Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,830,542 Views | 38330 Replies | Last: 36 min ago by MediAg13
Goodest Poster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Edited...seems everyone here can get SB Blantons for 60 bux and its not tough to find.
So i will just bow out.
Goodest Poster
AG
Edit below
SpiderDude
AG
jftx04 said:

Edited...seems everyone here can get SB Blantons for 60 bux and its not tough to find.
So i will just bow out.

What are you looking for to trade for it? Would you take an Old Dusty WT 101 from 2019? I hear that was a great year!
Goodest Poster
AG
SpiderDude said:

jftx04 said:

So i will just bow out.

What are you looking for to trade for it? Would you take an Old Dusty WT 101 from 2019? I hear that was a great year!

Appreciate it. Just gonna stack it next to Bookers 25th im sure i also overpaid for at 1k.
SpiderDude
AG
Roger that.
AggieBarstool
Anybody know where I can find Stagg Jr. in Dallas? Or someone in Dallas willing to trade for Blanton's? I haven't tried Stagg before!
AggieBarstool
Anybody know where I can find Stagg Jr. in Dallas? Or someone in Dallas willing to trade for Blanton's? I haven't tried Stagg before!
AggBock
AG
I am going to echo what others have said on here. I bought a Dickle bottles in bond a month ago and thought it was trash. I tried it again tonight and I am really enjoying it. Drinking it neat in a glencairn glass.
Scotts Tot
AG
Appreciate the responses I received on my post last week asking about favorite widely available bourbons. For those who might be interested, of the 15 or so replies, there was a clear top tier consisting of:

4R SB
OF 1910 and 1920
EC SB

Other popular recommendations were:

RR SB
Knob 120
Woodford Double Oaked
Eagle Rare (not sure how this can be considered widely available)

Any more thoughts from others are welcome...
barney94
AG
Makers Mark Cask Strength
schmellba99
AG
Wheatables02 said:

John Francis Donaghy said:

Elmer T Lee isnt super rare. It's just a good solid bourbon that has gotten caught up in the general insanity that people currently have about anything made at the Buffalo Trace distillery. Lee was about a $26 bottle when your father bought it, and it mostly sat on shelves at that price.

If you wanted to try to fl I'l p it, you could probably make a little bit of cash, but I would guess it wouldn't come close to the sentimental value of enjoying the bottle in your father's memory.

I'm going to LOL when its an ETL death bottle...
One of those is currently sitting in my cabinet
schmellba99
AG
AggBock said:

I am going to echo what others have said on here. I bought a Dickle bottles in bond a month ago and thought it was trash. I tried it again tonight and I am really enjoying it. Drinking it neat in a glencairn glass.
It's not the greatest pour out there, but not a bad one IMO. A bit of weird initial hit on the palate, but for me it smooths out and has a great finish that overrides the initial taste.
MW03
AG
FlyFisher09 said:

Poll question for the regulars here:

If you only wanted to keep a supply of 4-5 bourbons on hand, and you were limiting yourself to bourbons that are generally available in a retail setting (no hunting for unicorns, popping into stores multiple times a week, trading bottles, etc.) what would make your list?

I enjoy bourbon a lot, but I'm in a life phase that just doesn't allow me the time to make a hobby out of it. I don't mind spending $50-60 for something I really like because I don't blow through my inventory that fast anyway. I really like spicier stuff like Four Roses, but also enjoy the more middle-of-the-road Buffalo Trace flavor profile as well. Interested to hear some thoughts...

Short version: what are your top 5 bourbons that are readily available?

I have been really impressed with Knob Creek 12 Yr ($60), and I've seen it on shelves pretty regularly. It's a limited production run, so that will be my +1 nominee.

Other than that, with a $60 ceiling, I think my list would be:

Woodford Double Oak ($48)
Russell's Reserve Single ($55)
Wild Turkey Rare Breed ($49)
Noah's Mill ($53)
Belle Meade Cask ($60)
Bulleit 10 Year ($45)

agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

Belle Meade Cask ($60)
Stuff is awesome.
Bunk Moreland
Top 5 readily available if I kept only those 5... hmm...

Evan Williams Single Barrel
Woodford Reserve
Bulleit
Makers
Four Roses Small Batch

If Weller Special Reserve or Eagle Rare are considered widely available those would both go on the list.
ClickClack
AG
If you like a little higher rye content (which I don't typically but it's nice to change the pace) WT 101 is just a great daily drinker.

