on shelves at that price.

If you wanted to try to fl I'l p it, you could probably make a little bit of cash, but I would guess it wouldn't come close to the sentimental value of enjoying the bottle in your father's memory.

I'm going to LOL when its an ETL death bottle...
AggBock
AG
Just know that the pappy can sell open. I see open bottles go often. You need to build up a reputation first before you can unload it for what is worth though.
CactusThomas
AG
I don't know about all that
Scotts Tot
AG
Poll question for the regulars here:

If you only wanted to keep a supply of 4-5 bourbons on hand, and you were limiting yourself to bourbons that are generally available in a retail setting (no hunting for unicorns, popping into stores multiple times a week, trading bottles, etc.) what would make your list?

I enjoy bourbon a lot, but I'm in a life phase that just doesn't allow me the time to make a hobby out of it. I don't mind spending $50-60 for something I really like because I don't blow through my inventory that fast anyway. I really like spicier stuff like Four Roses, but also enjoy the more middle-of-the-road Buffalo Trace flavor profile as well. Interested to hear some thoughts...

Short version: what are your top 5 bourbons that are readily available?
Cowboy Curtis
AG
RR SB
Makers CS
Four Roses SB
Old Forester 1870-1920
Knob Creek
Naveronski
AG
Woodford Double Oaked
Rittenhouse Rye
Four Roses Single Barrel
Pigtails
AG
Would you entertain a trade for one of your CYPB?
Sazerac
AG
Buffalo Trace / Four Roses select or SB
Bulleit Rye for Manhattans and sazeracs
Elijah Craig SB
Any barrel proof or a mid end unicorn (sad that eagle rare is a unicorn in Houston)
Room for a unicorn

AggieBarstool
jc1402 said:

Going to preface this with I am a complete bourbon novice. I know I like bourbon and can generally tell I like the nicer stuff more than the cheap stuff, and I don't like a lot of rye. That is about all I know.

My dad passed a couple years ago and I finally got around to raiding his liquor cabinet last month. He had a couple cheap bottles, a Woodford Reserve. He also had about 1/3 left of a bottle of Pappy and a bottle of Elmer T. Lee unopened.

I figured since the Pappy is already opened, I should continue drinking through that one special occasion at a time.

I am curious about y'all's thoughts on the Elmer T. Lee. Should I hold on to it for a while? Open it after the Pappy? If it is really as rare as you say, I feel like I should hold on to it and work my way up to it. But if it just nice, then I might as well enjoy it.

Bourbon is meant to be enjoyed, not saved. Finish the Pappy, then pop the ETL and smile at the thought of your old man.
jetch17
AG
cclearman, if you need an ER so bad I'll give you one

I seem to come across it regularly around town

I don't mean that snarky, but I have an extra still since I cracked a freshie last night, and happy to pass along ... trust me I got nothin but time to drop off either
agcrock2005
AG
4R SiB
Eagle Rare
EC Sm Batch
OF1910
Woodford Double Oaked (one i have is Goody Goody store pick and it's great)
CactusThomas
AG
WT Rare Breed
Russell's Reserve Single Barrel
KC 120 Single Barrel
Baker's 107 Single Barrel
WT101

honorable mention to OF1920 and 4R SBS
Sazerac
AG
I appreciate that, but I have one on the shelf.
They are so hard to find for me though that I hate to crack it.... same with the Blanton's.
I brought both of those back from Boston end of February.

The scarcity means I can't even enjoy it regularly! That's my complaint about the craze...I'm not out there trying to get Pappy, I just want to be able to find the reasonably priced stuff I like.
HouseDivided06
AG
Great question.

Belle Meade Cask Strength Reserve
Old Forester 1910
Pikesville Rye
Russell's Reserve Single Barrel store pick
1792 Single Barrel Store Pick
TAM85
I haven't seen Old Forester Single Barrel Select get much play but I think it is good.

I like Col. E H Taylor Small Batch and the Single Barrel are both good.
Sazerac
AG
Sipping on the bottom of an EHTSB right now...don't expect to find more anytime soon.
John Francis Donaghy
Wheatables02 said:

Elmer T Lee isnt super rare. It's just a good solid bourbon that has gotten caught up in the general insanity that people currently have about anything made at the Buffalo Trace distillery. Lee was about a $26 bottle when your father bought it, and it mostly sat on shelves at that price.

If you wanted to try to fl I'l p it, you could probably make a little bit of cash, but I would guess it wouldn't come close to the sentimental value of enjoying the bottle in your father's memory.

I'm going to LOL when its an ETL death bottle...

Death bottle?
TamuKid
AG
ETL had a run in 2014 I think, that had cork taint, causing it to taste musty and generally bad. I'm assuming that's what he's referring too. Although I've read you can apparently fix it pretty easily.
TamuKid
AG
For easy to find bottles in Austin area that drink at or above their price point:

OGD 114
Sazerac Rye (for Old fashioneds)
Old Forester 1910/1920
Buffalo Trace
Elijah Craig

Knob Creek 9-15yr, 120 proofers are probably the best, widely available high proof option for the money, IMO too.
Texas_Aggie91
AG
I believe he's talking about the commemorative bottle that goes for $400-500 secondary. Was a rare release after Elmer T Lee's death.
John Francis Donaghy
Texas_Aggie91 said:

I believe he's talking about the commemorative bottle that goes for $400-500 secondary. Was a rare release after Elmer T Lee's death.