Evan Williams BiB...thoughts? For $13.99 I think it's great.
Bunk Moreland
Yep. EW BiB is real solid and at the price point it's fantastic. I'm an EW fan in general. Single barrel neat... If I'm mixing my bourbon with diet coke then I'm buying black label. No better cheap bourbon on the market to mix imo.
Bigfootisreal
Got a bottle of Woodford Reserve Double Oak this weekend- very tasty! Also bought the Knob Creek 12, but haven't opened it yet. Used to love Knob Creek 15 years ago so hopeful this will be excellent.
Baby Billy
MW03
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Top 5 readily available if I kept only those 5... hmm...

Evan Williams Single Barrel
Woodford Reserve
Bulleit
Makers
Four Roses Small Batch

If Weller Special Reserve or Eagle Rare are considered widely available those would both go on the list.

Weller SR at MSRP is one of the best bottles out there. Rock solid at that price point.
betadawg1
AG
Since Elmer T. Lee was being discussed. Here is a picture of 3 different bottles.

The normal bottle is 90 proof.
The death bottle is 93 proof.
The 100 year tribute bottle is 100 proof.
MW03
AG
One bottle I always but if I see it is Booker's. Nursing a glass of 2019-04 "Beaten Biscuits" now.
Sazerac
AG
Never seen one of those bottles outside of a bar
TamuKid
AG
Revisiting Dickel BiB tonight. Still just has something weird to it. I sort of don't mind it because it's different and makes me think about what I'm tasting. But it's not particularly enjoyable.
ClickClack
AG
MW03 said:

One bottle I always but if I see it is Booker's. Nursing a glass of 2019-04 "Beaten Biscuits" now.

Beaten biscuits on my shelf now. I've enjoyed it.
CactusThomas
AG
I did a blind tasting of some bonded bourbons and Dickel was fifth out of five. Its not that its bad.. but I wont buy it again. Very distinctly Dickel. Which I thought I would like but at that low proof it's not nearly as enjoyable.
StEdsCOOG
betadawg1 said:

Since Elmer T. Lee was being discussed. Here is a picture of 3 different bottles.

The normal bottle is 90 proof.
The death bottle is 93 proof.
The 100 year tribute bottle is 100 proof.
Have you tried looking for the 90th birthday bottle from 2009?
betadawg1
AG
StEdsCOOG said:

Have you tried looking for the 90th birthday bottle from 2009?

I have but no luck. I really want a 107 proof.
Naveronski
AG
Bigfootisreal said:

Got a bottle of Woodford Reserve Double Oak this weekend- very tasty!

My wife brought some home a couple of weeks ago, and I agree. Very good.
MOCO9
AG
Just picked up a bottle of Bombergers. Very excited to try it.

Also, I have a bottle of Willett Family Reserve Rye 4 year I am willing to consider trading in the houston area for a good bourbon.
William Larue Weller
AG
SpiderDude said:

Trump 2020 said:

AggBock said:

Are you guys having difficulty finding rock hill farms? Picked up a few last week.

RHF is my #1 unicorn right now (other than CYPB, which I've given up on). Where on earth did you find a few?

I would trade my RHF for an EHTBP or Weller BP.
CharlieBrown17
AG
EHTBP RHF is pretty close in secondary right now honestly
William Larue Weller
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

EHTBP RHF is pretty close in secondary right now honestly

Idk what secondary you're looking at... I'm seeing RHF going for about $225 and EHTBP for about $375-400
agcrock2005
AG
MD Anderson said I'd be dead 14 years ago...clean scan yesterday so I opened some new bottles (excluding Old Ezra) to celebrate with some friends.

RHF lived up to the hype. Very smooth and great flavor.
MM RC6 wasn't as good as I had hoped. Little spicy and tasted like a higher proof than what it was.
OE7 was great for a 110 proof bourbon. Liked it better than when I opened bottle a few months back.
Blantons Black (can't remember who but I traded with someone on this thread for it) was different than I had expected but very good. Was much sweeter than any other Blantons I have had before. Only 80 proof so maybe that has something to do with it.
Dickel is garbage. Wish I hadn't opened and had traded to someone who likes it since apparently it's hard to find.
BeardofZeus01
AG
AC2005, I know you're relatively close to me based on previous posts. I'm a self admitted Dickel homer and enjoy the Dickel BiB very much. Happy to take it off your hands before you let it get dusty. I can look when I get home and see if I have something open that I'm not fond of, that you may want to trade for.

And congrats on the clean scan!!
First Page Last Page
Page 448 of 1096

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.