Hold up, are you talking about this one?

Wheatables02
AG

Texas_Aggie91 said:

Yes, that one. It's sometimes called the ETL death bottle.
John Francis Donaghy
Ha. That thing been buried in the back of my cabinet for years. I had honestly forgotten about it until last night, and wasn't sure it was even still there until I dug it out after seeing it described here. Is it really worth $400-$500 on secondary?
agcrock2005
AG

Ha. That thing been buried in the back of my cabinet for years. I had honestly forgotten about it until last night, and wasn't sure it was even still there until I dug it out after seeing it described here. Is it really worth $400-$500 on secondary?
In today's world, probably more...Weller Special Reserve is allocated in most places and limit of 1 everywhere else. Anything BT related is gold to the amateurs that buy it all up. If you do facebook get on a group and ask. I'm sure people will start throwing around offers pretty darn quick.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Perfect trade bait. Swap it for a super juicy and funky early nineties Turkey
TamuKid
AG

Texas_Aggie91 said:

Looking real quick on FB, seen sales recently ranging from $450 to $550. Nuts.
I don't get it, really. It's not any different bourbon than a regular ETL, right?
So what, people drop $550 to have it sit on a shelf? Blows my mind (yes, I understand supply and demand, collectors, etc). I just don't understand why people treat a drink like baseball cards, and collect them.
John Francis Donaghy
TamuKid said:

Texas_Aggie91 said:

I don't get it, really. It's not any different bourbon than a regular ETL, right?
So what, people drop $550 to have it sit on a shelf? Blows my mind (yes, I understand supply and demand, collectors, etc). I just don't understand why people treat a drink like baseball cards, and collect them.

The only differences are

1. I belive it is the last round of barrels ETL hand picked before he passed (while he was alive he hand-picked the barrels that went into his namesake bourbon, which is why it was a such a great deal for a while, not sure how the quality has held up since he passed because I haven't gotten my hands on any since then)

2. It is bottled ar 93 proof instead of 90 proof, as an homage to Blantons, which was Lee's signature product creation as master distiller.

(I'm reaching years back in memory for this, so if I'm off base, I'm happy to be corrected.)
Wheatables02
AG

TamuKid said:

Texas_Aggie91 said:

The only differences are

1. I belive it is the last round of barrels ETL hand picked before he passed (while he was alive he hand-picked the barrels that went into his namesake bourbon, which is why it was a such a great deal for a while, not sure how the quality has held up since he passed because I haven't gotten my hands on any since then)

2. It is bottled ar 93 proof instead of 90 proof, as an homage to Blantons, which was Lee's signature product creation as master distiller.

(I'm reaching years back in memory for this, so if I'm off base, I'm happy to be corrected.)
Saw a raffle this morning for $58 a spot with 10 spots. I bet you get $525 no problem without a raffle.
mazag08
AG
FlyFisher09 said:

If you only wanted to keep a supply of 4-5 bourbons on hand, and you were limiting yourself to bourbons that are generally available in a retail setting (no hunting for unicorns, popping into stores multiple times a week, trading bottles, etc.) what would make your list?

I enjoy bourbon a lot, but I'm in a life phase that just doesn't allow me the time to make a hobby out of it. I don't mind spending $50-60 for something I really like because I don't blow through my inventory that fast anyway. I really like spicier stuff like Four Roses, but also enjoy the more middle-of-the-road Buffalo Trace flavor profile as well. Interested to hear some thoughts...

1. Old Forester 100 for my cheap everyday bottle
2. Eagle Rare 10
3. Four Roses Single Barrel
4. Noah's Mill
5. Woodford Reserve Double Oaked
AGdent07
AG
Eagle Rare
WhistlePig 12 year Old Cask Finished
Angel's Envy Finished Rye
1792 Full Proof
Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond or Woodford Double Oaked
Wheatables02
AG
mazag08 said:

FlyFisher09 said:

Russell's Reserve SB
Elijah Craig
Old Forester 1920 or any whiskey row series
Knob Creek Store Pick
Weller Antique

jh0400
AG
EC SmB
OF1897
4RSBS
MMCS
4RSiB
AggBock
AG
Which of the major stores would allow me to get on a list for Pappy or antique collection? I have a Total, goodie goodie and specs all in my area. Twin opening soon.
HouseDivided06
AG
AggBock said:

Which of the major stores would allow me to get on a list for Pappy or antique collection? I have a Total, goodie goodie and specs all in my area. Twin opening soon.
Specs and Total Wine you have spend quite a bit of money to get on a list. Goody Goody you can be a rewards member, and I BELIEVE it is more luck of the draw on whether you get a call for something or not.
AGdent07
AG
Had a chance to retry Old Forester Birthday Bourbon the other night. It was phenomenal and just as good as I remembered. I've been looking to pick up EHT barrel proof and finally got to sample it. Definitely not worth the secondary market price and I wouldn't give much more than MSRP (good luck).

This got me wondering which bourbons have you tried and been very unimpressed with? Any unicorns that you finally got a hold of only to be very disappointed?

My list of overrated: Weller CYPB, EHT BP, EHT Amaranth, EHT Wharehouse, Eagle Rare BTAC, Pappy 23
First Page Last Page
Page 446 of 1100

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.